Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Just WHAT the heck is wrong with me? Can't I have a say?
IndigoButerfly

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote        
@Catghost: I didn't attack her. It was a question. Notice the question marks. I didn't claim she hates them like that, I just took the stereotypical attitude of most religious people. The hateful part about gays was an exaggeration so it would be easier to get my point across.
And you'd be surprised how Christians can get hateful, despite the fact they believe in Jesus who is teaching them to love. I should know... won't go out of topic though.

Maverik & Me
Maeve's mah mastah Happy
Bound

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 am Reply with quote        
Well~ This post's generated a lot of discussion.

For my part, I agree with Indigo's first post: what you hate in others is what you hate in yourself. What you hate in yourself is what you think others hate about you.

I had a lot of experience of this during high school. For instance, I really hated this one person who was loud, outgoing, confident, could have a conversation with anyone at all on any topic, was popular with many friends... basically, the complete opposite of what I perceived myself to be. And I hated this person for an embarrassingly long time before I realised that, in effect, I was jealous of them.

I was jealous of their ability to express themself in any way they wanted, while I could barely speak up in class when I was called on to answer a question, even if I knew the right answer. Realising this, I was able to stop hating them.

That's not to say I'm now perfect or anything. I still dislike people who are very loud for prolonged periods of time, because it's annoying (and I think many people would agree). I still don't tend to get along with "popular" people at my university, because we tend to have very few interests in common. But I don't have to hate them any more. And I think that learning not to hate them might have helped me like myself more, too.

I also find that I dislike people (and this extends to fictional characters, like in books, anime or TV) who exhibit personality traits similar to those that I consider my "weaknesses" that I should get rid of. It's harder for me to get over my dislike for these, because that would mean fully accepting myself, and I can't do that right now but... I resolved to not let my dislike for these aspects of their characters cloud my perception of their "positive" attributes, things that I find admirable about them.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you see something negative in someone, question why it is that you think that it's negative. And try not to let the negatives obscure the positives that could be just below the surface. :)

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote        
IndigoButerfly wrote:
@Catghost: I didn't attack her. It was a question. Notice the question marks. I didn't claim she hates them like that, I just took the stereotypical attitude of most religious people. The hateful part about gays was an exaggeration so it would be easier to get my point across.
And you'd be surprised how Christians can get hateful, despite the fact they believe in Jesus who is teaching them to love. I should know... won't go out of topic though.

"Lets take the fact that you hate gays.."
No question mark there.

And yes, I should know since I am one.
But maybe.. did you ever stop and look at the other side of the argument? Did you ever take the time to sit and think about what causes them to get so hateful?
I doubt one verse in the bible(which is from the old testament might I add!) would make them become so hateful to the point of violence when literally every other verse(referring to the new testament) says "Love thy neighbor as thyself" or something to that effect.

It takes two opposing forces to create friction after all..

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Afanassii

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote        
Trebble Cleff wrote:

My opinions are never heard.

They're being heard right now and, generally, even if someone doesn't like what you have to say, they still hear you.

Trebble Cleff wrote:
I'm a Catholic and against gay/bi/and lez.
Just because of that, I only have about two friends in real life.

Well, apparently the world is changing. I'm sure that any unpopularity you receive is less about your religion, directly, and more about your opposition to homosexuality. I understand that they kind of go hand-in-hand but it ends up depending upon how aggressive you are with your opposition.

Some Catholics spiritually regard homosexuality as a sin but are accepting of people in their daily lives, while others actively seek to harass and ostracize them.

It might have a lot to do with where you live. Being raised in a small town for a good portion of my life, it was the opposite. I had few friends because of my gender and sexual preference.

Interestingly enough, the #1 definition on Dictionary.com for 'against' is this:
1. in opposition to; contrary to; adverse or hostile to: twenty votes against ten; against reason.

So, I wouldn't necessarily blame someone for assuming that you were 'hostile' especially given the oppression of gays in the past.

Trebble Cleff wrote:
I'm Asian and I like it.
Just because of that, I am ignored by almost all my teachers.

That is unfortunate. Do you think you're ignored because of hate? Or because they expect you to do well academically since it is the Asian stereotype?

Trebble Cleff wrote:
I'm a little small for my age.
Because of that, almost everyone despises me.
I'm underweight.
I get glares.

These are silly superficial traits that shouldn't matter but discrimination always happens - good or bad. For instance: a friend's boyfriend often gets picked on for being short for a guy, but another man we know has a strong preference for short girls and will only date them.

Some people might stare at you because they are concerned given the recent awareness of eating disorders. Others might simply be jealous.

