Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote        
Normally I don't get into politics and whatnot, but I found these two bills interesting because, duh, internet.

I'm still thinking about my opinion, strangely enough. I haven't really digested it all yet. But no one else on Mido brought it up, and I figured it should be a fairly active topic right now considering the possible ramifications of passing such bills. I'll provide links to the Open Congress website and two websites that take the opposing side of this bill - I have yet to find any "real" supporters other than faceless corporations, but I'm weird: I like looking at both sides of every story, no matter how preposterous.

Please, take the time to read things carefully, and try not to let any fear-mongering influence you. I understand how threatening this bill is to people like us, but no matter what the situation, it's never safe to let fear control you.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/show
http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/
http://americancensorship.org/

Share with us what you think about all of this, whatever "side" you're on.

EDIT: I posted this thread in this particular forum because it's a concern for everyone here on Midorea - not just The University buffs or whatever. I want to be able to discuss it at a level that we can all stand on.

And also, there's a petition if you're interested.

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-internet-control-bill-now

Pikmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote        
Wow are these bills boring to read, I wonder how anyone gets interested in law. Still, I think I read about these a while back, and thought they were moronic even then ~_~

The internet is a big income for a lot of people and with idiots patrolling around with their "ban everyone" wands people will be too scared to start any new businesses at all any more, meaning we could miss out on some potential great companies (as well as a few shit ones I guess lol). But it's not like our economy is that bad anyway.... *cough* Yes that is sarcasm, internet isn't good at sarcasm.

Not to mention - Yay, censorship. Again. TV gets censored all the time, the internet is where I go to see the actual opinions without having someone block things out. People bandy the words "human rights" and "freedom of speech" around all the time, yet this is clearly against both concepts.

Overall it just doesn't seem necessary... Yes, people are downloading things, but people here are still going to cinemas, still buying DVDs, and CDs, and going to music tours... Those industries aren't DEAD, I mean you hear people waffling on about "This film grossed *insert large number here*"... I hardly think these people are suffering poverty out there.

I mean, like with youtube, I'd probably have to take one of my videos down because of the music and game in it or I could get sued/thrown in jail - And it's just one harmless video..
Also, with forums... Ones where you just pick an avatar, rather than ones like this... Surely they'd have to patrol all the users too in case they were using a picture from a film, or anything copyrighted for that matter... Or some little forum will get its ass sued and go out of business instantly.
*I'm not sure on this one, but will fan art be affected too? 'cos it's their art sure, but the subject matter could be copyrighted...*

Well, that's just my opinion of course, whether people share it or not is also their opinion, which is kinda the joy of the internet. All I can ask is... If this crap (if it goes through) affects the UK as well, I just wish we could lift the UK off the planet, shake off the annoying people, then move it to Mars. We'll make it work somehow.

EDIT: I just re-read what I typed after posting it and realised yep, I was definitely ranting there xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Lilykin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote        
Oops, just noticed you already posted something on this Chu. Haha you can lock/delete mine then. Yours is much more thought out and concise. Wink

*edit* Nevermind deleted my own post. Didn't know I could do that. XD

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote        
I saw this in my tumblr feed yesterday.. I don't think it's a big deal really, but certain "groups" seem to be having a hayday with it; Trying to scare the sheep and convince them that the big bad government is gonna get 'em. I highly doubt this bill will pass, just like the countless others that have come and gone before it. It will probably fade into obscurity, but if by some off chance something does come of it I'd be really surprised. Especially with the uproar it's caused. (the petition had little over 1,000 signs when I first saw it, and now a day later it has over 75,000)

It's going to be fun watching how this pans out. *grabs popcorn*

Sorry if this came off a little harsh, but let's just say I put it nicely...

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Pikmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote        
I doubt it too, the disadvantages far outweigh any advantages...
I just felt like having a rant today. I'd say I'd gotten out of the wrong side of the bed, but the other side of the bed faces the wall... Maybe I should've just stayed in bed lol, one of those days.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote        
Haha, Kupsy, don't leave the people with common sense from other countries behind! XD

I agree with you on most everything. Really nothing left to add. *terrible with this subject*

You're fine Kupsy - rant to your heart's content. (Come to think of it... is it "TILL your heart's content"?)

