Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2
neomattlac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I don't know about that. I think some women actually want that, to be so completely taken care of that what they do doesn't make much of a difference; to be almost completely free of consequences; to be prized more than any trophy might ever be.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote        
I've never met a woman who wants that. Every woman who I know wants a relationship in which she is recognized as an equal individual: a person, and not some "trophy." Being appreciated is one thing, but being objectified is another. The line shouldn't be that vague.

And as strong as my opinions are on the matter, I feel that I'm derailing the thread. I'll stop posting now so that you may get back to the original topic.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote        
Beauty and woman are very connected.
And I think there is a connection to appreciation and beauty. I mean, at some point, some men forget how to appreciate beauty, and just praise it. That's how "trophy wives" happen.
As for me, I want someone who would challenge me every single day to beat her in something. Whether it's chess, trivia, karaoke, a sport, or even frivolity. Perhaps, you'll end up being that person, perhaps Marissa will be, or perhaps I don't know this person, but I do know that a good challenge and doing a good job makes me truly happy.

Elrakis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote        
Whoa! I've missed a lot! Why haven't I been notified? Sad

I agree with the previous posters about the relativity of beauty. Sure, in general I find red hair and freckles pretty, but that doesn't mean that I consider every ginger to be beautiful. It's just a general opinion I have. I find beautiful people in all variations and ethnicities. Just as my taste in music, there seem to be no laws of what I find beautiful.

I also agree on the statements of Zooey. Her characters seem to bother me very often, so I just listen to her music instead. See nothing, hear...

So, Chu, should we be looking for the golden ratio all over a person before we declare him/her beautiful? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote        
Big hips, large chest, symmetric face, clean skin, and a desire to procreate?
That doesn't describe my ideal woman.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote        
Elrakis wrote:
Whoa! I've missed a lot! Why haven't I been notified? Sad

I agree with the previous posters about the relativity of beauty. Sure, in general I find red hair and freckles pretty, but that doesn't mean that I consider every ginger to be beautiful. It's just a general opinion I have. I find beautiful people in all variations and ethnicities. Just as my taste in music, there seem to be no laws of what I find beautiful.

I also agree on the statements of Zooey. Her characters seem to bother me very often, so I just listen to her music instead. See nothing, hear...

So, Chu, should we be looking for the golden ratio all over a person before we declare him/her beautiful? Wink

Ah, you brought up something very important, but I want to be clear that I'm not directing it to you. Just a general thing.

For the most part, people like to say that they have fetishes. Let's use red hair as an example, as it is probably the most common "fetish."
Merriam Webster wrote:
feˇtish noun an object or bodily part whose real or fantasized presence is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual expression

So, red hair? Glasses? Nope, not fetishes. While they very well CAN be fetishes, for most people, they are merely preferences, which are not fully necessary in order for one to experience arousal or attraction. I'm pretty happy that I haven't seen the improper use of that word here.

The golden ratio? Silly as it seems, I do think that the golden ratio has something to do with general attraction - in both men and women. However, there are many other things that play on attraction, and in particular, how you approach attractiveness and attractive people. For the most part, people go after people who are in their league. If you're very attractive, you'll date very attractive people; and if you're average, you'll date average people. Here's a very fascinating video that sums it up quite well:
http://bigthink.com/ideas/20752

Elrakis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote        
As you, Chu, I am glad that none of those words that you mentioned have been improperly used here, for that would have been in opposition to my intention with this thread.

I watched the video, twas interesting, but I wasn't originally thinking of attraction or dating - just observation. Anyway, after viewing a documentary on the subject of "what is beauty?" several years ago, it does sure seem that we humans naturally prefer a person with golden ratios and a smile - and the more of that the better. They made convinving tests with babies and such, you know how science works... all the progress... they could eventually make computer generated faces on different steps on the scale of beauty, and both babies and grown ups would pay the faces attention according to the level of beauty. So sometimes we are animals, and sometimes we are robots, it seems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote        
But does that work backwards? Is a female more attracted to a male that smiles more or is more serious?

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote        
Robots, interesting. I think that the predictible behavior just goes to show how much progress we've made - both scientifically and psychologically - over time, don't you think? You have to question whether it is the subject matter that is changing, or the understanding of said subject.

Hm... now my mind is racing with references to White Noise, which is entirely off subject. Bleh.

I don't think that it works backwards, no. I think that women are very attractive, although I am not attracted to them. They're simply more attractive than men, on an aesthetic level. So, those aspects of women that are aesthetically attractive can also be attractive on men.

I, for example, like both men and women with deep voices. (That is, bass and alto, respectively.) This isn't a sexual thing at all: merely a shallow preference. It still carries over both sexes though.

Elrakis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote        
Then you would enjoy my voice. Not really a bass (I play both acoustic and electric bass, though), but more of a baritone... and so I come to think of Joy Division... speaking of Joy Division, I find the english of England very pretty, especially with women, and that includes both southern and northern english dialects. After all, I am some what an anglophiliac.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote        
God mother crackin' jackin'...
How can I compete with that?!
I used to sing in bass until I realized I was miming the voice because I did it so often as a kid. It still feels more natural than.. well, natural singing.