Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote        
I really need advice. I made a post on Tumblr (hush) so I'll just copy-pasta it.

Quote:
Someone tell me if I should participate in the honors program.

My hesitation has nothing to do with my confidence. I'd kick ass. The reason that I'm hesitant is because the classes are very limited, and they're offered at really awkward times every semester. I'd basically have to work my schedule around those classes, and I haven't been able to convince myself that it's worth it.

I'm already a member of the honors society. My major is psychology and I plan on going to graduate school for counseling. I may do marriage/family counseling.

I'm poor. I can't pay for school without grants or scholarships. That's why I'm still considering it, despite my reluctance. I'm sure it would help.

So... give me advice please. I've jumped back and forth so much that I'm just sick of thinking about it. If you have any knowledge of the honors program or experience with it, what do you think I should do?

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote        
Just a few technical questions first. Are you currently in high school or college? If you are in college, are you still under 25 years old? Do you have any idea what career path you want to follow? Have you considered joining any of the military services? Is your family in any organizations such as Eagle, Masons, Elks, or Moose lodges? They often times have grants for member's children.

Some more personal questions. How tight knit is your family? After college, how far away from family are you willing to travel for a job? Do you have a serious 'significant other'? If so, will they be willing to see you only rarely while you are taking classes or travel with you if you need to move for a career?
Saygen40

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote        
Chu, you're already accepted into a college, right?

I never took honors classes in college, but I had a friend who attempted honors chemistry. She was great at the subject, but had a very difficult time in the honors classes. The time commitment was incredible in-light of getting used to the 'college experience'. I believe she switched back to normal chemistry, but I'm not certain.

Personally, I never heard much of honors kids in general. Never heard of their accomplishments, whether they were better at getting into graduate schools or not, or whether the classes were worth it over normal paced classes. I am currently applying to nursing schools, and all I need is high grades in the classes I did take as well as experience - in some form - in the field; either paid or volunteer. No nursing schools I have looked at have mentioned anything about honors classes giving extra points to my application. Just want the high grades.

This is my experience however, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Psychology graduate schools might give additional considerations to those who took honors classes, so I'd suggest taking a look at prerequisites to see what the schools use to calculate your graduate application. Most schools have different prerequisites.

College professors/counselors are usually very supportive in helping you figure things out as well. I suggest emailing those people more specific to psychology - either a psych adviser or teacher - to get their opinion on whether it's worth it in order to pursue graduate school.

If all else fails, you can start with a graduate class, see how it goes, then decide whether to continue for the next quarter. Hope this helps! Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote        
I'm in the honors program at my school, and I can honestly say I've experienced college in a very different light compared to other students, but if you aren't a first year student, it probably won't affect you as much (living situations is a huge difference at my school). I don't know about your school Chu, but at mine if you enter into honors a year late the requirements to graduate with honors are much smaller. I know I'm struggling to find classes that can filled requirements for me that are also honors, which is one negative side. However, the honors classes that I'm in have been amazing. The teachers are very dedicated and excited to teach Honors students, and make intro level classes much more interesting. I never had to worry about getting an extremely unmotivated student as a lab partner in my HON Bio 201 class, and my psych 105 professor actually knew everyone in the classroom. How many classes would you need to graduate with honors? You can always split them up over the years to make it less awkward.
Obviously there are more scholarships for Honors students, and I think Honors would definitely help in that light. I know I got a scholarship from honors without needing to apply, and I plan on applying for more next year.
I've gotten more opportunities to meet important faculty, and I have more opportunities for research under the Honors program. We're actually required to do an undergrad research project with a professor in our field, which I am so excited for.
Perhaps if you're not sure about university honors you could look into departmental honors? I'm not sure if other schools have a program like that (since I never really looked into any other school that mine), but that might be a nice solution. There's less work involved and you may still be allowed to go for scholarships.

All in all I think it's definitely worth applying since there are no real downsides besides awkward class times and a good deal of positives, but then again I'm a little biased ^^"

::Shop::