Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Advanced Roleplaying
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote        

Click the banner to go to the shop!

Click here to go to the OOC thread.

I put this into the advanced roleplay section to prove that it needs to be taken seriously, but it really only has high expectations in literacy. I'm not expecting five paragraph posts, only four or five sentences will do if you have no muse. And if you feel incompetent, don't worry, I'll assassinate anyone who gives you trouble. If you keep at it, you'll be roleplaying like a pro in no time.

INDEX::

1. Introduction/Index
2. Rules
3. Culture and Other Information
4. Guilds and Class
5. The World & Seasons
6. The Current Plot
7. Reserved
8. Reserved
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote        
GENERAL RULES::

1` You must own a centaur to roleplay here. Sorry! To get one, just click the banner in the first post. It will bring you to the adoptables shop, where there is always some sort of sale being planned. So if you're patient you'll have a centaur in no time!
2` To roleplay in this thread, your centaur has to be either an adult or a child (preferably an adult). However you can still RP in the main shop and/or make a profile for your centaur!
3` If you aren't a big roleplayer, you are always free to action roleplay (don't know this term? check the FAQ) in the shop.
4` Don't be afraid to ask me questions or ask me to add more detail to the front posts. I'm always willing to share all the intricate little details of the world!
5` Do, however, respect the world and the plot. I can tell you I've spent probably two or three weeks, collectively, creating this culture and land (That's a lot if you think about it, over 400 hours), and I'm still working on it!
6` I have the right to modify or add rules at any time I want.

RP RULES::

1` Of course, do not go over the Midorea PG13 rating.
2`Yes, this is an advanced roleplay. Typos are perfectly fine, and some grammar mistakes if English isn't your first language. But please put efforts into your posts, so we know that you care.
3` Follow the culture. If you want to make a centaur that strays from the norms (in a big way, of course. I expect everyone's centaurs to have unique personalities) then you have to PM me and ask me first. I will most likely say no, unless it fits well within the plot. I.E. you can have an anti-social centaur, but you can't have a centaur with no herd.
4` All centaurs from the shop are in the herd "Hallowind," founded by my centaur Shota. Currently, creating new herds is not an option for centaur owners.
5` You can make random side characters to move a roleplay along. A childhood friend, your centaur's parents, etc, can all make appearances. Just make sure they aren't constant appearances.
6` Your characters are your centaurs. There are no other mythical creatures in this world until I say so. Ergo, I may want to draw a phoenix pet thing and then there will be phoenixes. There are now phoenixes! Check the shop's "Trading Post" to see companions that are possibilities to buy and roleplay. Roleplayable companions are not limited to ones being sold, PM me if you want to roleplay some other animal companion (elk, sheep, owl, etc).
7` Also, no humans. Ever. Period.

FAQ::

Q: Are these centaurs based off the Midorean deities?
A: Not at all Sweat I didn't even know Midorea existed when I made the first of these.

Q: What is action roleplay?
A: It's when you roleplay as follows:
Quote:
Bob: -waves at Fred- Hi Fred! You'll never believe what just happened to me!
Fred: What?
Bob: I lost my wallet AND my girlfriend on the same day! D:
Fred: Oh no, that's terrible! -hugs Bob-

And so on. It's a very illiterate and informal roleplaying experience, but it makes interaction with others easier and faster.

Q: What type of herd is Hallowind?
A: Although its size may make it seem like a family, Hallowind actually has a bunch of random NPC/side character centaurs in it. I would say it is a normal sized, nomadic herd, with approximately 75 to 100 members.

Q: How do I know who is who and in what herd and what class and ahhhahhahbfejkew!?!
A: Click ^___^~

Q: Do centaurs have to wear their masks all the time in public?
A: Not at all! They can remove their masks whenever they want, except in certain ceremonies. How else would they eat?! There is simply a lot of etiquette surrounded in taking off one's mask, and so if you aren't extremely uncomfortable/hot/impaired/whatever by the mask, it is generally left on the majority of the time.

