Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Entrance
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote        
Greetings, reader of this post!

I'm new here, obviously, and still poking around figuring things out. I'd be glad to hear them if anyone has any tips!

Now then, a bit about me, so you know if I'm worth talking to...I'm an artist and a bibliophile, I enjoy anime and manga in general, I periodically wax philosophical and love a good debate if I'm awake enough and healthy enough to think straight.

Here's hoping this turns out to be a community I enjoy enough to stick around in!

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote        
Hey, welcome to Midorea! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

What do you like to read?

Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote        
Fiction; mostly science fiction and fantasy, though I wander in just about every direction from time to time. And I admit I do like the occasional delve into an encyclopedia or textbook. Is there anything in particular you enjoy reading? And thanks for the welcome!
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote        
Ehh, I jump around a lot. I'm less of a casual reader and more of a scholastic reader, so I enjoy analyzing literature more than I enjoy reading fantasy books and such. I use so much brain power reading that I really don't do it very often. xD

Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote        
To each their own I suppose ^_^() I admit I probably wouldn't read nearly so much if I didn't read so fast.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah. For some reason I just can't get into it unless I'm making annotations and analyzing it. xP I think those high school English classes broke me of casual reading. I enjoy reading just as much as I used to though - I just do it in a different way now.

Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote        
Makes sense. And I know some people do things that way - I have a second cousin who has a PhD in Tolkienology.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote        
You had me at 'Greetings' and 'I'm new here' in terms of getting me to say hello. But I do hope you like the site! It's nice to meet a fellow artist and book lover too~ Like you, I speed read. Do you have a favorite author or book? I know your genre already~

Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote        
Ah...Not really just one, if varies by mood XD I'm currently on a Mercedes Lackey binge, but I also read a lot of Heinlein, McCaffrey, Anne Bishop, Piers Anthony, Wheel of Time, Tolkien....the list goes on XD What do you tend to read?
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
I vary a bit too, but my favorite series was a trilogy by Justine Larbalestier. I'll basically read anything that peeks my fancy though. I'd quite like to read another Lisa See book though...

Kalietha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote        
O_o I am honestly impressed. You popped up with two authors I hadn't even heard of. What kind of books do they write?
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote        
...I had a whole thing written, copy and pasted it to be safe, then lost it x-o

But in terms of the authors, I've only read one book/series from each of them. For Justine Larbalestier, I read a fantasy trilogy called Magic or Madness, which used magic in a different way and the usual way at the same time, portraying special skills one has as 'magic' along with traditional magic being plausible as well. In it, there is an idea that one goes mentally insane if they refuse to use their magic, etc. It's a pretty neat story overall and the characters were quite fun! Though...The last book or so was fairly creepy comparatively... o.o;

For Lisa See, what I read was the only historical fiction novel I've every truly enjoyed (despite it being quite depressing and at times gruesome in all honesty). It was Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, which portrayed the life of women in 19th century China, explaining everything from gender roles to marriage and foot binding as well. It was quite intricate and interesting, to me.

Kalietha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote        
Both sound very interesting - consider them added to my 'to read' list!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote        
Hehe, hope you enjoy them if/when you do read them. But I mostly hope you enjoy yourself here. Which you seem to be doing so far! Though I'm bad at judging that stuff...

Kalietha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote        
I am, so far XD Even if there don't seem to be terribly many people around.