Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Theater
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic Steampunk Game (will find a name sooner or later)
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote        
Rhys heard the soft whimpering of the injured creature first. the soft noise echoed slightly in the valley between the mountains, alerting Rhys to the pain. The young man froze immediately, his entire being waiting for the next noise. Another whimper sounded, and Rhys started climbing the steep slopes of the valley wall.
A violent caw ripped through the silence. It was the same creature, trying to scare Rhys away. He'd startled it, and it thought he meant it harm. Rhys just continued clambering over boulders until he found the wounded creature.
It was a Pterodactyl...sort of. These particular creatures were descendants of the pterodactyls, having evolved into a more batlike form. The snout was softer, nowhere near as pointed, and it was a forest green, and it's leathery skin was covered in a soft fuzz. The animal was one that Rhys had worked with many times: fierce and wild from birth, but this one was born in captivity. The scarring around one of its ankles was proof of that. Some idiot had released the creature after it had resisted the taming process.
Rhys gritted his teeth at the stupidity of the pter's previous owner. If a pter was released from captivity, it was far too brash, and generally attacked creatures much, much larger than itself. This one had almost undoubtedly done that, and it had paid for its stupidity. The skin on the pter's right wing had been shorn through, completely taking the animal's flight.
Rhys gathered the pter up in his arms, ignoring the creatures struggles, and with only the slightest hesitation, dashed off to the nearest civilization: the archaeology site. It was half an hour's run away, but Rhys made it twenty minutes.
"I need medical supplies!" he gasped to the nearest person, a woman with short red hair and mismatched eyes.

ninjamaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote        
Gods, Gem thought, why on earth did I think workin' at the site would make my life easier? She was at the archeological site now, sitting on a stone just outside as she struggled to summon the energy to move. She'd gotten the job here, and it was really a bit of a lucky break, with regular hours and, gods! regular pay. It meant she worried a little less about Robin and herself, and she'd even been able to buy him the new shoes she'd been wanting to for so long. But it also meant that she had to do all of her healing and her rebel work in her off-hours, before or after her 10-hour shifts at the site. Which translated to Gem falling into bed well into the witching hour most nights, and waking before dawn to make it down to the site just as the sun began to blush the foothills. Gods, Gem thought again, rubbing her temples tiredly. She'd have to think of some way of making up lost sleep, or she'd soon be nodding off at her job, which wouldn't do at all. Or worse, she'd nod off while trying to stitch a cut on some poor sod's arm, and have him bleedin' out instead!

Gem was pulled from her thoughts at the view of a figure hurtling over a rise and down towards site HQ. He appeared to be carrying sommat dark green and oddly-shaped. He seemed to be heading toward the site member nearest him, a redheaded woman, but his path took him nearer Gem as well. As he got closer, the young man cried out, and Gem caught just one word. It was enough. Gem bolted upright and ran at a full sprint to where the man stood, panting. "Healin'? Tha's me your lookin' for, lad," Gem called out as she reached him. She realized immediately what the problem was. It was a little pter he was carrying, and its wing had been shredded like paper. Gem put a hand on the young man's shoulder and continued speaking. "M'name's Gemini Starstone, and I been trained in healin' since I came out my momma's womb. C'n I help you with tha' poor li'l ptero, there?"

Bouncy Heart Bouncy Heart Thank you Purochen! Bouncy Heart Bouncy Heart
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote        
Rhys would have sighed in relief if he had any control over his lungs. Instead, he nodded frantically as he sucked in air.
"She was attacked," he finally managed, "I dunno by what though."
Rhys looked at the woman, Gemini. Shorter than him, by quite a bit, and young. Rhys doubted that she was much older than him, and her speech declared her a city girl. The pouches on her belt screamed healer though, and she certainly seemed confident enough, so Rhys decided to trust her, momentarily.
"Rhys Cooper," he said, introducing himself, before turning back to the pter. Back home, Rhys probably could have taken care of this; every animal house comes equipped with top-notch medical equipment, and he'd worked with tons of injured animals. But this was the mountains, and Rhys never packed more than food when travelling through here, in case of bandits. He knew the power that herbs had (a healer much like this woman had saved his life from a wild beast more than once), but this...
"Can you help her?"

