Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote        
well it seems to me that teachers no longer have control over the brats that attend their schools.. children are to overlooked and are free to do what they want(which includs taking drugs, drinking, sex and pregnancy) at a very young age because the parents don't give a crap, i think they should bring back the cane in schools(hitting them across the knuckles or bum like what they did in the olden days) and the parents should be fined. what does everyone else think!?

click the egg
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote        
So parents should be fined for physical abuse that children undergo in public schools, where they're supposed to be in a safe environment?

I do agree that more rules need to be enforced and stricter punishments should be made, but physical punishment is simply not the way to go in schools, especially with objects. Schools are afraid to discipline children because of the social and psychological repercussions that such a thing could cause, but what they don't realize is that sending a kid away with merely a figurative slap on the wrist for things such as harassment simply doesn't work either.

Firstly, schools located here in the United States need to tighten their belts and their "filters" so to speak. Passing a kid because you don't want to deal with him/her again is frequent in a lot of middle schools, and I'm not too sure about high schools because I'm merely a second-year student, but I had certainly seen it and heard of it, from teachers no less, in my middle school. Once the system straightens up, schools need to get rid of the whole "You need to go to college. You need to go to college." crap and show students that there really is more out there than college; put simply, not everyone is made for it. Once scholastics and such are improved the behavior of children should lighten up because there's less pressure for them to peruse academics for longer than necessary, and the undesirables are left behind, learn their lessons, and straighten up if they want to make slightly more than minimum wage in the future.

Vixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote        
what i ment by the parents being fined is because there are soooo many parents who don't care if there kids go to school at all and instead of the school waiting for a certain amount of time being being able to prosicute/fine them they should be able to do it if there child/children misses a week or more of school(without a valid reason).

click the egg
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote        
A lot of students merely skip, and there's already something that requires parents to send their children to school. (I'm not well versed in subjects involving law.)

My mom couldn't care less about whether I go to school or whether I make good grades, and while I'm absent often, I stay at/near the top of my class.

TheRipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote        
i think they should bring back all the canning and stuff in schools because kids these days have zero respect and thats why there all dumb as posts because they dont turn up and there parents dont care, its stupid! but hey if you wanna grow up to be a thicko then be my guest!
Snowkoyuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote        
I sort of agree. My parents are strict and sort of mean. I am not allowed to do almost anything. My dad makes me study a lot and everything though once in a while I sneak onto the computer and play some computer games. Many parents don't care about their kids probably because their parents never cared about them. Let them be like that and as long as they don't disturb other kids I think that it is fine with me.
Aaya-Tan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote        
Personally, I'd beat my child if they ever skipped class. But that's only because that was how I was raised. As silly as it sounds, I'm half and half for and against corporal punishment.

And no, I don't believe parents should be fined because they have bad kids. If they don't care about their kids, then have the truancy officer write them up and take their kids away. They can't take care of their kids properly, they don't need kids to begin with.

Kids are going to do whatever the hell they want, no matter what anyon does about it. Regardless if it's more or less strict in schools, there will always be rebellion of way shape and form. But I do agree.

Teachers pass kids to get them out of their hair. After a certain amount of years, if a student has not passed at a certain age, he's passed automatically into the next grade level. There are kids that are 23 years old still attending highschool here where I live. It's pathetic to see it.

I'm a mediocre student. I didn't study a lot in middle and highschool, and I struggled a lot during my math courses, but I passed everything else with a B average.

I've long since been out of highschool, about three years now, actually, four years this May, and I will tell you. I wanted to pursue college due to the fact that, as it's been stated, it does offer better job opportunities. It looks far better on a resume than 'highschool diploma', in all honesty. It's what gets you the better paying jobs and the ones that help you climb the corporate ladder instead of flipping burgers and asking 'may I take your order' for the rest of your miserable, horrible paying, tip living life.

My mother was a teacher, my uncle was a teacher, my grandmother a bible thumper, and my grandfather a retired marine. I lived in a pretty strict household, I never got beat at school, merely for the fact that I knew if I did something wrong, I would get beaten at home. To the point it was, in fact, child abuse. I would go to school with bruises, but, sadly, no one gave any notice.

That is what the problem is. No one notices. Teachers are so busy just trying to bite the bullet through yet another day in their pathetic existance with horrendous hours and pay, they don't take the time to go out of their way for the students that are struggling the hardest.

I agree that college isn't for everyone, it's a life-time investment that can either help, or haunt you for the rest of your life, but that doesn't mean that dropping out of highschool or anything is acceptable. I personally think that drop-outs are merely the kids who are just too lazy and too self-absorbed to continue their education.

I know that most can continue to get their degree online now, but, what, after thirty years, do you think you can honestly remember the formula for finding the square root of x times pie times whatever the else? I say, go as far as you can, and stop before you get too deep.

