Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Theater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote        
Mal gave the girl a smile as he accepted the purse, and shouldered the door.to.the tavern open.

"Only reason I caught you was because I used to pick pockets myself," he explained, "You're very talented, though. Far more talented than I was. Although, my hands are more suited to locks than pockets. Please, take a seat." Mal gestured to one of the booths, and slid in. He signaled the owner of the tavern, asking for a hot dinner.

"So, my friend," the orange-headed boy said genially, " what brings you to our fine city? You're new here, yeah? I don't recognize your face, and I know just about everyone. Oh, and do you have a name, or will I be forced to think of you as 'Lightfingers' for the rest of time?"

Cora

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 am Reply with quote        
"I used to do locks, not my strong point let me tell you, as well as grifting, but these days I stick mostly to pockets and food stalls." She let out a hallow laugh, "I once convinced a King that I was a duchess, but these days..." she took a seat opposite the orange haired boy. Perhaps it was the fact that he used to be a thief, or the fact that he had caught her, or may chance it was simply his kind nature, but she found herself opening up far more then usual, "These days I mostly stick to what I need for basic survival. The game just isn't as fun as it used to be"

She watched as he signaled the owner for a hot dinner and smiled. But then she listened to his questions, and thought about the answers carefully, "The festival" she said finally, gesturing towards the window where the lotus blooms could be seen, "I'm a drifter, and a mercenary, believe it or not. I use my skills for hire if I need to. I'm not always dishonest" She gave another wolf like grin, "ok, so I am most dishonest, but I'm not a bad person. Most people would call me Dedalia Menastron, but my real name is Kitalia or Kitty for short. You deserve the truth for your win" She let out a hearty laugh, "I do quite like your city, the people are so happy and bustling, maybe I'll stay awhile, or maybe not.....whichever feels right in the moment." She shrugged her shoulders for a moment.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote        
Mal listened with interest, especially when the girl said she was a grifter. It was always interesting to meet someone that versatile.

"Kings can be quite short-sighted," he commented, "although their courts are quite prying. Now I haven't swindled any kings, but I do know most of the officials in this city. Admittedly, they might not know me, but that's a different matter." Mal smiled, a little too wide to be comforting. Anyone who knew him, when they saw his shark smile, knew that it meant someone's day was about to suddenly get very bad. But the smile wasn't directed at Mal's new friend, so that's a good thing.

When the girl introduced herself, Mal wrote the names down in his notebook. Just for reference, and maybe some looking into. But not now. Later. For now, there was dinner. The tavern owner brought over a steaming plate and plonked it down in front of Kitty.

"Thanks," Mal said, "How's business going?"

"Booming," The large man said, shooting Mal a sly grin, "Everyone loves those 'crab' fritters." The tavern owner made airquotes around the word crab.

"Good to hear. Good luck with everything." Mal received a powerful pat on the head from the tavern owner's massive hands.

"....ow. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you like my city. She's very interesting when you get to know her. Oh, my name's Mal, by the way." Mal offered Kitty a handshake.

Cora

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote        
"Short-sighted, thats one word for it" she let out a deep, yet hallow laugh as if holding on to some deep rooted secret, "The don't often know whats right in front of them, no" she said, but then paused briefly, the deeds of her past flashing through her mind while a dark smile flashed her lips, "Its his court that you need to worry about"

"I admittingly know nothing about the officials in this particular city, though I intend to eventually. Just for nothing better to do at the moment. I find this city of yours interesting." She saw the smile, as well as the look in his eyes but at the moment chose not to comment. She trusted him a little bit but not enough to show her entire hand.

As he wrote down the names she laughed, a deep hearty laugh, "You'll never find the name Kitty anywhere, nor kitalia and Dedalia is a respectable citizen. However, if you look up the Crystal Anatalian case. You may have heard my name mentioned. She paused for a moment, but the shrugged a moment. With only a moments hesitation she reached up to lift her eyepatch from over her eye. Underneath was a beautiful blue crystal eye. But then put it away with a laugh.

