Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 am Reply with quote        
I posted this on another thread and met with one user that was a bit on the vicious side about the fact that I dare ask that the truth be told. I had repeatedly said that I don't care how they make it, so long as they tell us, but the responses make me feel that she wasn't really listening to that fact. So, here's the meat of the thread:

So, my husband and I are trying to get away from processed food, and start eating things that are all natural. This is turning out to be harder then you might thing for some items. Fruits are obvious, they are fruit and look like fruit right? What about the things that are suppose to be 100% fruit made? I mean things like Orange Juice such as Simply Orange or the like, or even Jelly that's suppose to be all natural. How are these things made?

Well, my husband found some interesting information. There is one sure fire way to find out if something truly is all natural or not. Oranges that are from different parts of the world do not taste the same. However, juice that is made from oranges from different parts of the world -do- taste the same. Unless you happen to have a truly organic story near you that juices oranges. That may be different. What I'm talking about, though, pertains namely to Simply Orange and the like.

I understand that the thousands of gallons of juice these companies have to make could not be made the way that we might do so in our own kitchen. This article explains how it's done though.

If you don't want to read the article, then I will give you the short version. Basically, these companies de-oxygenate the oranges and store them for years at a time. Being as the oxygen has been removed they can hold for longer. Unfortunately this means that the oranges are left flavorless. So the companies replace the flavor with flavor packets, kinda like the flavor packets we put in water. These packets do not have to be listed separately on the container because they are orange 'by-products', even though they are heavily chemically manipulated before being added back into the flavorless, oxygen deprived orange juice.

Yay for label laws that leave these companies with the freedom to lie to us by using 'by-products'. I don't know if this is true for any other country in the world. I'm in the U.S.A myself, so things may be done very differently here. This article has made me think a lot about the different juices and 'natural' foods that we eat and what these food companies might be hiding from us.

So, what do you think of this? How do you feel about this? I don't know about any of you, but I'm disgusted. My husband and I will be buying a juicer and making our own from now on. I would like to know what is in the food I eat, after all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote        
Well, I used to work for a market research firm that catered specifically to organic/natural foods. So I've heard a lot of this stuff.

If you want my advice, don't go for foods labelled 'natural' because there is no set definition for 'natural' like there is for 'organic.' Anybody can say their food is natural, but there's no certification reqeuirements for it, while to be certified as organic, there's a long series of tests and fees that the farmer has to go through.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote        
I was not aware of that, Malverne. Thank you for that information. I actually intend to just make it myself, but in a pinch I can always try to get something that says it's organic.

There really need to be regulations for both. I'm really sick of being lied to by all of these companies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote        
I think the term 'natural' came around from people were had all the qualifications to be organic, but couldn't afford the fees, but now...well, it can be anything.

But if you're makin' your own, good on ya. My drink of choice is chocolate milk and...well, I don't really have a cow in my backyard. She's about half a mile away, and I don't really want to bother lugging a bucket of raw milk half a mile to pour some chocolate syrup in. ^.^

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote        
There's nothing wrong with that. I don't live on a farm or anything so I don't have a cow either. We now know what is done to them, though, so we can decide if that's what we want or not. It's an easy source of calcium so we do still drink it, though both my son and I are slightly intolerant. We can only have one glass a day or we get sick.

The natural thing would make sense for people that couldn't afford the fees. Perhaps if there were a lower fee, but still the regulations, then we could be sure that both organic, and natural foods were what they claim to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote        
Well here, in Sweden, we have several swedish OJ brands. One of them is called Brämhults, and they are the best! They make their orange juice new for every season. So one year the juice might come from spanish oranges, another year from portugese, and so on. So they vary slightly every year but do taste great in any case. I drink that with confidence. Smile
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote        
That's awesome. I just wish these companies would be honest with us. Oh well, live and learn right? Now I know not to drink it, I just hope that the chemically altered flavor packets haven't already done damage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote        
Humanity needs a serious de-tox.

I've heard about people who just live of fresh fruit and foods from their surroundings. It is said that they eat such clean food that their poop smells pineapple AND WOW MY CAT JUST CAME IN WITH A SWALLOW! SHIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! Just had to say! Happy
littl3chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote        
actually to be 'natural' it has to be 51% derived from a natural food, the other 49% is negligible

i learned that and now i cannot eat strawberry applesauce without becoming ill(i was stupid enough to ask, the bulk of the flavor for 'strawberry' is from a wood pulp)
Milotic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote        
I'm appalled...
I have a 17 month old son and my husband and I try to make sure he has the best of what he needs, this means 1OO% juice and the like..and to hear about how they actually go about this..that is alarming..What's in these so called flavor packets and why can't the public know? I would love to know what is actually going into my son's body..
I guess this means we'll be buying loads more of fresh fruit and veggies and making our own juice like they used to do. That way I know what's in it.

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote        
-shudders- Yeah, I read something about a lot of breads having wood pulp in them too. It's bad enough that there is sugar in everything without something that isn't even food being included as well. -grumbles-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote        
Wood pulp? What is wrong with this country? Isn't there a line that shouldn't be crossed about what we will let children and the rest of humanity to eat? Guess I'll be making pretty much everything myself. ;O
littl3chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote        
dudes you have no choice with what you eat, as horrible as it sounds in the country of 'freedom' we have 0 freedom of what we put in our body unless we physically leave, even the imports are regulated and set up to screw us over

you know it is illegal to eat american beef in europe because we do not use restraint on hormones and antibiotics in our beef? and that cow blood is used not only in food for our cattle but as a substitute for milk when weaning calves?

what we do not know about food is disgusting, what noone may know about our food makes me want to leave and never come back to this place
Milotic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote        
Wow..I didn't know that..Makes me not want to eat meat anymore..
littl3chocobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote        
i stopped eating it for a few weeks when i found out what they feet to beef chicken and pork, if you pm me i can tell you but that is too gross to say in-thread