And parents, stop spoiling your child with happy meals and toys and sparing the rod. Smack your kid once in a while. Believe it or not, kids are highly tolerant of pain until you, the parent, fuss over them and make a big deal about it. I tested the theory out myself. I watched my cousin bang his head on the side of the wall as a child.

He didn't start crying until my grandmother came over and started fussing and coddling him. Now he can't tolerate any kind of pain. Myself, I guess I'm just tougher than most of my generation. As I don't do stupid things that would endanger myself like some. I look around where I live and I see kids that are half my age pregnant, or having sex, or smoking, or drinking.

And all I can think is 'where are their parents? Where is their role model?'

And then Brittany Spears pops up on my radio, "Oh, there she is."

I blame the media for the current state of affairs. And parents. And drugs.. And younger parents (fifteen year olds having children and trying to raise them but making their parents do it instead so they end up spoiled little meatsacks of pain in my ass).

Detarra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote        
I am all for school punishment. I use to live in Tennessee and they still do Paddling there. I got paddled 3 times (which is a total of 9 hits) and let me tell you, you do whatever you can to avoid the paddle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote        
Detarra wrote:
I am all for school punishment. I use to live in Tennessee and they still do Paddling there. I got paddled 3 times (which is a total of 9 hits) and let me tell you, you do whatever you can to avoid the paddle.

Who the hell did you get paddled by? Old men? xD I got licks once, and it was.. Pathetic. I laughed at my teacher afterward. He never gave me licks again after that.

I am for and against corporal punishment. Not because of child abuse or whatever, but because of all the bogus lawsuits parents come up with about 'HE HIT MY SON AND HE LEFT BRUISES'.

"No, those bruises are from Billy getting into a fight with the entire football team because he was trying to sell them crack and he was selling it too high. Get your head out of your freakin' butt and stop acting like a four year old."

I live in TN, currently, and yeah, they still do it.

But all the good paddlin' teachers left. It's a joke, honestly.

Want a piece of your own? Hit me up!
I've claimed LOL UR FACE. <3
.:Wishing on a Star:.
I have claimed Fuu Sho. He is my Sexy Leader Lover. No touchy.
Aay is : Still semi-hiatus'd due to life sucking so hard.
I don't pvp, so don't bother challenging.
Ivvy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote        
I know that this is off topic...but is there actually some one else on here now.? If so may we chat so I can learn my way around here?
Andom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote        
    Man, my school is so strict on this crap.

If you're not sitting in your seat when the bell rings, detention.

If you're caught in the hall, bathroom, or anywhere else without your planner, detention and even in school suspension.

Those are MINOR infractions. -_-

Just imagine what they do to kids who get caught doing drugs and smoking and etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote        
Aaya-Tan wrote:
Detarra wrote:

Who the hell did you get paddled by? Old men? xD I got licks once, and it was.. Pathetic. I laughed at my teacher afterward. He never gave me licks again after that.

I am for and against corporal punishment. Not because of child abuse or whatever, but because of all the bogus lawsuits parents come up with about 'HE HIT MY SON AND HE LEFT BRUISES'.

"No, those bruises are from Billy getting into a fight with the entire football team because he was trying to sell them crack and he was selling it too high. Get your head out of your freakin' butt and stop acting like a four year old."

I live in TN, currently, and yeah, they still do it.

But all the good paddlin' teachers left. It's a joke, honestly.

No, one was an ROTC teacher, one was a woman (she was freakishly strong) and...I forgot who the last one was...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote        
I think this is a very difficult subject to discuss, because, if you think about it, it depends what type of school you're talking about.

Say, for instance, a private girls school. A stinkbomb is considered horrific there, so there really is no need to get any harsher with punishment.

But then again, a public school could be extremely prone to drugs, smoking and child pregnancies.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote        
I have to admit, I disagree. That would take even more rights away from school children. And frankly, we don't have any true rights to begin with.

Recently, a girl screamed out to a boyfriend that was breaking up with her: "Fine you %#**(@, I'll go slit my wrists! Will you be happy, then?" No one coulr truely identify her, so there was a lineup of a few girls, including my friends and I.
And what was this lineup for?
The deans told us to take off our jackets to check our wrists for any cut marks. Needless to say, when they came to me, I had to explain. This meant all the other girls in the lineup heard something very personal to me, and I didn't appreciate that.

We don't even have the rights to keep our jackets on, why would we want to be abused by higher powers and whatnot?

for the few rights we have in the public school system, we should keep.

And besides, some parents don't give a @#(% about their children and what they do, which would backfire.
And this would encourage more students to drop out, creating greater crime rates.
(sorry to any high school dropouts, it is a statistic fact)
Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote        
I think that yes, something should be done to make sure more punishment is taken at schools. people are no longer afraid of what happens to them. They get suspended for a couple days or get to sit out of class in a special secluded room. People are starting to act up just to get away from others. There is an underlying cause here. I think that something more threatening needs to be done to get the point across. Something that would really take away what the student liked in order to punish them. maybe in an individual basis. However I think punishment of highschoolers is uncalled for.