Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote        
How do you get up and do the things you do? What DO you do? Do you go to school, work, both, nothing? What does your daily routine consist of?

Currently all I do is school, two fairly easy classes to be exact. And yet I seem to be overwhelmed with stuff to do? I'm struggling just to manage classwork, Midorea and family on top of a somewhat pathetic social life. I really need to manage my time a bit better, it'd probably clear up all of the problems I'm having... but I honestly don't even know where to start to even do that.
It's like, I see what I need to do but there's just so much of it that I don't know where to start. What would be some suggestions to try and get my shit together? How could I go about managing my time so I'm not utterly overwhelmed by everything?
I've tried "to do lists", but they really did nothing but remind me of how much I hadn't done haha. A schedule is something I could try again...

Feel free to post about your daily life ongoings and such, as I'm really curious to see what other people actually do.

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote        
At the moment, I'm juggling one massively hard class, two supereasy classes that take maybe one hour of work a week outside of class, TaeKwon Do classes, writing stories, social life, D&D, jobhunting, writing essays for college scholarships, and cleaning my big-ass house.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.

My main problem is long-term stuff. If I need something done in an hour, by golly, it'll be done in an hour. If it is due in six months...I'm going to forget about it until an hour before it's due. So collegey stuff (applying and writing essays for) just doesn't...click for my head. I don't really get stuff done early. Ever.

I'm getting really tired of my alarm waking me up at seven in the morning. One of these days, I'm going to be able to sleep in more than ten to twenty minutes, and dammit, it's going to feel amazing.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, today was supposed to be my day to really sleep in, but that didn't work.
All I'm doing right now is getting addicted to the net, looking at a few organizations that could use my certain "skills," and going to school(looks like I'm gonna fail 3/4 of them. OTL).

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote        
That is a lot of stuff. Do you have a routine? Or do you do it just whenever?
My problem is when I don't have a routine, I tend to end up not doing it or waiting until the last minute. It's kinda like the long term stuff, but... It goes for everything haha.

Sleeping in is also something I'm bad about. Especially lately, when I could use to just bribe myself to get out of bed by buying an awesome breakfast. But not even that has been compelling enough.

Also, I found something that seems to be working pretty good for me so far. Have any of you heard of "Don't break the chain"? Charlie had a youtube video about it which I came across on accidentent actually. But basically, on a calendar you mark the day with an x for everyday you do 30min of whatever it is you needed to do.
I have 3 x's I'll mark on a single day(school, midorea, job-related), which has really been working for me cause of my OCDness. I can't have a blank space. Must fill it U:
But yeah, it's good cause even on days where I don't want to do anything I'll at least get an 1 1/2 of work done. Which is better than nothing.

SO YEAH. Somewhat of a success so far.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote        
I've realized lately that I leave a lot of stuff undone. I got a guitar, but never learned to play. I've read up a lot about business and made a mental business plan, but I never wrote it down, nor started a business. I've always wanted lose weight and I know I can do it, I just haven't. Most stuff that I finish is because it's for someone else.
I don't like the idea of a routine, but the actual thing works pretty well for me. I mean, you can't entirely depend on every day going exactly the same.

Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote        
For the most part, my life is currently consisting of work, dogs, sleep, and a few extra odds and end things to keep me from going insane.

I work full time at a veterinary clinic, which I love to do. However, half the time I'm besieged by allergy related problems of some sort. I really ought to get tested to see what exactly my body has problems with. But I've just been lazy in that respect. I don't want to actually look to find a bunch of doctors to keep me running. But I don't want to fall apart either. Bleh.

We've got a handful of canines my our house. Most of them will be going to other homes once they're old enough. I'm going to honestly say that in spite of the adorable puppy faces and unfetter affection, I REALLY DON'T want to do this anymore. I've said this after the previous littler. And apparently there's going to be another one after this at some point.

This litter was hard. Heartbreakingly so. I'm not going to depress people with all the details. So, long story short. We started with 13. Two weeks later we had 4. The survivors are now happy, healthy two month olds.

I'd been trying to catch up on my sleep on the side. But with all the caffeine I'd been taking, I was having a hard time falling asleep. I've since been trying to wean myself off of that chemical. Its been working, but now I'm getting those withdrawal headaches. Blargh.

Now that I have a touch more free time to myself, I've been trying to get back into gaming. It'll take a little bit to get back into the swing of things, but it's looking good for the most part.

So, yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote        
1) Give yourself a reason to do something, or remind yourself why you're doing it.

e.g. "Once I finish this pixel, I'm going to buy some chocolate for myself."

Or e.g. "Once I finish this pixel and show it to everyone, they'll love it and be excited that I've made it."

(ahaha shittiest examples)

The issue with this is that you'll also have to have some self-discipline for at least the first one to work. You'll have to be able to not just always give yourself what you want when you don't deserve it.

2) Meditate.

If you find yourself having to do something but really really /really/ not wanting to, stop everything you're doing and meditate for five minutes. Just sit there not thinking. Then for another five minutes, meditate on doing the task. If you tackle it in your MIND first, trying to figure it out in reality is a lot less daunting. I do this with essays when I'm at a complete loss how to start/continue it. Instead of typing a sentence that I keep erasing, or staring in horror at the blank screen, I meditate. That way if I make a mistake or do something I don't like, it has no immediately visible consequences, I can just erase it in my mind and rethink it.