Cat, I was thinking the exact same thing. When it comes down to the subject of censorship - ESPECIALLY by corporations - then of course I'm adamantly against it. But... this? I dunno. It struck me as more fear-mongering, which is why I really didn't voice an opinion on it.

Pikmin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote        
I gotta admit although I am definitely on one side of the argument (I can see both sides but ehh o\) I don't like how some people go about making their argument...
SIGN THIS PETITION OR THE INTERNET WILL EAT YOUR BABIES.

Well, maybe they didn't say that....

... Shh.
My heart is now content~

JOLLY COOPERATION!
killerkitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote        
How come I haven't heard of this before? >_>

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote        
@Kupsy: Pretty much. xP

@killerkitty: Usually when you ask yourself that question, it's because the place that you're hearing it from is exaggerating.

After making this thread I looked into it a bit more and realized that people were over-reacting. I mean, if anyone wants to sign the petitions or send the letters, feel free, but also recognize that EVERYTHING on the internet is made out to be more dramatic than it actually is, especially if the subject actually pertains to the internet, or censorship of it.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote        
I honestly couldn't stand to read the whole bill when I first read it. But This was mentioned to me again, and I was linked to a video that sort of broke down the bill. Obviously the guy is against the bill, but I can't blame him, and he does a good job of presenting his point. This is the link if you'd like to see it.

Knowing that that video is where I get the majority of my understand of this, I definitely do not like the idea of this bill. This bill doesn't help our country at all or in anyway. it simply aids the entertainment business to give million and billionaires more money by having a bill that's open enough to easily be abused. I'm pretty damn sure that our country is against censorship.

::Shop::
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote        
For those who have been paying attention, you'll know that this has definitely been an interesting week for SOPA/PIPA...
To be honest I'm surprised at how far it got, but even more surprised by the sheer size of the backlash. Looks like it's being postponed for an indefinite amount of time, which is good, but I wonder just how long it'll last? There's still ACTA (EU's version of SOPA/PIPA basically) to worry about as well.

Here are some handy links regarding SOPA/PIPA and now ACTA
http://catghost.tumblr.com/post/16148775361/thelogicalsong-this-is-the-best-best
http://catghost.tumblr.com/post/16206392696/keylaleigh-fuckyeahnightmares-3imz
http://liveflexibly.tumblr.com/post/16198635375/i-know-that-everyone-wants-to-be-witty-and-make-an

Please reblog/share these with everyone you know! Smile

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote        
It's pretty interesting, indeed. I hate to play the devil's advocate but I really can see both sides of the issue. SOPA/PIPA itself isn't the solution to the problem (piracy) but I think that within the next 20 years - tops - we'll see some other bills being passed to control it.

The backlash, though, I like. I enjoy seeing people stand up to the government and corporations. Helps affirm my belief that we have some power in this country, at least.

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote        
Definitely - I read this the other day and I think it sums everything up perfectly.

Quote:
Gabe Newell, the head of Valve, which I believe is one of the greatest video game companies in existence today, had this to say about the problems of pirating:

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates… . If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate’s service is more valuable.”

Why do these large corporations seek shelter from the government when they have no on else to blame but themselves if piracy is a problem to them? These music and movie industries are in trouble because they’ve put themselves there. These people who think they can overcharge for movies and music, then get completely defensive and offended when others offer their services at a better rate and quality than they can provide.

Do they really think that they can stop pirates? I don’t believe even they’re stupid enough to believe so. The internet has millions of ways to share files outside Megaupload. All the government has done is mildly inconvenient pirates and captured seven people, in comparison to the millions of providers and the billions of downloaders that are out there. They did it for show, I believe, wanted to flex their big government muscles and act like they’re in power of the situation. They essentially cut off the head of a Hydra in an attempt to scare away the Hydra later.

I believe the motto of capitalism and especially the United States is: ‘Competition is the life-blood of the economy’, right? Well, Hollywood, you’ve met your largest competitor. It’s up to you now, do you adapt or do you die?

Lately it's becoming harder and and harder to believe we have any sort of say in the government. They've ignored the individual in in lieu of big corporations, but this backlash just shows how powerless they are in contrast to the will of the people. I think this is something that has needed to happen for a while, and should happen more often.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote        
I do agree with that. Very well put, I have to say.