Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Mystic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote        
Not everyone who calls themselves an artist takes art classes but many of them do. I was curious how many of you self-identified artists out there have taken art classes and/or workshops. If you have, have these classes benefited you and how? Which classes/workshops helped you or inspired you the most? Were there some that seemed to be dead-ends? Do you think formal training in art through classes and workshops is necessary to be a good artist? Regardless of whether or not you think so or not, would you recommend that aspiring artists take some classes and workshops?
linkfreak131

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote        
I am indifferent about art classes. I've only taken art classes in school, but I once took a session out side of school, because I was getting bored with it; to me, the lessons they taught in school were just too easy and boring for me. Turns out, though, the class that I was taking outside of school... I knew even more than my teacher did. V_VU

After that, I've just bought different books about art, and have taught myself. I've been doing that for the past, oh five years or so now... Yes, I have enjoyed teaching myself, but, you really do benefit a lot more if you have some sort of teacher or mentor helping along side you. But, good teachers are hard to find nowadays, so if you do end up finding a good one, I would most definitely sick by him/her for a long time. Because, honestly, when you make a mistake in your drawing, chances are, you don't know it; you need someone there to point it out for you. =3

Next year, I will, hopefully, be going to Otis art college (just have to settle down all the financial stuff first). I've heard many great things about their teachers there, so I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully, I won't be disappointed. xD

My Deviant Art: http://linkfreak131.deviantart.com/
heyy13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 am Reply with quote        
I've never taken an art class, ever. Even at school. I am however planning to do art at uni next year, so i hope that turns out well. *crosses fingers*

Self learning is good to a point, but it's so easy to stop seeing the faults in your own work when you look at it and feedback can really help. : )

By Kaishi who is just the love. Seriously. <3
gothicMana9
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote        
i didn't take any art classes too...but i beleive these artcleasses r a good idea to nurture one's skills...specially at coloring ^.^

heyy13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote        
gothicMana9 wrote:
i didn't take any art classes too...but i beleive these artcleasses r a good idea to nurture one's skills...specially at coloring ^.^

I disagree. Colouring can be very comprehensivly self taught by useing referances, lamps and just watching around you.

It's things like complex perspective, anatomy and musculature that you really need help with and are virtually impossible to learn corectly alone. Both are things which self taught artists suffer greatly in (i know i do) and it's hard to corect yourself in those areas because as you work on a piece you become immune to it's flaws, and as you work you use your own knowledge, but it's never comprehensive and perfect. That is where another party coming in to help corect you can be invaluable. By point out your mistakes you can corect them and learn in the future.

By Kaishi who is just the love. Seriously. <3
Iiely

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote        
I take art classes only in school due to graduation requirements, and it's safe to say I hate them. The classes are boring and the teachers give work that one would expect to see in a first grade arts and crafts class. I was brought once to a life drawing class by a friend, and drawing a real human figure was much more rewarding than gluing together paper mache.

I buy art books not to learn, but mostly because I like certain pieces that the artist drew inside. xD; In any case, I only have two, both from China and both which I can barely read.

In any case, despite being a "self-taught" artist, I recommend getting a good teacher outside of a school setting and getting one-on-one or a small group class going. Or look for a student currently in an art college who would be willing to tutor for some extra money.

いつもみんな そばに居るから
gothicMana9
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote        
uwaaa..but getting those classes can help too..i mean there r some simple strategies that u might not have thought of..then when some1 mentions it 2 u u justt kinda get a new idea...i donno about u guys..but i think it would really help i i went 2 1 of those classes..

*nods*

Ah-Dee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote        
I am studying at an art University, so I guess that counts ?
The class that has helped me more has been human anatomy, I used to draw more surrealism, so now i'm trying realism, and mixing them both.
I love drawing models.

Visit my baby. ;]
la-ela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote        
I had artclasses in highschool. I do think they benefit people. You have to be open to them though. I really liked drawing living models (hated the classes where we had to draw vases and stuff)

you learn the basics at classes like that. And it is nice to have someone who has some experience (the teacher Smile) to share their knowlege with you. Smile

that is my opinion.
greets La-ela
gothicMana9
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote        
la-ela wrote:
I had artclasses in highschool. I do think they benefit people. You have to be open to them though. I really liked drawing living models (hated the classes where we had to draw vases and stuff)

you learn the basics at classes like that. And it is nice to have someone who has some experience (the teacher Smile) to share their knowlege with you. Smile

that is my opinion.
greets La-ela

yes deinitly..

me too...i hate it most when the teacher makes us draw old houses or just a tree......>.<!!

gothicMana9
Artist
Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote        
la-ela wrote:

that is my opinion.
greets La-ela

yes deinitly..

me too...i hate it most when the teacher makes us draw old houses or just a tree......>.<!!

Fuzzey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote        
I never took art lessons,but once in school we had a Manga session where we drew manga for a couple weeks,and we got all these papers with manga eyes and expressions,and it really helped me and I still use them :D

Lilykin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote        
Oh geez... art classes.
I payed nearly zip attention to art classes in high school, being that my art teachers didn't really believe in "stifling our creativity* or something and let us basically do what we want. Sweat

As a self taught artist I believe art classes/workshops rely heavily on whether or not A) the teacher is willing to push they're students and B) the student is willing to learn. Otherwise it's just a waste of time.

It's technically not necessary to have a formal education in art. But I'd recommend it as it can only enhance the knowledge you have as well as correct any bad habits from becoming to ingrained.

As for teachers, art teachers are the fresh pair of eyes to show you where you've gone wrong. They're the experience when in doubt and the ones that push us to try something new. Or they should be. XD

So I'm basically restating what's already been said. XP
Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote        
I think classes are needed to really show how to draw a good human figure. It is the hardest one to draw. what i mean is this. You can draw cartoon figures well without classes. It takes a skill to make them look real. That takes art classes or instructions.
applejuice81

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote        
I started taking art classes in high school with 2 years in outside class and continued til I graduated from college. Since my major was 3D animation and graphic design I took alot of art classes. I don't think I'm self taught just have to the talent to draw. Which I found out in 6th grade, at least the earliest i remember. Well anywho, I found that college drawing classes helped me to develop my talent better.

I don't believe that you need formal training/schooling to be a good artist but I believe it can't hurt to go to an art class or a workshop to help improve and maybe bring some other aspect of art into a person work. And I would suggest that new/aspiring artists take a class or go to a workshop, it may open some eyes to new things and even help them look at their work with new eyes.