Did any of that make sense? ~___~

3) Train yourself to be more self-disciplined. This doesn't mean immediately. One time a day, or one time a week, if you find yourself doing something you know you shouldn't, stop. Just once. Refrain yourself just once.

e.g. You start eating a bag of chips, even though you aren't hungry. Stop, put the chips away, and do something else more healthy. Go for a walk, for instance. Or even just watch TV.

You could also take a handful of chips and force yourself to eat only that handful, don't return to the bag for more.

If you keep doing this, and keep forcing yourself to be more and more restrained, you will find that it is easier doing the opposite of restraint, and making yourself /do/ something you need to do.

It seems daunting at first, but like I said, start from small things and work your way up. It could take a month, it could take a year. The best thing is that you are /working/ on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote        
My problem with that though is, I can see the reason to do it and I want the result, but I still can't force myself to do it. That has really improved though, because I've forced myself several times to /do/ it, and so I've been able to see the results first hand, instead of just thinking of them.

Self discipline is something I do need to work on though; I'm glad you brought it up. I will definitely work on that more. And meditation seems to help a lot the few times I attempted it - so yeah, gonna work on all of that more.

Neo: That's sorta like me, I even bought a guitar and never learned it. (somewhat - I know how to play cords but nothing advance)
I'm the worst at starting up a bunch of projects and never finishing them, mainly because my mind has to continuously be stimulated or else my anxiety starts to set it. Normally the projects are not important, so it's not so bad if they don't get finished; but still. Having so many things incomplete is kinda... irritating? In a sense.
Something that helps though is, if I find something that's gone unfinished, I'll sit down and decide wether the project was worth finishing; and if not, then it'll be discarded. And if it is, I'll finish the project then and there.
The less stuff you have to remind you of what you haven't done, the better you'll be and less overwhelmed you'll feel. A clear mind will help you to better finish things, because you won't start and realize there's something else you need to finish.

Tsemara You should definitely try and figure out what's bothering you if it's affecting you that bad, you don't necessarily have to get medication but knowing what it is will help you to better avoid it. (and thus will help you to feel better) Smile
I'm sorry to hear about that litter though. :c Taking care of animals can be both amazing yet heartbreaking, something that's all too familiar.
I'm happy to hear they're doing good though! What breed are they? =)

WhingingNinja

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote        
I currently don't work or school cause of illness however Mondays I volunteer for four hours at the thrift store I go to which is good. I also look after my animals as I have about two hundred parrots and birds and a cat and four rabbits plus one guinea pig. Plus I'm keen on crafts so I do a fair bit of that. In between all of that I have appointments like doctors appointments, and I see friends when I can as they live a fair way like an hours drive from us. I also do house work, and cooking when I'm feeling well enough so busy but not at the same time haha and there's my other half and his family and whatever else comes up in life.
neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote        
WhingingNinja - Can I live there for a few weeks? Happy
It sounds cool to have so many birds, for a short time.

I need to test that meditation idea.
There's one project that I would like to finish, but I don't have many tools. The project is to sculpt a gun. A particular gun. Made of wood, hopefully with finish, and a small amount of moving parts, including a moving slide and a trigger.

WhingingNinja

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote        
neomattlac lo I'll have to post piccies of our avieries it really isn't that impressive but its a cool hobby/passion it takes a lot of time so its what I do lol I love rehabilitating birds the most the ones thats been abused.
zenphor667x

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote        
Getting stuff done does consist of a lot of self-discipline, but I think it's also the thought process. Sometimes it's better not to think about doing what you need or have to do, and just do it. Thinking about it or just saying "OH GEEZ I GOTTA GO AND DO THIS, I'M SO LAZY RIGHT NOW THOUGH" slows you down. Don't completely shut your brain off but know that stuff needs to get done.

I used to have someone of a busy schedule but it calmed down since the semester is almost over.

I work part-time, and I go to college. For free time I took hip hop classes during the night, and if I'm not doing that I'm studying or by a friend's house. My work schedule is random, but it definitely takes up my weekend and some weekdays. Sometimes I don't want to go straight to work right after class since I like stopping home but sometimes it can't be helped.

Once you know the reasons for what you're doing, and want to succeed and not let yourself down, it becomes a little bit easier.

To keep myself going I have constant reminders. I wear a pendant that stands for 'determination' to tell myself not to give up, etc etc. Stuff like that.
neomattlac

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote        
Quite the opposite for me. I don't have much of a schedule, and I just do whatever. I mostly sit on the couch and surf the net, though lately I've turned to books and TV because my internet's been slow.

VampireSoul

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote        
I don't have a life right now, just internet, tv and books. I hang out with my friends for lunch and either tv or mall or some other activity every Friday.
Job hunting is hell, and now I am holding off because we are moving this summer.
I skipped spring semester at school,I just gotmy Liberal Arts AA and nowI am signed upto take a beginning class for an IT certificate this fall.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote        
VampireSoul wrote:
I don't have a life right now, just internet, TV and books. I hang out with my friends for lunch and either TV or mall or some other activity every Friday.
Job hunting is hell, and now I am holding off because we are moving this summer.
I skipped spring semester at school,I just got my Liberal Arts AA and now I am signed up to take a beginning class for an IT certificate this fall.

IT degree sounds like fun.