Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Storybook
Virva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote        
I want to know how really good this story is, so please comment or critize thank you =) oh mild language btw

Original Date: 3/29/06
Rewritten: 6/17/06
Resurface
By: Rin Alikylan Sakimura
Revised by Kharris Kyryn
"Pirates have been spotted around here," he said pointing ahead as they neared said region. "Well one anyway." He swallowed hard before explaining, straightening out his uniform. "A young girl about nineteen, burning down villages and stealing goods from port towns and merchant ships. Traitor to us all, we had to become a port city because of that damn girl. She has destroyed many cities on the sea but we will catch her."
"That's all she did," the girl he was explaining it to smiled, "you're lucky." she saw the man arch an eyebrow at her. "Usually she kills the people along with the village Captain. Do you really think you and those twenty other me could've stopped her?" her smile widened, "Haven't you heard the tales the fisherman and bar flies speak of? Or are you too frightened to listen to tales. Might even think they're ghost stories."
"Tales?" he asked nervously, eyeing the girl. "No. I don't listen to that rubbish that they speak." His voice changed to a fake bravery. "And yes, we can stop her, it's only one pirate girl. Nothing hard about that at all, seeing she is alone and probably an extremely weak fighter." he laughed.
The girl snickered lowly. "Ah there's your problem." she sensed it in his voice change as well. "She's an exceptional fighter. Killed millions of men in one slash of her blade. All herself. So are you sure you can outwit her? Especially seeing how slow you are." He blinked and she grinned.
The captain laughed as he heard this. It was all rubbish to him, trash. No girl could, in fact, kill millions. It was impossible, very impossible. No one in any land had done this so what could make this the truth? The girl was lying, making up more trash probably to try and impress him. Or maybe it was to show how brave she was before his army came and took her away. She did look like the pirate girl in a way.
As painstakingly long as this was taking, the girl they were questioning remained steady. She shook her head slightly at the captain's comments as an urge rose from the bottom of her gut. Her hand layed on the hilt of her blade, cold cerulean eyes stared at him as if trying to telekinetically burn him from the inside. She would prove his theories wrong, being the one who was right, that it was possible. Not only has she seen it, she had done it. All she had to do was wait patiently for the other twenty men to arrive. She snickered again, gaining suspicion from her watchers. But she didn't care. They would share the fate of so many before them soon enough and that's all that matter.
About an hour later, the men arrived on another wooden ship. They ran up in an orderly line and waited for the captain's orders. They eyed the girl then the captain. They wondered what was going on since the girl wasn't in handcuffs or tied up with rope. She was just standing there like a free citizen when unlike the captain they had somewhat of an idea of who she was but they could not speak without the captain saying so. So their words remained quieted. If they had spoken they would have had a chance to escape their fate. But it was too late.
Without hesitating, she drew her blade slicing the mortals around her in one slash. Their limp corpses fell in a heap onto each other, sending immediate chills into the still living. Most froze in their spots as a few had the courage to run, armed with whatever weapons they were able to draw. Tripping over each other, they scrambled away causing the girl to laugh in satisfaction. Some were even getting wounded or killed by other's panicked actions. She simply sliced them to ribbons in one quick slash, crimson splashing out onto the warm earth and onto her dark outfit. The blade went through too fast to gain any blood at all. It was how she worked and she loved it with great satisfaction.
Another small snicker crept up her throat as she turned back to the captain. Stagnant in fear, he layed on the ground, breathing lightly, almost not at all. 'Is that enough for you?' her stare said without words. She walked the short distance to him and pointed the sword’s tip to his jugular. Her midnight eyes stared deeply into his mind, piercing its crevices. The blade traced gently down the middle, a trail of blood followed obeyingly behind. He gasped accidently pressing the tip further into his flesh, opening his trachea. The lack of air forced him to fall completely and the colour of his skin to flush and return blue. He didn't have the chance to even fight back; it was too quick that these events happened.
"Sorry," she half-grinned. 'That one was your damn fault." She squatted down wearing a grin. "Now," thinking aloud she made him more uncomfortable. "Should I do this quickly?" His eyes rolled back into his skull. "Why the hell not?" She forced the rest of the blade through, a small spurt of scarlet found its way out with the rest flowing freely around the cold metal, soaking into his clothing. She was almost laughing.
She thrust it out and shook it briskly once to rid it of the unworthy blood. Standing and glancing over what she had done, she sheathed the shined metal into the leather hold at her waist. Proof enough, she poured gasoline over the entire mass of corpses and lit a match. Jumping into a far docked ship, she tossed the burning splint of wood onto the port and watched it explode into a ball of Hell-sent flames. Casting the ship to float onto the sea, she layed on the bow watching the severed rope pull up the salty substance before returning her gaze to the growing fire...
~*~
Three long-passed years ago today that happened. A tiny ship sailed towards Rhys. Salt scented wind blew through the torn dark fabric of its sails. All it carried was a lone pirate girl, unaged from the incident. The name of that belonged to her was Rai Saimiricho. Plundering villages to survive and burning them down to leave no evidence is how she lived. Not as if evidence could help her many enemies kill her but it was something to do to pass her time. She did this alone. The crew she once had died long ago under unexplained circumstances. But it had no effect on her lifestyle. She could still kill in one slash as well as her blade remained unstained and sharp. Rhys is where she would find him, a man who knew...Well the elders who had sent her here hadn't said exactly just to come here and find a man...a human man of all people.
Shaking her head, Rai looked around. Her black-pink hair fell to her ankles, unbraided today. Being a half-breed of demon and elf gave her special features, including extremely slow aging, pointed ears that were super sensitive to noise and had very sharp hearing and pointed nails, large silvery white wings...and other in-human details. Her shined velvet eyes hidden behind cerulean blue contacts gazed out into the increasingly close horizon. The small fact she was being hunted by almost the entire world of slightly brave beings only made her laugh. Laughing to herself, she leaned on the higher most mast until the ship guided itself to Rhys. She yawned bored of sailing for days with nothing to do.
Finally before she fell asleep standing, she reached Rhys and jumped out onto the port, not making a sound in its creaky wood slats and leaving the ship unanchored she headed north to find the 'destined' one. He would be here or so she had been told. Rai lit her cigarette and smoked it as she walked. She thought of downing this village like she had done with Salias Port three years ago when she was ravaging lands.
As soon as she stepped one foot onto the new region's soil, she was stared at by the humans as if she had stepped on a bomb or a switch. Playing no heed to the many eyes that had fallen their gaze onto her; she lowered her hat in front of her own, shading them from the blazing sun. Her sword swung with her daggers with each step. She didn't mind the stares, it wasn't the first time this had happened to her.
