Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Pikmin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote        
Alright...

Basically, there's a game out now called Dark Souls, the "sequel" to Demon's Souls (though not related story-wise), and it was something I was looking forward to for aaaaages because I loved Demon's Souls, to the point where I completed it twice.

If there's one thing Demon's Souls is known for, it's that it's tough. But it was still really enjoyable, one of my favourite games of all time... Which is a small category.

So Dark Souls just goes and well, ruins it all frankly.

As Demon's Souls was so well known for being tough, Dark Souls tried to follow the same path... And it managed it, a little too well. But not in a good way. See, in my opinion there's a line between hard/entertaining, and hard/annoying... Demon's Souls was always entertaining for me, but Dark Souls crossed the line.

✘ The controls are far worse. It used to be relatively simple to switch between targets, but now you need to "double-tap" the stick, which most of the time is the timeline between life and LOLUDEAD. Not to mention a lot of the time it doesn't work, and I can imagine if I did it any more ferociously I'd break the controller in a week.

✘ I liked the "hub" area on Demon's Souls (called the Nexus), where most of the NPCs would congregate and you were safe, unless you were stupid enough to walk off the side of high stairs. Dark Souls just has "campfires" which are few and far between.

✘ The level up system is annoying. You need souls to level up, and on Demon's Souls you could see how many you needed in order to boost a stat. This one doesn't... You only know when it lets you tick a stat, which you can only do when you already have enough. Which means ultimately you're going to not get a level up for ages because you go out with all your souls, die, and lose them. I suppose this will be resolved when someone inevitably posts a guide online.

✘ There's barely any sense of what you're actually meant to be doing. Demon's Souls wasn't exactly known for its story either but at least with the levels being split into parts and basically being told to "BEAT UP BIG GUYS AND TAKE THEIR SOULS", it's much easier to figure out. Dark Souls, you get told you're "Hollowed" (basically a zombie), and you need to save the world 'cos some dragons were bad... And that's it. I know it's meant to be a bit more open than Demon's Souls but come on, give us something...

✘ It's just not as fun for me. Whenever I beat a boss on Demon's Souls I'd be like "YEAH! In your FACE, giant floating stingray thing, I. AM. YOUR. GOD!", then you get given their soul which can give you a sweet spell or weapon, depending on which soul it is, and you can return to the Nexus with your reward and use it for some levels up, or other things. When I've beaten bosses on Dark Souls my only reaction has been ".. F***, now I need to continue..." .. Which kinda begs the question, why bother?

All in all, so far, not impressed. And this leads on to another point of this post:
Idiots on the internet/fanboys/girls/plebs.

Because everyone is hailing this game as "The best game of the year" and singing it's every praise, anyone who says anything negative about it is instantly shot down and torn to pieces... Most of the time with smirky little teens going "u jus no gud enuf lol noob" ...

Personally I know I am. I'm not the best in the world but I have completed tough games... But for me, it has to be worth it. And so far this one just isn't... But these idiotic trolls just don't take that as an answer because lets face it, they want any opportunity to be a *censording censored*

.... This is why I don't go on any other forums any more. They all seem to somehow attract trolls, to the point where you can't even post without their foul stench slowly seeping its way around your thread and clouding everyone's senses. I miss the day that someone could have an opinion without getting burned at the stake.

Guess at the very least it makes me appreciate the decent (if quiet) community we have here... Because, no offence Midorea, but if this place ever gets the whiff of trolls, I'm packing my bags and moving to the moon.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote        
If trolls ever come here, I'm putting my guns together and opening fire on their hairy asses, and I won't let up until they go back to their bridges, and I doubt I'd be the only one.

But as for the main point, a lot of gamemakers deserve a lesson in when NOT to make a sequel. Game makers, filmmakers, authors...the list sort of goes on. After something makes boatloads of cash, they want to make it bigger and better to make even more money. I mean...look at the Matrix. Or the Terminators. The second one was good, but the third was...not. They only real time that sequels end up good is if the series is actually one story that's been split into smaller parts.

Admittedly, I'm pulling from my knowledge of books and movies instead of games, so I could be completely wrong.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote        
KUPSY MUST BURN. SHE NO LEIK GAEMM.

If trolls come here I would just ignore them. They're not worth my time. I'll rant about them to someone over PM maybe, but if you ignore their pathetic arses they got nothing to go on.

Every though I dont really play video games because I'm not very good with them, that really sounds.. just obnoxious. I hate when a movie,game, or sequel to ANYTHING really is automatically considered good by most fans unless it just completely bombed.

::Shop::
Pikmin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote        
The people who go on about it being good generally go on about the graphics and the fact it's hard...
And to be fair, the graphics are good, not the best, but suited to the game...
And it is hard, just in a stupid way.

Like.... If you played a Final Fantasy game, start at level 1, and the game automatically expects you to beat a level 100 boss that shoots lasers from its eyes and farts poison.
Or if there's an action film and the first thing that happens is the hero getting shot in the face and dying.

Tough yes... But very, very pointless.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Maeve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote        
If trolls ever find their way into Midorea, I'll take care of them *pets modzooka* Twisted Evil

Ugh, games sequels... Lips are Zipped
Graphics are important, yes, and maybe I wouldn't buy a game if it looked like crap. But seriously, if I only cared about nice pictures, I'd buy some movies instead, or some books on photography, or something like that. Good graphics alone certainly don't make a game.
Hardness, well, I dunno, I think it's kind of a personal thing. I like games that challenge me, but still give me something to keep my interest. Some people might just appreciate playing some stupidly tough game, even if it's pointless. You know, weird people... Jab

Pikmin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote        
I'm generally the sort of person that can play games as old as Amiga A600 and NES as long as they're fun, so I'm the same about graphics as you really~
(kinda why I've gone off Final Fantasy lately, seem to just care about the graphics...)

I do like a challenge in a game, as I said, it just has to make sense... Like trying to punch my way through polystyrene rather than headbutt through a reinforced concrete wall.

Having said that, I have still been playing it, and gotten much further... Still not enjoying it as much as the first but I'm too stubborn for my own good.. I paid for the game and DAMN IT I'M GONNA FINISH IT. Mad

JOLLY COOPERATION!