Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Which do you prefer?
Anime
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Manga
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Both
65%
 65%  [ 17 ]
Neither
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 26

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote        
I’m absolutely terrible at choosing interesting anime so I decided to make a thread filled with anime/manga that people find interesting. This is meant for anyone that’s looking for something new, and I’ll try to keep it as organized as possible. If you want to recommend something, please fill out the form! Happy Thanks for your help.

I’ll make an example that everyone knows well. xP

Title: Inuyasha
Type: Anime/manga
Genre: Romance/fantasy/action/adventure; basically anything under the sun.
User’s opinion: It’s kinda overrated but if you get over that, it’s okay.

Code:
[b]Title[/b]:
[b]Type[/b]:
[b]Genre[/b]:
[b]User’s opinion[/b]:

ALSO! Please inform us of whether your recommendation is actually finished or not. T^T I got into Vampire Knight only to find out that I have to wait a week at a time for new episodes. No fair…

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote        
So here are the lists. ^_^ They’re sorted alphabetically. If you want to check out any of these online, there are good anime and manga sites out there. (Also see Mangafox.)

Anime:
Title: Blood +
Type: Anime
Genre: Angst/Action/Adventure/Supernatural
User’s opinion: (Is there a manga of this? I haven’t found one.) Very good. It has a hint of romance and for a fanatic such as myself you'd think I wouldn't be satisfied but this is simply enchanting. It really does leave you yearning for a sequel though. :[

Title: Princess Tutu
Genre: Comedy/drama/romance
User’s opinion: Ah, another adorable one. I found this particularly interesting because it involves ballet. :D It has an interesting plot but can be a bit hard to follow.

Title: Gundam Wing
Rating: G-PG
Genre: Giant Robot, Sci-Fi
User’s opinion: It's a classic! If you havn't watched it, then do it now! Awsome storyline, nice art and fantastic characterisation.

Title: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Genre: Action/Mecha
User’s opinion: It's one of my favorite anime. It's chock full of action, mechas, and super awesome characters doing super awesome things.

Title: Excel Saga
Genre: Comedy
Comments: Completely insane, very hectic; mostly ridiculous stuff without a major discernible plot but highly entertaining if you're not looking for a major story

Title: Technolyze
Genre: sci-fi
Comments: Very good, based on the little i've seen, post-apocalyptic, widespread use of cybernetic limbs in the higher class, story based around a lower class man who was given limbs by a scientist looking for experiment subjects

Title: Lain
Genre: Sci-fi
Comments: Weeeird stuff, but darn good. Very in depth, somewhat confusing, about a girl and the differences between the cyber world and the real world

Title: Papuwa Island
Type: anime
Genre: comedy
User’s opinion: If you can find this, WATCH IT. It's like, the Monty Python of anime. Juvenile humor, but really funny, and the art is fantastic! (Make sure you're watching the new season though, not the old one from the 90s!) Complete.

Title: Twelve Kingdoms
Genre: adventure/fantasy
User’s opinion: good, nice art, but really long. If you don't like political stuff, probably don't watch this, there's quite a bit. Complete.

Title: Mushi-shi
Genre: fantasy
User’s opinion: AMAZING. Interesting art, great storyline, great characters. Original. Completed.

Title:Ronin Warriors
Type:Anime
Genre:Action/ Adventure
User’s opinion:Basically old school for the win. It might not be the top of the line animation but the story and cheeses~ness of it makes up in the long run. Complete Series

Title:Chibi Mariko
Type:Anime
Genre:Children's show
User’s opinion:Ever Sunday Japanese families gather 'round for this plucky little elementary schoolers adventures. Great if you are trying to learn Japanese as it for the most part is simple enough to under stand and at the very least is funny. On Going// Has a Completed Live Action version I believe.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote        

Manga:
Title: Meru Puri
Type: Manga
Genre: Romance/fantasy/comedy
User’s opinion: It’s a cute, extremely short read. (Four volumes.) There's a rumor going about that an anime will be made but I'm not sure.