Rai did business her way, meaning if you were human at any percent, you would be dead before you hit the ground. Every cell of her body hated humans each holding their grudge against the damned useless race. She never fit in with the humans, knowing she belonged alone and that's how it would always be. The language they spoke was even more irritating to the half-breed, causing her to plan on ridding the world of that and the race it belonged to soon enough. The heat difference from here and the snowy village she used to live in made her thoughts stir. She hadn't had a chance to adapt to the extreme heat. She had been traveling a lot since the downfall of the war and hadn't come here until now.
A young man, tall and muscular stood outside his hut. He had beautiful long black-platinum hair and green hued eyes that sparkled in the sunlight. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead as he dropped the logs he had been carrying onto a pile that leaned against the hut. Spotting Rai, she glanced back at him. He didn't know what to expect since no one had come to see him since the death of his parents years ago.
"Ah a woodsman." she said, noticing the salty smell emitting into the air from his sweat. Her nose wrinkled slightly. She thought she was used to the scent with all the oceans she had been on. "At least you are good with a sword or an axe or whatever. Whichever you prefer 'destined one' just as long as you're able to use it." she turned her rude stare to the small structure. "Nice hut. Build it yourself boy? Seems you have some skills that might come in handy with me along the way. If you manage to survive that is. The sea is harsh to many you see."
"What do you want disgraceful pirate?" he asked almost glaring. "What is it you desire in Rhys besides stealing and destroying it?" he quickly scanned her to determine how dangerous she was but alas he was unable to figure her out. Unlike any other visitor that had came to Rhys.
Her tail swayed in interest. "The search of the 'destined one' boy." she inhaled a drag of her cigarette before flicking it away. "The one to save us all from the coming darkness." her voice held no enthusiasm at all, showing how much she cared for the pathetic race. "That would be you--And if I choose to plunder and burn, it ain't none of your damn business woodsman!" her narrowed at him as if she wanted to kill him.
"But who are you?' he threw down his axe, sending it into the stump he sliced the logs on.”And why help the very humans you seem to hate so much? Why don't you go ask a demon or a vampire?" He glared again and picked up his axe and set another log to be spilt. "I'm busy at the moment girl!" He brought up the blade and back down again onto the wood, splitting it in two, casting aside the halves in both directions.
"I am Rai Saimiricho, sent by the damn elders! True I hate your race, as I told them, but they have chosen you as the one to do it." she sighed and watched another half of wood hit the pile, making one move slightly out of place before hitting the ground. "Listen Rin Orichima. You must do it. You--" but before she could finish that sentence he gave her an annoying glare that stopped her from speaking just then it seemed.
"Got no choice in the matter? Well," he stood up straight as he tossed aside the newly cut pieces into the pile now, "you're wrong and so are your elders. How do you know my name when I didn't even tell you?!" he yelled angrily, turning back to her. "Go back to your human free home and leave me be. I will not accompany you to some adventure that will probably get me killed or horribly maimed because you said."
Rai instinctively grabbed his arm gently, her dark eyes staring coldly at him. She explained in detail of what the elders told her. All except her part in the matter. She had no care in telling him what she had to do once they had reached their destination. Rai also mentioned that she would [and didn't want to be but was forced] be his guardian until they reached Athentha. Rin growled and pushed the half-breed away in anger, staring at her. Rai glared back, exactly deadly as if ready to strike and was pushed against the hut's front wall. Rin did this with ease.
She quickly slipped away and kicked his left shin. Taking an offensive stance as he turned, she quickly jabbed at his throat as a threat but somehow was stopped. Rin had blocked her attack with his left arm as if it was nothing. Rai looked shocked; in all her traveling she had never met a human who could block any of her attacks. He spoke softly that he wasn't going with her, not even if Hell froze over. He said he was staying in Rhys and not going on a crazy adventure with a half-breed who would probably want to kill him. Rai did the thing she did best, walk away. She would never bargain or try to with a human. It would be the last thing she ever did. She would die before doing that.
"You're making a mistake Rin..." she said as she stood on the path now, "if you just walk away now."
"Athenthian..." Rin said looking at her, "you have to be. You wear their soldiers’ outfit." Rai shrugged as if it didn't matter what she wore. In fact she had stolen the outfit from a dead solider. "What would an Athenthian be doing on a quest? Don't you guys have a war or something to occupy your time?"
"Bite me," she said. "I'm here because of you and because of the damn Lyonessians who don't know what the hell they are doing and decide to awaken evil." she said this bluntly and lit a cigarette blowing smoke in the air, as she took a long drag of it. "I am here because the elders decided it was time to do something about it--though it isn't them who are doing it. But the ones they like placing quests on because they are lazy."
"That doesn't answer my question you know." he said with a sigh. "Can't you at least tell me if you're Athenthian? Or maybe you're not and just stole that uniform so you could escape your land and become a pirate." Rai glared at him as if she was going to kill him destined one or not.
"Go to hell," she replied. "I am what of it human? Does it please you to have your questions answered so we can waste time so the Lyonessians can finish us all off? Or is it just for fun to ask pointless questions? I didn't just leave my land for adventuring--I left it to save everyone."
That was all she had left to say before Rin agreed to help. She told him to wait there while she secretly plundered the village. When she was about to throw the match, he stopped her. Displeased and disgusted with herself, Rai led him to her ship. They climbed into it and sailed off towards Hawthorne, city of dark. Rai steered her ship as Rin sat there. He looked up once or twice wondering why they headed to Hawthorne and not Athentha itself. Seems she wanted to waste time herself maybe? Questions ran through his head now but he knew Rai wouldn't answer them. It seemed she liked living and being alone. He had seen her ship when they had boarded it, a tiny ship built for one. But what happened to the crew? He wondered, did she kill them? Rai just shrugged them off, she hated personal questions. It made people know more about her and she wanted to live in mystery, she didn't need pointless questions that would follow. Rai knew it was better to not say anything.
Rin wondered if Rai was from Athentha. She hadn't said a word about it yet. And maybe she wasn't going to. She wore the solider outfit though it was tattered and torn especially the official seal. Plus blood was dried on it. Maybe she killed the man who was wearing it and stole away on his ship. He didn't know. Rai wouldn't answer him every time he asked about it. Maybe it was a land you weren't suppose to speak about? She avoided it because it was a personal question and she knew he'd keep asking questions after she said something. So Rai sailed on, keeping Rin at a comfortable distance. Rin wondered why she hated human so much and why she didn't kill him yet. Maybe she was waiting until they reached Hawthorne. Rin didn't trust her as much as she didn't trust him. Meaning it would be a long journey ahead for them.
"Elders reside in Hawthorne is that why we are going there?" Rin asked. "Instead of going to Athentha. A side trip and you said you hated wasting--then why you spend your time coming to Rhys and disturbing the peace besides scorching it to the earth?" Rai shook her head at that.
