Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
KiwiRose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote        
How do you get motivated, or stay focused on a project?

I tend to procrastinate way too much, and I never get anything done. If it's not important to my or my families survival (cooking, health care, et cetera), I usually fail. Or take three years to do something that should have been done in 2 weeks.

Thoughts?
Sonatina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote        
I always procrastinate....especailly with homework (which really is the only thing I have to procrastinate right now but shhhhhh). I'm always finding new ways to procrastinate too, like watching T.V. (Castle, Big Bang Theory, Once Upon A Time, Body of Proof!!!!!!!!), messing around on photoshop, or going on the internet (Midorea! Stumbleupon, and of course facebook!!).

One of the things I have to do to get myself working is kind of a reward chart. For instance: "you do blank amount of home work, or you read blank amout of pages (text book pages, I love to read!...just not text books) and you get to do fun things for blank amount of time. That usually works for me on a day to day basis, but when I have a week off I usually have to make a list of things to do and what day I am going to do them Sweat

As my Grammy says "why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?!"

KiwiRose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote        
I really like the reward chart idea! I never thought of that, not even anything close. Shocked

I think I may have to try this. I'll get my hubby to make sure I enforce it. Laugh

Thank you for the idea.
Sonatina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote        
I manipulate myself Laugh though sometimes I procrastinate too much and don't get work done. So having him watch over you is probally a good idea... Bouncy Heart
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:36 am Reply with quote        
I sort of yell at myself to get myself started on something, but I'm usually pretty good once I start something. However, reading textbooks or something really bland like that is one thing that I have trouble concentrating on.

KiwiRose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote        
I'm having one of those surges of energy, and I'm wondering how long it will last.

I've painted 4 figures in the past two days (miniatures for D&D)m and with much gusto, I might add. Fingers crossed that it lasts!
Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote        
I am THE biggest procrastinator in the world. Right now I"m procrastinating a document that was due Friday that I need to get done before I can take my final, which I have to do either tomorrow or Friday. Yayy.

::Shop::
neomattlac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote        
I've seriously procrastinated losing weight. I need to lose 50lbs, I want to lose 120lbs. When I say need, I mean, if I don't, my health will suffer greatly. If I lost the 120lbs, I would be so much better off. I would like to lose 20lbs before July, but that's a lot of work...

KiwiRose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote        
I want to drop 30-50 pounds myself, but I always talk myself out of working out.

Two things I did manage to do that have helped, are swearing off of pop, and having a fruit & veggie smoothie for breakfast. Those two little things have already helped me drop 5 lbs in the past month... and that's a lot, considering I still eat crap and don't work out.
Lollipop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote        
I can only get motivated for things that I came up with myself or really want to do. If I have to something that I don't want to do then I procrastinate until the very last second. I can't make myself be motivated. I just am or I'm not. XD
Elrakis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote        
Depends on what kind of project it is. If it's something I'm forced to do, like when I was in school, I'll usually do it in the last minute. If it's something with my job though, then I'll do it straight away. But with personal projects, they might take time.

I used to play lots of music some years ago, and I also wrote fiction, painted, drew, and other creative stuff. I figured that I never got anything done, I kind of threw away all of my creativity, time and effort on all these small projects. Twas scattered like light in a prism. And so life changed, and I decided to stick to the art that was the easiest to do for me and which minimum requirements: writing.

Since I've focused only on writing, I get somewhere with the projects I have. They even get completed! But I let them take time, I don't stress. Can't hurry art, can we? So with these facts (focused my creativity and letting it take time), I've noticed that I'm in some kind of cycle which repeats itself and slowly brings me forward...

First, I collect and obeserve anything and everything around me, for inspiration, details, characters, you name it.

Secondly, I analyze what I've collected, take notes, put ideas together, throw ideas away, etc.

Thridly, I create. I might write a synopsis, or describe a character in a story, or what ever. In one way or anther, there is creation involved.

And number four... nothing... I can go on doing nothing on my project for a week or two. I usually do something completely unrelated meanwhile, like read a book or play a computer game or something else. I guess that's when my subconcious process the three previous steps and naturally, I'm back at the beginning again!

And that's how I progress, and I'm happy that I don't have to force myself to it. It's a biological clock in me now! Happy
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote        
KiwiRose wrote:
I want to drop 30-50 pounds myself, but I always talk myself out of working out.

Two things I did manage to do that have helped, are swearing off of pop, and having a fruit & veggie smoothie for breakfast. Those two little things have already helped me drop 5 lbs in the past month... and that's a lot, considering I still eat crap and don't work out.
Jab I can't have smoothies, because I can't have milk, yogurt, etc.