Q: What is this etiquette? o 3o
A: Well, since you asked ;D... Step 1: Turn away from everyone present, at least so your face isn't directly in anyone's immediate view. Step 2: With both hands lift your mask entirely off your face, never push it up your forehead. Step 3: If you are laying down ((centaurs lay, they don't really sit)) for a large amount of time, such as to eat or the like, place your mask by your left shoulder with the back to the ground and the front towards the sky. Step 4: If you are standing, and/or are not going to be in the same spot for a while, hold your mask with two hands fully. Never grasp the mask by accessories, parts, etc, either rest the back of it on your palms, or hold both sides with the front facing the sky. Even if you are standing in one spot for a long time, never place your mask on the ground while you are standing. Step 5: To put your mask back on, lower your chin against your chest and gently place it back on your face in a downward manner. Replacing your mask does not require any turning away, but overly modest centaurs often do so anyway.

Extra: If you want to adjust your hair, face, whatever, rest the back of your mask on one palm (do not grip only one side of the mask with your only free hand, always rest it on your palm) and use your other hand to do what you need. | When resting the mask on the palm, you are allowed to stick your fingers through the eyeholes for a better grip (at least, this is much more acceptable than accidentally dropping your mask). | Never give your mask to another centaur to hold. A necro may hold another centaur's mask, but only if he is checking/fixing it, or in certain ceremonies, never casually.
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote        
CULTURE::

Basic Info

Diet-- Centaurs are slightly omnivorous, tending more to the herbivore side. They are known to eat some seafood (fish, crab, lobster, oysters), but beside that generally stick to bread, fruits, vegetables, and dairy. Dairy products- milk, cheese, cream, etc, are extremely rare, as only villages (settled herds that don't move around) have the means to care for cattle, and they sell these products at very high prices.

Mortality-- Centaurs live about the same years as humans, maybe a little less. The average centaur lives to be 60 to 80°. Females mature when they are 12 to 14, males mature between the ages 16 and 18.

°Oldest known centaur was 86 years old when she died.

General Traits-- Centaurs are a community species, very few have any desire for power. They work well together but at the same time become very disagreeable if they are forced to take orders from any specific person. Although individual power is not a goal, centaurs have a lot of pride and "herdalism" (nationalism, basically). They often attack other herds to show strength and superiority. Even with herds they are allied with, there are many competitions held between alliances to try and one-up the others.

Anatomy-- Reference picture. "The torso" is always referring to the human part, and "the body" is always referring to the horse part. Similarly, "stomach" means the horse stomach- if you want to mean the human stomach, say "abs" or "abdomen." Even if the centaur is not toned, it is still called their abs. Also, "lower shoulder" should always be used to refer to the horse shoulder, and "shoulder" or "upper shoulder" is the human one. And yes. They do have hooves.

Both the back and the forearm can be used to describe both the horse and human body parts. However, if you want to specify horse back use "aft." As for the forearm... well, people will probably understand in the context of the post. Same with the human back, you shouldn't actually say "human back" in-post because centaurs don't have the term "human" or "horse." You'll have to leave it up to context for people to understand, or simply OOC using double parenthesis- ((Out Of Character talk goes in here)).

Populations-- Herds can become enormous, with up to 400 or 600 members. Generally herds this large are referred to as villages, which makes sense because at this size a herd generally stops nomadic travels and settles into one territory.

Smaller herds, between 50 and 300 members, occupy several territories that they routinely travel to. Travel varies between herds, depending on seasons, other herds, local vegetation, the health and well-being of the members, and/or a general attitude among the herd. Some herds are constantly on the move, others prefer staying a while in one place. This size herd is the most common.

Herds between 3 and 25 members are usually called "families" and are not taken very seriously as a community by most of the larger herds.

Territories-- One territory can cover up to 300 sq. miles (the average territory for an average-sized herd- 100 members- would be 50 sq. miles), and, as previously stated, one herd can own several territories. The most common dispute between herds is one herd taking over another herd's land when the former has traveled to one of their other territories.

Relationships/Breeding-- There is no marriage, but centaurs are incredibly loyal. To have a relationship with a taken male or female is considered one of the utmost shameful things to do, and can get you a bad reputation in every herd, not just your own. In some cases it can even get you (both) kicked out of the herd.

Your centaur can be any damn sexuality he pleases. Centaurs are proud, but they recognize and appreciate love for what it is: love. No matter to who or what it is directed at.

Centaurs do not have human wombs! They only have horse ones! So remember, the baby is in the horse stomach, NOT the human one. Also, same-sex couples are encouraged to adopt parentless foals, and all same-sex couples in a herd are given the option before letting a different-sex couple adopt the child.