"To get you idiot. The elders want--wish to speak to us before we go and get ourselves killed. You know give us information and what not." she said. "To test you to see if you really are the chosen one. If not, then I'll just take you out with my blade and go look for the real one."
"Test?! What the hell? No one said anything about me being tested. You just like surprising the hell out of me don't ya? Rai you are a horrible distrusting lady! I want off this damn boat and to be back in Rhys immediately! Turn your ship around pirate girl! Well come on and do--"
"Shut up."
Rin growled as they reached the dock of Hawthorne. She pushed him along in silence. She led him down a tiny path, so small that they had to walk single file. Rin didn't enjoy being forced to see elders he had never seen or heard of before. And especially by a devious pirate who almost burnt down his home. The sun was beginning to set as the continued to walk, the wind blowing softly making the little puffs of grass buried on the dirt sway back and forth. Rai looked back at Rin and shook her head as she laughed. Leading up to the elders’ home, Rin wondered if Rai would burn down Hawthorne like Salias Port and Reyahanna Island. She pointed to an area, hidden behind a small fence, layed after was a building that the elders resided in. Rin followed her as she walked on, leading the way. 'Maybe.' he thought, 'it's a trap to kill me.' Rai shook her head. These elders didn't kill people; unfortunately they worked on the side of good and judged the living which annoyed her.
Walking up the dirt path, Rai looked back at Rin and shook her head again. She did not get why the elders needed a human. Humans were dishonest greedy selfish bastards to her and she didn't like them. Rin wondered why Rai didn't just attack him yet. She had proved she didn't like him back in Rhys when she attacked him to get him to listen to her. If she hated humans so much, why didn't she kill him? Was she obeying the elders’ orders or something? He didn't know. Rai tapped him as she opened the door. Rin walked in and she followed closing the door. The elders sat around a small table, candles were lit everywhere as Rai and Rin looked around. Papers, scrolls, books, pens layed scattered as the elders read on. Rin glanced at Rai as she leaned against the wall, arms crossed. The oldest elder stood up, his oversized cloaked covered him, lying on the ground as well. Rai glanced at him, her cold stare sent chills up his spine. He came near her, taking the contacts out of her eyes.
"Ah you have grown Rai," elder Yazahu said. "Since the peaceful days of Athentha, you have hidden your true self. Even after the death of your family, you have become even more distant to your own homeland. Even to us your council and guardians." He pushed the hair out of Rai's eyes. "But that doesn't exclude you from the horrible things you have done child and you must own your responsibility to them you see."
"Hmph. That's what you said last time I came here to see you lazy bums," Rai said coldly. Rin stood there jaw dropped seeing her talk so rudely to elders. "And what of it? If you say things like that, does it change things? I did what you asked, brought you a human to fulfill your damn prophecy. Now I am going since I finished my task and you seem to wish to have only humans do your dirty work. Good luck human."
"Rai sit!"yelled elder Yairu and she sat. "Now we have seen your destruction. The un-needed violence as you plunder and burned villages. The merciless killing of innocents just because--" Rai gave him a cold stare that made him change the subject. "You also are responsible for the murder of elder Alrea. You are to be judged--we will watch you as you accompany this human to Athentha, you show us one good deed and you'll be free of your crimes child--" he turned around as Rin watched on, unsure of what would happen next between the two and sighed.
"And if I don't help the human? You'll drag out a sentence only you see fit? Why don't you get off your asses and do something to help the lands for once elders." she said this without a care, making Rin gasp. He had never seen such disrespect towards another. "Besides who said you ruled over every living creature? You don't. But I'll definitely think about it." And with that it fell silent; no one made a sound, too afraid to.
Rai walked outside and down the path to a little store. Back inside, Rin stared at the elders, all eight of them. One of them walked towards him, his bony hand landed on Rin's shoulder as he grinned. He [the elder] made him sit down and stared at him. His name was Azarath, the eldest one. He had piercing green hued eyes and long grey hair. He made Rin nervous as he did anyone because no one was sure about him. He pulled a book out, an old one with the Athenthian seal on it. Rin watched Azarath flip through it and shake his head seems something was on his mind. He [the elder] threw the book at him and sat down now besides Rin. He sighed knowing that the human knew nothing.
"That child has been a nuisance since she was born. Following only herself and her selfish ways," Azarath said annoyed, "Now when we give her a chance to redeem herself, she throws it away as its nothing. If it wasn't for needing you, she wouldn't have come here at all; she would have remained a pirate like Yazu has told us." Rin said nothing; he didn't understand what the elder meant. Was he just used to bring Rai back, he didn't know. "But as long as you're here you should know why. It is only fair. You see, long ago during the beginning of the lands of Athentha, Rowan, Talia and Rhys, there were many people living peaceful and prosperous, all except Athentha. You see something--"
"Happened there," Yairu said. "It seems that the people there had found out a couple had been practicing black magic and dark magic. Since the lands were full of peace they outlawed that. So when they found out that this was happening they decided to kill them. They went to their house and did the horrible deed, and as it was being done, they placed a horrible curse on the land. Years later, it grew in the depths--"
"Of Athentha," Yazahu said. "It grew until it was able to take form of the monster known as Hamaguri. We have been able to keep it locked away but now it seems he has been able to break the seal and awaken. That's why we need you as did we Guriat, a human who becomes a hero and saves us. But humans don't know where Athentha is, only ones born there and that's where Rai comes in, she was born there."
Rin nodded understanding a bit. It seemed that in order to ever go back to Rhys, he would have to go Athentha with Rai and seal this Hamaguri guy back into the depths. Seemed easy to Rin...well that's what he thought but he was so wrong. Rin exited the building to eye Rai and a girl against the fence. He walked up to them; the girl was blabbering off about something that didn't seem important. Rai didn't look happy like usual. Rin approached them slowly, incase Rai decided to attack him again.
Rai looked at him coldly. Getting up, she sheathed her bloody blade and the girl next to her jumped a bit thinking she would be next. Rai laughed seeing her reaction. Rin didn't get it and shrugged as Rai shifted her eyebrow at him. The girl smiled and waved at the weird human as she now eyed him. The pirate walked ahead as the other two followed. She walked up to the man who owns a nice boat unsheathing her dagger. The man eyed Rai and grabbed his gun. But he was too slow as she sliced him in half without blinking. Rin's eyes widen, he didn't expect her to kill anyone. Wait a minute, he did see it coming. This was after all, a murderous plundering pirate.
