Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2  Next
zenphor667x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote        
How old is too old? or too young. This can go for friendships and relationships. I forgot who it was, but I heard someone in their 50's got married to a girl that was 16 years old the other day. That made me start thinking what you'd guys think on this whole situations.

When it comes to relationships, I'm usually one to stretch the age difference, I've never really dated someone the same age as me, maybe a few years apart if anything. I can understand liking someone older, but I can't if they're...I dunno...REALLY OLD? Some people like that..but seriously, what would they talk about? or is the younger person just that mature to keep a conversation. Either that or the older person is immature enough to be interested in someone so young.

When it comes to friends, I'm a bit different. I believe friends can range from many ages, but it doesn't mean like a 10 year old should be friends with someone that's 30. When you have enough sense to think for yourself, they a friendship age shouldn't matter. I remember at one point I had a friend that was 31 years old, and hey, she was friendly and harmless. We don't talk anymore but the fact that we could even keep a conversation going about same interest in stuff made me happy. The people I work with are all older than me too, except for the few teenagers, but they're great to hang around.
Hart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote        
I've always had friends on both sides of the scale, those younger and those older.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about relationships. There are a lot of arguments for both sides. The way I see it (at least at the moment) is that if you are both legal, then it is your decision to make as to what age difference the relationships you get into have. It seems to me the larger age differences can sometimes be a problem with just relating to each other, but that's probably not the case with all of them.
Firekitty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote        
It depends on what kind of relationship you have, I guess. A fifty year old marrying a sixteen year old is creepy to me, but then, maybe they're really in love; I don't know the people, so it's not my place to judge.

I don't see anything wrong with a ten year old being friends with a thirty year old, as long as they're just friends. When I was that age, I had a very hard time making friends with people my own age! I always tended to get along with my mother's friends much better, really, and *she's* always tended to have a wide range of ages around her, as well (Her three closest friends right now are 56, 40 and 30!).

I think it's just that, when you're young and still in school, you tend to have friends who are all within a few years of your own age because that's what you're primarily exposed to. Once you graduate and start working, you meet a lot of people of different ages but similar interests (since you're working in the same field). There's also the fact that the older people get, the less age difference matters....there's a huge difference mentally between a twelve year old and a seventeen year old, but not nearly so much between a twenty-two year old and a twenty-seven year old.
neomattlac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote        
I'm like you, Firekitty. I often got along with my parents' friends better than people my age, but once I hit senior year of high school, I started reaching out to people my age because I didn't have many friends my age.
As for relationships, I think there a 10-15 year gap, and then the whole underage thing.

nekocake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote        
It depends more on the maturity level more than the age in my opinion. But also, you don't want someone who is a lot older than you, especially if you are looking for a long term relationship. One person would end up elderly while the other i middle aged and that would be kind of odd.
killerkitty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote        
My parents split up, and my mum remarried to a man 20 years older than her. I get along with him really well, and so far no problems have arisen in their relationship. I've even got two little sisters! (Though it's probably strange to have a father old enough to be your grandfather.) I don't have any friends my age, but I get along very well with my parents' friends. But I think it's true that in relationships, the older you are the less age difference matters, but if your truly in love and compatible then it doesn't matter at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote        
Personally, as long as the age difference is not like 10 years it'[s fine with me, unless the girl is below the age 18, i find it creepy if the boy is like 21 and dating 16 year old girl. I'll let it be like 19 as well, but it's pushing it a bit. I just don't think if you're a legal adult you should be pursuing a underage girl or boy even, romantically, i mean being friends is okay, but a relationship beyond that is fine, but as long as the person is legal, an age difference isn't too bug of a deal. though i don't personally think I'll date anyone 10+ years older then me.

Watch Frieza Transform
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:09 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I don't know much about romantic relationships, so I'm gonna stick with the platonic ones.

Personally, I don't think that age has an effect on the relationship between two people. I think that the main factor is actually maturity. I have friends who are older than me, and about my maturity, and I have friends who are younger than me, and they're basically a way for me to STOP acting mature and be a kid for a while.

But, friend wise, if the friend is so bothered by the age difference, should you still be friends? I mean, if the friend thinks that the difference in age is more important that the times the two of you have, he/she can't think much of the times that the two of you have.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I just see conflicts of interest, and conflicts of selves, when the age difference gets too far apart.
I am dating a girl just over a year younger than me, but at our age(20 and 21), I really notice that difference, and then she is naturally naive. However, all that is still something that attracts me further. Like getting something I shouldn't have. But, then, I am a very odd person.

Destiny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote        
I think it really depends on the relationship you have with the person. It's okay to have a friend 10+ years older than you, but that must also mean that you have the maturity to speak, or share a good relationship with them. As long as you can click, I don't see why not.

It also really depends on what age you start having friends like that...If you start having friends wayyy older than you at the age of 13...that's a bit strange. The other person would probably be looked at as a pedophile. I think once a person gets older, like 20 or so? It's easier to have older friends.

The above would also apply to any romantic relationship. Once a person hits 20, it really seems like they're old :P If you're under that age, and get married with someone 10 years older than you, they may seem like a dirty pedo.

Soo, age and maturity really factors in any relationship.
Asymmetric

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote        
I think my top age difference for a love relationship would be around 10 years older than me, and like 4 younger. My preference though is someone only slightly older than me, like for around a year or two. As for friendships, I'd had friendships like the ones you said, I used to hold conversations with people around 20 or more years older than me, and it was interesting and fun. But since they are older and have responsibilities unlike those I had, then it usually was short lived.
WhingingNinja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote        
I think really for friendships age shouldn't really matter as long as its all above board lol for either age I mean whether its too young or for too old. My other half is ten years older than me and I'm twenty seven so eh I've always gone out with older guys but my mother reckons he's too old for me even though her partner is about ten years younger than her, so go figure that one out.
Elrakis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote        
I propose a mathematical principle this matter! I had this discussion with a friend the other day and after a truce we made the following conclusion:

THE LAW OF GENERAL INTER-RELATIONAL AGES

A relationship consists of persons X and Y.

X+Y is a valid combination if X≥Y but not >Y*1.2 or if Y≥X but not >X*1.2

This gives us following examples.
If person X is 15 then it's OK if person Y is 18, but NOT if person Y is 19.
If person Y is 40 then it's OK if person X is 48, but NOT if person X is 49.

=^_^=
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote        
Elrakis wrote:
I propose a mathematical principle this matter! I had this discussion with a friend the other day and after a truce we made the following conclusion:

=^_^=

This would mean that my marriage was not okay. I am 26 and my husband is 35. He was 28 when we met and I was only 19, and we started dating not to long after that. He's a wonderful man, though, and we have a fantastic relationship.

It really doesn't matter what your age is for relationships so long as both parties are legal and happy with their choice. I agree with this for friendships as well. I have no interest in hanging around with most teenagers. There are some that are surprisingly mature, but for the most part I would rather them keep away from me.

Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote        
Elrakis wrote:

=^_^=

Oki, sooo this means that for a brief 3 months of my relationship with my boyfriend it doesn't work to these terms... so what does that mean?? Cause I am 17 and he is 20 but then he will turn 21 and i'll still be 17 for another 3 months.