Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote        
I think that the reason that evil doesn't really exist(in my opinion) is because there isn't a set definition of the word. I mean, I learned more about 'evil' people in D&D than everywhere else. There was a Chaotic Evil person in our party who was actually a...well, not really a nice person, but she was pretty average. Shewas really impulsive and didn't really care who got in her way, but she could still have nice moments.

In D&D, your alignment is defined by your actions, and I think that in the real world, it's the same, and we forget that people can have a personality that's incredibly out of the norm for what you'd expect, given their alignment. Like that video of Hitler flirting with Eva Braun, which was really fricking cute. There's a weird shift of view when you take the person whose actions are labelled evil, and look at the person who committed those actions.

Cora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote        
I believe that yes Evil, or rather what most people attribute as evil, does exist, but I don't believe evil is born into the world, its made. To replace "Evil" with "Empathy" is rather silly as I have no "Empathy" for a person who goes into a school as shoots a whole bunch of small children. I'm sorry if that may be callus but its the truth. I do not however feel like that same person was born with the intention to do it.....it was a bad series of circumstances that created evil within the person. But he still had the choice not to do it.....so he still chose evil.
Zillah

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote        
Interesting! I'm a bit of a moral nihilist myself, so I do not believe that there is any absolute good and evil, only what society deems good and evil.

People do everything for a reason. Very often, it's not a logical reason that anyone could possibly have conscious predicted, but it is a reason. All our actions are determined by the programming of our brains. A bunch of neurons in your head fire when you have experiences and that is how you know what to do in response. A person doesn't commit murder or even genocide because they are evil. A person doesn't give all their money to the poor because they are good. All people simply act on complex neural impulses based on many past experiences that tell them what to do.
Weiss

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote        
I believe evil can exist, though not because a person simply does bad things or is just a hateful individual. Or just a plain sadist.

I can't exactly explain it properly but in my mind I think there's a certain boundary that shouldn't be played with; that if someone crosses they'll have one hell of a time going back to being... human.

keep your sights above.