Boarding the ship, Rin tapped Rai's shoulder and she turned around. The girl skipped after them. She said her name was Kisanata Oguchi and she wanted to join Rai's crew. Rai chuckled and agreeded raising her eyebrow at Rin when he asked. She laughed and shook her head, saying he was just a tag-a-long and wouldn't be needed afterwards. His eyes widen thinking of what the elders had said again. She will lead you there but I wouldn't trust her, she might have to kill you in the end... It rang in his ears. The elders took a good forty five minutes explaining about Rai. She patted his head chuckling and walked up to the steering wheel. Then as they sailed away, Hawthorne exploded in a big fiery explosion. Rai laughed as Rin shook his head. Kisanata's face gleamed with delightment. Rin knew the elders wouldn't like this but then again how could they? They were just oblitered by Rai. She didn't care as the tiny ship sailed on towards Ivy Moon. There in the huge town Rai would get the money to get them to Athentha. They didn't have much time, it was already hunting them down, making the humans turn against each other. Kisanata laughed when Rai said this. But she knew, there wasn't time to waste, that they had to get to Athentha before it fully got out. Then it happened, Kisanata had fallen into the ocean as she had tried to grab the string attached to the end of the ship. Rai pulled her out as seagulls began to gather around the mast.
"Damn seagulls," said Rai. "Always flying around. Gathering here means danger--meaning we're gonna run into a giant squid or worse." Rai looked at them. "You do know magick right?"
"What?!" Rin yelled, "Magick?! I'm a human, of course I don't! But you two must because you are demons--Great danger, just what I need after everything else."
"Rai, does he always bitch and whine like that? Damn hero, it’s just a squid. It won't harm you--much. Just bash you around a bit or eat you."
Rai just shook her head and pulled out explosives. She only had three explosives left and cursed loudly. Rin eyed Kisanata and watched her play with string. He thought that was odd. Rai looked out to sea as a squid appeared; she then looked at Kisanata and Rin. She shook her head and threw a grenade at the squid as it tried to eat the boat. It exploded one of its tentacles and it roared in pain. She yelled at them to attack the squid then.
Kisanata then got into action. She grinned and got close enough as she charged herself. Then she threw her arms out straight and lightning came out of them hitting the squid and another tentacle fell off. Rin grabbed his pistol, [because he's a human and they don't have cool weapons] and shot at it fast, more tentacles falling off. Rai threw another grenade at it as it grabbed her almost as a man came falling out of the other tentacle he was in. Kisanata grabbed a dagger and jumped onto the squid and ripped it into the head of it with the dagger blood squirting out of it as she jumped back onto the ship. It fell into the ocean dead. The man who fell onto Rai's boat stood up and looked at them. It seemed he knew one of them. He pulled out his sword and pointed it at Rai's neck as if he was pinning her so she couldn't move.
"Well, well if it isn't Rai Saimiricho, the mongrel pirate," the man said, "Feared pirate of the seas and her crew. A human and a demon--how cute. New recruits eh? So easy to replace the old ones isn't it Saimiricho? To let others die so you can continue to live so you can continue killing. How quaint."
"And you are?" Rai said annoyed. "And why is it any of your business what I do? I didn't choose them, the elders chose the damn human and this one tagged along so you can lower your god damn blade from me and you can go back to playing pirates. Children shouldn't be out here when dangerous things can swallow you whole."
"Don't remember do you Rai?" the man asked. "What a pity you don't remember the man whose home you destroy on one of your pillaging and burning adventures--The elders chose a pitiful and worthless creature over us? A mere human eh? They must be decrepit and out of their minds. We must go--"
"Can't." Rin said, "Genius here blew up the island." He pointed to Rai. "So you can't go back. Who are you anyways and why are pointing that at Rai? Did she blow up your home too?"
"I just said that idiot. And that's oblivious. Rai can't help blowing up people's homes. That one is destructive. Always has been. I am Sindane and who are you two? Rai's new crew I suppose or captives?"
"Rin Orichima and this is Kisanata Oguchi, we are friends of Rai and we are helping her sail to Athentha. That's where we're going." He got whapped upside the head by Rai and he rubbed his head. "What?"
"Yeah, just tell him everything so he can report it Rin. Idiot. Kisanata tie up our friend Sindane here. Can't let him go, he'll tell his leader on us. Plus where ever he is his no good brother is sure to be around. That means keep up your guards unless you want to die."
Kisanata grabbed the rope and wrapped it around Sindane. He let out a growl as Rai held her blade at him. She told Rin and Kisanata to leave them and she watched them go to their rooms. She had to deal with Sindane alone. It was a personal thing that she thought she had gotten rid of before and now came back to bite her in the ass. He looked up at her, her sword raised at his chest. Her eyes suddenly darted upwards at the man standing on the ledge of her boat. She lowered her blade, letting a low growl out. He walked past Sindane and up to Rai grabbing her by her neck tight.
He didn't let go as she stared at him. Rin and Kisanata watched as the man stared at Rai. She grinned, almost snickered at him. He unsheathed his blade and held it at her neck, as he ordered Rin to untie Sindane. Rin came out of hiding and obeyed hearing Rai called him an idiot and such. Then Sindane had tied him and somehow Kisanata [no one knows how that happened] up. He watched the man and Rai; he pushed his sword more into her neck. He bared his fangs at the pirate, showing his complete hatred of her and Sindane backed up against the ledge of the boat. The man pushed Rai against the door and now as he dropped his blade, he held her arms and hissed at her in hatred.
"A pirate now are you Rai," he said, "Before you were a ninja, why become a god damn pirate. Where you gonna go on some worthless adventure and find buried treasure like the real pirates? Or is this just all a god damn joke Rai?"
"How does everyone know my damn life?" Rai asked staring at the man, "Did the elders tell you everything about me? About being a washed up ninja I became a pirate? Or did you just fucking guess? If it was a joke, do you think the human would be here? And alive? No. So you and Sindane--"
"Rai don't tell me that. You never told me the truth about anything--especially when it dealt with you," he said baring his fangs. "Rai you let me die! You let that man come and make me this you bitch! Because you had to leave so suddenly. Because you couldn't wait to be a god damn pirate you left us all behind to die. I had to become something I didn't want to be because that man was trying to find you and he found me instead! I still remember it all."
"So you blame me for being so weak? Typical. So you're gonna kill me to get vengeance? So you can right the wrong deeds I have done? Just leave the human alone; he's the one the elders chose to save us all. Can your little brain understand that? Or should I leave you a small memo? Seeing how everything else I told you; you forgot already."
The man loosened his grip at those words. A human had been chosen instead of demons and elves. But now the elders wanted a human of all races. He looked at Sindane and he nodded. The man slapped Rai in the face and she fell to the ground. He told Sindane to sail the ship forward and told Rai he was taking over her ship. Rai was pissed as she growled; she ran at the man and bit his arm hard drawing blood. His cold eyes stared at her as Kisanata and Rin ran up the stairs and jumped onto his boat and sailed away towards Athentha. Rai had told them to do this if something like this happened. The man cursed as Sindane ran after them but he missed and fell into the ocean. Another man had jumped onto her boat now.
