Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote        
Kupsy wrote:
*runs away with tutorial*
Frustrating thing is, I knew at least some of this stuff but I just never used it right.
Still, will keep practicing it, one of these days I'll draw something properly x.o

That's seriously the hardest part of drawing. It's one the reasons I continually get frustrated and just stop for several months. Because you can SEE things so clearly in your head, but for some reason as soon as you put pen to paper (or pen to tablet x'D ) it all just seems to vanish.

It's sad, truly, but I believe good artists who don't need pose references or anything aren't actually talented artists, they just have memorized it all. That's what you have to do, memorize every pose and color and light source possibility and just... geh Duh And young people or children who are somehow insanely talented artists aren't actually talented at art, they're just better and faster at memorizing. They can look at something once and redraw it weeks later without a problem, because they have very good visual memory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote        
Kupsy wrote:
Ah, those white lines were a mistake on my part which I don't normally do, but I was in a rush.
I accidentally drew the hair outline on the wrong layer which still had a white background, and I didn't want to draw it again, so I just wanded it to a new layer xD

OH MY GOD.

I do that all the time.

Like a ridiculous amount.

Does your photoshop switch back to the previous layer it was on, if you hit ctrl + z too many times? I usually have two different layers when I start to draw, the layer for the scale and stick figurine thingy, and then the layer on top with the actual line art. So many times I've drawn an entire line art on the same layer as the scale -facepalm- So freaking annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote        
I've always said the same thing about learning an instrument tbh...
Just learn where all the notes are, the patterns for the chords, and you can sound like you know what you're doing, when even in some parts of it you don't.
Just needs lots of practice and to let mistakes just be gone instead of dwelling on the damn things.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Kylana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote        
Another quick note that'll help shading look more realistic -- try to avoid using lighter/darker shades of the same color (I personally only use white for the tiniest of intense highlights, like eyes). Shadows are usually a cool, desaturated color while brighter spots are warm and saturated. For example, skin in shadow takes on a blue-ish/purple cast while in the light it's more pinkish.

I'm trying to find a decent tutorial to show you since I'm having problems describing it, but hopefully that at least makes a little sense.

Dark Skintone Tut (which shows huge range of colors used)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote        
Dr. Tick Tock wrote:
Does your photoshop switch back to the previous layer it was on, if you hit ctrl + z too many times?.

YES D< That's the reason it happened, was so irritated... Hate how it does it.

And what you're saying does make sense Kylana, makes it more obvious as to why my pictures always look so flat I guess. Like a cardboard cut-out of a person, rather than a person.
I'm appreciating all the help /o\ I really want to get better at this stuff.. And I will. Eventually. xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote        
Kylana wrote:
Another quick note that'll help shading look more realistic -- try to avoid using lighter/darker shades of the same color (I personally only use white for the tiniest of intense highlights, like eyes). Shadows are usually a cool, desaturated color while brighter spots are warm and saturated. For example, skin in shadow takes on a blue-ish/purple cast while in the light it's more pinkish.

I'm trying to find a decent tutorial to show you since I'm having problems describing it, but hopefully that at least makes a little sense.

Dark Skintone Tut (which shows huge range of colors used)

Ahhh goddd noooo saturationnnn run away from itttt -dies-

I can't do that for shit xD Lips are Zipped I'm such a failure as an artist orz geh

But yeah, also a good thing to keep in mind and practice because, as I mentioned previously, I f*cked myself over in the shading department and this is one of the major things I sadfaec about not being better at D:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote        
You have the power, Doc. You HAVE THE POWER!!
SATURATE THE **** OUT OF YOUR DRAWINGS!!!!
... Sorry. It seems slightly burnt waffles make me hyper.

Gonna start a new drawing, will probably be a while before I post the results though, my brothers here and I don't like drawing when people sometimes linger around and stare at what I'm doing..

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Pikmin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote        
Yes I know it's a double post, but Kupsy has attempted drawing again!
Without photoshop effects
With photoshop effects

Notes: Yes I know the shoulders are small again, still not the point though lol, I want to get the face right before I start the rest.
Can't decide if I prefer it with or without the effects... Looks more defined without, but looks nice and smooth with.
I also know it looks quite scruffy, but that's just what I'm like lol.. Scruffy ftw /o\
Her hair is also quite close to her head, so I probably should've made the ear stick out.. Oh well.
At least it's an improvement on the other one...

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Kylana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote        
Looking better! I think I prefer with, since the hair has nice clumps that way (that sounds odd, ha).

Before you get too far into coloring, though, I'd recommend getting really familiar with head anatomy. Trust me, doing studies are crazy-boring but they help out immensely. Loomis' art books are old but they're still really helpful, and even better they're online for free. His women are pretty odd since they were done in the... 50's? but he explains anatomy really well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote        
Well, I kinda know I don't want the drawings to be uber realistic, they've always been cartoony and I prefer them that way. That woman does look a little dozy though xD
The eyes go a bit funny sometimes... Main bit I still need to figure out though is the lips, which no matter what I do, ends up looking awful, delete it all, black line ftw.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Kylana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote        
Well, that's the thing... it always helps to know how something really looks and then take whatever creative liberty with proportions it you'd like. That doesn't mean that your stuff needs to look realistic (mine sure doesn't!) but it honestly does help. Think of it as... a foundation of knowledge. The more your brain is trained to know where and how everything goes, the easier it is to go on auto-pilot to draw in whatever style you'd like.

As far as lips go :

Realist lip tut
More cartoony lip tut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote        
Ooo, I do like the stylised lips.. At the same time though, I like the realistic ones.. May try and mix them together somehow. e.e
And I have been trying to study faces more... Was staring at mums face earlier.. Though that was partially just to get on her nerves.
Been looking at other peoples art as well, some people here have styles I really like, and they're really anatomically correct, which is.. enviable xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Kylana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, try 'em both! You'll find a style you like the more you play around with stuff.

And haha, that's good. Drawing/viewing from life is always best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote        
Right, tried a new drawing, and I've realized why I normally draw the faces at an angle... Because noses are a pain from the front.
But I will persevere! I remember how to draw them, I think... And I know how they're supposed to look. Just a case of doing it. xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote        
Another double post, but:
Another attempt at drawing, yay!
I know the ears are a bit off, but eehh..

JOLLY COOPERATION!