Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Malfise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote        
So, I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I really, REALLY wish I could draw, but I can't really. I mean, I can do some doodles and people can tell what things are, but there's nothing art-shop worthy in my arsenal. And this is depressing because i would love to do a breedable shop or just a regular art shop. SOMETHING.

But I kinda suck.

So... I was wondering if those of who with artsy skills could give me some tips? Like, what pencils/paper do you use, what digital programs do you use, how do you transfer things...?

Just anything that might help me out... IDK /sigh.

Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote        
You're in a really bad spot.

You didn't start drawing seriously when you were younger, so you don't have years of practice behind you, but you really want to draw now. This means you'll be practicing rather rudimentary basics while you see others your age or younger than you with a lot more advanced art techniques.

Essentially what I'm getting at is you are going to face a lot of frustration. So really the only advice I can give you is practice practice practice and don't ever just give up. Even if you can't seem to draw something right, keep drawing it. It may take a hundred failures to reach success, but the success is worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote        
MMMMMMRRRMMMM > <

yeah, I've heard about kids being able to comprehend drawing better, and that it gets harder as you get older. -sigh- Too bad I can't enroll my past self in an art program XD

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep going at it. No matter how many pages I ruin XP

Kylana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote        
For now, don't focus on what you're drawing with, and don't even think about color yet (not that you likely are, but baby steps).

I didn't really start drawing stuff until high school, and just now get serious about it until recently, so don't be discouraged. You have the will to learn, and that's the important part.

Break things down into shapes. Focus on what you're seeing, not what you THINK you're seeing. And draw as much as you can from life rather than just photos... your brain gets tricked when stuff's already made 3D for it and things can look really skewed.

What would you like to learn first? I'd suggested getting a cheapie sketchbook (or fill a binder with cheap copy paper) and carry it around with you. I take mine everywhere, to be honest. Fill it up! Don't focus so much on what things look like at first. Get comfortable with just doodling, because you don't want to end up like me and being too scared to draw sometimes :P

Seriously, though, just start drawing everything you see. We all had to start with basically, whether it's for anatomy or perspective or whatever. And if you're drawing on paper, you can always hold it up to a mirror to check how it really looks... it tricks your brain into really looking at it.

I apologize for this being so random, but I hope at least some part of it's helpful?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote        
Oh, no, it's not random at all, and I really appreciate it. One of my issues with learning new things is not knowing how to start and becoming overwhelmed.

What kind of pencils do you suggest? Do you have a preference? Just something basic and easy for doing lines...

Kylana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote        
Haha, good... I'm glad to help.

I do own some nice drawing pencils, which I would use if I were actually doing a "real" pencil piece, but to be honest I normally just use cheapie mechanical pencils that I bought at the grocery store. Those and cheap pink rubber erasers and you're good to go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote        
Kylana wrote:
Haha, good... I'm glad to help.

I do own some nice drawing pencils, which I would use if I were actually doing a "real" pencil piece, but to be honest I normally just use cheapie mechanical pencils that I bought at the grocery store. Those and cheap pink rubber erasers and you're good to go.

^^^

I actually even use grid or lined paper so its easier to see mistakes in anatomy and such (I still always draw one arm longer than the other).

But don't worry about fancy pencils and all of that crap. You don't need it. I know amazing artists who still just use no. 2 pencils. But, like Kylana, I prefer mechanical pencils because you don't have to sharpen them constantly.

Seriously. It doesn't matter what you draw or what you draw with, as long as you start drawing. If you're particularly interested in humans, draw humans. If you want to draw animals, draw animals.

Also check out deviantart for tutorials. I'll give you some human tutorials (since these are the ones I find, I don't really look for animal tutorials. plus there are so many animals, each one has a different tut. so it'd just be silly to list all of them).

A wonderful tutorial kind of going off of what Ky said, how you have to teach yourself to see what is there. Also check out this girl's gallery for pretty much the best human reference stock on dA.

Go to the author's comments to see other parts to this (really helpful) tutorial.

THE best tutorial on clothing.

And that's where I would say to start off. Don't worry if its really overwhelming, no one expects you to get everything perfect the first time. Or times. Practice drawing naked people first so you don't have to worry about clothing (by naked I mean just their figures, don't worry about "details" orz ).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote        
Thank you! I'll check 'em out!

And, yeah, I don't think I'll cover my sketchpad in detailed nudes. Bad things might happen > >

Kylana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote        
How's the drawing coming along? Bouncy Heart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote        
Uhm, pretty okay. Thanks for asking. I went to the local art store and got a sketchbook and some pencils, had a lovely talk with the owner about the injustice of not being able to take an art class, ran into one of my arty friends there...

The other night I drew a decent picture of my USB cord....excitement.

XD

Kylana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote        
Hey, that's great! Drawing from life is the best thing you can do, even if it's something that seems dull.