Crops-- Generally only villages grow crops, but a few herds have planned their roaming schedule to be able to grow their own food. Crops that are manually grown include, but aren't limited to: sweet corn, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, watermelon, squash. Plants found in the wild are: berries, a variety of medical and edible herbs (ginger, rosemary, parsley, etc), wild corn, seaweed, wild potatoes, apples, strawberries, pumpkin, mushrooms, plums, etc. Try to think "indigenous American East Coast food". Food that is NOT known of: coconut, bananas, oranges, basically anything we would think of as tropical fruit does not exist.

Government

Democratic Anarchy-- The whole community decides on major decisions, with most attention towards an elder's opinions, and a guard's opinions in military crisis.

Maturity Check Points-- "Voting" age is 15 for females and 17 for males. To become a guild member, a centaur must be at least 15 years old. A centaur decides himself what he wants to do, with the exception of a Shaman necro. Shaman necros seek out and pick their student, and many of them have even been known to die before they could find a suitable apprentice.

Schooling-- All centaurs are taught the basic reading, writing, math, fishing, sewing, and personal defense when they reach 2 1/2 years of age. Non-gender discriminate. Generally centaurs begin to study under the guild they wish to be in when they BECOME a guild member, and thus are fit to participate in the guild (they only begin to really fight, heal, make swords, etc) when they are 18 to 25 (depending on the occupation).

Economy-- Because centaurs tend to live in individual herds and villages (as opposed to all living under one country's rule°), there is no currency. They trade animals, textiles, food, and other goods between herds.

Shelter-- Villages construct large, communal homes out of wood, straw, and other material available. They also create winter shelter for their cattle. Nomadic herds (which is like 90% of the centaur population, including Hallowind, the herd y'all are from) create heavy cloth tents for the Cold Season, but for the rest of the year there is no need for shelter and each centaur simply carries his own collapsible bed that is easily set up each night. It's basically a small frame that holds up a cushion for a centaur to lay down in front of and rest his shoulders and head on.

°At one point a country was established, with a set currency, laws, and appointed leaders. Three years after the resurrection of this country, it collapsed and the citizens dispersed again into separate herds. Ironically, the currency from this country (which were small carved cylinders of wood with the country's emblem on both ends) is still used in selling and purchasing items, only they are now viewed as fancy decoration and cheap historical artifacts instead of money. Much like an old vase or a fake dinosaur tooth is to us.

Spirituality

The mountains are the world of the dead, similar to what we would think Hell as. This is why centaurs never ever venture into the mountains, and everyone who has has never come out again. However, unlike the spirit mythology we are used to, centaurs' souls do not have to leave the living world- indeed, it is better that they do not. Once a soul has gone to the mountains they can never find their way out, and necros are then unable to ask them for assistance.

Masks are believed to hold a centaur's soul, and so keeping a mask (the necro's job) prevents the soul from traveling to the mountains. Thus, the destruction of a mask is treated with even more shock, pain, and horror than the death of an actual herd member.

A centaur's mask is technically "created" the moment they are born, but only a Shaman necro can see what the mask is. The reason the masks aren't made until the centaur is of age is because the necro would otherwise not know what size to make the mask.

The dead are believed to hold the memories of the entire history of the world, so their wisdom is usually followed with the belief that they are speaking from an experience far beyond the experience of any elder. Necros are the only ones who can speak to the dead.

Riddles-- Centaurs believe that the entire land and all living things, including themselves, are made from riddles (when referring to a riddle in this context, its spelled with a capital r, Riddle). In fact, the term "finding the second half of your Riddle" is translatable to our "finding your soulmate" because it is believed that your true love's life Riddle, if put next to yours, would be comprehensible as a second verse of your own. They believe the same thing for companions (their companion's life Riddle is an extension of their own). However, very few centaurs know their life Riddle. You only discover what it is after you have died-- to find out beforehand is... well, a long process that I won't go over here.

Miscellaneous

Sexuality-- Centaurs aren't like humans, who create a difference between "straight" "bisexual" "gay" etc. To centaurs, it is all essentially the same thing, and they don't have any different names for "different" sexualities. It's just called love. That's why there is no sexuality option on the profile form- a lot of centaurs are bi, and being "straight" for one partner is opt to change for another.