When the food was brought before her she took the time to examine the contents and smell the food while the flaming haired boy talked to the tavern owner. After a few moments she deemed that the food was edible and took a large bite. That may not be real meat, but it was at least warm food.

When Mal introduced himself she found herself taking his hand but looking him over in a different light, "Mal...Mal....why does that sound familiar to me" she said more to herself then anything else, "Not....no you can't be...?" she broke into wide smile, "Well no wonder you caught me....I've heard whispers of your name....Malverne."
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote        
"I'm not writing you down for research," Mal said, "I just keep a record of interesting people that I run into, or people who owe me favors. However, I think I will look into that case." He flashed Kitty a grin. "Sounds promising. I always love hearing about adventures."

Mal leaned back as he watched the girl eat, apparently quite hungry. He had been worried that the food wouldn't be to her liking, but apparently, Kitty was just fine with whatever meat the tavern owner had given her. The meat was tasty, but it had a strange texture. And the texture seemed to change every time Mal ate there. He'd given up on guessing exactly what he was eating long ago.

"Hmm, now there's a name I haven't given anyone in quite a while," Mal said, his eyes glittering at his full name. "You'd have to go for leagues in any direction to find anyone who's ever heard it before. Around here, I go by a handful of different aliases, Malverne not being among them. I'd be interested to know who gave it to you."

Cora

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote        
She continued to eat is a state of semi silence, barely wondering what it was she was eating, or perhaps it was merely the fact that she simply did not want to know. After she managed to eat her way through the entire plate she whipped her mouth on the back of her hand and pushed the plate away. It was only then that she looked up at the orange haired boy to contemplate her answers.

"so its true then, it was only a lucky guess" she said after a moment, "You know I can't blow in my sources. I will never tell you who told me that information. However, for your kindness here I will tell you three bits of information that may help you understand where it may have come from. First thing you need to know is that I have been much further then most people in this world. So no matter how far, I've probably been there. The second, as a grifter your business is secrets. And the third, no matter how far you run, your name will never truly be gone. I still find myself running into rumors of alias that I thought I had long outrun"

((I can change my previous post, and this one too, if that was a problem. I was just trying to add interest))
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote        
((Nah, it's cool, no worries. I just...have to think of some noteworthy stuff that he/I've done.))

"Trust me," Mal said, "I understand how big the world is, having traveled it myself. And I understand the value of information. I ask mostly out of curiosity. I didn't leave many friends after the explosion. Not many knew what actually happened, so the tales left over could have been magnified, depending on who told them." Mal gave one of his shark-smiles. "Like I said, I love hearing about adventures." The boy leaned back in the booth, his arms crossed, and his eyes glittering in the light. It certainly felt freeing to meet someone who'd recognized him. While the persona of Mal was very close to home, Malverne was a little darker. More dangerous. Mal wondered if Kitty knew what had happened just before the hotel exploded, three years before. He wondered whether she thought he'd set the bomb, or was trying to stop it. Depending on who told the story, Kitty's version of events could sway either direction.

"As 'not-gone' as my old names may be," Malverne said, "I still like to keep the rumors quashed. Like you, I quickly came to like this city. It'd be a pity if I had to leave it because the wrong name wound up on the wrong person's desk."

Cora

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote        
She looked at him for a moment, studying him as if determining now that she saw him, met the man behind the story, if the rumors where true. She cocked her head to the side as if taking in the whole appearance of him. The flaming flower in his hair, matched with his orange hair seemed to give the impression that his entire head was on fire. Yes he was part of the explosion, but which part?

If anyone had asked her the story of Malverne, she truthfully couldn't tell all of the details, something that perturbed her as it was. She had talked to three separate sources different tales of the great Malverne and the Abornox Hotel explosion, and none of them told the same tale. She didn't like not knowing. However, she'd been in the business a long time, she knew that he would never volunteer that information, so she didn't ask.

