Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Feedback & Suggestions
Matt the Merciless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote        
Alright so I've been a member of Midorea for about 2 days now, and I feel I've seen enough that I can give some feedback on things I think should be different, and on things that I think work really well.

The Character and Battle system

is a very neat aspect of the site, but it is very clearly not finished or polished. It would be nice to see less question marks for items, monsters, and classes. And it would also be nice if we had a better understanding of stats, race, element, and alignment before we are told we need to pick these and make a character.

When getting into the battle system, the first 2 levels are fine and can be easily dealt with, however once I hit level 3 I noticed something that made me stop using the system for the moment.
Rewards are not tied to the level of the creature you defeat.
Unless I saw things incorrectly, it didn't seem that the effort I spent trying to defeat a stronger creature was being rewarded with appropriately more silver or experience than a lower level creature. This is discouraging because I know I will have to spend more silver to buy more expensive and powerful weapons, and that basically equates to me having to spend significantly more silver just to earn the same amount I was earning at a lower level.
2. Defending seems like a waste of an action. I've only used Defend to see how it works, and all it does is stop their attack. This is a waste of a turn because you cannot predict when the enemy is going to hit your character, so there is no way to prevent serious damage other than to spam Defend, which will only lead to getting nothing done, as no damage will be dealt to either you or the enemy. So the Defend button, to me, is basically a stalemate button because it accomplishes nothing but wasting a turn.

The Battle system is something I would really like to see become a completed system worth investing more time and silver into.

The Avatar system

The avatar page on Midorea is very nice. Being able to see all of the layers and all of the items you own under a specific layer is absolutely fantastic. There is 0 confusion over whether or not an item will replace another item. The one downside to this is that there is a long list of the layers that doesn't seem to go in any kind of order. Hair accessories is at the beginning, while Hair itself is somewhere towards the end. A better way to order the layers would be nice. Besides that one little gripe, the avatar system is

The art of the avatars and the items is very nice. You can see the difference in quality in some items, but overall they all seem to be on the same level and look very nice. My only problem is that male and female faces look almost identical, though it seems this site has a bit of a problem with male oriented items and such, which is understandable and is already something being looked into, so I don't need to go any further into that.

The Shops

Navigating the shops is very easy in their current state. Without a lot of items, there doesn't need to be any kind of sorting system, so the page system works nice how it is. There's a conveniently labeled tab to get to them, and they are all in list form with their small description. This is perfect. It's exactly how shops should work on an avatar site, and I was very happy to see this.

What does not make me happy about the shops is the lack of price labeling and labeling of what items are for males or females. The Newbie shop does say you are paying with Copper, but it is not clearly labeled on the item descriptions. The Gold shop does not say the currency used in that shop is Gold. Where the "Price" is under the item descriptions, there should also be an indication as to which currency is going to be used to buy the items.
At this time, the only way you can tell an item is wearable by males or females is by using the avatar creation system. That is far from an ideal way to tell what I am buying. There should be an indication on the item description whether or not the item fits the male or female base. Also, when you click the Info button to preview the item, there should be a preview of both the male and female poses as well.
And one last thing that should be shown on items is the layer slot that they fit in, so you know where you will be equipping them

Site Layout and Graphics

I have nothing but praise for the way the site presents itself. The color scheme is unique and easy on the eyes, a great combination. The rounded tabs and font style of the title and words on the tabs are all great. The leaf symbol that seems to be the main symbol of Midorea is also simple, but nice to look at, especially next to all of the forums on the main page. The emotes are also fantastic. The Duh , Happy , Hai , and Oh Mai are by far my favorite emotes, as I have always wanted goofy faces like those to use on forums.

Overall

I feel that there is a lot that needs to be worked on and tweaked, however I think that what exists now is a very good basis to work on. So overall, no, it's not perfect, and I think people are fully aware of this, but it is still very good, and I do plan on sticking around to watch it improve and grow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote        
I hope that I regard everything in this post. Duh If I miss anything, please tell me.

BatSys:
Yep, the question marks kill me too. Sadly, we don't have the time or resources to spend on the art.