Seeex?-- (Possibly slightly graphic? Lol! Scientifically/socially graphic, anyway. Just a heads up if people don't want to read). Unlike humans, who have evolved (or been designed, if that is your preference) to be able to have sex while still remaining intimate, centaurs... obviously don't have this useful function. They don't "make love" because the act of sex is incredibly impersonal. As such, sex is a complete dunce in centaur society; no one really cares about it, and it's seen more as an obligation to further their species as opposed to something you want to do to show love.

On the other hand, kissing and affectionate touching of the face or putting your face against your lover's face is seen as more or less the most intimate you can get. While it isn't taboo to kiss out in public (it wouldn't be like having sex out in the open or anything, haha), it is rather embarrassing for people watching. Seeing two centaurs give each other even a quick, tame kiss is equivalent to seeing two people making out viciously in a park. No one will say anything to them, but it would be intrusive, rude, and awkward (not entirely for the act of kissing, but for the act of not only being un-masked in public, but unashamedly showing intimacy with another un-masked face... that sounds extremely weird, but yeah).

Worse than kissing is touching your face to your lover's face. This isn't like our affectionate, cutesy pose. There is a reason centaurs wear masks: uncontrollable physical emotions (blushing, eyes widening, eyebrow raising, eye rolling, etc) are seen as something affecting one's honor and pride. Love is thought to be an uncontrollable emotion, and resting your forehead against another's is an almost subconscious act that you do when you truly love another. And it often isn't just a quick lean; young centaur couples run off into the woods not to have sex behind a bush, but to sit quietly in each other's presence and let their un-masked faces touch. It is the height of affection and trust.

...On a rather different subject, holding hands is the most common public display of affection, something that is only done between two lovers or a parent and child. Having your hands palm-to-palm was first a necro apprentice-and-master stance, and it is thought to be one of the easiest ways to "give" another centaur your life riddle, a necessary and formal practice of necros to their apprentices. Not to get too sidetracked off of the topic, while typical loving palm-to-palm hand holding is done for the same reason, the apprentice-and-master stance is very formal and can be unquestionably distinguished from its less formal evolution.

Also, handshakes are not as business-y as we think of them, and are more personal. You greet someone with a handshake only if you are (at the very least) long-acquaintances. Although handshakes aren't really handshakes, they're more... hand... grips?

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST.

Hugging is more or less the same, just slightly more strict. You don't find centaurs who are "very friendly" and will hug you on first or second meeting. It's generally an act done between good friends or close family members. You are in no way obligated to hug a relative simply because they are your relative; if you do not know them and are uncomfortable with them, it is better to do the handshake, or the more formal "bow" which is.... crap. Okay. Christ, if anyone reads this entire thing you deserve some freaking cookies or something. THE WAY A CENTAUR BOWS IS they place the back of their right hand over their left palm (both hands palm-up), creating kind of a triangle-space with the arms and torso. You then (if you're younger) turn your face away and give a kind of half-bow, extending your arms outward slightly as you do so (almost as though you are offering a gift to the other centaur). If you are an older centaur, you do the same back-right-hand-to-left-palm triangle thing, but you don't turn your face away and you do not bow (though most elders will give a nod to the other centaur to show acknowledgement and respect). If they're just about equal in age, both will usually do the elder's bow (the latter described one), but sometimes more shy, formal, or especially humble centaurs still do the former.

BUT OF COURSE MANY TIMES especially if the centaur is in the same herd as you, you forego greetings all together and just sort of run up to them and start talking.

Wow, this got completely side-tracked from the original sex talk LOLOL. Oh well. This wasn't supposed to actually be about sex, anyway, it's just titled that because I know you're all perverts and will want to read it. TEEHEE.

TL;DR: In centaur terms, hugging is first base, holding hands is second base, kissing is third base, and face-to-face contact is fourth base. Sex is an entirely nondescript category of its own that can be likened to going to a lab and getting pregnant by manual insertion of sperm/egg/fetus/whateverthehell. Not exactly "sexy" or "erotic" but something that is still not exactly displayed to the world.

Aging Process-- Infant (0 thr. 2 1/2), Child (2 1/2 thr. 12), Adolescent (13 thr. 19), Adult (20 thr. 60), Senior (60 thr. ~80)

Breeds-- All horse and pony breeds. No known miniature horse breeds.

Meals-- Centaurs eat a lot throughout the day. It's a lot of work keeping two stomachs, two hearts, six limbs, and 600kg of centaur moving! There is the waking meal, first meal, morning meal, noon meal, afternoon meal, and last meal. Then there are a bunch of small snacks in between these if anyone is hungry.