Each of them had her surrounded. Rai eyed each of them with a smirk. She grinned as she pulled out some ice needles and shot them at one of the men. He dodged it with his arm as they were stuck into it. The pirate placed her hands on the ground and chanted some words as two fire pillars came up from the ground and rammed into him from both sides. As they vanished, the man fell to his knees barely alive. She picked him by the neck and shook her head as she dug her hand into his chest and pulled out his heart dropping the dead body now. Then a man held a gun at her making her pause. Probably bounty hunters, she thought. After her bounty or just come to annoy her like years before--when Kharris tried to keep her on Ivy Moon. She raised her hand, throwing them into the wall. Standing up, Rai looked over the two men silent. One looked familiar.
"So you thought you could outnumber and outwit me eh?" Rai asked laughing, "Didn't work did it. Since he is dead, you let him die. Didn't lift a finger to help him when he was on fire or when he was about to die. How nice you people are. I hope you aren't his friends. That make you a bunch of sorry--Sindane, dead because of selfishness pity. Now I can only suspect one of you is Kharris and the other is a complete stranger." she eyed the other one and snickered. "So who are you?"
"Gareth and you must be Rai. And yes Sindane's dead, you killed him. We didn't save him because we weren't instructed to save weak pitiful people. And yes he is Kharris. We have come to find you and arrest you murderous pirate. Your crew jumped off and left you here for us." He came near Rai. "Even if we have to use force. The man leading us has asked for your capture. Kharris tie her up; we have a long way to go."
"You joined them eh Kharris? After all your talk of hatred for them you become one of them. Or where you just trying to impress me with your big talk? Lying to me, always were, and now you're helping them!" Rai growled and sat there glaring at them. "Traitor! I hate you Kharris! I hope you enjoyed it, it won't last long you know."
"Rai--why do you say such hateful things to me? Why are you so hateful? So bitter. I came all this way to find you and you turn on me. I didn't join them to help them, just to find you. You left me standing there after you left to become a pirate, never letting me ask to come with you. And so when I heard a group of people talking about you--" he paused and looked at her, "I joined them but I told them I would not help them. I didn't betray you, I would never. I am not that stupid. I had no--"
"Kharris you're a lier. You always were," Gareth said. "To protect yourself to find the girl, you lied and said you wanted to help us capture her. And now she's killed your loyal brother to try and stop us. But you won't be able to half-breed, my master--" he paused laughing and tied her up. "Won't allow you."
Gareth watched as the ship hit the dock. He forced the two off of it and walked down the dirt road. Rai looked at Kharris and shook her head. She was in disbelief and hatred him even more. She hoped that Kisanata and Rin were safe, and on their way to Athentha. Kharris sighed and walked ahead as did Rai. Gareth smirked as he led them to a small building. He made them walk in from a small back entrance. Rai and Kharris wondered what would happen next.
~*~
Rin pulled on Kisanata's sleeve and stood up. They had reached a small port called Birch Port. Southeast of Ivy Moon it layed. Rin looked around seeing people that he didn't recognize. Kisanata eyed a fruit stand and skipped up to it merrily. Rin followed cautiously and watched her. She picked up an apple and ate it as she asked for directions to Ivy Moon. Rin hit his head and yelled. Kisanata said she was going to save Rai, since they were friends. Rin said Rai wanted them to go to Athentha.
Kisanata shook her head. She liked Rai and wanted to help save her unlike Rin. Rin grabbed Kisanata and dragged her to the dock and stole a bigger ship. Kisanata, who wasn't very bright, had done the smart thing and gathered supplies. Rin sailed the ship towards Ivy Moon because he realized, Kisanata was a demon who could kill him easily. So they had to go save Rai. As the ship sailed, Rin walked around the ship, humming. He was trying to come up with a plan.
"Rin what are you doing?" Kisanata asked, "Do you think we'll reach Ivy Moon in time to save Rai? I wonder why those goons kidnapped her--did they kill her yet? Hopefully she spilled lots of blood. What a sight to see, blood everywhere."
"Is that all you ever think about? Death and spilling of blood? I mean can't you at least think of something cheery for once Kisanata? And I really don't know but hopefully she is alright."
"Pretty much, besides killing. Rai hates your kind and yet she's allowing you to travel with us to Athentha. I think she is the crazy one; she should have killed you by now. But then again we would be short one hero."
Rin sighed as the ship sailed on. Why did Rai spare him if she hated people? Besides being the hero, he had no use to them. Rai was a complicated half-breed, who sole purpose was to ericate the entire human population before it did her. Rin felt kinda lucky she didn't kill him but it wasn't that much. He had no home to go to now; people had seen him leave with a demon, meaning he could become one himself. So he could stay with Rai or maybe they would leave him on an island perhaps. But then he realized what Rai had said before. He was a tag a-long and wouldn't be needed. Did that mean he was going to die? He didn't know.
The tiny ship reached a silent side of the island marked Ivy Moon by mid afternoon. Rin and Kisanata jumped off the boat as it sank. Kisanata smiled as she waved goodbye to the ship and he hit his head again. They walked towards an inn to rest and eat. Rin sat on the bed as Kisanata layed down and instantly fell asleep. Rin's thoughts went back to why he was even here. Did this adventure mean he was going to die at the end of it when they were done? He had no idea as he layed down. He thought a good night's rest would ease his mind.
~*~
"Now it's time to meet the one who will choose your fate pirate wench," Gareth said. "You get to die here in the place you left so long ago. Isn't that nice that you'll finally be out of our way so we can let Hamaguri out. And of course you'll be after Kharris for betraying us. Ah here he comes now."
A shadow layed there for a minute then began to form. The shadow formed into a figure who sat in a throne like chair. He was completely formed, his big black wings rested against the wall. His black eyes stared at Rai and Kharris as he stood. His long black hair fell against his back as he took his cloak off. Gareth bowed then left the room. Rai walked up to the man growling and Kharris held her back. The man laughed and she bared her fangs hissing at him. Kharris tried to calm her down but it didn't work. The man walked up to her and grabbed her by the neck.
Kharris moved back as he held Rai in the air. She kicked at him but dodged it and laughed at her. Rai bit the man's arm and latched on to it. He punched her in the stomach and she gritted her teeth in pain. Kharris told him to stop and the man placed her down. He then layed his eyes on Kharris, throwing him into a wall hard. Rai, a bit dazed sat up and looked at him as he punched Kharris again and again in the stomach. She grabbed ice needles from her bag and threw them at the man. They pierced his cloak, as pieces of fabric fell off. She pulled out earth needles and threw those at him too. The man yelled in pain as Rai crawled over to Kharris. She growled.
