Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote        
Fairy tale twist, eh? Well, the "Fables" graphic novels come to mind immediately, but my favorite urban fairy novel has to be Tithe. I forget who it's by, but it's REALLY good.

Padfeets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote        
100 more pages to go in The Fellowship! (: <3 <3

I don't know if I have any more stores with a twist but I have some books that I can recommend:
Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen, by Tamora Pierce
Anything by Gail Carson Levine (she's always good for the standard fantasy)
The Hobbit (love love love love)
Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
The Dragon Chronicals, by Susan Fletcher
-- I didn't like Sign of the Dove as much as the first two D:
Sirena, by Donna Jo Napoli (has some sexual themes -- meaning there is a sex scene xD )

Ana, do you mind me asking how old you are?

EDIT:
I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE IS A FOURTH NOVEL IN THE DRAGON CHRONICLE [/excited]

EDIT2:
Very large bummer...Just read into it and it looks like it is set in present day. Which isn't what I want to read about /:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote        
I'm hard at work with The Long Patrol and The Red Pyramid. I have the Pimpernel book on there for a little later.

My other goal this year, which goes really nicely with this challenge, is to read all of the Redwall books.

REDWAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!

_AnaTolia_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote        
@Padfeets :: I have read practically everything written by Gail Carson Levine and Howl's Moving Castle and the accompaniment, The House of Many Ways. I have been meaning to get the Castle in the Sky, though...

The movie (Howl's Moving Castle) was very different compared to the book.

The characters are much, much gentler.

I am 13, actually. Will be 14 in four months...

:: Book Update ::

Just Read :: The Amaranth Enchantment
Now Reading :: Life of Pi
Going to Read Next :: The Ancient One

Has anyone read Life of Pi before? I just want to know if it is a good story or not. I still have to read it for summer reading, though...

Meh Goal :: 913/8700 silver
What's my goal for? *shrugs*
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote        
@Ana: I read Life of Pi during my freshman year so I don't remember much about it. I do remember that it really dragged on for the first quarter (maybe the entire first half) though. Afterward, some things happened that sped up the plot and got my interest, but it was very hard for me to get to that point.

Again, it was my freshman year. ^^; I've matured a lot so you may not wanna go by my word.

EDIT: This post was poorly written. x.X I'm gonna go to bed now.

Padfeets

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote        
My class never was required to read it and I honestly don't have any idea what it is even about.

You should check out some Neil Gaiman (:
Start with Stardust <3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote        
My FAVORITE Gaiman book is definately Anansi Boys. I need to find a copy of Stardust.
And my cousin read Life of Pi. She said it was quite good.

Chere and Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not doing the 50 book challenge but right now I'm reading a book called "Laughing with my Mouth Full"
It's a good book for light reading.

And as an answer to the question: I prefer actual books just because there's something about flipping pages, the feel of paper and actually holding a book that feels nice.

Boredom Chat <<Page Contest
_AnaTolia_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote        
Changed the question of the week!

If you would be a character in any book, who would you be?

And the winner of last week's question would be ::
*drumroll...*

Well, it's a tie
Congratulations to Keylaleigh and Padfeets for their brilliant answers!

Keylaleigh wrote:
I'm fond of print books for a number of reasons. First off, the format for reading an e-book is so expensive! I'd rather spend seven dollars than two hundred to buy the device, and THEN seven dollars. Just... no. The second, and in my mind most important, reason is that one device looks nowhere near as awesome as an old-school shelf-spanning library. Yeah, the e-book device is much easier and can hold libraries of books on it, but I WANT MY ROLLING LADDER! I want the ability to dramatically sweep my hand as I say "Welcome to my private library." and leave onlookers in awe.
So... yeah. I'm fond of the print medium.

Padfeets wrote:
I prefer print. Books are my life. When I get money, it usually goes towards books. I can't imagine having them as e-books -- it just wouldn't be the same. I want my own private library and I agree with Key about the rolling ladder. Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted my own library with a rolling ladder. I personally own more books then my entire family combined. I love it when people walk into my little closet room and see all of my books. I especially love it when the comment on the number.
If I had all of these on e-book:
1. It would be really cluttered with all of the titles (plus I have different versions of some books which wouldn't be available as an e-book D: )
2. There would be no beautiful cover art for me to oggle at.
3. It would not be half as impressive as a room full of books.

But that doesn't mean that the other answers were not important...
Member who also did this; Chere and Rose
And that's it...
Wow, we need more people here...

Any ideas on advertising?

Padfeets

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote        
If I could be a character in a book I would be Rose from East.
I want adventure and she is such a strong character. She's brave and smart and makes friends everywhere she goes.
I don't believe she suffers any great wounds which is a plus, and she get to hang out with THOR and gets a big white fluffy bear to ride on. I love how she adapts to the troll culture and even learns the language. I just love her.

I could do without all of the siblings though. :\

I'll make a banner in my free time (:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote        

Code:
[url=http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?t=7107&highlight=][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/LadyRin1/bookchallenge-1.png[/IMG][/url]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote        
A character in a book... hmm...
If I could be any character, I would be Menolly from the Harper's Hall Series. She's a strong and independent young woman who doesn't take s**t from anybody. She also is wonderfully musically gifted. Enough to get the attention of the master harper!
But the biggest reason is her FIVE FIRE LIZARDS! I love those mini-dragons!

_AnaTolia_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote        
Thanks to Padfeets for making the banner!
I will be out until Sunday (EST) for some family business...

Padfeets

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote        
Oh I read those books! I remember liking them but when I went to read them again they lost my attention D:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote        
Lol congrats guys! And wow, I'm the only other person who participated xD

I don't know what character I'd be in a book though. It's hard to choose though characters from sci-fi and fantasy settings are really tempting. Just imagining yourself in a setting of a story is cool enough. It's hard for me to keep track of what books I've read unless they're on my shelf which isn't much since I borrow from the library more than buy. I think I like to think I'm in the book myself and pretend I'm going through what the characters are feeling rather than being one of the characters.

Boredom Chat <<Page Contest
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next