The waking meal is not what we think of breakfast as- centaurs literally wake up to a meal. The first person who is awake in a resting site (resting sites usually consist of one or two families and straggler centaurs with no families), immediately eats a small meal (usually of bread and fruit), and goes around to wake the others and hand them their waking meals. First meal is then cooked (its almost always a warm food) and eaten. Both of these take place in the early morning, around 6 or 7am. Then later in the morning, probably mid-morning (10 to 11am), there is the morning meal.

Next there is noon meal (though it is actually eaten more around 1 or 2pm), which is usually eaten in large groups in the herd's camp center. It's considered a social meal, and centaurs are expected to stop working and sit down to eat and talk.

Then there is the afternoon meal (around 5 or 6pm) and finally the last meal, which is similar to the first meal in that it is eaten in individual resting sites. Immediately after eating the last meal, you go to sleep, so it is usually eaten late at night (anywhere between 8 to 12pm). Also many children will eat last meals before their parents, as they are expected to go to bed earlier, then once they are asleep and the adults are ready to go to bed, they eat their last meal.

Domestication-- Centaurs tend to leave other animals alone; they don't see why any animal has less of a right to be free than they do. However, cows cannot live without centaurs caring for them, and thus are dependent on them. Only villages are capable of keeping cattle.

Another common domesticated animal are sheep, kept for their wool. Unlike the wild sheep, and similar to cows, domesticated sheep aren't fit to live in the wild. Again, sheep are mostly kept by villages, but sometimes nomadic herds will bring a couple dozen or so sheep around with them. Sheep are hardier than cattle and can withstand more extreme temperature, less food, and constant travel.

Pets-- Pets aren't exactly "pets" as we think of them. A centaur's pet is free to come and go as it wishes, they have simply chosen to stay with their centaur. Bards are known to befriend birds the easiest, necros often keep wolves for companions, warriors tend to attract the more protective and aggressive animals, and workers let squirrels, rats, and sometimes even snakes rest on their backs, thus often befriending one in the process.

Hygiene-- Centaurs love bathing, and they generally try to find some sort of stream or such to do so in. They never bathe in still bodies of water. There are various soap-like things (made by healers) that they use, which is more of a fragrance applier than an actual cleaning tool. They also have steam baths in the winter (fyi, you don't use soap in steam baths), or when they can't find a stream; you make a steam bath with a tent and hot rocks, by pouring water over the rocks you create steam which then condenses inside the tent. Bathing is one of the few hierarchical processes centaurs have; if the herd finds a stream, workers and protectors are allowed to bathe first, followed by soldiers and guards, then bards and healers, and finally necros. If there are any merchants with them, they get to go before the workers and protectors.

For dental hygiene, centaurs usually just gargle warm/hot-ish water before they go to sleep. A lot of centaurs also chew on mint leaves throughout the day and after meals to keep their breath fresh. There is something similar to our mouthwash, with alcohol and various things in it to clean one's teeth, but this is given more as a medicine for toothache or a mouth disease than used daily. There are no toothbrushes or toothpaste or anything of that sort.
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote        
GUILDS::

The Guild of Shaman

Classes:
necro;; Necros have a variety of tasks they perform, many of which lay claim to tradition, superstition, and the supernatural. Because of this they are one of the most revered classes among ALL the guilds, and even enemy herds will respect another herd's necro. Necros create a centaur's mask when they come of age and they perform many of the ceremonies chartering souls both into life and out of it. They must also communicate with a herd's ancestors when the community cannot come to a decision, then inform the herd of the ancestor's wisdom. Because of the obvious power a necro holds, a necro must find his own student, one that displays both the intelligence and benevolent qualities that are obligatory to maintain peace within the community. Other small tasks include cremation ceremonies for bodies that are not given to healers, asking nature for rain, sun, etc, giving personal advice to herd members about death, love, marriage, birth, etc, and keeping the masks of deceased herd members.

bard;; Basically the historians of centaurs, bards have stories, songs, and traditions passed down to them from their mentors, and in turn they will pass the same down to their students. Bards also write down important events, people, and newly found traditions in either a poetic or story format. Bard students are called scholars, and one bard can have up to six scholars, most of whom come to the bard with the request of apprenticeship. Other tasks include entertaining at festivals (singing, playing music, dancing, acting, etc), and creating maps.

healer;; The name kind of speaks for itself. Healers are the doctors of the herd, and are very knowledgeable in herbs, medicines (mixtures of herbs and sometimes other ingredients), anatomy, types of illnesses and diseases, and the weather (a bit random, but it makes sense- the chances of different kinds of illnesses increase or decrease with specific weather. So if it is going to be rainy the next day, a healer would make sure to have the herbs and medicines that cure colds). It is not uncommon, nor considered a dishonor to the dead centaur, to give a corpse to a Shaman healer in order for them to dissect the body in the name of knowledge.