"Enough!" she yelled. "This isn't necessary to fight. You will just explain why we are here eh? So we can leave and get on with saving the world." She pulled a cigarette out and lit it, taking a long drag of it and blew a perfect smoke ring in the air. "Frankly you're boring the hell out of me."
"Rai do you know who the hell he is? And he just beat us. Do you go around just saying anything to anyone?" Kharris said, staring at her as she smoked her cigarette. "He's the leader of Ivy Moon now."
"And your point is?" Rai asked, "So what? He is a leader--I've killed leaders and burned their villages. Kharris it's no big deal of what people are as long as I can kill them and that's the fun part."
"Aha so it is you pirate," said the man. "Then I should kill you right here. But then again if you're who you say you are, then those damn elders sent you. Why would a pirate come by her own free will?" he laughed, "Gareth told me of your betrayal Kharris. How you only used us to find the girl. When you said you would join us you were lying then as you were lying on Ivy Moon. Did you think I'd never find out eh? Too bad for you isn't it?"
"Are you all dumb?" Kharris asked, "I said in the beginning I am no joining just looking for a ship to borrow to find Rai--not to capture her. And besides the elders didn't speak of you, but the evil in Athentha dumbass. So what if Gareth said anything--He'd rather kiss your ass than fight us both."
Rai laughed at that as she put her cigarette out in the man's cloak. He slapped her in the face and she laughed even more. Kharris stared at the man and shook his head. He wondered how Rai changed since she left Ivy Moon. Also he wondered why Saku brought them to such an idiotic man who had no damn clue what he was doing. Kharris chuckled and shook his head. Rai watched the two and wondered if the man was infatuated with Kharris. She began to laugh at that thought. Kharris raised his eyebrow at her now.
And so did the man. Rai shrugged and pulled out another cigarette and lit it. She smoked it slowly and kept her eyes on them both. Kharris held his sword at the man and he laughed throwing it at the wall. Rai shook her head and decided to leave when the man grabbed her by her neck and held tight. Kharris took a step and he just tightened his grip. He stopped and bared his fangs at Kharris then laughed. Rai flicked her cigarette at the man and it hit his eye. Kharris and Rai laughed as he screamed like a girl and in pain. After a few minutes, he collected himself and threw her again, into a wall. Kharris then yelled and everyone froze.
"Enough!" Kharris yelled. "This is just wasting time! Unless that's your intention then you better hurry the hell up and tell us why we are here!" He looked at Rai and then at man in anger. "I had enough of your stupidity and bullshit am about to leave!"
"Kharris, don't you remember the legends of Hamaguri?" the man asked. "How he had awaken because the hero didn't get there in time. Well I'm keeping you here until he awakes in Athentha. But seeing Gareth didn't bring him here, you will have to do." He bared his fangs as Rai sat up and shook it off. "Now you get to be my dinner." he laughed again.
"Great. Just freaking great. Some asshole punk takes over my ship, attacks me, makes my crew run off and takes us here to meet up with a complete dumbass who wants to kill us so he can revive Hamaguri. Well you can go back to Hell, dinner has been cancelled."
Rai smirked as she pulled out some fire needles and threw them at the man. They had burned his skin as the flesh slowly healed. She muttered seeing this and clapped her hands together. As she did this, two wind pillars slowly rose from the ground and stood inches from the man. With a wave of her hand, the pillars rammed into him, shattering his bones. But yet the man stood. It irritated her to the point of drawing her blade and running at the man. She jumped up the wall like a blazing wind and flipped in the air over the man, as she did she slashed him down his back as she landed hard on her feet. The man coughed up blood as he fell to the ground dead. Kharris stared at her in amazement.
Kharris followed her as she left the building. He was silent. Rai had changed and he didn't know why. It bothered him though. He loved her, didn’t she? Maybe he thought that she thought he had abandoned her. But how? She had left without him; she had left him on Ivy Moon without saying a word. Or maybe he thought she knew he would get in the way of her new lifestyle. He didn't know as they entered an inn, as Rai rudely grabbed a key to a room and walked up the stairs. Kharris followed still silent and entered her room, slamming the door shut. Rai looked at him, cigarette hanging in her mouth. She said nothing, hair in her eyes until she pushed it away.
"So now we wait until Kisanata and Rin show up. Then we will head to Athentha," Rai said. Then she looked at Kharris. "So why are you hanging around? You can rule here and leave me to my so called pilgrimage like before Kharris. Don't worry about me; I will manage like usual, unless your desire is to come---which never happened before now."
"Damn it Rai, here we go again with that bullshit," he said almost yelling. "You seemed like you wanted to go by yourself. You didn't even ask me!" Kharris leaned against the wall, arms crossed, he looked away. "Why rule something that wasn't mine to begin with? That doesn't make me happy or keep the one I want here? Rai I didn't want you to go but you didn't let me come with you. And that is why--why you changed?"
"No. Not that reason Kharris." she got up walking up to Kharris and lifted his chin so their eyes met. It was the first time in years both could see each other's eyes so perfectly, so clearly. Rai didn't like what was happening. That she was opening up and having emotions again after carefully closing her heart. "Remember what I said when I was here, beside you in this goddamn room--about the humans? I returned to Rowan to discover it was scorched. That it was reduced to nothing. My home was destroyed by humans. For they had burned it down and killed the race, it was horrible."
Kharris held her as outside it began to rain. She looked outside and shook her head. Kharris went downstairs to retrieve dinner. She lit a cigarette and sat on the bed. Pulling out the pouch of money, she dumped it on the bed and counted it. She smiled know the money was stolen from the man. It was six thousand and five hundred coins. She leaned against the wall. Looking out the window she saw the rain, meaning she was stuck her for the night. She shuddered and then looked straight ahead again. Smoking her cigarette she thought about Kisanata and Rin. Were they alive or dead? Did they make it to Athentha? What she didn't know was they were down the hall in the last room. Putting her cigarette out, she placed the money back in a small pouch on her belt as lightning danced across the sky. Thunder rumbled fiercely and Rai sighed again knowing she was stuck in a room with Kharris for the night. The doorknob turned and Rai stood up and held her dagger as Kharris reappeared with food. Letting a sigh of relief out, she let go of the dagger dropping it.
She remembered the last time it snowed in Athentha. All the children and parents excited to see the snow but not her. For she was an orphan now and she didn't want to stay in this village. Rage filled her watching the children make snowmen and snow angels and whatever else and she didn't want to remember it anymore. And so she left. She couldn't stop thinking of Athentha. She didn't want to go back---why did she have to go back there? It was a long time ago. She put her cigarette out on the window as the moon came out. Rai sat there all night as Kharris slept. She sat there until morning came and the sun shone. As Rai and Kharris exited their room so did Kisanata and Rin. A wtf look appeared on Rai's face as she blinked and rubbed her eyes. She didn't believe it was them. Kisanata bumped into Kharris as she had tripped over her own feet and fell. Rin helped her up as Rai shook her head again. Kisanata laughed.
