Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

If you could change the World, would you?
Yes, the Earth had some really big problems!
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
No, some things are better left un-tuched.
18%
 18%  [ 7 ]
Maybe, it depends on the change.
48%
 48%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 37

Skunkoon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote        
If you, somehow, had the opportunity to change something in the World (war/molestation/rape/etc.) ... what would you do? Explain.

Very simple yet very deep ...
ecco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote        
i'd make rape non-existant.
the ultimate form of humiliation... i cant bear the thought of it.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote        
I wouldn't change anything; even rape. (I'll elaborate on this merely because it's extremely controversial.)

I know/have known some people who have been raped before, and am quite close with a few of them. While they don't bring the subject up and make it obvious that it was a dark time in their lives, some have grown beyond it and have become stronger because of it. Such a thing challenges the will and the psyche, but I believe that if someone can get past such a thing then they can be much stronger later in life. This isn't a romanticized view either - the people that I know are direct influences for this belief.

As far as anything else, much like rape, it's all not only a test of the will but it gives us reasons to advance ourselves and look toward a future. Utopias are boring, plain and simple.

ecco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote        
i actually kind of agree with you Chu. I have also known people that it's happened to and came close to having it happen to myself, too. i do believe what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger - though, i guess that's an individual thing since everyone responds to events differently. where some people get stronger from a terrible experience others may be left completely broken. i guess i was thinking of the latter when i made that first post (that and it was a rushed post xD)

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote        
It's understandable, and honestly my way of looking at things is pretty harsh. I generally have high expectations for people; sometimes too high.

wolfiewheeee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote        
... I'm kinda unsure. I'd love to make all the world perfect and right everythng, but there's no such thing. If I did I'd fear people would find something worse.
You know what I'd love to change, but know I never can? I'd make it so there was no such thing as harmful intent. It might save many people from harm. it might make the world a better place. Might. But we'll never know...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote        
thats the problem with human nature... even if the majority have good intentions, there's always gonna be a few who actually enjoy harming others, one way or another.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote        
You also have to take mother nature into consideration. Natural disasters are always causing people pain.

Skunkoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote        
All very good points. Changing the world can be a good thing or bad thing. But the world can never really be "perfect".

Have any of you seen, "The Invention of Lying"? It talks about the world without lying. Very interesting. It seems good at first but then ...

And some things that hurt you, make you stronger and help you learn.
The Emo Duck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote        
War; I think it's pointless... We are fighting for over something that someone else started and just couldn't end on their own. Innocent people die (civilians and soldiers) and the deaths aren't helpful to either side...

Skunkoon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote        
Agreed! ^^
killerkitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote        
Me too! War is a terrible and pointless thing! I don't understand what goes on in people's heads when they attack other countries. I can't do harm on purpose to someone without feeling sick.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote        
yea, i mean i only ever lashed out at anyone once and that was because he pushed me (not physically like shoved me. its more complex than that) but even then i felt so guilty i cried immediately, even tho he had deserved it. i just dont get how people can start wars... but i guess thats cos theyre started by men in suits who dont have to kill or be killed =/

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote        
War is a necessary evil; people need to understand that it's required to earn status/respect, move forward, learn lessons, and above all, it's population control. Sacrifices must be made in order for a society to advance, so human lives or even inferior societies are definitely worth it. America, for example, would be nowhere today if countless lives weren't lost. Was it worth it? That's all a matter of opinion, but if people are able to look beyond their emotional perception of war they can see the greatness that came from it.

Plus, humanity is only a small blemish on the overall history of earth. We live, fight, and die for a greater purpose; how we die doesn't necessarily matter. In the end those lives are forgotten and society moves on because that's all it can do. Considering war a bad thing is merely romanticizing the way the world works. Humans are not the only species on the planet to wage war; we're just the only species to give it a word and emotional attachment.

ecco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote        
you're quite right, really, Chu. and another thing to say of war is that they can be played on a vastly different scale but still be called a war - nations may wage war but as do local social circles and even individuals.

its such a big subject... im not sure i even want to get into it xD not tonight anyway haha.