The Guild of Warrior

Classes:
protector;; Trained in defense with minor offensive strategies, protectors are the main defenders of a herd when the herd is being attacked. Protectors must be strong, quick, and well coordinated with each other. Archers are usually in this class, not with the soldiers. Other tasks include being spies, military messengers, and lookouts.

soldier;; An upgrade from a protector. Soldiers are taught more offensive attacks and are the ones sent out to attack other herds. Soldiers rarely help defend their herd, it is custom to instead retreat with the other herd members in the midst of an attack. They are sometimes called to defense when the herd is at an obvious disadvantage. Soldiers tend to be the cockiest of all classes, which is usually put up with, as they are the main upholders of the herd's pride.

guard;; Almost like the generals of the warriors, guards have previously been both a protector and a soldier. They are the ones whose orders are followed when there is no time for a discussion, such as in an ambush or a surprise attack. They are also the ones who think up military strategies and formations, and they bring the rest of the herd to safety while the protectors are fighting. Other tasks include keeping peace among the herd members and/or herd alliances, training young centaurs basic defense, and keeping track of the herd's population and item/food stock.

The Guild of Crux

Classes:
worker;; The workers are just that- workers. They are the blacksmiths, masons, weavers, foragers, fishers, teachers, etc. People in this class, though not revered like the necros, still earn a lot of respect among their herd, and the death of a worker is mourned even more than the loss of a warrior. Workers are also the only centaurs who do not circulate among their herd's alliance. Protectors, soldiers, healers, even necros, may all go to help an ally when they need it, but workers may not even sell their services in another herd. Instead, they can only sell their products, which they do through merchants. Kind of put-together list of more specific worker jobs.

merchant;; Merchants are possibly the bravest centaurs in a herd. They gather products that the herd's workers wish to sell, and (most often by themselves) they set off to go to other herds. They are also kind of the postmen of centaurs, as many merchants will take letters and bring them to the other herds, then bring their letters back. Products are usually only sold to ally herds, but merchants still have to cross enemy lands to get to their allies. Some merchants have protectors go with them, others do not. It is not uncommon (though not necessarily common, either) for a merchant to leave the herd and never be heard of again. In return for their bravery and service, merchants are given shelter, food, and entertainment among the herds they sell to, and of course their own herd.

***Generally when stating their occupation, a centaur will say their guild first, and then their class. i.e. "Shaman healer" "Warrior guard" etc. Also, the guild title is capitalized, the class title is not.
Dr. Tick Tock

THE WORLD::

CURRENTLY::
It is the Harvest Season. The temperature is between 50 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. The only roleplaying herd is Hallowind.

Click For Full View

Mountains` The mountains are the world of the dead, similar to what we would think Hell as. This is why centaurs never ever venture into the mountains, and everyone who has has never come out again.

Foothills` Few herds have the bravery to stay long in the foothills, for fear that their younger children will wander into the mountains. Still, herds defend their territory here because the close proximity to both major water sources makes the soil rich for growing and finding food.

Lakes` There is an unspoken law that the two lakes can never be claimed by herds, and their shores are open to any centaurs who need water. Still, the land around the lakes are often defended as territory, and any intruder caught fishing or gathering food will have to face the consequences. There are of course a few other small ponds and lakes scattered about that aren't shown on the map, but those do belong to the herd whose territory they are in.

Rivers` There is one large river connecting the two lakes, two smaller rivers, and another two streams that each break off from one river. Just like the lakes, the rivers are not claimable, with the exception of the streams. The streams both end in little pools, which are very popular bathing spots; these pools switch between ownership more commonly than any other territory. The largest river has several waterfalls within it, and only a few spots are safe to go into.

West Forest` These trees grow close together, and only the most agile and lithe centaurs are capable of living here. However, it pays off, because most hostile or territorial creatures (bear, moose, wolves, etc) do not come here. These woods are home to many deer, burrowing and tree-living animals (rabbits, squirrels, etc), snakes, and small birds.

