Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Elrakis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote        
Athilea: That's right, and according to the math your relationship will not be valid untill you've turned 45. I'm very sorry. Smile

Lexi: Well, you will not have that gap any longer for sure untill you've turned 20. Untill then, whilst there still are these gaps which causes your relationship to become mathematically invalid, you must stay away from each other at any cost, or heads of many great thinkers will explode! :O

But in all honestly, my friends, those are not my true opinions. I reckon that the age difference have greater importance when you're below the age of 18 or so, but then again, it could differ. Some might mentally mature before that age, some after. Anyways, I frown upon none of your relationships, Lexi and Athilea. I find them totally OK! I myself am 24 and my lady is 23, so in my case there isn't much to talk about. Well, at least I complete the math, haha, but as I originally mentioned, the formula was a truce between my friend and I, and he's got aspbergers and can be VERY picky about stuff. I also believe that the difference in age has a non-linear importance, that is that the "OK" distance between ages grow larger with age, and that rapidly.
RainbowWalrus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote        
Age differences really just depend on the maturity of both the people. As you get older, you realize it's not so much about the age of someone, but it's how well you get along with the person, or how much you have in common. Since I have *sort of* entered adulthood, going to university, I have started meeting new people, and many of them are in their 20s. So a lot of my friends are a few years older than me, but it's not a problem because we have similar interests.

On the other hand, age differences can be a bit strange if it is a really old person dating a really young person. But still, if they have similar interests and opinions, and are at the same level of maturity, you can't really judge them. There have been many instances where there are couples with huge age differences where it's for all the wrong reasons, but i'm sure there are also happy couples out there with a big age gap out there somewhere.
Naro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote        
I wouldn't matter. To me age is just merely a couple of numbers.
Friendship should be fine, love is fine too. As long as it's legal.

Zillah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote        
In the end it's really about maturity and cognitive and emotional development, not age. Sure, the two are highly correlated, but if there is a large age difference between two people and their relationship is working, then who am I to judge?

Of course, we do want to protect those who are less mature from being taken advantage of by those who are more mature, and usually that means keeping impressionable children and preteens out of the hands of perverted adults. But that's not always the case. People get abused and taken advantage of in relationships all the time, regardless of age.

So while there isn't a "too young" or "too old", a big red flag does go up if you're fifteen and your partner is twenty-three. And hopefully it's because people are worried about your best interests and not just because they find your relationship inherently disgusting.
Seras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote        
Really depends on the person and what their age limit is really.
For me, anybody too old would be passed 5 years. but anyone to young is well, any body that is a day or more younger than me.
For some people the age limit can be one to two years younger and up to 6-7 years older.
Some others go to the extreme like my dad. His age limit, anyone who is in their 20's. And he is 61 going to be 62. It may be disgusting for some of you, and it's especially disgusting for me, but that's how people like him see it.
And some people could care less about age, but will look for one of three things: personality, physical looks, or wealth.
Can't be more than one thing and can't be all three.
This is a sad but very true concept. As for who you date, GET TO KNOW THE PERSON FIRST BEFORE DECIDING ON ANYTHING!!!!!:3
Cora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote        
On friendships-

Friendship ages simply do not matter. I am 26 years old and one of my best friends is 64. If your into the same sorts of things or even if you just simply like one another age does not effect friendship in the least.

On Relationships-
My personal limit is no older then 6 years or younger then two from my current age. But this does not mean that I look down my nose at those who are not of the same mind frame as me. As long as both parties are old enough to know what they want and also to be legal and both parties are consenting adults then age is irrelevant.
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote        
My personal feeling is that if the parties involved are 25+, I don't care what the gap is.

Anyone between 24-17, a gap of no more than four years would be preferred.

16-13, preferably no more than two years.

Any lower than that: no offense, but I don't think you're mature enough for a relationship. But if you simply must get into one, it should be with someone your own age.

