Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote        
Need sleep. Can't sleep. Too bleh to do anything.

How do you make yourself fall asleep at night? I usually just stay up til I pass out, which is terrible for me. >< I'd love some tips. In the meantime, I'm gonna fill my brain with senseless things.

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote        
I normally don't have a problem with going to bed, but lately I've been meh, with a general feeling of needing to do something instead of sleeping. I stay up until like 3am most of the time doing random stuff, like playing the piano or downloading apps on my phone. >.< Meh.

But normally, reading something makes me fall asleep. Listening to my favorite music too. And don't lay there awake for more than 30 minutes, get up and move around. Distract your mind for a while, relax. I've found meditation also helps, pretty much just emptying your thoughts. But this doesn't always work, especially if you're stressed, which is why I resort to distractions. Games/movies/music/reading/chatting. But nothing too intense, the point is to calm and relax. xP

Hope you're able to get some sleep though, Chu. :c

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, calming down doesn't generally help when I get to this state, heh. May try to exercise (brief cardio) and meditate.

And playing piano? xD That must drive your family insane.

Elrakis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote        
I've heard that milk, banana and turkey meat have substances in them that make you sleepy. I suggest you have a banana milkshake and a turkey sandwich at night. Smile

I personally don't have problems sleeping at all. I can even sleep during daytime, when ever I want, if I just lay down for a moment and chill.

You could have a whiskey or three (I personally don't like whiskey at all, I would suggest rum or gin). Sure gets me sleepy!

Here is a good tip though: I try avoiding bright lights during night time. For instance, when I get tired I go and brush my teeth. Once I brushed my teeth, I'm not tired anymore. That's because the bright bathroom lights activates the body, tells it that "hey! it's daytime! let's hang around for a while!". So I suggest you walk around with a candle and imagine that you live in a vast castle on a transylvanian mountain top. But then again... maybe you'll stay awake frightened of the vamps! :O

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote        
I set my PSP with music and a sleep timer for 30 minutes. If I'm not asleep by that time, the odd quietness from no music does it.

Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote        
I'm a horrible person to answer this question as I have various sleep troubles. Seriously, sometimes I can't fall asleep, other times I can't stay asleep, and I rarely, if ever, go to bed at what could be considered a "decent" time. (For example, it's 4:37 am as I now type this.) That being said, I have a fair ammount of experience with trying to get to sleep. Light exercise does help, if I do it early enough before I attempt to go to bed. Also, on ocassion IU drink a cup of warm herbal tea of some sort. What helps the most for me though is sleep recordings; either hypnosis/meditation sessions or relaxing sounds (like thunderstorms.) My main problem with falling asleep is that my brain won't stop whirring around and being a noisy butthole, so it's nice to have some relaxing noise to distract me...from my distractions. xD; Even still, that doesn't always work and I can't usually fall asleep until I'm so exhausted that I have no choice. My brain sucks and Morpheus hates me...what can I say? Neutral
nc_serran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote        
This may sound weird, but I try to 'not sleep' when I have trouble sleeping. Sometimes whenever try to sleep, I get too busy and frustrated while concentrating to sleep, only finding that it won't help me at all because I'm making myself fret and let my mind feel stressed.

I just close my eyes.. Make sure I feel cool and not hot.. Then I fall asleep.

If I really couldn't sleep, I warm up a mug of milk. Bouncy Heart
Elrakis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote        
Sly, you should try talking to Hypnos instead. He's in charge, and give him a bunch of poppies while you're at it. Lay down beside him and rest peacefully.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote        
...But the poppies are baaaad news. Shocked

Hai

Elrakis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote        
Oh, don't worry, he won't take it that way. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote        
I'm not of legal drinking age, and I don't agree with alcohol in the first place, hehe. But I did know about milk and turkey! Not bananas though. Might give that a shot tonight. (Yep, having sleeping trouble again tonight.)

Hahaha, that does sound really nice though. Candles and such.

I don't really like music all that much. >_<

I have the same problem, Sly. :/ Pretty much just pass out. I remember listening to those relaxing recordings in the past though. I could pick it up again... Although the ones I listened to in particular were for headaches. (Relaxing alone is probably what did it for me though, haha.)

Ahh, that makes sense, Serran. Something I always bite myself in the ass with: can't concentrate because I put too much stress on myself to concentrate too, haha.

My trouble tonight is that I'm too exhausted to properly rest. It's hard to explain, but I just feel so heavy and sluggish that laying down just makes me feel... miserable. Iunno. Brain acting weird. Will try to get rid of the stress fogging up my mind.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote        
I know what you mean. I ate two ramen packs and two boiled eggs about half an hour ago.

X-Celestia-X

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote        
Before when I can't fall asleep i usually just stare at the wall; which didnt work for me because i just stayed up until i passed out. I was exhausted at school. Instead of watching tv before bed I just read a book, listened to music, ( not rock, classical) and used my computer.
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote        
Heh heh. Because I'm so used to the music on my PSP, the hard rock music, that I listen to, puts me to sleep.

Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote        
You know I read somewhere that either using the computer or watching tv less than two or so hours before you try to sleep is a bad idea; not only is it distracting, but the blue light emmited from the screen is the same frequency as daylight, and it signals your brain that it's time to wake up or some such thing. I've never actually tried cutting down late-night computer usage (I don't watch much tv anyway) though, perhaps I should.... Duh