Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote        
I'd love to agree with you there but my gut tells me that you're giving people way too much credit. The internet makes us lazy too; we're used to the answers being at our fingertips, so we don't have the attention span for extensive research on anything. You used to have to spend days in a library reading on things that may not even lead to an answer to get anywhere at all - now you can just google search it and read a watered down answer in a forum. Through all of that a lot of details and obscure concepts are left out and we're left with, once again, watered down material. That leaves a lot of room for misconception, assumption, and repetitiveness in our theories.

Missa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote        
Good. Point. >_< I didn't even think about that. *facepalm*

I'm so cute and fluffy, you just can't resist clicking me!
other

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote        
i reckon it's just instinctual, genetic programming.
people are animals who don't want to be animals i think.
some think niceness is down to the selfish gene where you would have looked after your own tribe, but seeing as there aren't any tribes anymore and we still feel the urge to help strangers, the genes are out of date or missfiring or something, and isn't that great?
i guess what i'm trying to say is that this is our nature, to survive is no.1 priority, but we can make the best of it, we do have free will, we realise we have a choice, other animals don't usually do that :B
annd i'mma shutup now cuz i'm not sure where i'm going from here..

~Kryztol's Huge Raffle Giveaway!~
Lux-Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote        
other wrote:
i reckon it's just instinctual, genetic programming.
people are animals who don't want to be animals i think.
some think niceness is down to the selfish gene where you would have looked after your own tribe, but seeing as there aren't any tribes anymore and we still feel the urge to help strangers, the genes are out of date or missfiring or something, and isn't that great?
i guess what i'm trying to say is that this is our nature, to survive is no.1 priority, but we can make the best of it, we do have free will, we realise we have a choice, other animals don't usually do that :B
annd i'mma shutup now cuz i'm not sure where i'm going from here..

No that's a good point, It's a unbelevebly complex "Nature Vs nurture" complex!

"It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." Nom Anchor, somewhere in the NJO Books...
Iregyura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote        
OK, my opinion. I think that no, humans aren't evil (usually) but sometimes they can be very, very cruel. Even though we help ourselves live and grow, often we do not think of other species, such as the polar bear. We destroy the Earth by polluting and using too much of our resources. Often, we use a lot of our resources, but we don't recycle or reuse enough to replenish our stock (What a weird way of putting it...) I think we aren't necessarily more important than other species, but it's just because lots of people think that because we have smarter brains and developed faster and have written and spoken language and about 100 more languages than that and that we have the gun, humans think that we are better than all the other creatures on Earth (which is not true).
However, I think that humans aren't evil at all. We actually are helping ourselves, but with sometimes forgetting that we are destroying others. But we also develop and study viruses and create vaccines, sometimes helping animals as well. However, sometimes we develop viruses as well, and create even more problems. But I do agree that humans use too much resources and cut down too many forests. Also, we should walk more, since sooner or later our we will run out of oil.
In the end, humans aren't bad, but we shouldn't destroy lives of other species and be more conservative.