Friendship?
Don't care about the age gap, so long as no one's being a creeper.

Touch me with your love
And reveal to me my true name

(Will assassinate someone for an Huo Draconem Svarde, Adult Dragon Wings Ice Adult Dragon Wings Fire Happy )
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote        
I'm very simple with age gaps. If you're gonna be friends, you can be any age diffference. I've had a friend who's in her mid/late-fifties now since I was a preteen (I'm 21, now, so she was about 40-something when we met?). I've also been friends with little kids at my age. It doesn't really matter. Friends are friends, as long as you're being proper and considerate~

For relationships...I'll admit, I'm pretty simple-minded here too. I mean, I think it'd be really creepy for 13 year old to go out with a 50 year old dating. Friends, yes. Dating? Seriously something would feel off, even if it's all non-physical and stuff. I admit that. but...A 21 year old going out with say a 16-17 year old? That doesn't bug me (though again, no sleeping together since it'd be illegal). Generally, if it's not illegal, it doesn't bug me. But, on the other hand, I'd still be a little nervous about certain age differences.

Owl Infestation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote        
Tbh, I do think age should have some reflection on a relationship.
(You are pretty sick if you think a 5 year old could be with a 15 year old.)
But, age gap in a way doesn't. (10 years is actually okay, at the right age, e.g a 20 year old with a 30 year old.)

For me personally, I wouldn't be able to date someone who was over 6 years older than me. (Only at this age, 19. The gap will probably stretch as I get older.) And only 1 year younger than me. (Because of legal reasons. I think that if you really cared for someone and they cared for you, you would wait until parents/police etc. had no say in your relationship otherwise the older person may end up going to jail.)

Idk. I think it just depends on personal preference. But I do think age plays a part in relationships.

However, you can be friends with anyone. Doesn't matter how old. In my place of work I've made a few friends that are over 60 but they are really nice and I will still talk to them when I leave. And come back to see them.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote        
Elrakis wrote:
I propose a mathematical principle this matter! I had this discussion with a friend the other day and after a truce we made the following conclusion:

THE LAW OF GENERAL INTER-RELATIONAL AGES

A relationship consists of persons X and Y.

X+Y is a valid combination if X≥Y but not >Y*1.2 or if Y≥X but not >X*1.2

This gives us following examples.
If person X is 15 then it's OK if person Y is 18, but NOT if person Y is 19.
If person Y is 40 then it's OK if person X is 48, but NOT if person X is 49.

I have always liked the calculation that you can date anyone as young as half your age plus seven years. I guess that would start at age 22 to maintain the legal 18 age limit.

I definitely understand the 18 age limit. I fully agree that 18 is just a random number that some pseudo-intellectuals probably pulled out of thin air. I also agree with most people here who said that marriage should be based on the individuals mental maturity instead of a random number. Unfortunately most teenagers believe that they are more mature than they are. They simply haven't had the life experience to understand what life long commitment really means. The problem is that it is the adults job to protect children from dangers even if those dangers are of the child's own making. A 14 year old might believe they are in love with a 30 year old and in the 1500's that would have been perfectly acceptable. But today we need to be more careful.

How do you judge a persons maturity? You could have them evaluated by a psychologist. But then you could sue the psychologist for malpractice if they didn't give you the answer you want. Or if the marriage doesn't work out. You could have them take standardized tests but logical tests rarely reflect emotional maturity. Or you can set a rather high generalized bar for everyone. People who really are emotionally mature and in real love will usually be willing to wait until they are 18 to get married. People who are too emotionally impulsive to be willing to wait probably don't have the maturity that they think they do and should probably have to wait anyway. The 18 year age limit might not be fair to everyone but it is a good general gauge for the majority of those who need it.

It could be that 14 year old really is in love with the 30 year old. And if they can stay together platonically for four solid years without society pressuring them apart, maybe they would be a good couple. At least after four solid years they will have a much better idea as to what they are getting into.