Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
anime_emo_girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote        
I've read the Wicked Lovely series, and im reading Artemis Fowl, but I Bouncy Heart Faerie books, and I can't find much in the Fae genre, so is there any sugguestions?
Eudaemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote        
I guess The Blue Girl could qualify.
There more creatures than faeries in it.
But it is a really good read, I suggest you should read it.

Fallain

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote        
I absolutely recommend Tithe by Holly Black. It's been one of my favorite books for almost ever and i've re-read it dozens of times. It's conveniently about faeries.

Another good one i've recently found is Changeling by Delia Sherman. It's got faeries, pookas, Japanese demons, dragons, everything. But mostly faeries.
sychobunny

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote        
HOMG TITHE!
I also suggest reading Finder by Emma Bull- its a border-town story. I know a few others, but some of them are a younger sort of faerie tale, and others weren't THAT amazing.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 pm Reply with quote        
Yay another Tithe fan! Since you obviously liked that i'll have to look into your Finder book too, is it similar?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote        
Repeating the recommendation for Tithe. Also, the Meredith Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton is good *IF* you don't mind adult content. It's a very interesting series, but it also needs to have a huge, blinking warning sign that says 'SEXUAL CONTENT AHOY" above it in bright red letters.

♥Follow Usako to my Unicreatures

♥Follow Pikachu to my Pokemon
sychobunny

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote        
Fall: Uhm no, not really. kind of. :S
It is an urban setting. But its kind of more like a detective adventure. But not so cheesy like those tend to be. It is really good though!
... I think for Tithe fans I'd more recommend stuff by Vivian Vande Velde, though her works are usually shorter, and I can't think of any that are fairy based.

Usakoneko: ... This intrigues me. And I feel slightly dirty wanting to read your fairy smut. Bouncy Heart

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote        
I'd recommend 'Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer' by Laini Taylor. It's very well done, and I believe there's a sequel on the way - something to look forward to if you enjoy it. c:
Usakoneko

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote        
sychobunny wrote:
Usakoneko: ... This intrigues me. And I feel slightly dirty wanting to read your fairy smut. Bouncy Heart

XDD I got hooked on the author through her better known Anita Blake series, which started out rather tame in that sense. But I loved her writing so much that I jumped on her faerie series when I found it. If you want, the name of the first book in the series is "A Kiss Of Shadows".

♥Follow Usako to my Unicreatures

♥Follow Pikachu to my Pokemon
Bound

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote        
Another person recommending Tithe, here~ I first read it when I was 13 and some stuff went over my head (I was a really innocent 13-year-old XD) but I've re-read it at least 3 times since then and enjoyed it just as much each time. I flailed all over the book store and sent texts to my friends in excitement when I found the sequel last summer. XD

Not exactly about faeries, but I'd recommend City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass, a trilogy by Cassandra Clare. I'm not very good at spoiler-free summarising, so here's what Amazon has to say:

Quote:

Sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is an ordinary teenager, who likes hanging out in Brooklyn with her friends. But everything changes the night she witnesses a murder, committed by a group of teens armed with medieval weaponry. The murderous group are Shadowhunters, secret warriors dedicated to driving demons out of this dimension and back into their own. Drawn inexorably into a terrifying world, Clary slowly begins to learn the truth about her family - and the battle for the fate of the world.

I've only read the first two books, but I enjoyed them quite a lot too. Her sense of humour in her writing appeals to me, and they're pretty action-packed - I found them hard to put down because there was always something happening that I wanted to see conclude.
Cougati

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote        
Another vote for Tithe.

Also, try War for the Oaks by Emma Bull and The Shadow Gate by Margaret Ball.

They're sort of old, but still WAY AWESOME.

The Firebird by Mercedes Lackey. One of my favorite books ever.

The Folk Keeper (sorry no author, my copy of it was stolen *sob*)

Spiderwick (no author again)

The Riddle of the Wren by Charles De Lint

Those are all the ones I have, other than Artemis Fowl.

Berlin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote        
I would say to go with what Cougati is saying. If you want believable and beautifully written faerie books, she is your girl. She has a good taste in that genre.

Tithe is a great book. But I like the Folk Keeper even more. I borrowed it from her once and gosh it was a good read.
Cougati

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote        
I love how your so confident in my skills! But then again, I am a book addict, so I have lots of experience.

The Folk Keeper is good because it's so different. And it's about a creature that doesn't get a lot of love, so yay.

Bound

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote        
The Spiderwick Chronicles are by Holly Black (same author who wrote Tithe) and Tony DiTerlizzi.

I wasn't sure whether to recommend them or not. I really enjoyed them, but each book is quite short... Still, I guess that just leaves you wanting more and ready to read the next one? XD

I've never heard of The Folk Keeper, but if it comes so highly recommended I think I'll have to try finding it.

Cougati

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote        
Do!

And when you find it, let me know. I still need another copy. XD

I guess it's not bad that it was lost/stolen/disintegrated because I'd read it so many times it was falling apart at the seams.

I can practically quote the whole book by heart.