She laughed when he told her that he'd rather keep his past quiet, and that his new alias Mal, was what he would like to remain, "They say there is no honor among thieves, but I would never turn in a fellow thief without good reason. As you will remain Mal, I shall like to remain Dedalia, the traveling Mercenary."
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote        
"Glad to hear you understand," Malverne said, slipping back into the lighthearted Mal, "Ain't been a revolutionary in ages. It's way too stressful, y'know? Anyhoo, how's the food? You seem to have polished that off quite nicely." Mal nodded at the plate, now completely spotless, sitting in front of Kitty. He grinned, then slid out of the booth.

"Festival's going nicely," he said, jabbing a thumb toward the door, "At night, they put up the flaming lotuses along the river, an' it looks like everything glows. You wanna check it out? I mean, if you're gonna stay in town, you should check everything out, but the festival's kinda awesome. Also, it's kinda smelly in here." Mal shrugged apologetically to the tavern owner, who'd shot the boy a glare at the smelly comment.

"But yeah," Mal said, not really knowing how to finish his last sentence or start his next sentimentality, "My city...she's an amazing city, and traveling mercenary or not, you should check her out before you head on. Or do whatever it is you do next."

Cora

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote        
"Just as I haven't been a true grifter in ages." she said as he mentioned the food. She looked down at the plate that she indeed had wiped clean. As far as taste, she had both tasted things much much worse, and also one thousand times better. She playfully wrinkled her nose at the plate, "Are you kidding" she said with a small laugh, "that was one of the worst things I've ever eaten, but at least it was edible. I've eaten worse things. That's for sure"

At the offer to get out of the tavern and enjoy the festival she jumped at the chance because like Mal had said the tavern had a funny smell that she was worried would rub off on her if she stayed to long. As such she headed in the direction of the door. Smiling apologetically to the tavern owner to walked purposely out the door and took a deep breath of fresh air. There was something about this city that she couldn't blame Mal for loving. Especially with the lotus feathers floating about. It really was beautiful.

She stooped down to pick up a lotus flower that had fallen near her feet. She held the blossom to her nose to take in the scent. Before her encounters with Mal she had watched countless people pick them up and keep them. As beautiful as they where she couldn't piece together the purpose of them. She turned to Mal, "What is so important about them?"
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote        
"The Lotus Festival is all about the dragons," Mal explained, "them coming together with the humans or something like that. Don' ask me about the exact symbolism, 'cause I don't know, but it's definitely something to do with the dragons." Mal plucked the flaming lotus from his hair, and offered it to Kitty.

"As for the petals themselves," he said, "You can use 'em to get raw elements from a stand on the north bank of the river. Then you give the elements to the head dragon people, and they give you one of these. Fire, air, earth and water, respectively. The petals...I guess they're like currency?" The boy shrugged and continued walking. He caught a few petals as they drifted down, and blew them off his palm into the river.

"If you grab enough, you could get a keepsake, or you could just wander outside the city gates at night and wait for a beastie to jump ya. Apparently you can find the raws on 'em. Personally, I prefer collecting petals to fighting gargoyles, so I stay in here. But, traveling mercenary like yourself shouldn't find 'em too challenging. I hope. Otherwise you'd be a pretty poor mercenary." Mal shot Kitty a grin and winked.

Cora

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote        
She took the flaming flowers in her hand and looked at it curiously. The flames, despite their warmth did not harm her hand underneath them. Something that took her slightly off guard, but in a good way. "I had assumed you where a fire user by this flower, but I'm a wind user and this flower feels like a warm gentle breeze. How....no never mind how is not important." She smiled and shook her head, handing him back his flower, "Dragons you say, I've only met a few dragons in my travels. Interesting creatures to say the very least."

She walked for a few moments in silence, but she did stop a few times to pick up a lotus flower or a few petals, each time placing them in a small pouch by her side. She couldn't pass up the chance for such an intriguing item. After a few moments she noticed the lotus flowers glowing along the river and her face lit up, none of the blossoms of the far off lands had the beauty of that river. "Its beautiful, truly breathtaking. Its no wonder your travels stopped here. It'll be hard to leave that behind"

She heard a small sobbing near where the two of them stood and she looked around. A group of children had been playing around in the grass, but one small child, human by the look of her, had fallen and scraped her knee. Kitty watched as the others ran off to leave her behind, even calling to the girl, the smallest of the group, to hurry up. The girl scrambled to her feet but fell once more.

