Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote        
Take a look at this.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/african-critics-of-kony-campaign-hear-echoes-of-the-white-mans-burden/

I haven't gotten very involved in Kony 2012 because I recognize how things on the internet can often be very skewed and misguiding. However, after reading this article, I'm beginning to form an actual opinion, and it seems to be a very unpopular one. This article makes a very good point, and I think that we all need to take a critical look at ourselves and the situation before rushing into action. What do you think?

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:22 am Reply with quote        
I think this issue is blown out of proportion. Kony is a very small deal compared to a lot of things that have been overlooked. Such as the Rwandan genocide.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote        
I agree. Things on the internet in general tend to be blown out of proportion. :P Attach dying kids to that and you've got yourself a mob of no-lifers seeking someone's blood.

Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote        
Ahaha, I'll copy and paste something I wrote on this before.

First, someone posted this:

Quote:
i do not want to see my country turned into a war zone while they look for this man who is no longer there and has not been for years. Uganda is actually in a relatively peaceful state right now compared to years before. not when it comes to poverty, health care, and things like that but at least when it comes to war. if people want to help they need to invest in our health care and help us build up our infrastructure so we can become more self sufficient. and assist us in being able to make money off of our own natural resources like the oil that china and the u.s. are bargaining from us for.

let them not do to us what they’ve done in Iraq

I wrote,

That’s why I was hesitant to reblog Kony 2012 and ignored many of it at first (before peer pressure got to me, gdi I hate being a sheep).

For one, the thing made me feel a bit uneasy (which turns out that gut feeling was right, as the campaign founders are wackos)

And second, I never like the idea of Americans stepping up because /other Americans/ tell them to. Like… yes, what Kony is doing is horrible, but what about the people in the actual country? What do they want to do about it? I doubt they want the American government/army barging in on their nation. But that’s what we always do, and apparently we still haven’t learned that maybe- JUST MAYBE- other countries can actually live and thrive WITHOUT OUR HELP.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote        
Also this. (Read from the bottom, up.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote        
Hahaha, exactly!!

Usually I can talk you to death about, well, anything. But in this case, I really have very little to say. The signs are everywhere that what most people are demanding is wrong; but me voicing that will do very little to dissuade them. All I can hope for is that people like this - living in Uganda, and speaking for themselves - can speak strongly enough so that we will all take a step back and re-assess the situation.