Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Kail_Thander

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote        
I've played a lot. My boyfriend collects them. I play D&D, Dresden Files, Shadow Run (Which I love), Vampire the masquerade, and a few others I can't think of right now. Currently we are playing Mutants and Masterminds.

Board games- Khet, Arkham Horror, Zombicide, Malifaux, Smash Up, Last night on earth, Kingsburg. Those are the only ones I can think of right now I'm pretty brain dead at the moment. He has way to many to count.
Zillah

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote        
@fox: Hmmm what's The Farming Game? Not gonna lie, that title is not making it sound too interesting, lol. But I've played more worker-placement games than I ever need to, so maybe that's why.

I have Skip-Bo and Phase 10. They are nice for casual card games. Smile

Haha I always get destroyed in chess. I just can't like that game anymore. ><Venya>< I'm just not any good at it, I guess. If you like all the battle tactics of risk but think too much is determined by the outcomes of dice rolls, there is a game called Diplomacy which does all of that without any dice. There is also The Game of Thrones Board Game which is pretty similar but is set in the Game of Thrones world and also takes a little less time to play than Risk.

@Ninja: I am getting more into roleplaying every day. I will have to check this game out because I have a feeling I might like it.

@Kail: That's awesome! I've become a collector too, haha. I'm actually going to have to look up several of those you mentioned.

Khet is great. It's like chess, but in ancient Egypt. With laser beams. It's like the only abstract game I'm actually decent at. Sad for a math major, haha.

I finally got around to trying Arkham Horror, and I have to say I was not impressed. It felt too much like the game was playing us, like it didn't matter what we did. It's supposed to be more about the story I guess, but still... if I was doing it for the story, I'd just read Lovecraft; no reason to play the game. I guess I'm just over cooperative games. Semi-cooperative, team games are fine, but fully cooperative games feel like you're playing solitaire with your friends.

I know about Smash Up, Last Night on Earth, and Kingsburg. What do you think of those games? I could buy either of the first two at my local game store, but I wasn't sure if they were any good. Smash Up is sort of interesting to me, but Last Night on Earth looked like a pretty generic zombie game. Though since you also like a game called Zombicide, you're probably into zombies. xD
Kail_Thander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote        
I am into zombies. XD I don't think last night on earth was worth it though. I'm actually pretty horrible at khet. If I had to recommend a game it would have to be smash up. We play with a group of 4-8 people depending on their schedules. Smash up is really easy to understand and the set up is simple and fun to play. They also just came out with an expansion.

If you want something slightly more complex go for Kingsburg. That game is more strategic and last a bit longer.

Right now we are waiting for a few games to come in from Kickstarter that we purchased. I recommend checking them out if you haven't some of it is pricey but occasionally the bonus items are worth it.
Zillah

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote        
Okay, I might have to give that game a try. It sounds like it could be pretty hilarious while still being a game. My group really loves Munchkin for some reason, but I don't care for it because its humor gets old after a few plays and as a game, there is just so much randomness that it's not strategic hardly at all. I've been looking for silly games that we can replace it with. One the ones I found that I am in love with is Galaxy Trucker. It's a game where you build a spaceship out of junk on a time limit and then pilot it through the galaxy trying to collect cargo which you can sell if you reach your destination. However, there are lots of hazards like meteor swarms and space pirates, so often your spaceship breaks into several pieces and/or has its entire crew killed and you never reach your destination.

I've only seen Kingsburg played through once, and I don't know if I'm interested in it just because it doesn't seem very interactive. I prefer games with a large social aspect that forces the players to communicate with each other, form alliances, bluff and deceive...

Also, Kickstarter is awesome! My partner and I recently bought a reprint of an older game called Coup. It's a game sort of like Mafia or Werewolves where you must bluff your way to victory. I'm really excited. It's hard to wait so long for it. xD
Kail_Thander

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:18 am Reply with quote        
I just checked it out. That game does look awesome. You have to let me know how Coup plays when you get it.

Deception games we just bought to great ones. We have werewolf and that is always a blast. If you ever get tiered of it I recommended a game like traitor. It plays almost the same but with different items and objectives it is really interesting.

Do you play any miniature games by chance?
Zillah

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote        
I certainly will! We apparently get it in October. It will make a great birthday present for me! ^^

Deception games are easily my favorite kind of games. We have one called The Resistance which is extremely similar to Werewolves except that it doesn't require a moderator. It is only for five to ten players though, so if you have more, Werewolves is awesome, and moderating it is actually really fun. xD And I didn't know you could even buy that game. My group just uses index cards for the roles, haha. Hm, Traitor? I just looked it up. I am interested. I'll see if I can get my hands on that one because I would like to try it.

Battlestar Galactica is another great game with a deception element. You are given a hidden loyalty card at the beginning which tells you whether you are a human (good) or a cylon (evil). Every turn a crisis card is flipped up and bad stuff usually happens to the good side. Often the cards call for a skill check, in which all players essentially vote "pass" or "fail" on the outcome. Voting is done by playing cards face down from your hand. Cards come in different colors which either help or hurt the skill check and different strengths (1 to 5) which make a greater impact the larger the number. Each skill check will have as least two colors which help it and a certain strength which needs to be reached. When all cards are in, the strengths are totaled. Colors which help the skill check have their strengths added while colors which hurt it have their strengths subtracted. If the correct strength of helping cards is reached, the "pass" result happens. Otherwise, the "fail" result (almost always worse for the humans) happens. This game would probably be perfect for you if you like Arkham Horror and Werewolves, because it's basically a combination of both!

I actually haven't played any miniatures games. They tend to be more expensive than regular board games because they are prettier, so I am usually hesitant to buy them. I'd be willing to try one though if the game itself is worth the cost! I'm pretty our local game shop sells a few miniature games.
Kail_Thander

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote        
I will have to check out Battlestar Galactica. My boyfriend loved the series so I might have to buy that for his birthday.

Miniature games are expensive. I'm not to fond of playing them but, I love painting the pieces and learning different techniques. I'm going to Denver Comic Con soon so maybe I'll pick up a few new games there as well.
Zillah

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote        
Oh then he would love it! I had only seen one episode before I bought the board game, and I had so much fun playing it that I went ahead and watched the series. It's probably my favorite TV series now, and the game is my second favorite game, right after the good old classic, Cosmic Encounter.

Yeah, that would be really neat, especially being able to paint and customize them. It is really tempting. And that sounds awesome. Someday, my partner and I want to go to GenCon in Indianapolis, one of the biggest tabletop game conventions in the U.S. We were planning to go this summer, but he lost his job so we can't afford it. D: