Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Square
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Zillah

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote        
@Catghost: Hm, jQuery, eh? I'd be willing to try that first if it's useful for anything besides introducing beginners to programming. Otherwise I could probably get away with skipping it.

@Terrena: Ha, I took a course called Computer Science and was really disappointed when all we did was learn how to use MS Word and PowerPoint. ._. The other computer course I took, Multimedia, was actually pretty cool. We learned some of the basics of film and used Adobe Premier a lot to edit our films. Your school's setup sounds awesome (even though it sounds like they didn't always know what languages to teach xD). And haha yeah, CSS/HTML is so much easier than Java. I was able to teach myself the former, but I'm taking Java classes at my university right now, it's apparent that it would be extremely difficult to self-teach them.
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote        
Not really - it's more akin to "if you're a beginner, start with jQuery." If you just want to do straight up programming though, and not much with the UI aspect of it, then you could probably skip it.

jQuery is primarily used for making websites more interactive.

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Zillah

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote        
Hmm okay. I might give it a try anyway just because I'm a curious person. :P
TerrenaAnimula

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote        
Cat: I'll just go in order...provided I feel like looking at code...after a while, I just get sick of looking at it...which is why I quit wanting to do web design even though I would still love to have that certificate from my community college I went to.

Zillah: I had intro to computer science at my community college. We didn't even use MS Paint. The only MS stuff we used we did on our own time with due dates on a program that sends the information back to the professor. Otherwise we touched base on a few things. We used GIMP, which like usual locked up on me within the first 5 minutes of working in it. We did some html, css, Java, and a bunch of miscellaneous things. I can't remember what all because I had that course my first semester in college and I had that same professor for web design 1 and 2. XD
Zillah

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote        
Oh, I would have loved to have taken a programming-based web design course. My high school offered a web design course, but it was more centered around the design part, like how to choose color schemes and fonts and lay out objects so that they are attractive to the eye. I probably could have benefited from learning that too, but I just don't think it's as fun as coding.

Haha I really love MS Paint. In the aforementioned Multimedia course, I made a stop-motion short film entirely in Paint where two snowmen got into a fight and killed each other. I wish I still had it; it was the highlight of my film career. xD
TerrenaAnimula

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote        
That stuff was talked about during the classes. But it was mostly coding. And probably ultimately mostly css since that's where all the customization of the page went. XD

Aww, I wish you still had it too! I want to see that!
I like stop motion. It is awesome! Time consuming though. XD I made one for my photo 2 class. I made and cut out each individual piece and put it all together...and to top it all off....it was film! But at least all I had to do was develop the film and then scan it and do some cropping and rotating in photoshop, and then put it together in imovie. I titled it Waiting for the First Leaves to Fall....I think...lol. I just made that this past semester. It is on my youtube account.
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote        
Currently catching up on my lessons. Been so busy this week. xD I think it'd also be easier if we skip weekends, that way we only have to cover 5 sections a week? That seems doable.

So we'll start on #5: CSS Classes and IDs on Monday. In Web Fundamentals.

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote        
Blah, I got knocked out of my schedule right as I start CSS. The one thing I need practice on. Laugh

How's everyone else been progressing?

Maeve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote        
Bah, it went nicely as long as I kept doing things regularly. Got a bit busy around the week-end so I sorta forgot to do things, but I'll go check it again after I finish writing this. Javascript is nice, or at least somewhat interactive, which makes it more interesting to do than the html/css part. Wink

killerkitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote        
Woops I actually completely forgot about this. orz

I'm gonna go get to doing it now. :U

Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote        
Ah, Javascript. Smile Once I get through html/jquery/php, I might try and do that too. jQuery is pretty fun too.

-pokes Kitty-
Get to it! :U

Lilykin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote        
Looks like we will be losing our group soon. Sad

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote        
:\ Darn. I understand they have their reasons, but groups were so fun! Limiting it to just 25 seems silly.

I suppose we could always have a skype group or something.

Lilykin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote        
Hmm, they must have changed their minds about groups. Seems we've still got ours. Where is everybody up to? I just finished up the Web Essentials.

Not sure if i want to tackle Javascript or JQuery next. -3-

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote        
I say go for Jquery o3o