Title: Petshop of Horrors
Rating: M/PG 15+ (it has alot of themes younger people probably won't get)
Type: Manga (not the shitty OVAs, they're not worth watching)
Genre: Thriller/Slight Horror/Comedy/Mystery/Detective/Gay themes/Mystic/Gods on earth/Spiritual/you name it it's in there (except giant robots. xD)
User’s opinion: Absolutely fantastic series. It's about Count D's petshop and each story has a little moral. It's not really that horrory compared to virtually any video game or movie you pick up now days but it does have afew scenes that arn't for the squemish. It does have gay themes so if that offends you don't read it. It's a fucking awsome manga with awsome art and one of the best stories i've come across. Strong recomendation from me. <3

Title: Absolute Boyfriend
Genre: comedy, live action, romance, sci-fi, shoujo
User’s opinion: Very interesting. Also good drawing. I just love it. <3

Title: 7 Seeds
Genre: Horror/adventure/drama/shoujo
User’s opinion: The story isn't finished yet (rather, the translations aren't.) However, it is exceptionally good, beautiful art, and a sort of heart-wrenching story. It makes my heart ache, the setting, the characters, and the psychological twists and turns are what makes the story. The fact is, it's not really scary, it's more or less a little sad, and painful.

Title: BioMeat - Nectar
Genre: Horror/shounen
User’s opinion: This one has funny parts, sad parts, and weird parts. Good story; in a way it's scary, but not and it's also a bit futuristic. Good read if you're not into mushy romance stuff and more into fighting, fear, and adorable characters.

Title: Count Cain(GodChild and Count Cain Saga)
Genre: historical/horror/ mystery/psychological/shoujo/shounen-ai/tragedy
User’s opinion: Amazing, just amazing. Kaori Yuki always has good story-lines, of course this one is a little odd, but beautiful. The fact is, both series' make my heart ache, and maybe scare me just a little; it is weird, very weird indeed, but awesomely written.

Title: Banana Fish
Genre: Shojo
User’s opinion: Good story, very 1980's art. It's actually very interesting, funny, sad, and good. No fantasy, just good 'ol crime, drugs, and New York City.

Title: Parasyte
Genre: horror/psychological/seinen/supernatural
User’s opinion:This one's good, made me really happy to read. All I have to say is: aliens, teenagers, and murder.

Title: Model
Type: Manga (Korean)
Genre: horror/romance
Comments: Love this manga, only 7 volumes long, about an artist who is commissioned to do a portrait, sort of on a bet, of a vampire and goes to live in his house.

Title: Snow Drop
Type: Manga (Korean)
Genre: romance/comedy
Comments: Cute story, very reminiscent of Mars or something like it, rich lonely girl, poor outgoing guy, madness ensues and romance buds

Title: Qwan
Genre: Fantasy/no idea
User’s opinion: Not finished yet, but interesting and worth a read- if you can find it.

Title: King of Thorn
Type: manga
Genre: Survival/actiuon
User’s opinion: If you can find this READ IT. It's amazing. It's very different, and the series is complete.

Title: Immortal Rain
Genre: Shojo/Action
User’s opinion: Cute, good art, fun to read. Not completed.'

Title: Eternal Sabbath or ES
Genre: Sci-Fi i believe
User’s opinion: For mature readers. It's by the same author/manga-ka of Mars. Very beautifully done and extensively detailed. It's a fairly short series but very action packed and emotional.

Title: Mars
Genre: Shoujo
User’s opinion: Love this series. It's very beautiful, both the story and the characters. Highly recommend reading.

Title: Nana
User’s opinion: The art is a little weird but the story is great. I enjoy reading it.

Title: Demon Diaries
Genre: Fantasy
User’s opinion: Beautiful art work, great plot and awesome characters.

Title: Boys Before Flowers
User’s opinion: Very cutesy but unrealistic. Very fun to read however

Title: Trash
Genre: Comedy
User’s opinion: Really funny. Very slight yaoi undertones, but gorgeous art and a great story line. Unfortunatley, it's not even close to being complete yet.

Title: Crescent Moon
Genre: Shojo
User’s opinion: Cute, if you like that sort of thing. The arts not great, but it's ok, sos so storyline. Still good for a read if you're bored. Complete.

Title: After School Nightmare
Genre: shoujo // gender bender // horror // drama // mystery // psychological // romance (lol,that's a lot xD)
User’s opinion: It's a nice manga, the art is a bit unusual for me,but it's still really beautiful. I wouldn't really say that the manga is a horror. It has creepy moments, but nothing too scary... for now xD

Title: Yubikiri Hime (Pinky Promise Princess)
Genre: drama // horror // one shot
User’s opinion: A cute story by mangaka Sumomo Yumeka (a personal fave! All her stories are a must-read). A story about a creepy little girl & how we must keep our promises! Smile

Title: My Girl
Genre: drama // seinen // slice of life
User’s opinion: Sahara Mizu is another pen name for Sumomo Yumeka. A story about a young man, who discovers he has a 5 year old daughter. An absolutely amazing story that made me cry three times in the first two chapters! XD

Title: Fetish
Genre: drama // horror // josei // mature // psychological // romance // tragedy
User’s opinion: A collection of one shots by mangaka Fujiwara Kaoru. Breathtaking art & great stories. NB! Chapter 3 contains graphic sexual content.

