Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
ecco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote        
yea, its total crap. for a start, i dont believe in equality anyway - its an ideal that simply doesnt exist, and never will. as for "equal treatment" it makes sense to a certain extent but each child should be treated how they deserve to be treated.

ie they need to start actually rewarding kids that are quiet in class and do their homework on time, who are trying their best to succeed - wether theyre super smart or only capable of low grades (cos lets face it, some people just dont have as much capacity as others, same as some people are hopeless at playing an instrument or sports) it should be based on attitude. the kids who screw around, cos trouble in class, are rude and dont do their work should be punished for doing so.

cos really, i stoped giving a shit in school when i realised i'd been the good kid all year and been ignored for it, and all the kids who mess around every day got rewarded for like... shutting up for 1 lesson or some shit. it made me so angry i stopped caring, and end up failing for it.

ugh.... i could go on... but i should probably cut myself short there XD

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote        
Exactly! Most people that I have this discussion with seem to think that I'm a monster just because I realize that true equality is merely an ideal. And the learning process isn't only memorization and application, it's a process of reward and punishment. A single psychology lesson can tell you that. If a child does well, even simple acknowledgment will be reward enough for them to find the initiative to move further - the same applies to adults as well. Without a system of reward and punishment, coupled with some competition, no one has any motivation to move further.

I was in a debate similar to this in my English class - I was defending the point that each person has their own strengths that they should work on rather than fruitlessly trying to bring up weaknesses and the other guy was saying that anyone could be nurtured to do anything. What was pissing me off so much was that he actually agreed with me but decided to play Devil's advocate but because he's so intelligent and intimidating everyone was agreeing with him. x_X

Okay, so that's a totally different rant. Sorry, I just really hate the "blind sheep" attribute of most people.

ecco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote        
i think you're possibely the first person to agree with me about equality, also XD tho admittedly, its one of the few things i dont speak terribely openly about because i am a little afraid of what people will think - not normally something that crosses my mind, but this is something that can easily be taken the wrong way ie towards racism, sexism, homophobia etc. tho of course thats not what i mean by it, but im sure i dont need to explain that to you XD

i have suffered for a long long time with motivation. ie i lack it severely. i think it is because i went for so long being told it was never good enough that i no longer care what anyone else wants from me, im only going to do what im comfortable doing. and turns out im too comfortable doing... not much!

i agree with you, tho. people should not be denied a job just because they dont have a good english, maths or science GCSE. its ridiculous that a grade in science could affect your chances of a job in retail or something. who cares? people should do what they enjoy and what theyre good at. a healthy combination of the two would be perfect. shame our governments dont seem to agree.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote        
Unlike you, I'm not afraid to offend people. xP It's true that this type of thing could be taken the wrong way, but that can always be cleared up.

I don't feel much motivation for things unless I know that I'm helping someone, or at least affecting them. That's exactly why I've been having so much trouble lately. Y'see, I never realized it, but I've never really formed a true sense of self. All of the goals that I've ever made are merely built upon the expectations of others. I've always worked to please people, but at some point I went to far and stopped working for myself. All of the good grades, the awards, the recognition, it feels so hallow. At this point, I don't know which parts of me are me and which parts are others trying to speak for me. Knowing this, I'm afraid to take a step in any direction because I don't want to live a life that's only built upon someone else's dreams.

I think that the "me" is telling me to not go to college, work as much as I can at minimum wage with Sam as he gets his future straightened out, and eventually settle down as a housewife and writer. But... I dunno. There's an odd feeling that I get when I play this out. I can't envision it. With all of my previous goals - teacher, lawyer, therapist, forensic investigator - I could actually see myself doing any of them. I still can. I can't see anything when I try to imagine housewife though. At the same time, it doesn't feel completely bad. Maybe even a little comforting. But I don't know if I should trust it.

Oh God, I got way off subject. DX That's been riding on my mind a lot lately, so I'm just gonna post it to get it off my chest. Otherwise I'll just keep thinking about it.

Anyway, I think that everyone falls into that rut that you're in once in a while. Sometimes you just need to find something that you're passionate about to get you out of it.

Last paragraph:
Exactly! It kills me to know that people are forced out of their professions, and even dreams, not because of incompetence but because they never bothered to learn some useless subject back in high school. Really? It baffles me that a system like that would be made in the first place.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote        
Hey, guys. I don't have time to read the submissions today, but I changed the word and I'll be sure to announce the winner of yesterday's drabble tomorrow. Remember, the weekly short is due tomorrow too before the theme changes!

ecco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
hehe, i wouldnt say im afraid to offend people, tho i suppose it does depend what about. i think mostly im afraid of my words being misinterpreted and me looking bad/stupid etc for it XD

i feel the same way, fear to step in any direction, too. though really i think thats because im very indecisive and far too aware how unpassionate and unmotivated i am. i never see things through to the end, so im scared to start something i almost certainly wont finish... counsilling is helping with that, though. thank god i got sent to see her, she has helped me turn things around for myself, even if it is just by the way i think. its a big deal <3

as for the uni vs minimum wage & housewife scenario, i think you really need to think about what you want to do RIGHT NOW! if you think you would have a good time at uni, do it... family and being a housewife can wait til you're older. doing it the other way around will be a lot harder - my mums very smart, but shes been a housewife for 20 years so she has no hope in hell of working again now. but ultimately, you just gotta go for whatever feels right. im so unsure of myself all the time, but animation is the only thing ive had a constant REAL interest in, so i thought "screw it, its better than sitting doing nothing" and applied for a degree in it Smile who knows how itll go... but im sure ill get more out of that than sitting here in my parents house looking for a full time job that i'll almost definitely hate XD

its good to get things off your chest ^^ no worries!

MelancholyMelody~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote        
Well, hello my darlings. Didja miss me?

Hopefully, soon (touch wood and cross your fingers) I'll have more time again to drop by here.

This was quite the trap you set, luring me here with a message for writing challenges in my inbox. >;3

Hey guys, as you may have noticed I'm currently not too active due to busyness, however if you need anything or just wanna drop me a line feel free to PM me, as when I check back I'm more likely to see it than posts. :3

iluglimpse Bouncy Heart
Maeve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote        
You're alive?!?

*tackle-hugs*

Now I'll make sure you never leave!
MWAHAHAHAcoughcough... Twisted Evil

MelancholyMelody~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote        
Yes, I have been living in a cave on a small island off the coast of Zanzibar for some time now. Just about got things sorted out so I can continue my plans of world d- I mean, yes. Neutral

Huuuuuuuuuuugs~ Hai ♥♥♥

Hey guys, as you may have noticed I'm currently not too active due to busyness, however if you need anything or just wanna drop me a line feel free to PM me, as when I check back I'm more likely to see it than posts. :3

iluglimpse Bouncy Heart
ecco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote        
haha i knew dropping an email around would bring people back! >:3

welcome back MM! ^-^

Maeve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote        
Was it on the same island Elvis and Marylin Monroe live on? Happy

ecco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote        
posted an entry for the theme "Waves"... i think im just before the deadline XD

its actually 107 words long, but i assume thats ok? on the basis of word limits on essays, they usually let you have 10% either way XD

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote        
I had a teacher that only put a minimum length on his syllabus and then hoped everybody would go over. Unfortunately, a lot of people took it as a maximum and gave in really short essays...

Mine were almost always double the length.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote        
These next few days aren't very good for me so I won't be online to judge much. I added all of the entries and put today's word on the list, so I'm leaving the new weekly short up to Maeve.

ecco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote        
ooooh i wonder what the new weekly one will be x3 maybe i'll have more time this week to try that one... tho these 100 word ones are really fun XD

Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next