Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Feedback & Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Disable earning currency in "Fun 'n' Games" forum?
Angel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote        
I absolutely HATE how people go into that forum and post in every single game all at once. I seriously think it should be considered spam.

But, since there are people out there who just love to play games, why torture them for simply doing the stuff they love? So, what's the next best thing?

Disable earning the currency in that forum.

That way, the people that are doing it just for the copper won't get it anymore, and the people who just love to play the games won't be affected because they can still play them all without any trouble. :D

Waddya' think? <3

Naked for absolutely no reason.
Ehcuag Emmef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote        
What's wrong with posting in all of them? o_O. Without the games, half the day the forums are completely dead, and if there's no earning I know at least I would prefer to spend my time doing something that would end up being more productive for myself, so I go on other sites...
Angel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote        
Touche.

But, since Copper is earned so easily, it just seems like a big ole' bunch of spam because users go in there, post in well over 30 threads in about 25 minutes, and get upwards of 400-700 Copper in that small amount of time.

I mean honestly... It just doesn't seem fair. >.<

Ehcuag Emmef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote        
*shrugs* The copper could be capped at a lower number?
Angel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote        
If that's possible, that'd be perfect!

Maybe, like, 10 Copper? =o

Cuz' I know if I really wanted to, I could go in, post in all 26 threads, and get 1,300 Copper like that.

See? Right now, you must admit there's a problem. Just look at that number! x.x;

Hiroku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote        
The cap for copper is 50. That converts to a whole 10 silver. That is equal to a whole two to three sentence post somewhere else.

Really its not like you are making a couple hundred silver off the copper conversions.

The main reason you earn copper rather then silver there is so that you wont make a lot of silver for what IS essentially spamming. Due to this that is why you are allowed to post in every game without a minimum post count or anything.

So there for there is no reason to disable currency in the game section.

That and then there would be even less ways to earn copper.

Hope that makes sense.

Here is a good example. This post gave me 31 silver. If it was posted in the game section I would have received around 50 copper. Convert that and its a whole ten silver. So about one third the earnings and most of the posts in the game section are not gonna be that large either.

Embrace the depression
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote        
No, I think it's fine how it is.

As Raz calls me, I'm a "forum jocky" and post in just about every thread when I get on. (And the ones that I don’t post in, I read.) Is that spam? No, because I reply with relevant posts and stay on topic. So do people in the games forum. They stay on-topic and if they don’t then I deal with it and steer them back on track. So no, it’s not spam in the least in my mind. It would be spam if someone posted “chinchillas” in the I’d love to go out with you thread.

In fact I almost feel as if the people that post a lot in the games forum are helping make the community more close-knit because the responses usually reflect their personalities and they learn more about each other. It's a nice, fun way to pass the time and so what if they get 1/3 (fraction stolen from Hiro) of the silver that we get here? I think it's really fair.

Also, copper is only earned in a few other forums and I know that not a lot of users go into them. It's needed for the newbie shop and helps out the economy.

Basically, it's fun, stimulating, and a great way to pass the time if Midorea is dead. Personally I think that if you have a problem seeing someone post in every thread there, then stay away. You don't HAVE to go into the forum after all.

And referring to artificially increasing post-count, because I know it’ll come up: I don’t think that matters too much. It’s only a number. A number that DOESN’T affect how much gold/silver/copper you have. Why should anyone care?

Arikana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote        
      I think it's fine the way it is. :3

Like, I know it can get annoying..but on most forums it's like that cause people just love to play games so why not just let them play?

Besides, like Ehcuag Emmef said, it's one of the more widely posted in forums and without it the forums are almost always dead. Duh

So, unless if you can prove that it's the forum with the least posts then nothing will be changed with the copper currency nor will it be disabled from the forum. :3

Current cosplay: angel guarding the Garden of Eden with flaming sword to prevent humans from ever eating from the tree of life.

