Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2  Next
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote        
How do you feel about cloning? Good, bad?

I myself support it, I think its a great advancement. And I mean born straight clones, not the sci-fi *pop* "OMG theres two of them =O"
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote        
I don't have much of an opinion on cloning anymore. I'm for it I suppose, but any reasoning or valid explanation couldn't be provided because I've forgotten a lot of the information since I last discussed it.

Moon_Whisper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote        
I don't like the idea of cloning. Sad
I mean, just think of all the bad stuff that could happen! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote        
Like what? What bad stuff?

I mean cloning wouldn't have to many repercussions, I mean it could be used for many medical breakthroughs,

and heck, you could raise a child that is biologically yours even if your infertile.

And remember this is not sci-fi cloning. They'll have your DNA, but they will grow and develop different. You can't simulate your mothers womb 100% @.@

nor can you give him the same exercise, thoughts, or old friends you had

it would be like a new child, just born of the same DNA. A biological clone, rather then a superficial clone

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote        
Technically speaking, I am a clone. Identical twins have the same DNA so they are scientifically considered clones. I think the idea of clones isn't all that bad. I mean the chances of a still borne vs a clone growing up to be exactly like the donor is so close its not funny.
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote        
The chances of a clone being born exactly like a donor ISNT close though, I mean even twins have differences, so an artificial clone is even further apart

also, I was saying like a 40 year old guy making a clone of himself,

so the chances of the clone baby growing to be the 40 year old man is mathematically impossible(well 1 in a near infinite chance, seeing as each millisecond a new neuron is firing a signal in your brain)

so a clone being made the same is impossible, I mean a clone in the same DNA sense. Also, even if you made a clone of another baby, they can grow up different. While twins have bonds, I've heard they can be different in personality as well

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote        
But what about the fact that the number of twins is radically increasing?
When I was born the chance was 1 in 10,000, and now its either 1 in a 100 or 1 in 350, I forget which.
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote        
well since we humans are all similar genetically, and we are closed in and picky about who we do "it" with, I can assume that genetic variation goes down, and that means that even defective genes can survive, which is why we humans ignore evolution, since we are sheltered the bad traits like some disorder, continue to live on, rather then dying off and securing "survival of the fittest"

so it is natural to assume that more twins and defective(brain disorders, physical problems, etc) people will be born

humans just aren't natural I say!

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote        
I was actually just thinking that theory the other day, but in a more cruel way. (Kill anyone too 'damaged' to work a normal job. I feel bad about it now.)
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote        
oh I never said it was a good thing, just the natural thing. I mean lions with limps get eaten, mice who aren't smart stay outside and get eaten by hawks

we humans on the other hand are sheltered, so genetically we are stagnant water. Hence why twins being born, and people with birth defects, are born. Since you mentioned the rising number of twins

In any case genetics and personality are different is what I'm saying, hence why I think cloning is fine since its a new person, rather then the same.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote        
See. You understand that concept. My dad doesn't. I think my mom does but doesn't agree with the stem cell part due to her Catholicism and that she wants to stand by her husband.
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote        
who said stem cells? your DNA is in your blood, muscles,hair, etc!

and while original DNA is hard to find due to cell differences, mitochondrial DNA is always the same everywhere

also, I don't see why Catholics have such a problem. I mean what are they afriad of? I mean if a clone was successfully made, it wouldn't be the antichrist

I mean we cloned a sheep, but I doubt the churches are screaming about that(or are they?)

I think they are afraid of cloning. *shrugs*

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote        
They're going against the production of stem cells using the idea of clones. You know, better matches and stuff.
And I think they had a grudge against that sheep.
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote        
Ah, okay. Well, I also don't see the big deal in stem cells either...why not just get them from the umbilical cord AFTER its been severed. sure limited time and what not, but that way no one can complain since its not "hurting the baby" anymore(not that I think some cells from the cord matter in the first place, but may be wrong)

But yeah, I don't see why they care so much about cloning. I mean if they lost an arm or leg, or a loved one at war, you could just use the cells to create a new arm(rather then a whole person) and have a perfectly compatable arm to attach to the body. sure nerve connections may not be completly right, but it beats a mechanical arm in its faithfulness.

Remember, Cloning doesn't have to be large scale.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote        
Actually, a note on that. I have heard that you can now freeze your child's umbilical cord after they're born, so that you can have it in case your child ever gets sick. Stays 'good' for awhile.
Can they really grow an arm? Thought they were still trying to figure that out. And to sew it on?
On a slightly different note - You see that thing where scientist emptied and cleaned out a rat's heart and made it then beat? I think it was pumping water...