Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote        
There’s a huge controversy with spanking and I’d like to get everyone’s views on it.

Do you think parents should spank their children?
Would/do you spank your children?
Do you believe that spanking causes repercussions such as character or social development?
Were you spanked as a child?
Where exactly is the line between spanking and outright abuse? (If you believe there is one.)
Anything else relating to this topic.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote        
I personally believe that spanking one’s children is perfectly fine. I was spanked ONE TIME as a child and it was a mere pat on the butt for screaming in Kroger. I remember it clearly too because it scared me. I can honestly say too that I NEVER screamed again. Period. I didn’t even cry loudly after that. It’s effective, especially for an over-reacting child that isn’t likely to listen to or use words. I would certainly spank my children too if they acted up.

The line, I believe, is in how hard you spank the child and how often you do it. If a parent smacks their kid over and over until their hand stings then it’s too much. Likewise, if they smack their child for fighting with another kid over a toy or for mouthing off, then that’s not right either. To me, spanking is a way of getting their attention. You slap their butt hard enough to scare them into shutting up and listening, but lightly enough to not make it hurt. Then you inform them of what their doing wrong and that they’ll be punished if they continue. Of course, the child and how they act also depends on how you handle them. Not all children need that type of discipline.

7luvlysins22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote        
Quote:
- No I do not, hitting doe not work and after a while the child get used to it and will just take the beating and ignore the punishments. It better to talk to the child and makes them understand what and why there behavior is no the correct way. Also never tell you child there bad, it never helps.

Quote:
Do you believe that spanking causes repercussions such as character or social development?
- Yes I do in some since it give the child the idea that hitting it okay when they are anger or if someone does something to wrong them they can hit the other person as punishment. For some it means when they have angered someone they think that the other person should hit them as punishment. Note this happen is some people not all.

Quote:
Yes and no. I was spanked once as a child but it was for extreme measure since I was biting my brother and making him bleed and my family had done everything that they could to make me stop.

Quote:
Where exactly is the line between spanking and outright abuse? (If you believe there is one.)
There is none its only an illusion people make to make them think that there spanking there children is ok.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote        
I see where you're coming from. It is true that some children will just take the spanking and not think about what they had done wrong. In fact, my little brother and sister were spanked but eventually it stopped working on them and my mom had to resort to other things. She still doesn't know how to punish them because I was such a well-behaved kid, actually.

I disagree with you on your second point. I'll be using my siblings as an example again. They were spanked for a while but they never did believe that they had the right to hit other people. In fact, my brother was/is bullied and he never sticks up for himself. And yes, I do understand that that doesn't happen with everyone. I just haven't seen an example of where it has.

I also want to bring something else to mind: Whenever I think of spanking, I think of the mother. Whenever I think of child abuse, I think of the mother. Where exactly does the father play a role into this? In the situations that I've seen, the father usually yells or doesn't do anything.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 pm Reply with quote        
I agree with luvly, especially with the hitting people. I was spanked once as a kid, but that didn't stop me. I didn't really care, I just wanted my parents to left go of me. I didn't learn anything from it, and I don't think children would learn well from it either.
They might grow up thinking that it is OK to hit or spank people. They might hit someone just because they said something the other person didn't like. Obviously it's not right, but if they were raised that way, they can't really change it.

I think to deal with a kid, they should get a time-out, if they leave and bother anyone, tell all of them to ignore him. He will not get the attention he wants, and will stop.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote        
Time-outs never worked with me. I didn't have a form of discipline in my life until I got older, and was stubborn and rebellious against it. My brother and sister never did well with that, either.

I think it all depends on the child. :/

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote        
probably :/

really, i got the whole time-out thing from super nanny xD
i don't really remeber how my parents disiplended me or my brother...

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote        
Ah, I see. xP Personally, I believe it really depends on not only the child but also the parent. If the parent has anger issues or is likely to get carried away then they have no business spanking a child. I remember that my little sister liked to put things in her mouth, so whenever she tried, we'd slap her hand away from her mouth. It didn't even make a sound but it stopped her.

Sometimes children just don't understand words.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote        
OR if a parent is young, has lots of kids, and has no idea what there doing, the children are more likely to misbehave :/

And those parents don't really discipline well...

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote        
THAT ONE is true. Even if the parents aren't young, and are just immature adults that don't know how to raise kids.

Eh. It worked well with myself and my brother. The only one we're having trouble with is my sister, and that's because she watches my brother as he enters puberty and she does what he does. ;D You know how people get then.

¤Mocha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote        
I think parents should spank their kids only if it's necessary and not often. I mean that's what the whole "YOUR GROUNDED!" thing is for.

Personally, I wouldn't spank my children but if they acted up i'd probably slap them. I don't think it would matter either way, cause I can't slap anyone nearly hard enough to the point that it would hurt. All I can do is smack/ flick people on the head. ^^

I don't believe that spanking causes different social development but child abuse definately does. It changed the children's views on everything and sooner or later, they have their "Goth/Emo" stage and end up getting themselves hurt.

I don't remember being spanked, but I do remember getting hurt. I've gotten slapped, beaten, thrown, had my hair pulled, almost every single vile act you can think of, I've experienced. When I say my parents are paranoid and crazy, I mean it.

My mom has seen he getting beaten and she won't' do anything... I can't call child abuse either because no matter how horribble my parents are, I can't and won't eat other people food. I'm like addicted to my mom's food.

I think spanking once or twice is allright, but repeat occurences i think is crossing the border. People can be punished in other ways that physical, and I think most parents have to realize that.

*Sighz* I think my rant is over... but that's what I think about all this. ^^

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:29 am Reply with quote        
I see... sorry if this hit a soft spot, Mocha.

Psh. My mom doesn't even know the meaning of "You're grounded." I've been grounded once or twice and it wasn't even really a punishment.

I don't look like it but I can hurt someone. >.>; I know weak spots. As far as children go though I wouldn't try that! O: The butt.

Hm... I honestly don't believe that. I was depressed as a kid (Really, I was. I didn't go through a lot of emotional stuff in my early teens because it was already out of my system by then. :/) and that was for various reasons concerning my family. No one spanked me, it was just an emotional thing. I know a lot of people that were spanked as kids and act completely normally.

If your mom doesn't do anything then she's probably afraid too. And if you call child abuse then she'll still be with you. Your safety is the most important thing.

LadyKai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote        

no i dont i think its wrong

no i wouldnt

yes it does

yes i was

there is a line i think spanking is just wrong
Anything else relating to this topic no

i had a very longggg reply but i submited and it error'd so this will be quick

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote        
Well if you get the chance, re-write it so I can have an elaboration. ^^

Brownies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote        
I don't think that spanking a child would teach them anything.. it's only pain and sufferring for them. D;

I wouldn't want to spank my children if I have any.. >.>

I've been spanked before... when I was crying and like, my parents were so mad... ;~;