Alu is MY sexy NPC lover. <333 So hands off everyone! D:<

The fallen deity,
Arikana
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote        
Another point, its low enough already

1) each letter is about .1 copper
2) each copper is .2 silver

so you need 50 characters for 1 silver

so to get 2500 like you said, you'd need to do 65000 characters

and between 26 topics thats 2500 characters per topic

and if a word is 7 letters(a lot are less.) then thats 357 words

and people(like me) hate doing normal essays, let alone do 357 words per topic! @.@

and most games are short blurbs, and get maybe 5-20 copper

so I think its fair.

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!
Angel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote        
[Hiroku]
Actually, you are making a couple hundred silver off of doing all that. 10 silver conversion x 26 topics = 260 silver.

260 silver in well under half an hour? Seems like a pretty substantial amount to me.

So we're encouraging spamming now?

So what if these people went into the Marketplace forum and did the same thing. They just went in and posted "Good luck buying/selling wantever!" in all the topics on the first page.

What would happen then? Would you just shrug it off? D:

[Chu]
HELPS the economy? No, you're wrong.

Doing all of that artificially deflates the value of silver which, by economic law, inflates the prices of items. D:

[ariKana]
No doubt it's the most heavily posted in forum, but we use that as justification for what just seems like a big ole' bunch of botting?

[MaxR]
Your math is WAY off. Simply because I know that I can post something that barely extends past the text box, making that little scroll bar only just appear, and I can still get 50 copper.

[I'm so sorry if I'm coming off rude to any of you. I'm having and incredibly bad day today.]

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote        
It is not spam! What makes you believe that the posts are spam? Those posts are all on-topic in the thread that they're meant to be in. That's perfectly valid. If you call that spam then you should also call Cat's and Ari's Home threads spam, the marketplace threads spam, AND the hangouts spam.

We do NOT need to worry about inflation. I'm actually pro-inflation at this point because some items just need to be quested for. I've taken a business class for two years; I know what I'm saying. If we went through deflation right now then no one would quest and they'd all lose interest.

Also, you've completely ignored my argument for the fact that it helps stimulate a nice community and conversation. Like I said; don't go there if you have a problem with it.

Hiroku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote        
Angel wrote:
[Hiroku]
Actually, you are making a couple hundred silver off of doing all that. 10 silver conversion x 26 topics = 260 silver.

260 silver in well under half an hour? Seems like a pretty substantial amount to me.

So we're encouraging spamming now?

So what if these people went into the Marketplace forum and did the same thing. They just went in and posted "Good luck buying/selling wantever!" in all the topics on the first page.

What would happen then? Would you just shrug it off? D:
[/i]

Okay the CAP is 50 copper. . . that means if you write the maximum amount. So honestly you would have to have something to think of to type out in the first place. Yes if a user went in a typed "flamingo" two hundred times so they got the max copper then they would have consequences.

Do you realize that these games are ON TOPIC. The topic of the game is the game played and honestly its usually a couple word response yielding 5 to 10 copper.

We are not encouraging spamming and typing "good luck buying/selling" in all the market threads would be fine. They would be posting something that was indeed on topic. They would not be copying and pasting a long pre written blurb of dribble just to get the maximum silver cap for posts, and they would not be double and or triple posting the same thing in the thread over and over.

These rule have been thought out by two VERY capable Administrators and are incredibly similar to very successful site. They have been tweaked to the liking of the admin since this is a much smaller site currently.

All that you are suggesting is not spam, is not a way to earn rediculous amounts of gold.

The posts that are made in the game section each have to be thought out if its a quick or a long response cause all the games are different. People are allowed to post common things like "good luck selling" or whatever if they chose too however if they abuse that by making multiple posts in the same thread saying the same thing then if would be spam. Also if they took large amounts of pre written messages to artificially increase the silver earnings that too would be spam.

However once again everything that you are pointing out is flawed and or not infringing on the rules. Maybe for someone who so constantly quotes people on the rules you should review them with a dictionary to better understand them.

Thank you

Embrace the depression
MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote        
Hiroku has spoken!

and wow, didn't know about that 50 cap

so, there you have it.

besides you can't spam something that big without getting noticed anyway. So no worries about unfair "spam"

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!