Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Overlord Branny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote        
So I'm not sure if anyone has run into this AWFUL virus/spyware/malware..
It disguises itself as Window Vista Defender which is standard for all Vista users...it comes from pop-ups and other such methods from certain sites such a Myspace, ProfileSites and sadly the place I got mine MangaFox.

It simply appears, closes out everything your using and begins to pretend to scan your pc then reports multiple viruses and spyware and tells you to purchase the full version.

This isn't so bad till it starts blocking ALL of your other programs and protection.

I personally have AVG as my scanner but it didn't even notice it..

So I had to struggle with the darn thing popping up and blocking everything to do a search on the nasty bugger and I got the same result.

Downloading a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
I had to switch into Safe-Mode and scan the pc for about an hour. It finally found 9 things I GUESS and it was gone.

The weird thing is that...I feel like maybe the darn things work together...when I restarted my PC blocked Malwarebytes but the Vista Defender thing didn't appear..

I'm not sure if anyone has any ideas about this...I'm not very smart with these type of things but I figure I would bring it up...

But I did do research on malwarebytes and it appears to be very real with many users and techs. It doesn't appear to be a false program..

Info Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

Info on the Virus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Antivirus

Sigh...darn internet nonsense..
Hope everyone else is safe..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote        
I don't use Vista. I still run on Ex Pii. However, I know that this particular virus was one of the things that fried my computer a month ago. I haven't the foggiest idea where I got it from. Though, I do have my suspicions.

And, like you, I use AVG as my firewall, anti-crap program.

Unfortunately whomever designed this program, made it look legit enough to be ignored by the safeguard programs I've ever used. Not only that, it looks legit enough for people to pay it no mind when it starts (This is an expletive. Be creative.) your harddrive.

This year alone, I've needed to wipe my computer three times because of this bloody virus. I'm sorry to hear someone else got hit by this.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Overlord Branny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote        
Totally, its a tricky program indeed. I swear I haven't downloaded anything or visited any smutty sites and STILL it found its way on my pc.

It just crashed my FireFox and was like "Whats up bitch, you need to buy me now, watch as I pop up every 10 seconds and snicker as you cry!!"

I was about to cry..I just spent 200 bucks replacing my fried Motherboard and installing new software and a fresh OS..

But Malwarebytes did remove it and showed a log of where each lil bugger was located and what it was doing and removed, stored and deleted them..

I trust it enough but I'm still very paranoid at this point..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote        
I'm a bit hesitant to download anything else into my computer. So I'm just going to have to wait on this Malwarebytes program. If it works out for you long enough, I might give it a try. Though, I could probably call up a friend who deals with this stuff and have him take a look at it before I try.

And you don't need to go to a smutty site to get hit with this kind of thing. I've read that people are getting more of these kind of viruses from music and file sharing sites. Not that there are any less on the smut sites. But they can hit a broader range of people with music than smut.

(Un)Fortunately, I have become quite proficient at purging my systems and starting off with a clean slate, with this experience.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Overlord Branny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote        
Yeah I understand..I was very nervous with the program too but it had strong background checks and ya know..I could just reformat if push comes to shove so I figured I would just give it a try.

From what I can tell it did remove the program like it said it would and it kinda seems to be one of the only programs aiming towards this fucker...so yeah..

I love and hate it currently..if it backfires I'll cry and start over and limit my site views to the ones I know I can trust...I guess.

I love fearing the internet..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote        
I don't know much about technology or the situation itself, but most of the servers in my school were hit by it. They had to write down all of our lunch numbers because they couldn't use computers. XD