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote        
Val stood there quietly listening to everything going on. Originally this new comer Rhys as he had introduced himself had been dressing her. Of course she had no idea how to fix an animal so she was no help really. So she was content on being ignored as it was.

"I guess I'll just be on my way then seeing as my help isn't needed." She said after a few moments of starring blankly at the unfolding situation. She turned on her heal and wandered in a different direction talking to herself about something random as usual.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote        
"My... she was a funny woman." Pandora looked up at Marcus. "Well, let's go back to the archives. We'll request a transfer some time today." The robot wheeled her out of the mail room and back towards the archives.

As he did that, she opened the letter. As she suspected, one of the students wrote it for him. Judging from the handwriting, it was Elliott. She smiled. How were those guys doing? It was a typical "here's what's going on at home" letter. They were both doing quite well for themselves, as she has been sending home half of what she made at the site to them, and business was coming along nicely. The boys were missing her, though. She grinned, folding the letter back up and putting it in the envelope.

As she did that, she saw Valencia and a few other people. She had Marcus wheel her over to the fellow inventor. "What's happening here?"

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote        
"This gentleman here ran up with an injured animal. Before I could really do anything though the healer came up to help." Val said offhandedly. She really wasn't that great at socializing with people. She should have been growing up in a rich family and the like but she had always avoided the large crowds.

"I decided since I wouldn't be much help to them, and would most likely get in the way that I would take my leave. Seeing as I am better at fixing machines and the like." She continued, looking back at the other two that were standing there. She felt sorry for the creature but couldn't really do anything more than look at it and be confused.

ninjamaos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote        
Gem nodded shortly. "I'll see what I c'n do." She led the young man to a convenient rock and sat him down. Gem knelt on the ground at his feet and took a good, long look at the little pter. The papery skin of the wing was mighty torn up, but it looked like the delicate bones and tendons beneath were mostly intact. Gem carefully raised a hand and took it to the pter's finely haired skin, stroking it gently in the hopes of calming it. When the little creature made no move to lash out, Gem took a firm hand to the base of its injured wing, and with the other she began to gently explore the wound. Her hands confirmed what she'd thought; a single fractured bone was the worst of the injury. Easing the wing back across Rhys' lap, she searched her pouches for needle and thread and her green goop to numb the pain. As she searched her pouches, Gem realized with a dawning horror that she must've used up the last of the painkiller on a burn she'd treated the day before, and she hadn't gotten around to making any more. The waifish healer had a sudden urge to bang her head repeatedly against something hard. She sighed, narrowly defeating the urge, and looked up into the young man's jade-green eyes. "We're doin' this the hard way, I'm afraid."

A very long half-hour later, Gem was exhausted and covered in blood (both her own and the pter's: the little thing proved to have wickedly sharp claws and teeth), but immensely satisfied. The pter's wing was sewn up and roughly splinted, and the creature sat quietly at last, looking innocent as the new dawn. Gem wanted to laugh at the irony, but was so tired that she nearly ended up crying instead. "Bleedin' wee things," Gem growled, wiping her forehead with a bloody wrist, "too cute to resist, but too feisty to make my life any less difficult."

Atraea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote        
By this point, Al had regained her composure some, and was headed toward the administration building, hoping to catch Thomas, and clear up a few questions she had about the artifact she was supposed to find. On the way, she looked across the camp to see Gem, one of the other workers and an unfamiliar looking young man. Gem was covered in blood and holding pf of those lizard-bird things, something Al was generally terrified of, but this one seemed to be a bit weakened. She started to head over to see what was up before she noticed three other figures looking onward a ways away.

"Hm? Looks like Valencia...recognize the hair an' the goggles but who is...?" Al slowed her pace and squinted, before she noticed the chair.

"P-Pandora. An' Marcus..." She grimaced, and pulled her newsboy cap down and began to briskly walk int eh other direction, before it occurred to her that she'd have to pass by them anyway to get to the admin building.

"Auuuugh...okay, jus' be cool Al. Be cool." Al headed over to the three, greeting them by tipping her hat to them. She seemed confident enough, but her voice betrayed her.