"Did I tell you to come here or got to Athentha?" Rai asked, her eyebrow rose. "Now we have wasted time. Because you idiots came here. I told you to go to Athentha. Dumb--I mean Rin here, as chosen by the elders of laziness and stupidity, has to stop whatever is in Athentha. You didn't listen like usual. And wasted time because you wanted to rescue me. When you know I can handle myself. Figures, since he is a human and Kisanata is an airheaded monkey demon. Do you really want the world to end--wait don't answer that."
"It wasn't my idea," Rin said. "I told Kisanata to go ahead to Athentha but she wanted to rescue you. And she's a demon; I didn't want her to kill me. So we came here and of course we are all together again. Isn't that wonderful?"
"Excuses. Whatever," Kharris said. "Let’s just go before I kill the human. Like Rai said Athentha can't save itself unfortunately. So let’s get a move on. Hero eh? He doesn't look like one at all." Kharris shook his head. "Looks like a scrawny meal than a hero."
Rai laughed and walked ahead. Kharris, Kisanata and Rin followed as a clinking noise could be heard but she ignored it. Kharris looked suspiciously at Rai but didn't say anything at all. Kisanata skipped along humming as Rin sluggishly followed. He was trapped among demons---a smart one, a stupid one, and one who killed humans. Yet, he still followed. He was being forced to continue, for he was the damn unlucky hero. What was in Athentha that would awake or need him? Maybe Rai kept this hidden from him because she feared he would abandon the quest to save her home and all the lands. Rai never even told him why the elders even needed him in the first place. Why didn't she mention that to him? He didn't know as the four walked to the port now.
Rai looked around for a boat and found one. It was bigger than the last one they had stolen. Kharris watched as she climbed into the ship to inspect it for holes and other damages plus the quality. Kisanata climbed in after her noticing the string. Her eyes went wide and she attacked it. Rin shook his head and got in as well, leaving Kharris standing there on the dock until he reluctantly got in. Fortunately the ship was of Rai's expectations and she untied the boat from it. The ship sailed off as Kharris walked up to Rai and slapped her in the face. She fell to the ground as he glared at her hatefully. Looking up, pushing the hair out of her face, Rai growled, Kisanata held Rin back noticing the tension between the two and dragged him into the kitchen.
"That was your god damn plan Rai?" yelled Kharris. "To come here and kill the leader of Ivy Moon?! Then steal a boat and leave? What messed up plan is that? What did it accomplish? Did you also burn down Salias Port and Reliyah too? Are you going to destroy Ivy Moon as well Rai?! Or just let it be?! Tell me what you plan to do next murderer!"
"Shut up Kharris," she said leaning against the wall, and lit a cigarette. "And so what if I did? Can't change the past will it? So just sit your ass down and be happy you're alive. But if you desire it so, I can kill you." She flicked an ash from her cigarette into the ocean. "After my cigarette of course."
"Bitch," he said crossing his arms. "Do you enjoy it every time you do it?" His voice calmer now. "And you hate everyone don't you? Some life eh?" Kharris laughed as he watched Rai. "Killing innocent people and burning villages, how exciting pirate girl. Half-breeds are not good at many things nor are they bright. Especially you Rai. Do you really believe burning down villages and killing people plus whatever the hell you do--" his voice softened, "eases the pain you keep burrowed deep inside of you? Do you?'
Rai flicked her cigarette of the boat and walked away. She glared at Kharris hatefully, her eyes cold and burning with fury. How dare he ask that kind of question to her? He had no right to ask such personal questions. She walked below deck and sat against the wall. Kharris leaned against the wall and sighed, it was their second fight since their reunion and he had said things he realized now, he shouldn't have. Shaking his head, he didn't move but pondered what had happened in Rowan that Rai had seen to make her so cold and hateful. He noticed Kisanata and Rin walking out of the kitchen, Kisanata stuffing her face as usual. Rin sat next to Kharris and looked at him. Kisanata sat on the other side of him still eating.
Rin looked ahead at the sky as Kisanata ate her apple. Kharris watched her, puzzled as what she was doing here in the first place. Probably tagging along like him to help Rai or maybe just by free will. He didn't know as she came up. Rai didn't say a word and she was extremely calm. But she didn't look at Kharris as the ship sailed on and she returned to below deck. He got up, leaving the human and monkey demon and walked down to where she was. He opened the door and walked in. Kisanata kept herself busy by playing with string and Rin watched her out of boredom. Inside Rai sat in a chair unable to read the map. Kharris silently shut the door and looked at her. He saw the map and figured she was having trouble.
"Rai, look I didn't mean what I said," he said watching her. "But I do mean you need to lighten up and let it go. What happened that changed you? Weren’t you who said if we open up does it make a difference? It does and now you have to do that Rai. Was it Akira's death that made you so cold and bitter?"
"Go away; can't you see I'm busy?' Rai asked, not looking up from the map. "Besides it’s none of your damn business. So go back outside and let me figure this damn map out. It’s not as easy as it seems Kharris."
"Lemme guess--you can't read it can you?" he said snickering. "Lemme see it and I can help you. It cannot be that hard can it Rai?" Kharris tilted his head and stood there, crossing his arms. "Do you hate me now because of what I said? Geeze not a very good thing to do, keeping rage in."
"You can leave now Kharris; I don't need you to babysit me. I am the captain remember? So leave before you leave worse than you came in." She threw the map down. "You're annoying me now and I'm trying to concentrate. We have to make plans as well. Go bother the human will you?"
Kharris sighed and opened the door. He looked back at Rai, she was different and this proved it. Whatever he had said had only made everything worse and he knew there was nothing to fix this. He left, slamming the door shut behind him. She looked up returning to the crumpled up paper map and crossed her arms, shaking her head. Outside Kharris walked into the kitchen to find Kisanata eating again. He sat against the wall and held the orange. He peeled it slowly now, his eyes glaring at Kisanata almost. But why would he do that? It wasn't her fault Rai was like that. Kisanata sat next to him and poked his orange a bit. It squeezed juice at her and she whimpered. Kharris chuckled and shook his head at her. She tilted her head then hugged him tight. He sighed as she let go getting serious now.
"It's Rai isn't it?" asked Kisanata. "Has to be. You haven't been this down since you two haven't been getting along with each other. I've seen you two yelling at each other like it was casual. But you have to admit your strong feelings about her are pushing her away and making her angry. So just move on and find someone else. Easy as pie."
