Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote        
I was given an assignment in my English class to prepare a thesis statement in response to the article below. I didn't even glance at it, but when I got home I read the title, "Lord of the Memes" and my mind automatically went to 4chan. Reading the beginning letter, I could automatically tell that this article would basically portray the author's opinion on our pompus society, and I was right. XD After plenty of laughing, and failure to even begin my thesis, I decided to get onto Mido and post about it.

So, what are your opinions on this article? Do you agree or disagree with what it's saying?

I personally loved it. It was incredibly accurate from what I've seen of people in real life as well as on the internet. I wish I could write an entire paper on it, rather than a simple thesis!

Here's the article.

Raezarin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote        
That article is pretty accurate as far as I know, but I don't know that much...

I am a lurker and i avoid 'social sites' such as facebook and Myspace, really anythings where the word 'mainstream' can be applied.

*Side Note: Besides, it gets really annoying when everyone assumes you have Facebook and keeps trying to add you. Facebook is stupid. End of story(my personal opinions, no offense to anyone else).*

I am vaguely aware of those idiots trying to impress people with random bits of 'deep, philosophical' knowledge. I say vaguely because by now I've gotten pretty good at recognizing bs and avoiding those who disguise it as gold. Same thing can apply to creatures of 'the buzz' and anyone trying to gain social status from it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote        
I agree with you on the Facebook thing. I tried deleting my Myspace a while ago but after five or six attempts at trying to get the deactivation email, I gave up, deleted everyone from my friends list, and deleted all of my pictures/information. It's kind of pathetic.

*gets back on topic* ^^; I rant too much.

I'm pretty good at bullshitting things but I really only do it to see if the person catches it or something. ;p For some reason I like experimenting like that.

Raz often does the bit with discovering something, bragging about it, and considering it old news a week later pretty often. What's sad is that he never realized he did it, and I wouldn't be surprised if things like that are more often subconscious than not. While we're creatures concerned about appearance, I don't think we're naturally prone to that type of thing.

Raezarin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote        
I'm dense as hell to certain things, and this is one of them. The only way to earn my admiration/respect is to simply be someone I consider worthy of it. example would be my best friend's sister. she's an artist and I admire her skills and I also think she's a great person overall.

Posers, on the other hand, hit a brick wall and won't find the door 'till they cut the crap and say something worth my attention. Sadly most people aren't like this, so we end up with gangs of idiots seeking various ways to dazzle the unwary masses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote        
This article is very true, how impressing people changes. Honestly, I don't try to put on airs in front of people, I just try to act myself and not act like a fool.

I do use a facebook frequently but I hate the apps! The only one I used for a while was a cute little game called Pet Society but that got boring quickly. All I really do on facebook is upload my art (it's faster than DA and I get feedback from my artist friends), voice my opinions on matters and chat with people I hardly see.

Shop at my store!:
http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?p=144435#144435
Transcendence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote        
Hmm..that is a pretty interesting Article. I just skimmed it and there was some words that I could have looked up, but I didn't. Yeah I never was the best at vocabulary.

Anyways this is my thoughts on society.

Today it is all about what gadget you have currently, what online site you use, and what kind of games you play.

Superiority now, is largely based off whether you have a new i-pod touch or have an old trac phone. It is nearly impossible to keep up! Electronics change daily so I guess I stay out of the main stream and I stick with the basics. A cell phone which can get calls out when I need to and a simple computer that does what I need it to. No fancy graphics card to play the latest big game etc.

I have a facebook. I use it only to contact people from high school and college. It is great for getting quick info like where is class today and what do we have for homework and so on.

And this new thing..twitter, what the heck is that about? I know people that say when they do every little thing. WHO CARES? I dont care if you are going to the bathroom or taking a shower. Honestly. URG.

Life is not about how many twitter messages you can make in a day, or how your face is attached to your cell phone, or how pretty your newest gadget is. Life is about relationships and bettering yourself and the world. Honestly it is just a big waste of time to live your live with your nose stuck in something as pointless as facebook/myspace/twitter the majority of your day.

I hate seeing people texting and such in class. Or seeing people logged on to face book for hours on end. Really, what could you be doing on there that is more important than life. I also hate when people crowd around someon that bought the latest phone and then everyone says they will go buy one now so they can have the latest fad. Honestly it isnt that important and people really miss out on the bigger and greater things in live when they are stuck in this technological world.

I am looking for art for my character. I will be willing to pay.

On gaia I am xxtaintedlips - I dont go on there much though.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote        
Texting in class is ALWAYS a big pet peeve of mine; as well as texting in general. I'm always tempted to just raise my hand and tell the teacher so the person will stop paying attention to their stupid text message and start paying attention to what they're supposed to learn. DX Whenever I begin teaching, I will show absolutely no tolerance for that type of thing. It's downright disrespectful.

Honestly the only reason most people buy into the newest thing is because of the hype that it gets and the fact that every single technological update gives us more opportunities to sit on our butts and use our brains as little as possible, and things like that are exactly what we humans love. Sadly, while I do think that we naturally want to be challenged, we also naturally love to be spoiled and pampered. We're creatures of extremes so if it's not one, it's the other. And with advertisements always shoving the shiniest gadgets in our faces, and all of our peers choosing the lazy way out, what do you expect us to choose?

I've realized that those with a lot of friends (I'm talking high school here) do tend to get sucked into the facebook and myspace stuff and completely neglect their school work, while those with smaller social groups or few to no friends challenge themselves academically. I don't think that people should completely cut themselves from their groups of friends but at least attempt to be a little more independent, you know?

Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote        
I thought that it was a interesting article. It was thoughtful and cool, though I didn't get a lot of words...What ever. My grammar sucks.

So, my opinions here:
I personally don't like a lot of sites where you can "add friends" and send them messages or stuff like that. Plus, you can always go on Email and create a group (Like Google groups) and just send your homework problems or whatnot to the address and everyone in the group would get it. So, that solves the problem.
Believe it or not, I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, or Gaia (Or however way you spell it.) I think that those "find your friends" site are stupid. Email is more secure and safe way to talk to your friends.
Plus, lots of people keep asking you for your Twitter or whatnot. They nag you 24/7, even though you don't want to give them your account ID. So it's just better not to have them, in the end.
Also, sometimes people are so attached to those sites that they update every little thing their doing, such as, "GTG, going to the park," or "BRB, feeding the dog,". Who cares? Plus, doesn't that make us some kind of stalkers? Not intentionally, but then we would know exactly what they're doing yesterday night at 10:42 PM. That's just crazy.
Well, I guess I answered what I felt about this article~