Kitty walked over to the girl, and knelt next to her. "Where does it hurt, darlin"

"M...M...My....knee" the girl managed out amongst sobs.

Kitty took the time to wrap her knee and talked to her all the while, after a few moments. She pulled a lotus flower from her pouch and handed it to the small child, "There you go little one, go catch up with your friends"

She turned back to Mal, "sorry about that, I didn't mean to keep you waiting"
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote        
Mal took the flower back and tucked it behind his goggles.

"Dragon magic," he said, by way of explanation, "Interesting ain't the word for it. Weird, insane, crazy, amazing all seem to fit better. But they're cool. Look around enough, you could probably find one. If you think we've traveled far...you should hear their travel stories." Mal barked a laugh, and hopped up onto the small stone wall that stood next to the path, and started walking along it, his hands in his pockets. He had seen the river plenty of times, and while it's beauty wasn't taken for granted, he wasn't as awestruck by the sight.

The sound of crying hit Mal's ears, but he didn't think much of it until Kitty jogged over to help a fallen little girl. He was about to follow when someone grabbed his arm.

Malverne turned, ready to hurt whoever was grabbing him, before he recognized the person. A friend from the university.

"Tray," the other boy whispered excitedly, with a hint of panic, "did you hear?"

"Hear what?" Mal asked, effortlessly slipping into the role of a shy student, "D-did something happen?"

"Dragons!" the student exclaimed. Mal suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. "Different ones! Not fire or earth or those ones, but others, I think. They confronted the leaders of the four tribes! It almost turned into a fight! Oh, you should have been there..." Mal took the other boy's elbow, his eyebrows creasing in concern.

"Dragons, fighting?" he asked, "Here?" The other boy nodded excitedly.

"Hey, Tray, I gotta run, but ask around. People'll tell you what happened. Ohh, it was so cool!" The boy took off running just as Kitty came back from her first-aid mission. Mal barely heard what she said to him.

"Hmm? Oh, no, you didn't," he said, "I um...something weird's happened. And I should probably figure out what's exactly going on. Although how I'll do that I'm not entirely sure yet..."

Cora

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote        
"Something weird?" she said with a rather far off thoughtful expression. What could he have meant by that? Whatever it was, it didn't sound like it could possibly be anything good. She placed her fingers on her chin, in a thoughtful manner. After a few moments she said, "Alright, first off, what exactly do you know about what happened? Knowledge is my game, maybe I can help, in the very least maybe I can wrangle some information. I may only be here a total of oh...." she looked up at the sky wagering the angle of the sun, "perhaps three hours, but there is something magical about this place. I would hate to see it fall."
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote        
"Dragons almost got into a fight," Mal said, already walking the direction that his friend had come from, "Apparently. I don't know enough yet." His gray eyes darting around, Mal scanned the crowd for more of his 'friends,' preferably more reliable ones that the one who'd told him in the first place.

"I don't even know if it's true yet," he told Kitty, diving through the crowd and squeezing into a side alley, "or if it's actually dangerous. Or if they were really dragons. Which is why, before I even think about my city falling, I need to find someone actually useful who was there." Mal took a corner and broke out into a square, the central hub of the festival. People were still milling about, looking very confused. Mal groaned. He had a feeling no one knew much about what had apparently happened.

"Hey, kid," Mal hissed at a nearby child, "C'mere. What happened, do you remember?" The kid trotted over, sucking on a piece of candy.

"Dragons, mom said," the boy replied. "It was kinda scary."

"Did you hear what they said to each other?" Mal asked, insistent. The boy nodded, and related the general gist of the conversation to Mal and Kitty.

"Well. That doesn't sound too good. Do you know where they went?" The kid shrugged, then ran off. Mal pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a deep, deep sigh.