Title: Zombie Loan
Genre: action, adventure, comedy, drama, horror, supernatural
User’s opinion: It had a really interesting plot and it's kind of hard to explain. I'm currently reading this series and it's been treating me pretty well so far. C:
Has some non-pg13 content! Naked female bodies without explicit details and some Yuri qualities in a few pages.

[b]Title
:Legal Drug
Type:Manga
Genre:CLAMP
User’s opinion:Another wonderful series by CLAMP that is on an indefinite hold but the first 4 books are worth your time. !!Young Adults!!

Title: Superior
Genre: action, fantasy, shoujo
User’s opinion: A few bits of blood (it can be extremely creepy in one particular part). The characters have cool designs, and the manga can pull you in. Original storyline, and cute/romantic scenes scattered throughout.

Title: Ice Revolution
Genre: shounen, sports
User’s opinion: Probably the only light-hearted manga in this list. xD I only found this recently, but I fell in love. The only sports manga that I've ever liked. Hilarious facial expressions (made me laugh out loud). Cute/fluffy scenes. n_n It can make you go 'yes!' when the main character tries and fails many times, but finally suceeds.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote        
Anime/Manga:
Title: Inuyasha
Genre: Romance/fantasy/action/adventure; basically anything under the sun.
User’s opinion: It’s kinda overrated but if you get over that, it’s okay. I don't think it's finished...

Title: Vampire Knight (Vampire Knight: Guilty is the sequel)
Genre: Romance/fantasy/drama
User’s opinion: Absolutely wonderful. The anime isn’t finished so I’m catching up on the manga chapters while I wait for updates. ^^; Bishie implications are made.

Title: Fruits Basket
Type: Anime/Manga
Genre: Comedy/Drama/Romance
User’s opinion: It is just too cute. <33 I'm sure we've all at least heard of it but it simply must be added.

Title: Ouran High School Host Club
Type: Anime/Manga
Genre: Comedy/drama/romance
User’s opinion: The manga is much deeper than the anime, so I suggest watching the anime first. This is cute, and I absolutely fell for Kyouya. Don’t let the anime turn you away! It almost did for me, too. Read the manga and you’ll love it! The best comedic anime/manga series I’ve ever seen.

Title:Bleach
Type: Anime and Manga
Genre: Action/Comedy/Romance(at least they tease us with it on multiple occasions >.<)
User’s opinion: It's a fantastic classic anime. Even the filler is good. There's a ton of episodes and it's still running, so you'll never be bored. There's a character for everyone!

Title:Fullmetal Alchemist
Type:Manga (There is also an anime but it doesn't size up in the least because they made it after only 4 volumes of the manga were released)
Genre:Action/Mystery?
User’s opinion:Ed is my anime crush, touch him and i'll break your neck.... It's an awesome series but I can't stand the wait between volumes

Title: RockMan.exe (aka, MegaMan NT Warrior in America)
Type: Both anime and manga
Genre: Action/comedy
User’s opinion: Personally, I much prefer the manga over the anime, but that's mainly because they stick to it's original story more. RockMan.exe is based off a video game under the same title (But it has the words Battle Network at the end). If you're looking for a touching story, I'd suggest reading the manga. If you're just in it for the action, the anime's the way to go.

Unfortunately, only the first two seasons of the anime are in English, and the third season, for some reason, was never subbed by fan subbers (only the first four episodes are), but the rest you should be able to easily find with subs. =) The entire manga series, however, has been completely translated into English. There was also movie made for it, which has been subbed into English.

Title: Hellsing (the original series, not the shitty OVAs)
Rating: M/MA 16-18+ (warning for gore and adult themes)
Type: Anime (though the manga is awsome too)
Genre: Vampire, Horror, Fantasy, Religious
User’s opinion: If your squeemish to animated blood or guts then don't bother even trying. Allthough painted in blood it's one of the best anime i've ever come across with a fantastic storyline, catchy music (i know people who'd never seen the series who own the soundtrack), and interesting characters. Oh and if you take religion seriously you may not want to watch this since it may offend some of your beliefs.

Title: Evangelion
Rating: M 16+ (just because anyone younger than that is likely to get lost quickly, unless they have a fucked up abusive background of their own and knowledge of religion)
Type: Anime/Manga/Movies
Genre: Giant Robot, Sci-Fi, Religious
User’s opinion: Again as with Hellsing if you take religion seriously you may not want to watch this since it may offend some of your beliefs.

