Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote        
neomattlac wrote:
I tried to shave upwards after I finished with downwards and two things happened. First off, I cut myself a few times, and second, I still look like I didn't shave(I see hair all over my face. Short hair, but hair nonetheless).
I wonder if there's any way to get my hands on some of those orange packets.

Maybe find one of the perfume companies that makes them and see if you can get them directly? Though, not sure what that has to do with shaving. o.O I know a lot of people like that though. No matter what they do they don't look like they shaved.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote        
Well, part of the problem is that I shaved yesterday, but it came back enough that I thought I needed to shave again.

littl3chocobo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote        
what would i be offended about sweetie? and yes though at least with books you can crack open the back and get an idea of whether or not the writer did any research XD here on the net it's all hearsay

actually reading the summaries provided by the fan i feel trepidation though it could only be that the filter is an idiot not the writer(though going through the list i am not certain how i feel about him, the last three books have the reek of pop on them) i will however look him up for myself though since the first and second book look promising

XD i don't think that'd help sweetie, just make you smell good hahaha~
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote        
Try Philip Zimbardo. He's got some interesting stuff. Irrelevant, but interesting.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote        
What do you mean by reek of pop? Let me explain a bit about the author. He's an evolutionary biologist, an ethologist, and was a Professor for Public Understanding of Science at the University of Oxford. He's also an very outspoken atheist. His books are aimed towards helping people understand science, specifically the evolutionary sort.

Some of his fans are not that intelligent. I was just linking you a list of his books, I don't know who the person that posted the list is. It's simply to show you some of the titles. You could probably get a better synopsis of the books if you were to look them up on Amazon or something along those lines.

The reason I say you might be offended is if you are highly religious. Richard Dawkins is -not- liked in the religious community. At least not in the U.S.A., I can't say it's the say if it's the same or not for other countries. As my first paragraph says, his aim is basically to show that God is not needed to understand the universe.

Edit: As far as seeing if someone is just posting hear say, or has actually done their research...you can usually tell that by looking at the website as well. If the poster is reputable at all, then they will post links or sources so that you can verify the information they have provided. If they have that then there's a good chance they have done their research, if not then they may be talking out the side of their neck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote        
Meh. This is why I didn't major in philosophy. I argue too much and I don't cite my sources.

littl3chocobo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote        
sweetie i am very much not religious(or atheistic either since it is the same fanaticism in the opposite direction) i am a firm believer that religion is /not/ a point for either side to argue with or against unless it is an argument on religion

yes but you have to check the sources of the links as well though you are right it is the same with books, maybe i feel more at ease with written literature since i have allowed in it for about the last 19 years(and before that though i think drsuess should not count) and have a passing knowledge of several bodies of work either from first-hand readings or from other references from books on subjects that span similar topics
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote        
littl3chocobo wrote:
sweetie i am very much not religious(or atheistic either since it is the same fanaticism in the opposite direction) i am a firm believer that religion is /not/ a point for either side to argue with or against unless it is an argument on religion

yes but you have to check the sources of the links as well though you are right it is the same with books, maybe i feel more at ease with written literature since i have allowed in it for about the last 19 years(and before that though i think drsuess should not count) and have a passing knowledge of several bodies of work either from first-hand readings or from other references from books on subjects that span similar topics

The type of Atheist we are, including Richard Dawkins, are skeptical. We lean more towards Atheism because all Scientific evidence points to there not being a God. That being said, if proof should arise our opinions would change. There are Atheist that are fanatical, but most of us are more scientifically minded and require proof for everything. I suppose it would be easier just to call us Skeptics, but most people don't know what we mean by that.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say about books versus the internet. It's the same in different formats. You have to check the sources used in books or online if you are to trust them. You can't just take anything at face value, but the more reputable books and internet posts will have sources so you can go and check them and make sure that it's factual for yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote        
Anyways, I wonder where I'm going to travel first. I got my passport application put in last week.

MaxR
Programmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote        
I had a big rant about how I felt about processed and chemically altered foods from the first page...

But not sure if I should post it in light of the changed topic of Richard Dawkins and such.

Why you ask? Because I am the Mad King of Midorea!
I accept and encourage donations of copper!
Want a good deal, and silver? Exchange here!
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote        
Go for it Max. I'm not really 100% sure how the topic changed. XD Since the original topic was about natural foods then go with that! Don't worry about our side tracked conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote        
well my rant was going to be on my opinion of unnatural foods as it were. Seeing as you were talkin about the OJ and angry about how the natural OJ is still unnatural and how you guys wished there were more natural options available.

My little devil's advocate rant was going to be along these lines. (in the red, I had pretyped it earlier)

Yeah, I would say if you want anything without alterations, grow it yourself.

Nothing from the store will be natural, not fully.

But that is your choice. I just accept the chemical stuff. White bread, orange juice, etc.

I just watch for how much sugar it has, and try to stay away from things with high fructose corn syrup.

There are other things I weigh the options on, but that is a long list.

But I do accept them when I have too, and they don't repulse me that much.

Especially since I DO know about them. It doesn't feel sneaky, or plotting.

These people want to make something we enjoy, and make a lot of it.

They can't simply do it like you would in a garden, impossible. We'd have world hunger. Not like now, I mean the world would literally starve itself.

It's too slow, and if it wasn't then it is too high scale and you need to protect from bugs and disease. And even then, making it last the trip to the store and until it's bought. Why make juice if the oranges died before being added? Why send the orange juice to the store if it's spoiled when it gets there? Why add something to the shelf if expired?

The companies are forced to do what they can, and guess what, our world population is high as hell, and still living. We can still post on mido, we can still live.

We are sustained enough to MAKE these decisions, to GROW our own foods if we feel they aren't providing good enough quality.

I feel that I am lucky to have all this chemical nonsense rather then starve to death.

Though I feel it is lucky, mind you I would still prefer healthier sources, and will choose them if I can. But I won't rag on the "bad" food either because I understand why they made the sacrifices they did, and see what it's doing.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote        
I understand completely why they do it. I'm not ignorant to how impractical it would be to make orange juice the way I would in my kitchen. That's fine. The issue is this: When you look at the label it says oranges only. It says nothing of the flavor packs that are added to it. Therefore, they are intentionally lying to us in order to have their product bought before others are.

Only by extensive research, or luck, can you find out what most of the companies actually do to their products. It was the same with the pink slime in ground beef. These companies will not tell us unless they are forced to. Laws need to be put into place that are the same with organic foods for any that call themselves 'natural', and if they aren't going to be all natural then they need to put that on the label.

We are only so fortunate for the chemical laden food. Yes, it creates more. However, a lot of the chemicals that are added to our foods are unhealthy or only kinda healthy. We can't really make informed decisions if the information is not out there and easily obtainable. I should not have to use my free time to do research because the company wishes to make more money by cutting corners.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote        
That is true, very true.

Though what are the flavor packets made of? I believe you said orange byproducts, which would then only be made from oranges.

Though I also believe you said it was chemically altered byproducts. In which case I would have to agree that they should add them to the label.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote        
MaxR wrote:
That is true, very true.

Though what are the flavor packets made of? I believe you said orange byproducts, which would then only be made from oranges.

Though I also believe you said it was chemically altered byproducts. In which case I would have to agree that they should add them to the label.

Chemically altered orange by products that are made by perfume companies. >< I don't want to drink -anything- a perfume company has had a hand in. Just saying.