Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Information Kiosk
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. how hard is it to build a site like this?
Shizukesa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote        
im wondering if a person was interested in making their own avi based site simmular to this sites system how hard is that and what tools requerments would be needed to actualy get one live? how much will all this cost?

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
I don't know about any of the technical aspects behind Mido, honestly. I work on a few things through filezilla and the rest I do online.

Take the workload into consideration though. If you want anything of quality, you're going to have to spend hours on things that you'd naturally never even think of. Just adding a commons set to the site takes days at a time, and that's only on my end, without actually designing them. Then there's the concept designs and ideas for items, the plot, the layout, NPCs, etc. It takes months to plan out events, and it seems like no matter how well we manage our time and resources, we're always running short somewhere.

It's a lot of work; definitely not something that you can dedicate a few hours a day to. In fact, I'd even go to say that during some demanding times of the year I'm on Midorea for more hours than the average workday, and I'm just an assistant.

Factor in the fact that you have to mingle with the community too. You need to learn members on a personal basis to help form a community in the first place, then go to the next level where you have to figure out what kinds of things appeal to them. Then there's the most difficult: feedback. You have to be very open to constructive criticism and even willing to completely scrap a project if it's just not right for what you need. Running a website takes a lot of patience, dedication and talent.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, don't get me wrong. XD I just know that I'd personally hate to put a lot of work into something only to find out that it was not only insufficient, but worthless in the end. But that's all that I can really say on the subject. D:

Shizukesa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote        
How do you get a forum/message board like this a list of companies would be nice and other tools or sites etc that might be helpful.

Maeve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote        
I'd suggest simply googling PHPbb forum or something like that (and ADR, if you are looking for something that look like a RPG and/or avatar site).