Another classic. If you havn't seen it you should, just be prepared for a mind fuck. It's a fucking awsome series and i'm suprised noone else has posted a recomendation since it's so bloody famous.

Title: Monster
Type: Anime & Manga
Genre: Horror
User’s opinion: Great mystery story! I'd recommend them all.

Title: Yu Yu Hakusho
Type: Both
User’s opinion: Good story as well, deep plot, and lots of action! Demons vs. Humans!

Title: Trinity Blood
Type: Manga/anime
Genre: Action
User’s opinion: Slightly overdone, but well written with BEAUTIFUL art and likable characters. Is Complete.

Title: Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei)
Type: anime/manga
Genre: horror/shonen ai (sort of)
User’s opinion: I love this. The art is beautiful, I love the characters and the story. The anime is complete, though not very impressive, the books are up to eleven.

Title: Tsubasa
Genre: Adventure
User’s opinion: Manga is beautiful (not yet complete) the music from the anime is really good, but the anime itself is horrible. Read but don't watch. Not complete.

Title: Chrono Crusade
Genre: adventure/fantasy/what
User’s opinion: I love this. The manga and the anime are both finished, and both good. They're also pretty different plot-wise. The characters are very well developed.

Title: xxxHolic
Genre: fantasy
User’s opinion: Good, lots of fun stuff about mythology and spirits. Both the anime and the manga are good, (manga is better) but I think only the anime is complete.

Title: Code Geass
Genre: I don't have a clue
User’s opinion: Really good. The manga and the anime are way different, so it's fun to experience both of them. Neither of them are complete yet though. The anime is on it's second season.

Title: R.O.D (Read or Die)
Type: manga/anime
Genre: action
User’s opinion: This one is just fun. Rather original. Can't vouch for the manga, but the anime is pretty good. Both are complete.

Title: Peach Girl
Type: Manga/Anime
User’s opinion: I really love this series. The art is beautiful. The characters are complex and the plot is amazing. I confess I cried a few times while reading this series.

Title: Basilisk
Type: Anime/ manga
Genre: horror
User’s opinion: Really good. Really graphic though, so if you're not into people dying in horrible gruesome ways, stay away. I think the anime is complete, I don't know about the manga.

Title:Claymore
Type:Anime/Manga
Genre:Action/ Adventure/Shounen Jump
User’s opinion:Not on the light and fluffy side of things but the story is pretty darn good none the less. Anime is ok to a point but the manga is better thus far. Anime is complete not sure on the Manga.

Title:Ghost in a Shell Stand Alone Complex and Second Gig
Type:Anime/Manga(Never read but dose exist)
Genre:Action/ Adventure !!Young Adult!! Violence and other young Adult themes
User’s opinion: Who can resist the Tachikomas? This arc in the very long saga of Ghost in a Shell is one of the best animation, music and story wise.

Title:Wolfs Rain
Type:Anime/Manga
Genre:Action/ Adventure
User’s opinion: Very sad Anime but worth watching if not just for the music. Compleat

Title: Kuroshitsuji
Type: Manga/anime (I prefer the manga)
Genre: comedy, fantasy, shounen, supernatural
User’s opinion: Can be funny, but also very mood-wrenching at times. Don't read this if you can't stand a few limbs getting ripped off or people dying; the latest chapters were very bloody. I also have some minor difficulties understanding some of the complex words being used sometimes. It can really make you on the tip of your seat when reading.

Title: Amatsuki
Type: Manga/anime (I prefer the manga)
Genre: action, fantasy, historical, shounen, supernatural
User’s opinion: There's two sides/'worlds' to the story in this one, and the author switches between the two. The author presents very original and creative concepts, so it's really easy to get confused. I also find it easy to fall in love with the characters' personalities.

linkfreak131

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote        
Title: RockMan.exe (aka, MegaMan NT Warrior in America)
Type: Both anime and manga
Genre: Action/comedy
User’s opinion: Personally, I much prefer the manga over the anime, but that's mainly because they stick to it's original story more. RockMan.exe is based off a video game under the same title (But it has the words Battle Network at the end). If you're looking for a touching story, I'd suggest reading the manga. If you're just in it for the action, the anime's the way to go.

Unfortunately, only the first two seasons of the anime are in English, and the third season, for some reason, was never subbed by fan subbers (only the first four episodes are), but the rest you should be able to easily find with subs. =) The entire manga series, however, has been completely translated into English. There was also movie made for it, which has been subbed into English.