Currently, there's no way to scale rewards to level. Some monsters drop an item called Bag of Silver, which grants a random amount of silver that IS scaled to your level. Those make some battles more worthwhile, but not all. I'm personally hoping to see monster drops that will give users a little more bang for their buck.

The defend button has been addressed by another feedback thread. That user suggested for the button to regenerate a little bit of MP or HP, with the possibility of failing. What are your thoughts on that?

We've discussed changing the avatars system up a bit to better suit what you're suggesting. The reason that the layers are listed like that is because the first one is the top layer, and the last one is the bottom layer. Items stack like that. Technically though we could change it, but I honestly don't see the point.

How do you suggest to make the faces more masculine? We've tried changing it, but the result doesn't always turn out very well.

Shops:
I think that some items indicate whether they are unisexed or not, but definitely not all. I can ask the admin about personally going in to make those indications.

The preview system was being worked on by our developer, but it was never finished after he vanished. Hopefully we can see improvements on it in the future though.

That's an interesting suggestion, but how do you propose we implement it? And what about items that can go on more than one layer? I think that it may cause unneeded clutter in the shops, but maybe that could go with the other information when you click on the info button.

Layout:
Thank you. That really means a lot because we went through hell trying to make a pleasing layout that still fit our "style" if you will. People used to complain about the green but we didn't want to take it away because green and blue are just our colors. It took months and months of work, so I'm glad to see that the layout it appreciated.

Overall:
I'm glad that you think that way. Hopefully with time and money, we can tweak the site in the areas that need it most. Because really, that's all that hinders us right now.

Matt the Merciless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote        
Chu wrote:
I hope that I regard everything in this post. Duh If I miss anything, please tell me.

BatSys:
The defend button has been addressed by another feedback thread. That user suggested for the button to regenerate a little bit of MP or HP, with the possibility of failing. What are your thoughts on that?

How do you suggest to make the faces more masculine? We've tried changing it, but the result doesn't always turn out very well.

Shops:
That's an interesting suggestion, but how do you propose we implement it? And what about items that can go on more than one layer? I think that it may cause unneeded clutter in the shops, but maybe that could go with the other information when you click on the info button.

In regards to the Defend button, I'm not sure what can be done to make it better really. If it regenerated health than it would be too easy too win, I can tell you that much haha
You could sit and defend once you get low on health, attack some, defend and heal, attack some, and repeat until you win.

For making the avatar faces more masculine, I think a lot of that would come with eyebrows, eye shapes, and hairstyles.

Labeling the layers in the extended info page would be the ideal way to list them I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote        
Then what if it strictly regenerated MP? If only one or two points at a time, with a high fail rate.

New masculine eyebrows, eyes and hair. Got it. XD

Alright. I'll see if that can be done.

Matt the Merciless

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote        
Is the MP just for magic spells?
I'm someone who doesn't use magic, so that is meaningless to me, but that does seem like something that would sweeten the deal a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, that's what it is.

Magicians and the like really get the short end of the stick with this battle system, so it'd be nice for them to be catered to one way or another.

Hollow cost

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote        
I couldn't of put it more eloquently myself.
I even agree on the color scheme.
I find it pleasing as well.

Also, the MP regenerating Defend button sounds like it would be nice for the magic users.
Though, I destroyed my magician. xD
Maeve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote        
Matt the Merciless wrote:
And it would also be nice if we had a better understanding of stats, race, element, and alignment before we are told we need to pick these and make a character.

You can get some extra info about all the races, elements and other things by clicking the links under them. I think it was something like "Information about that tribe / element".
And for easy use I keep a list of everything in the Newcomers Help Center (linked in my signature).
I'd like to get some battle system/ character creation tutorial one day. Basically something that guides you through the different step of making a character and explains everything along the way, but it would most likely need some recoding, which means more time and money...

What about having a Rest button instead of a Defend?
Basically, it would be like the attack one, but you can choose MP or HP. Then you click rest, which uses a turn and give you a small amount of HP or MP (whichever you chose, and only a small amount), and also has a fail rate.

And thanks for sharing your thoughts. ^^
It's always nice to hear what users have to say, so that hopefully we can make the site more pleasant for them.