Trebble Cleff wrote:
]I believe hatred is the worst thing in the world, and the seven deadly sins follow that. Also Blasphemy.
Because of that, I'm stared at.

Because of this statement alone I hope that your being "against" gays isn't to an extreme, otherwise hypocrisy would abound.

Blasphemy is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to have more friends then you've got to be open to the others having differing opinions from you. Not everyone believes the same things are "against God's word." The same is true for sin, for instance I don't believe sex outside of marriage is a 'sin'. Then again, I'm not Christian so it is almost a mute point.

If you are looking to find friends that believe the same as you do so you will not have to be open towards the opinions and beliefs of others, then the best place for you to make friends is in your own church.

Trebble Cleff wrote:
I think it's unfair.
How can you judge someone by their characterists like that?

If you think about it, I'm sure you do the same. Its human nature to arrange patterns and make distinctions and preference. I'm sure that you judge others by some aspect of their appearance and/or religious beliefs. Even if you just happen to see a fashionably-dressed young man who wears earrings and you think, "I bet he's gay."

I won't claim to not make judgments based on superficial characteristics, but they're generally knee-jerk reactions at what we see and what we're programmed to believe. It might just be the same with you.

Here's what Afanassii looks like:

Taken; claimed by the great Transcendence.
OMG MY FACE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote        
Just to put in two more cents and jump back a page, discrimination is a form of hate. Just so you know. Thanks.

(Oh and to touch on the Jesus thing, Jesus would neither hate NOR discriminate. If Jesus came back tomorrow, he would not stand out in West Hollywood and yell at homosexuals, call them faggots, and condemn them to hell. He would love them just like he loves everybody else.)

LOL UR FACE wrote:
That was a mouth-full.

Ah, my work here is done.
Graymalkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote        
I would have to agree one hudred percent with OMG MY FACE.
Jesus would definately not do that, [ I am not Christian by the way ]
I do not understand what prompts people to do that anyways.
Oh wait yes I do, it is because the people who so claim to 'praise'
the Lord and give his divine teachings...
They themselves say that homosexuality is wrong,
as well as religions other than their own is wrong.
ALMOST EVERY ONE OF THEM says that other religions is wrong.
God and Jesus would love everyone.

You yourself are hating by being discriminating.
Do you overly state in school and other places,
your feelings on this?
You probably have none of the other friends because perhaps,
they themselves are bisexual or homosexual.
Or they are just more open minded than you.
I cannot speak for all people of religion,
seeing as I know people who are Catholic or Christian,
yet are not OH MY G** If you don't do this you'll burn in hell.
Or whatever, they are open minded towards homosexuality,
other races as well as other beliefs.
As it should be, I do not think any one person should be excluded for...
say style, height [ which I have not heard of ],
body type, body features, language, heritage,
beliefs, their dislikes, or their likes or anything that makes them them.
A person should be just that, a person.
Not everything else that makes them themselves.
You should first see them as a human, no matter their colour, or sexuality.

I am rambling on now so I shall excuse myself.
Although I stand firm in my belief that homosexuality is not wrong.
I myself and a bisexual, so.. whatever.
You can feel the way you feel but do not not be friends with someone because they are.
If you are hurt for being disliked because of what you like, look like, don't like.
Think of what you are doing to others. Jab

Vidd187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote        
Trebble Cleff wrote:

I'm Asian and I like it.
Just because of that, I am ignored by almost all my teachers.
I'm a little small for my age.
Because of that, almost everyone despises me.

I dont know what to tell ya kid. I personaly find small people attractive asians as well. You will find no descrimination from me.
Graymalkin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote        
I agree with Vidd on that point. I love small people, and I do have this.. favouritsm to asian people. Most of my friends are asian actually. Heh. Forgot to put this in my other post, so well.. here it is. Probably will stay un-read. Sweat
Howler Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote        
You're making judgments against gay/bi/and lesbian people based off of a characteristic. Most of them are nicer than most everyone else. r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote        
I think that there's nothing wrong with you. You can't really help your characteristics, anyways. I mean, I have Christian Asian friends that can't even speak Chinese (though they are Chinese). So what? Some people are just like that. Plus, I think that people thinking "weird" is good. NO. I didn't mean like that's good. I meant that it's better than having fake friends, who pretend to like you. Also, NEVER think about having a fake personality, because that gets really annoying over time, and it's just not natural. I think that there's always somewhere where someone's extremely weird (for me, it's anime and manga) so no one's exactly "normal". So don't feel bad. There's probably tons of other people just like you. Maybe you can also make friends with your real friends' friends. I hope that this will help you, and you can always interrupt for your right time of your opinion! Remember, opinions are really important! Keep in mind though (this is kind of random in order; sorry) even if some people are gay or something, that doesn't make them a bad person. But I guess people have their own beliefs, after all.
Plus, if people don't like short Asians, they won't like me either Duh
Edit:
One last thing: Remember that you can judge people, but they can judge you as well!
Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote        
The ugly truth is that people don't judge people based on those characteristics you describe.
You can't despise someone because they're short, or not want to hang out with them because you're asian or catholic.