Hope that helped ya out. I really really love this series. xD

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote        
Oh, so that's the Japanese title. ^_^ Thanks; I'm glad I got a not-so-common series up there.

heyy13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote        
If you don't like plot then ignore my recomendations. xD

Title: Petshop of Horrors
Rating: M/PG 15+ (it has alot of themes younger people probably won't get)
Type: Manga (not the shitty OVAs, they're not worth watching)
Genre: Thriller/Slight Horror/Comedy/Mystery/Detective/Gay themes/Mystic/Gods on earth/Spiritual/you name it it's in there (except giant robots. xD)
User’s opinion: Absolutely fantastic series. It's about Count D's petshop and each story has a little moral. It's not really that horrory compared to virtually any video game or movie you pick up now days but it does have afew scenes that arn't for the squemish. It does have gay themes so if that offends you don't read it. It's a fucking awsome manga with awsome art and one of the best stories i've come across. Strong recomendation from me. <3

Title: Gundam Wing
Rating: G-PG
Genre: Giant Robot, Sci-Fi
User’s opinion: It's a classic! If you havn't watched it, then do it now! Awsome storyline, nice art and fantastic characterisation.

Title: Hellsing (the original series, not the shitty OVAs)
Rating: M/MA 16-18+ (warning for gore and adult themes)
Type: Anime (though the manga is awsome too)
Genre: Vampire, Horror, Fantasy, Religious
User’s opinion: If your squeemish to animated blood or guts then don't bother even trying. Allthough painted in blood it's one of the best anime i've ever come across with a fantastic storyline, catchy music (i know people who'd never seen the series who own the soundtrack), and interesting characters. Oh and if you take religion seriously you may not want to watch this since it may offend some of your beliefs.

Title: Evangelion
Rating: M 16+ (just because anyone younger than that is likely to get lost quickly, unless they have a fucked up abusive background of their own and knowledge of religion)
Type: Anime/Manga/Movies
Genre: Giant Robot, Sci-Fi, Religious
User’s opinion: Again as with Hellsing if you take religion seriously you may not want to watch this since it may offend some of your beliefs.

Another classic. If you havn't seen it you should, just be prepared for a mind fuck. It's a fucking awsome series and i'm suprised noone else has posted a recomendation since it's so bloody famous.
linkfreak131

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote        
Chu wrote:
Oh, so that's the Japanese title. ^_^ Thanks; I'm glad I got a not-so-common series up there.

Yeah, most people don't know a lot about it, since the anime wasn't in America for very long (But was SUPER big in Japan). The manga itself was just barely finished translating in Febuary of 2008. ^_^U
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote        
@Hey: Awesome. Someone mentioned Petshop of Horrors to me once but I totally forgot about it. Duh

And HOW COULD I FORGET EVANGELION? D: Hehe.

@Link: Mmm. I got into it a bit while it was around but lost interest really quickly.

Not to mention that that was back in my Pokemon days. XD

I've gotten into Sayounara Zetsubou Sensei lately but I won't make it a suggestion until I finish it. Duh

heyy13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote        
@ Chu ~ HOW COULD YOU FORGET!?! D:

Yeah, it's really great. One of my friends gave me english scans of the entire series if you want me to upload the first book for you to try? Happy
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote        
Oh, don't go through that trouble. ^^ I don't even have the time to read anything lately.

MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote        
I have two anime's! Which are both mangas too..

Title: Monster
Type: Anime & Manga
Genre: Horror
User’s opinion: Great mystery story! I'd recommend them all.

Title: Yu Yu Hakusho
Type: Both
User’s opinion: Good story as well, deep plot, and lots of action! Demons vs. Humans!

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!
heyy13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote        
@ Max ~ They sound interesting. I've heard of them both before too. *goes to add them to her to watch list*

@ Chu ~ Awww, it's no trouble. But if you don't have the time i won't worry about it. : )

I wouldn't be able to do it untill next month anyways since i'm out of downloads atm. xP
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote        
XD yuyuhakusho -
http://www.animea.net/download/204/Yu+Yu+Hakusho.html

all links to every episode, with over 5 mirrors each!

As for "Monster" its on the free list in ADC-Distro, google it =P

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!
heyy13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote        
I cannot watch anime atm. I am out of downloads. Dx

Also http://anime6.org/m6/index.php?_action=cat_browse&sid=3 has a shitload of anime to watch online. : D (seeing as we're contributing links)