North Woods` These woods are difficult to walk through, despite the trees being fairly evenly spaced apart; the river feeds the soil, and many bushes and other growth block paths. The abundance of fruit is definitely worth the effort, however, and the North Woods are a very sought-after territory.

East Forest` These trees leave plenty of walking space between them, and anyone can easily traverse here. A lot of this wood is home to bear, moose, owls, wolves, coyotes, etc. They give good shelter to those who live here, with a fairly decent amount of berries and the best herbs to be found. Some wild corn and strawberries also grow in various parts.
--Marsh` The marsh sits in the bowels of the East Forest, and the only good that ever really comes from it are herbs. For the most part, the marsh is left alone. Desperate centaurs without herds usually come here to see what frog, newt, or fish they can catch to eat.

Cliffside` The cliff, below/beside the East Forest, is completely barren land save for a few tufts of grass and a bit of rock. Some wild sheep herds live here, constantly roaming for food. With their wool, they are the few creatures that can withstand the strong wind that whips across this land.

Dry Plains` These plains sit below the West Forest, and are hot and dry most of the time, with tall, and just as dry, grass growing. Prairie dogs and wild hens are just about the only wildlife found here, if you don't count the droves of mosquitoes. Still, for hardy centaurs it's a fine place to live, and every once in a while a refreshing breeze blows in from the west.

Fertile Plains` These plains, sitting in between the two small rivers (and about a mile or so on either side) are perfect for crops, or just foraging for naturally grown food. Mice, various birds, badgers, and sometimes coyotes are most often spotted here. Another highly sought-after territory that is mostly won by villages.

Beach` The best place to find seashells, or fish for crabs, lobsters, and oysters, the beach is seen more as a resource than a vacation spot. Nonetheless, no one can deny the serenity of such a place, and centaurs don't mind bringing their foals to splash in the water.

SEASONS::

The year is broken into five seasons.

New Season` [in our dates, March - May] Snow is melting, the air is warming up, and creatures are coming out of hiding. Besides the lakes being unfrozen and full of fish again, food supply is still low while berries and herbs are growing. This is the most common time for adolescents to start seeking out mentors and learn their trade before they are busy with the Planting Season. There are scattered, small celebrations within herds who have plenty of left-over food from the Cold Season, but for the most part things are still quiet.

Planting Season` [June - August] It's warm- sometimes a bit too much- and the perfect season to begin planting most crops. Food is abundant and very few herds have trouble finding nourishment. This is the busiest time of year, even the young centaurs who don't help plant or forage are put to work all day with their schooling.

Harvest Season` [August - October] The weather is cooling down again, and it's time to harvest all the crops from the previous season. Yes, these two seasons often overlap. This time of year is usually the happiest and most care-free, provided Planting Season went well. Many herds hold their alliance competitions during this time, and have many little celebrations in-between.

Cold Season` [November - December, February] Time to start preserving the harvest and packing it away from the frost. This is also the major foraging time, with not only year-round foraging herds, but villages also send foragers to gather the last of the wild fruit and veggies for a better chance of outlasting the snow. After the Dead Season, most centaurs spend their days trying to outlast the cold while staying warm and entertained.

Dead Season` [January] The coldest, darkest, and most dreaded season. Even the beach doesn't wash up much food during this time, and centaurs rely heavily on the food stock that they have saved. To keep themselves preoccupied, herds set up small competitions within themselves for the children to compete against each other in strength, wit, and agility, while the adults are the audience. These competitions last throughout the entire month, during the light hours of the days. At night, the herd gathers around a bonfire while the bards recite stories, poems, and songs.
Dr. Tick Tock

THE CURRENT PLOT::

Open Roleplay.
Dr. Tick Tock

Reserved.
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote        
Reserved.
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote        
Territory:: Border of the West Forest, some miles from the western lake. xxx

Shota stood staring at the bustle of the Hallowind campsite center. Two centaurs were starting a fire while foragers packaged their scavanged berries and fishers prepared their catch for dinner.

He felt a familiar presence come up close beside him, so close he could feel the heat from their flank against his. Only one centaur dared come that close to him. "We got a good catch of fish today."

Abyl inclined his head a little in agreement. "I know. I can smell it."

