Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic Global Warming or the Planet's Natural Cycle ... ???

Global Warming or Natural Cycle???
Global Warming
70%
 70%  [ 12 ]
Natural Cycle
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

laniparis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote        
Hi everyone

I'm just curious to know if you feel what is happening to the planet (weather / environment wise) is being caused by global warming or just the planet's natural cycle...???

I'm probably thinking more along the lines of a natural cycle, I just think if the planet can have an ice age then why not a heat age or something similar...???

So, what do you all think...??? I'd really love to know

I was Goosed
Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote        
I think it could be both. However, it's weird how our Earth would suddenly decide to warm up and flood lands. However, maybe, over time, the Earth would be moving closer to the sun [what the heck?! I know...] Maybe a few hundred thousandths of a millimeter, but still causes our Earth to warm, up, I think that would be considered as a natural cycle. I really don't know though, since there is such good arguments for both sides.
laniparis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote        
Exactly, I agree, but I lean closer to the natural cycle side of things although, I do my best not to pollute or anything

I was Goosed
DrunkenShark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote        
I think it is pretty hard to tell because we do not have enough data: when did people start to worry about pollution and this kind of matter, the 60's? 70's ? The 80's ? A few texts about colder time back in the Middle Age? And how long does it takes for the climate to really change, after all the Ice age last for centuries I think...
Of course we cannot deny the fact we do pollute: in less than 50 years, the world population got from 2,700 milions to 6,700 millions nowadays. No matter if we try to use the less ressources possible or to polute the less we could, it's still 6,700 million time this very little polution. This just screw so much things in our nature it gets scary when you hear about it...

Anyway, whatever causes this, I suggest you guys all move very far from the coast in case of floods Laugh

hey, global warming, will the water be warm? Laugh Stoopid question

Oh, by the way, where I live the medias are not calling it Global Warming anymore (I don,t know if it's the same everywhere however)... my father uses to say it's because people here hates so much winter and cold and snow that knowing the world will get warmer don't scare them at all, he claims they just think: "yeah, great, we won't need to spend our winter holidays in florida!" Happy

Gunnar, RP character from the Tavern:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7963/dessingunnar.jpg

You think you can handle French ? Then come and take a look at my breathtaking action packed webseries at :
http://tricksters-webs.over-blog.com/
laniparis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote        
It's hot here in Australia, but it's always been hot here in Australia, I doubt I can fully blame global warming... lol... yep before global warming it probably snowed in Brisbane, NOT...

It's true though, by the time we end up with enough information to support or deny anything it will inevitably be too late, the pole with the polar bears is melting and we won't be able to support all the different endangered species, which will be growing rapidly... yet, in the ice age we lost species too... Dinosaurs anyone??? I don't know... what we can do but wait... which is kind of depressing.

I kind of think that the planets worst possibility will inevitably be over population... more people equals more demand on supplies until they are depleted and then what??? Will we become cannibals??? It's scary really

I was Goosed
Iregyura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote        
I agree. I suppose that's just Earth's awesomeness. Really...I'm so sad Duh It's almost Christmas (Sorry, so random, I know) I find my self in the hospital visiting more and more Sad
Sillice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote        
I am a full believer that its global warming. Scientist have been studying this and have noted several times that this warming trend in the earth isn't natural.
How can it be proven? Well according to lots of charts, when industrialization began the warming trend was steady, you could predict where it was going to go. After the 1st world war, scientist noted that predicting changes in long term weather was harder, you couldn't track the trend anymore. This continued well past WW2 and that when scientist become worried. Sure there was an ice age and a great flood, but scientist state that their we're clears signs towards those changes. Such as a steady rate of increase in the tides, a steady change in weather (which can be noted in the land and in the tree spirals), etc.
Something else to note is that in the case of the past, you must remember that the Earth was undergoing massive changes. Entire continents we're merging, islands were forming all over the place, volcanoes that are now sleeping were well awake at the time. Then and now can't be full compared since the human factor must now be added. We've done a lot, and there is no denying. Just look at China, the air there was so bad that the Olympic athletes after the games were over united to say that China can never hold the games again in till the air is cleaned. When you added in our effects and the trends and signs that the earth gives, something clearly doesn't match. Eco-scientist state the plants in wild life reserves are acting out of season, aka some trees are losing leaves in the middle of winter and not anywhere their usual time. Animals are changes long standing migration routes and entire population of plants are dieing for no seen reason. Now even in the past, there was never a possibility for that to happen. The Earth didn't evolve so fast that it caused massive changes that noticeable to occur.
Okay, I'm lecturing now! Sorry! But you see where I stand right? Global Warming, not be confused with Mother Nature.
Iregyura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote        
Shocked Why was that post so much cooler than mine?! No JK...But it's true. I just want to believe that Earth is just "acting up" and will cool down again...I do not particularly like hot weather...Just personally.
Transcendence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote        
Well from where I live it is very hard for me to even think about global warming. What the heck is that? haha. I live in Vermont. It was 10 bellow the other night. My goodness...global warming my butt.

Anyways.

The weather hasnt changed here overly much it is still cold, though the old timers say that we used to get more snow. I doubt this has to do with the temperature and more do do with less rain. Is this a result of pollution? I dont know I am not a scientist. Who am I to say?

I think that yes...the earth does have cycles...or maybe it used to, but we have no clue or indication that these have not just stopped. We have no clue. Not everything can be predicted in this world. I wish people would just be happy for what they have and not worry so much about what could happen. Because it probably is not going to happen in our life times. And what will happen will happen. Whether it is 100 years from now or a 1000 or 100,000, we cant really change it.

I am looking for art for my character. I will be willing to pay.

On gaia I am xxtaintedlips - I dont go on there much though.
lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote        
I have a short and sweet response, I believe that the emition of bad gases into the atmosphere causing there to be a small O-zone layer, is speeding up the planet's natural process.
wolfiewheeee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote        
I think it's really a combination of both. The world definately goes through changes like this (unless you decide to deny the existance of the ice ages *rolling my eyes here*) But What we're doing is contributing to it and making it go a bit faster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote        
I have read the first few posts, but not all, so sorry if im repeating something/saying something already proven wrong or something xD

personally i think while there is a natural cycle for the world to warm up (technically speaking i believe we are still coming out of an ice age anyway) HOWEVER i think that global warming, ie man-made warming of the planet, is speeding up the natural cycle at a dangerous rate - so, i think what i mean is that humans are acting as a catalyst?
lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote        
Gaaaah! *dies* >.<

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote        
I believe it's both really o.o

We worthless humans only made the process of warming this place up go faster. evidence has shown that our earth used to have warmer climates than it has now O.o ...

But we humans really Killed our planet o.o

But I also belive, that you can suddenly make cars vanish! so no gass in the air anymore and such. we still will see a rising of the climate temperatures o.o
1 There is still such a great amount of gass and stuff high up in the air, '' eating away on our ozon layer'' o.o
2 the inside of you plantet is a flued, hot, mixture of metals and kwik? don't know the english word... anyway, becuase these layers inside the ..the inside of the inside of our planted is moving, thus creating more heat. Will still leave us with global warming ...
Jazzeroki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote        
Global warming and cooling are of course natural processes. However I would say that humanity is doing a bang up job of speeding up the process. That said I think there are some coastal cities that I won't mind seeing becoming some new beach front property. They might even become some cool scuba diving locals. I might suggest buying up a bit of land in the middle of California it could become pretty valuable very soon.