Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Tieru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote        
Aaya-tan- I agree. It depends on how you draw to determine how your men and women look. Practicing both does help though ;D

For me, I guess you could say I can draw men and women. It's more of a "my guys are feminine and so are my girls", but that's just my style. I do draw men sometimes more masculinly, but not too much because then they'd look akward when I draw them. My style just happens to be feminine, so my guys are affected by it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote        

It's probably a generational thing. I'd be willing to venture a guess that because yours is a generation that anime has so heavily affected, that's why your art comes out in a way that when males ARE drawn, they come out feminine. It's the norm for that art style so nobody questions it, because that's just the way it's done and that's how we're used to seeing it. I think a partial reason for that may be because of the way anime had fundamentally started. Anime was made to SAVE TIME. You save a lot of time by not animating backgrounds, animating only parts of the foreground when appropriate, and by giving most all characters the same basic shape.

LOL UR FACE wrote:
That was a mouth-full.

Ah, my work here is done.
Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote        
Do you want toknow what my problem is? I cant draw at all. That is mostly my problem. No amount of practice helps either.
futaba_tan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote        
lol I tend to ONLY draw men. I occasionally draw a girl here and there, and girls are great for their curves, but nothing is more fun to me than drawing a hot guy.

I really dunno why, but that's just how I am. Muscles, yummo.
kaishi
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote        
I can draw either with relative ease. I used to draw guys really girly-looking, like a yaoi manga gone all wrong, but have evolved over the years to draw them looking like men. Then again, my art has slowly become less anime as time goes on.
I think it's a little difficult to draw men, especially if you're drawing anime style, simply because it's difficult to make them look like men in the first place. lol
Prince_Phobos

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote        
More often than not I draw men. Most of them are a little feminine, but I can draw sort of manly men too. I don't have a love for tons of muscles, so if I add muscle mass it's just toned, I suppose slightly athletic.

I do need to practice doing muscles a little, it's hard. If I do muscular arms, they just look kind of fat. My art needs a lot of work done on it.

Unfortunately it seems that my females might look a little manly unless they're drawn along-side my males. Haha, but it's fairly easy for me to draw both when it comes right down to it. >> Now if only I could draw them more realistically, that'd be lovely... And doing them in not so static poses would be even better.

Veriantor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote        
I can draw both. I attend to draw males more then females but I'm good at drawing both.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
I draw a lot of men, always have. My men were never "girly" or "feminine". They were just normal guys, or buff men, or lean or SUPER BUFF CRAZY MEN.
I like drawing women, but I find curves difficult to draw. :\ It's always a bit of a struggle to get everything RIGHT. [And I'm a girl, you think it'd be easy LOL ITS NOT]

I heard somewhere that we draw the opposite gender more often than we draw our own. It's true for me. Is that true for you guys?

@Ah-dee I love the free feeling of cartooning too! There's nothing like being able to cut loose and really CAPTURE a certain feel or emotion without restraint. Bouncy Heart

Wondering why I'm

NAKED???

Check back after the event for

The First Ever Naked Day Celebration!
Berlin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote        
Actually.

I draw both, but my women always end up looking pretty masculine. I've been getting better, but I shouldn't have this big of an issue drawing my own gender.

Most people's issues aren't in the body though. From what I've seen they are in the facial structures, which a lot of people don't like to vary from person to person. They like the way they draw one set of eyes or just one nose and refuse to draw anything but those features and face shapes. And you really should vary what you draw.

At least that is my issue. Happy
Txenriks

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote        
I can draw both male and female characters. But for some reason the majority of the people I draw are males... haha. That might be good, since I basically give my girls comic book character type bodies... too curvy... |D;;

What Hawk said about people not varying the facial structure is true, though. Drawing in an anime-like style is perfectly fine, but something I've seen is that doing so tends to lock people into only drawing people in one particular way. Androgynous can be really pretty and beautiful, sure, but there's other ways to draw good-looking people that are more realistic and true to humankind's unique features.

For example! There's nothing nicer (to me) than seeing a male character thats gorgeous, yet still manages to NOT look like a girl.

Did you ever notice that the most popular artists are usually the ones who are able to capture variety in their characters? Someone I watch on DA once said that with good artists, you should be able to tell between their characters even if they were drawn naked and bald. I'm doing my very best to eventually get to that point.
Berlin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote        
Continuing on the point Txenriks made of naked and bald, it is also good if you can tell a difference in you're characters' body structures and poses when you make them a silhouette. It's a fun practice and helps you get to know your characters in a new way.
kaishi
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote        
glimpse wrote:
I heard somewhere that we draw the opposite gender more often than we draw our own. It's true for me. Is that true for you guys?

Nope, I tend to draw more women than men. xD I'd like to say it's about equal, but I'd probably be lying.
glimpse

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote        
@kaishi Luckkkyyy. D:

I'm drawing some female avatars right now and it's killing me. But at least it is great practice. (:

Wondering why I'm

NAKED???

kaishi
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote        
glimpse wrote:
@kaishi Luckkkyyy. D:

I'm drawing some female avatars right now and it's killing me. But at least it is great practice. (:

I think my art thread is entirely made up of women, actually XD *die* Which is sad, because I really do enjoy drawing men... maybe I will upload some?

And yesss practice drawing the curves! It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

DA Gallery || Tumblr || Art Thread || Check out my art shop!
glimpse

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote        
Oh wait I remember you! :O

I saw your art thread before and I remember thinking about how well you drew women. Your art really is adorable! Bouncy Heart

My problem is that I don't have 'the flow' going when I draw female characters most of the time, do you know what I mean? It doesn't look natural. But I have gotten better over the years, so it's just going to take more work. x)

Do you remember if you started off drawing mostly males, or mostly females? I started off drawing males, so maybe that's why I have an issue. D:

Wondering why I'm

NAKED???

Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next