Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Post new topic   Reply to topic You hear the noise from the news, but is it worth listening?

How often do you watch the news?
Every night, I like to keep up with things.
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Once in awhile, I like to keep tabs on pop culture.
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Never! I get all my information of the internet. It much better then the Television networks.
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Sillice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote        
As I sit here by my computer, the T.V beside me blaring with information. But what kind of information am I hearing? Gossip, commentary on Gossip, more gossip, a few rumors in there, oh! and wait...I think I hear a bit of actual news!
Is it just me or is the news becoming a prime-time gossip column with commentary and critics weighing in on matter that barely matter. Where did the news go!? In the old days one could find out the government upheavals in a third world country or a some kind of religious event occur half a continent away or maybe some new findings about a unknown danger or a new discover in science. Now you'd be lucky if you hear about a diplomatic trade. All of it seems to be a constant repeating points that we've all already heard!
Is the news really worth listening too?
Secondly, it hasn't escaped my noticed that more and more blogs and small news papers are taking up the call for really news. Though people are reading them less, their website are a constant hum of information and life. Blogs also are taking up the thread of reporting on specific things. Such as a pagan/wiccan blogger reports on faith issues, the humanitarian blogger will write about humanitarian issues, etc.
Is the new means of news on the web? And if so, what does that make the news networks (CNN, FOX {I've been question them for awhile, actually}, CNBC, MSNBC, etc)?
Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote        
No I don't think that they're worth listening. The other day, I heard people talking how some person should leave her husband! Seriously, it's nothing but GOSSIP, GOSSIP, AND MORE GOSSIP. It's like gossip is taking over our lives. Seriously. If you want news, go read the newspaper! They might cost money, but you also have to pay for cable! It's ridiculous. My family doesn't pay money to listen to stupid stuff, you know?! I want real, SOLID news! Not that I'm not especially interested in news, it's still nice to know what's going on. Like the Santa Ana winds, and so on. Etc. So all those gossip people shouldn't have their channel mixed in with the NEWS channel. And sometimes the "News" aren't even news at all. Sometimes it's just "And guess what they did on the streets?! They had a party!! OMG." Seriously...Good job. BUT I DON'T CARE!! I want to know what's happening to the nation and things, not GOSSIP! It's like after one night everyone is OBSESSED with gossip!! Sorry, am I ranting?? Really sorry, but it's just that I'm fed up with everyone going like ," And then.......Didn't you hear---------" It's their own problems!! Now don't but in!!! ^_____^ Sorry for ranting, and being very weird...hehe.
Transcendence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote        
I agree with the idea that a lot of the news is filled with gossip. Like most recently the big thing was with tiger woods. Who cares! Isnt there REAL news out there. Like what is happening at the white house or over seas?! They give a couple words to the important things then move on to stupid things like john and kate plus 8 people and how they are breaking up. I say WHO CARES?!

I want to hear of things that actually pertain to my life. If I wanted to hear gossip I would talk to some ladies in the grocery store not watch some ones life on tv that I dont know or care about. They can do whatever they please it doesnt affect me. It isnt even news!

I am looking for art for my character. I will be willing to pay.

On gaia I am xxtaintedlips - I dont go on there much though.
Iregyura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote        
I know; the other day I was listening to the news (for once), and some group of wannabes were arguing what they think Tiger Wood's wife should do. Come on. It's their own problem. Don't give me any of that stuff...
Jazzeroki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote        
No, the news is generaly not worth listening to. Most of the time you can get all the really important bits from al jazera, cnn, bbc on their websites. Then you can just pick out the good stories and not waste your time with garbage.
la Acuatico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote        
No, I believe that news these days are not worth listening too. Once I turn on the TV, BOOM! there goes all the complaining, whining, and gossiping from those so-called "reporters." I enjoy people who have their own opinion, but...Aren't they putting too much opinion? So much that on a talk show they actually start screaming at each other and throwing their arms up. Seriously. This is why internet is so wonderful. I only use the family TV for movies, or baseball. Or football, ice skating, any of those sports. Just NOT news. Haha. News these days are so unreliable.
Graymalkin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote        
The news is not worth listening to, as everyone has pointed out already. My father watches the news constantly, and the only thing I wait for is hearing anything over-seas or about what Obama is doing. Other than that I leave the room or just continue reading one of my books. Ha-ha.
HenceForth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote        
Like evertyhing else on television, the news is there for entertainment. There is some informative capacity for it, but in order to get more people watching it (boost ratings) it needs to be exciting and thrilling. And so what the everyman considers 'mundane' gets left out and what we have left is gossip in the form of a news broadcast.
If you're looking for real news there are several other places to turn too. Newspapers are one, they have much more variety on whats reported on on the television news, plus you're supporting a dying industry and fighting the power that is the internet) but these like the tv news also tend to work with the idea of "if it bleeds it leads." Try looking into magazines, go into a large bookstore or your local university library you can sometimes find entire publiciations on a certain current event. The internet is also a good source, but it's not always reliable. There is also as someone else mentioned specific news stations like the BBC, I don't listen to the news because I don't like the way it's reported but when I do want to know whats going i hit up the BBC. On that note CNN is a joke, it is a disgusting mess of distortion and overexaggeration. My hate for the CNN is neverending.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote        
I don't think that it would be worth listening to. I only turn on the TV to watch movies or to see the weather forecast when I'm too lazy to check it up. Otherwise, I never watch it. The other day they were gossiping on TV. It's just ridiculous. They were screaming at each other, literally. So I choose not to listen to the news. It's just not normal anymore. I like the internet. No annoying voices, screaming/blaring music, no stupid commercials. You Click! and you get to read the news. No, "And then, did you know that I think...?" I don't like those, personally. Annoying. Well, I'm done here *o* Probably.
x_lilmissNINJA_x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote        
I sadly have to agree that this is the case. Gossip is more prominent on the news than real news.

You remember the "Balloon Boy" incident last year? Of course you did.

Did you hear about the floods on the Mississippi that caused thousand of people to evacuate? No!

Because everyone was focused on some dumbarse kid in an attic placed by his dad so they could get a freaking TV show!

I'm sick and tired of watching the news. I learn more by watching youtube on a dily basis than by trying to listen to the news! The news is more like "VH1" than it used to be. I want to hear what's REALLY going on, not who shoved what in Lindsey Lohan's car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote        
I pay very little attention to the news networks. I find they have little in the way of real news and are rapidly degrading back to sensationalized and altered journalism (and that out of them FOX is currently the best of the lot). If I wanted information on the world, I am more likely to (ugh) pick up a newspaper or check the 'net. In the end, I generally don't care.
saiyouri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote        
I watch the news at times and I actually enjoy it. There ae alot of sad depressing things on it, but at least I know what is going on in my area and the world. Plus I like hearing what is going on with that 'president' of ours and what he is trying to do to us. Plus the new laws so I know how pissed I can be at the government more than I already am.

I also found out I bought a recalled food product the day before the recall was announced. And thankfully we didn't open it yet so we can return it to the store and not have that thing in our home. Plus the news informs me on the recalls out there and everything else. Plus being a mom, weather is a huge thing to know about. That is a huge absoulte thing I need to know.