"Kisanata, you were spying weren't you?" he asked shaking his head eating a piece of orange. "Again. Geeze you need to get a hobby besides playing with string. Rai has nothing to do with this. I can't help if she is a bitch who hates everyone. That I can't change her feelings no matter what I do. It's just useless."
"It's like an orange," she said. "An evil orange--you peel away the layer you can't eat and then you get a new layer, the one you can. Just gotta peel her hateful peel away and you will get the old Rai back. Easy right? Tah-dah I'm--"
"Don't say genius," Rai said standing in the doorway. "Because you are not a genius, you are an airheaded demon!" Kisanata got up and left the kitchen. Rin decided to stay. No one knows why he did. "An orange eh? Figures you'd eat them, humans do too." She glared at Rin. "We are almost at the destroyed island called Rowan. Then you're all on your own. I quit. I rather be damned then spend another minute with you idiots. Have fun there."
"Rai!" yelled Rin. "You have to help me. The elders said so. Besides you're the only one that knows about Rowan. You can't just strand us there. That would be in honorable to do." He walked up to Rai and looked at her. "Are you really that hateful to leave us there alone?"
"She is," Kharris said, crossing his arms. "She'll leave us to die like always. Human or not. Besides she is an ungrateful pirate." He looked at Rai, her back turned from him. "One I use to love--now I am not so sure anymore. But she'll leave us there and go back to being a pirate."
Rai glanced over her shoulder at Rin and shrugged. Then she walked to the ledge and looked at the open seas thinking about what Kharris had said. She lit a cigarette and shook her head. A puff of smoke sailed across the sky as the ship sailed. Rin didn't like them fighting. But when Kharris said such cruel words that stung her already wounded heart of course she would fight back with him. It didn't matter if they were demons just didn't like each other meant they had to fight. Rai then threw the cigarette in the ocean and turned around silent. Kharris didn't move as she walked past them and into the captain's corridors. Kharris hung his head.
"Go after her," said Rin. "Unless you want her to hate you forever Kharris. Besides maybe you can persuade her to stay. You're the only one who can make Rai come to her senses. What the hell happened between you two?" Rin sat down and looked up. "Did you do it to her?"
"No. And I tried talking to her. But she doesn't listen to me human," he said leaning against the wall. "It happened after she left Ivy Moon, that's all I know. Rai hasn't said anything else about it. So I don't believe her mind can be changed Rin. I know she has changed, she has grown colder and hateful, when she use--" he paused eyeing Rai on the top of the ship watching the ship sail. "Well I can try but it may not work."
Rin nodded as Kharris walked up the ladder and sat next to Rai. She said nothing as she stared ahead. Kharris noticed she put her head against her knees and looked at him. He rested his head on his arms and stared at her. He wondered if she was alright. She didn’t answer him as the ship sailed on. Kharris poked her and smiled a bit. Rai didn’t budge as a small crest fell out of her pouch. It fell next to the second crest that belonged to Akira. But who was the other’s crest? He handed it to Rai and she gripped it tightly.
Kharris didn’t understand this. But he said nothing of the matter and stood up. Rai grabbed his arm and looked at him. He didn’t move as she let go. Looking down she wiped her eyes and he picked up Akira’s crest. He handed it to her, and turned around. He didn’t understand this and knew he failed. But she stood up then and looked at him lowering her head.
“They’re all dead,” Rai said as she cleared her throat. “My whole family killed by human hands. It burned to the ground when I returned. Rowan had become like Athentha, a wasteland. I couldn’t stop it.” She sighed and placed the crest in the pouch along with Akira’s crest. “And it was too late for me to help any of them Kharris. It was all my fault for leaving them alone to find…”
“No, you’re lying. They aren’t dead. They can’t be. I was there a month ago and everyone was alive. Humans aren’t allowed in Rowan,” he eyed her; she kept her head down and remained silent, “the rule made by the king…you should know. You lived there remember? Please tell me it’s not true.”
“It’s true Kharris,” she said standing up. “Humans broke into Rowan and destroyed it all. No one survived the massacre and burning. Now if you’ll excuse me, this will be the last place I sail with you. I quit, remember?” she walked away but before she could he grabbed her arm. “Don’t you hate me for what I did to your precious home? I killed Sindane. I destroyed everything in your life. Don’t you despise me?”
Kharris didn’t let go and sighed. “No. I have forgiven you time and time again for what you did. Sometimes I did hate you and other times I didn’t. It wasn’t the way I wanted him to go but it doesn’t matter. Like you, he betrayed me so many times. He hid and lied about so many things, just like you. Maybe in a way, killing off Sindane was like killing off a part of you…like the orange. Rai you can’t leave…you are Rin’s guardian. Don’t you remember? And besides, deep in your heart you know you don’t want to go.”
Rai told him she would have to think it over and he nodded. He walked back down to the bottom of the ship. As he reached the corridor leading to the bedrooms, he stood there staring at the bedrooms. One was his and Rai’s and the other one belonged to Rin and Kisanata. He stood there thinking about what Rai had said. He wanted to understand the position she was in…that he was in. She wanted to leave the whole journey, to abandon the quest when they hadn’t even gotten there yet. Maybe things in the past clouded her judgment in so many ways she couldn’t continue. But that couldn’t be the case, for she wouldn’t care if they lived or died. Just about herself it showed time and time again to him. He wanted to throw her against the wall and knock some sense into her skull. Show her that she had to finish what she had started. Even if she was a pirate, she couldn’t just sail away and leave her problems. Nor would drinking take them away. And she had a habit of doing that too.
Kharris stood there staring at the door again and then shook his head. He decided that it wasn’t his fault that she was like that. And so he knew where the blame went to. He also wanted to strangle Rin for the whole damn idea of even trying to talk to her but didn’t. They unfortunately needed him alive. So he went into Rin’s room and pushed him against the wall and growled. He punched him in the face and then walked out. Rin didn’t get it as the ship crashed into the island of Rowan. Rai jumped off the boat as Kisanata, Kharris and Rin followed, he was still rubbing his cheek. Seeing that it could be a trap, Rai decided to divide them. She took Rin with her and Kisanata and Kharris were to go ahead. She was taking a different route, knowing that the air was evil here since she left; in case one of the groups got caught the other could come and save them. But as they walked Kharris and Kisanata had bumped into them and she sighed. They walked up towards the city when they bumped into some elves. They gawked at the group wondering if they were the ones Katabami said were coming. Rai looked at them.
“Wait,” she said to the elves, “Is this Rowan, that we are in or did we miss the land by accident? Please we have to find Rowan we are on a quest to save the world.” Rai saw the elves looking at her funnily and she wondered what was with that. “So are we lost or in the right direction?”
“Yes.” said one of the elves, “You are in Rowan. It is t