Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Lounge
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote        
Welcome to Sanctuary!

Sanctuary is a place where you can talk about anything and anyone at anytime.

Every day, there is a new topic to talk about. If it doesn't change everyday, it at least changes every week. If the conversation is going well enough, maybe the topic can go on for a month!

But usually, there is a different thing to talk about each day! It's fun, exciting, and like a whole different group of people the next day.

There are very few rules in Sanctuary, but it would be great if you could follow them.

1.) Stay on topic. Please try not to go off task unless you, perhaps, have a witty joke, riddle, or anecdote relating to the topic.
2.) No fighting. Intellectual debates are allowed, but no fighting over a certain topic. (I.E. No Twilight vs. Harry Potter, sports team vs. sports team, etc.)
3.) Lastly, be respectful. In regards to the above rule, if someone has an opinion different then yours, respect that. If someone doesn't want to talk about something, don't push. Be nice!

Oh, and I almost forgot! Have fun.

August 8th, 2011's Topic:

Faeries and Other Fantasy Beings of the Sort
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote        
Mind if I kick off the conversation? Weeeee

I'm always interested in people's different opinions on "original" fantasy lore. There are those people who will die fighting that any fantasy creatures you create can't be considered in the fantasy category with Greek/Roman centaurs, European and Asian dragons, etc. As one person pointed out to me, it doesn't matter if it's a make-believe animal, fantasy creatures had to once be thought of as real. So your bat/wolf/dragon furry OC isn't a fantasy creature, because it never was and never will be imagined as a real thing that walks on this earth.

On the other hand (and this is my personal opinion), fantasy means anything and everything that may or may not exist on a separate dimension or plane, but definitely does not exist in this one. The word "fantasy" comes from the Greek word "phantasía" which means "an idea, notion, image; literally, a making visible". So it means taking an idea or image in your 'fantasy' and making it visible for others to see.

So what does everyone else think?

Also, "mythical" isn't the right word to use. Fairies aren't mythical, because myths are really religions that have died out. Zeus is mythical, Cerberus is mythical, etc. Fairies... are fantasy and legends.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote        
I'm quite impressed! I wouldn't have thought that this topic would inspire such a well-thought out response but I'm very happy it did.

I personally agree with your statement. Fantasy, to me, means something that is within your mind. It is out of this world and doesn't seem realistic, in at least one way. So the bat/wolf/dragon OC surely is a fantasy creature. And to be honest, who is to say that a bat/wolf/dragon creature couldn't walk the world someday. With how advanced science and technology is getting, surely someday we'll be able to merge the DNAs of one or more species.

But staying on topic, I agree wholeheartedly with your statement. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Any other ideas?

(Also, thank you for that. I'll change it. Smile)
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote        
August 9th, 2011's Topic:

Thunderstorms
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote        
August 12th, 2011's Topic:

Horror Movies (In particular, Quarantine)
neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote        
I like horror movies, but I get paranoid afterwards, and I rarely get to watch them anyways, because my mom and brother hates them.

ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote        
I'd like to consider myself a semi-expert on horror movies. I watch them all the time.
miara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote        
I can't do horror movies. ;-;
For some reason I get nightmares REAL easy and.. Yeah, those are never good. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go watch them if you ask force me to.
I vaguely remember seeing commercials for Quarentine but I can't remember exactly what it's about...
Dom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote        
Hmm...I used to watch a fair deal more horror movies than I do now. I mean, I still watch them but I have to be in the right kind of mood for them. I honestly find most horror movies to be a bit to formulatic for my tastes...although sometimes the gore factor makes up for that, when I'm in the right kind of mood. xD; I do love horror that can actually scare me though, and not just something created for the shock value, if that makes any sense....

As for Quarentine: as I recall I thought it was ok; nothing too spectacular, just your basic ZOMG-ZOMBIES-EVERYONE-DIES-THE-END kind of flick...but I was entertained for a while with it. Sweat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote        
Quarantine is probably a favorite of mine when it comes to horror movies (current horror movies, that is.) It's one of the few horror movies that actually make me scared. There are few where I have to cover my eyes, and this is one of them. There are moments where it just feels so tense that you just have to hide!

Paranormal Activity was rumored to be "one of the scariest horror films out there" but I found it to be somewhat dull. If anything, parts of it seemed like a combination of drama and comedy. I saw nothing very spectacular about it.

Here's a movie that got my heart thumping and it's not even a horror movie. Escape from Sobibor. It's a true story abotu the Holocaust and for some reason, when I watched it, it had me almost screaming. Maybe because the Holocaust is just a really terrible and horrifying thing to begin with. And the tension near the end...I felt like I was going to have a heart attack because my heart was beating so fast.

And of course, I love anything with gore. Strangely, however, if it involves needles? I'm not doing it. I had a hard time getting through Saw...what was it, 3? When the guy throws the girl into the pit filled with syringes? (Not to mention, a lot of those syringes were probably riddled with AIDs?) Yeah. Not doing.
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote        
August 14th, 2011's Topic:

LARPing (Live Action Role Play)
miara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote        
There are no LARPing places(groups?) around me. =(
The closest thing I've got is Ren Fest. <3 WHICH, by the way, starts next weekend. ^^ I'm so excited I might just explode. I get to buy a new article of clothing this year. I'm stuck between a new boddice or an underbust corset... Hmm..
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote        
Underbust corset, totally.

There's a LARPing community in my area that I joined due to my friend Lexy. (Thanks, lexi luthor. Speaking of which, watching Superman Returns.) We're having a game today even though it is POURING RAIN. I still can't wait. I love rain.
miara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote        
That. Sounds. So. AWESOME!
>w<

I'm thinking the corset too but... What if my organs get moved around? And then there's the question of 'color schemes' and blah blah.
The boddice that I have right now is a really pale green and my skirts are tan/dark brown, as are my boots.
But do I want to be all brown? Or do I want to have an explosion of color under my boobs?
XD
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote        
Doesn't it? ^_^

Just don't lace it too tight. As for color...maybe see if you can get a darker shade of green, just for a bit of...not contrasting color, but a bit of a gradient, I guess. Pale green bodice, darker green corset, tan/dark brown skirts and boots. I haven't seen it, but I'd say that looks pretty nice.