"If the herd isn't greedy, we may be set for the cold season in just a few weeks."

"Wouldn't it be nice if there was no greed?" He smiled beneath his mask. "No. We will be scrambling for seafood in the harvest season just as we always are."

"What do you need of me, Abyl?"

"Some centaurs have been voicing their concerns to me. They're afraid that this territory is too close to a village, and we'll be attacked or stolen from during the night. Perhaps we should move camp."

"I have my reasons for being where we are," Shota stated, then turned and started off to go check that his soldiers were practicing and not bothering the protectors.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote        
Nuria was keeping watch again. She loved lookout duty it was one of her favorite things to do as a protector. Of course so far it had really been the only thing she had needed to do, well aside from training her skills in case of any form of attack. So far though things had seemed pretty quite in this area. She had overheard whispers about being much to close to a village of course so far nothing had happened. Of course that was no cause for her to drop her guard in anyway.

When around a village or just any other roaming herd there was always the possibility of someone attacking for whatever reason. So she kept her guard up even though some of the soldiers had been coming around trying to distract her. "They should be practicing and not bothering me or anyone else.' She thought shaking her head as she kept watch to make sure nothing would threaten the camp.

Icewing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 am Reply with quote        
Also standing watch, Mana calmly looked around, yawning slightly. Unlike the other centaurs, he hadn't heard any rumours about being too close to another village, and was being painfully oblivious, as usual. He did, however, stay just as alert as the other centaurs, getting a feeling that something was wrong. Not to mention, Mana didn't want to be the odd one out, and be the only centaur who wasn't alert. That would just look stupid, he decided.

Stretching his legs, he decided to go for a little run, feeling his knees and ankles beginning to cramp up. He started to trot alongside the trees, heading in the general direction of the lake. Mana had been standing a little away from the herd, and was basically just running around the border of the camp, albeit a little ways away.

~~~~~~~

Beau wandered through the village, keeping his gaze turned to the ground as usual. The shy male was humming to himself, too shy to actually be singing. He walked avoiding most of the centaurs, dodging anyone who crossed his path. Seeing that he was nearing the camp center, he turned slightly, changing his direction so that he wouldn't have to walk through the bustling mass of centaurs. The male started to head towards the edge of camp, deciding he would go to the lake in attempt to get away from the others so that he could practice singing on his own.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote        
OOC//

Oops. The Dungeon Master has to intervene, sorry u___u

They're not in a village, they're in an encampment at the most, only herds that are immobile (don't move between several territories) are villages. There are no shelters, as well. ^__^b Sorry if I hadn't made that clear before.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote        
((I am right to assume that it is more of a tent set up correct. That's how Iimagined it kindave like native American's when they would move like a teepee sortave set up easy to break down and move about.))

Nuria watched as a few of the younger centaur were playing about. They seemed to be enjoying their youth. How she wished she could join in their fun. Of course they had only caught her attention for a short while with there laughter and squealing about.

She moved her attention back to the outskirts of the camp making sure nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Nothing had changed it seemed in the few moments she had taken to watch the younglings playing. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed one of the other protector's she believed his name was Mana. She of course wasn't too certain she had always been rather shy and stand offish with most people. She watched him as he began to trot about seemingly stretching his legs. "Hmmm seems like a good idea." She thought aloud to herself as she began to do similar not leaving from her area though seeing as she didn't want to get into any trouble.

Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote        
OOC//

They have heavy tents in the cold season (winter), but it's currently the new season (spring) and warm enough that they don't have any shelters. Just a fire to cook food.

I'm going to edit my first post with a more exact terrain so you guys know where we are (though Icy got it right lolol I was so impressed. Icy and her mind-reading powers -shakes head-).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote        
[OoC: Lol, I only looked at the map, and decided they were near the lake since you mentioned fish in your first post. It was really just a wild guess on what the terrain was XD]

Spotting the other protector, Mana realizing it was the centaur Nuria, he waved. The male trotted over to her. "Hi, Nuria!" he called as he got closer. He trotted alongside of her, attempting to keep pace with the other centaur. "What're you up to?" he asked. "Anything exciting happen?" Even though Mana knew he would probably have noticed anything exciting happen, him being stationed within seeing and hearing range of Nuria, he still couldn't stop himself from asking. That was just one of the weirder, childish qualities about Mana, that he couldn't hold back on asking questions, even if he did know the answers to them.