Maybe you have a negative or un-inviting body-language or way of formulating yourself?

Although I disagree with your 'hatred' of gay/bi/les people, I don't mind people being against it as long as they don't bitch about it all the time.

You can disagree with someone without hating them.

If a lot of people don't like you, maybe you should try to objectively evaluate your behavior and see if there's anything you could work on improving.
When a person assumes that others around them doesn't like them, their body-language and tone of voice changes, often without the person itself noticing.

Nobody wants to hang out with a grouch who hates stuff, people want to be with people who make them happy and accepts them.

In other words, and in the best hippie-fashion: Are you sure you're giving out positive vibes? Negative vibes are a drag, and makes people pull away from you. Work actively on trying to spread out more positive than negative vibes, and you might see yourself feeling better about yourself as well as other people.

Edit: Also, if there are a lot of things you don't like about people, and you act on that in a way that shows it clearly, people might come to see you as hypocritical and closed-minded, and therefore not feel like they can be comfortable or themselves around you.
Rice_Bunni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote        
I just wanna say: HARSH!!
dont let it get you down! idk what im suppose to say but i once read this book and a character committed suicide because her problems kept building up. Dont let it build up! let it go. i have like 3 friends and that's all i really need.

why be the same as everyone if you can be different? and i'm also asian and my school has a very small amount of asians, but it doesn't bother me...much. Neutral

<3

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
Nova wrote:
The ugly truth is that people don't judge people based on those characteristics you describe.
You can't despise someone because they're short, or not want to hang out with them because you're asian or catholic.

Maybe you have a negative or un-inviting body-language or way of formulating yourself?

Although I disagree with your 'hatred' of gay/bi/les people, I don't mind people being against it as long as they don't bitch about it all the time.

You can disagree with someone without hating them.

If a lot of people don't like you, maybe you should try to objectively evaluate your behavior and see if there's anything you could work on improving.
When a person assumes that others around them doesn't like them, their body-language and tone of voice changes, often without the person itself noticing.

Nobody wants to hang out with a grouch who hates stuff, people want to be with people who make them happy and accepts them.

In other words, and in the best hippie-fashion: Are you sure you're giving out positive vibes? Negative vibes are a drag, and makes people pull away from you. Work actively on trying to spread out more positive than negative vibes, and you might see yourself feeling better about yourself as well as other people.

Edit: Also, if there are a lot of things you don't like about people, and you act on that in a way that shows it clearly, people might come to see you as hypocritical and closed-minded, and therefore not feel like they can be comfortable or themselves around you.

I quite like you, Nova. You hit the nail on the head. What's sad is that most people think in that way - that everyone hates them for no reason, or illegitimate reasons, when they're the ones at fault. It's like the "Everyone hates me 'cause I'm pretty." thing. Highly unlikely. They probably hate you because you're snobby or conceited.

This... sounds like teenage angst, honestly. ^^; There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not really much to look into.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote        
I don't agree with judging people by how they look, that being said your opinion and beliefs are going to get you judged, and sometimes harshly.

By the logic you are trying to present here I should not judge someone for molesting a child because it's a character flaw of theirs. Or I shouldn't judge someone for trying to force their religion onto me, and for saying that some of my friends sexual preferences aren't right because of the word of a supposed god.

I'm sorry, I'm Athiest and my Mother-in-Law is a lesbian. I'm bi-sexual, though I don't reveal that often as I am in a happy marriage with my husband and have a beautiful son. I don't act on it.

So, how would you judge me based on that? You wouldn't like thinks about me because I don't believe what you do.

Again, that being said you should not be judged on physical characteristics, and pride in your heritage. That is not right.
[~SHWING~]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote        
Isn't being against other people choice of sexuality judgement(?), if I'm wrong my apologies.

But that aside, nothing about you seems unlike-able, you have conviction in your faith and are proud of who you are it sounds like . Those are good qualities, and as for hight tall people lose more brain cells Wink they hit their heads more often.

Its human nature to judge though it is the basic animal instinct that has enabled our survival, that and agruculture, so judging people is a way to gadge interactions maybe your don't come off as who you are.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2