"H-hey Val. Pan...dora. Uhm." She nodded awkwardly to Marcus, unsure of whether he was even actually aware of human's social graces. "Marcus." She jerked a thumb to Gem and the young man. "What's goin' on? That a friend'a hers?"

MGRP OTB OoC Thread
MGRP SHipping Thread
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote        
Rhys broke out in a wide smile, and sat back. The pter was going to be just fine.

"You're pretty good," he told Gemini. He couldn't help but laugh as the little animal stumbled around, trying to fly. Rhys' smile became sad as he realized that she probably wouldn't be able to fly with the incredible acrobatic skill that pters were known for. When wild, pters, while not fast enough to catch their prey, performed enough swoops and loops to confuse their target. This little girl wouldn't be able to do that.

The pter stumbled forward, falling on top of Gemini. After a pause, the pter started licking the cuts covering the Gemini's upper half. Rhys snickered. It looked like the pter would make a home here, even if she wasn't welcome.

"I guess I should warn you," Rhys said, smiling sheepishly, "pter's are bloody difficult to form bonds with, but once you do, that thing isn't going anywhere." Rhys nodded toward to pter on Gemini's lap.

"You might want to give her a name because you've got yourself a pet, my friend." His terming made him pause. He didn't exactly have many friends, only a coworker, plus a superior in the rebel ranks.

A slight clank caught Rhys' attention, and he finally noticed the small crowd that had gathered in the past half hour. Everyone seemed to be deferring to a woman in a wheelchair being pushed by a robot. Rhys suppressed a shudder as he looked at the robot, and went to introduce himself.

"Ah, hi," he said to the woman in the wheelchair, "Um, sorry for the slight commotion, but I didn't have anywhere else to go. You'll have a pter hanging around from now on, probably...sorry about that. I guess I can help you take care of it for now." Rhys paused, thinking. "Hey, do you have a pen and paper? I need to send a few messages, to let people know I'm going to be absent from work for a while."

Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote        
Victoria had been walking around for the better part of the day, since she had awoken this morning. Officially, she was off-duty today; unofficially, she had decided to do a bit of snooping around. Thus far, she hadn’t found anything of great interest though, and was subsequently just wandering about the site, more-or-less.
She had briefly considered going over to the mail room and writing a letter to her family, but for some reason, she just couldn’t stomach the idea of it today…maybe tomorrow…or not. Now, not having much else to do, she has opted for jogging about the grounds.

She runs up to the small group that has gathered, looking over everything curiously, and brushing a loose strand of hair from her face as she speaks.

“Hey there! So, what have we got going on here, might I ask?”

She raises an eyebrow when she notices Rhys; she knows she seen him several times before, but plays it off as though she’s never met him.

“And who might you be then? I’ve not seen you around the site before, unless I’m much mistaken?”

ninjamaos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote        
Gemini thought she might faint. "A- a pet?" she repeated breathlessly. At this point, she couldn't even manage to take proper care of herself-- how would she manage to take care of another living creature?

As she contemplated her impending doom, Gem realized that Rhys was still talking and looked up. The two youngsters and the pter must have been surrounded by a group of workers from the site whilst Gem had been working. And me in such a state, Gem thought despairingly. Well, it hardly mattered now. What was more important was figuring out what she was going to do with a high-spirited, high-maintenance pter!
...Who I do need to think of a name for, Gem thought. I can't call her "little pter" forever.

Nuklearsamurai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote        
Hogan wandered aimlessly through the rubble on the opposite side of the mountain. The rebel faction hadn't been doing much recently, probably because of some law crackdown closer to headquarters or something like that. Such things happened every now and then, but the law could never hope to entirely quell them. He'd just stick it out on the mountain and see what was going on in the archaeology site. Gem was on the inside, working with the scientists, and Hogan had chosen to stay on the outside in case things took a turn for the worse. This way he'd have a chance to keep an eye on her from a distance and if things went south, he'd be able to help out as best he could, and in a worst case scenario, a the rebel presence on Mt. Nerian would remain. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Despite the lack of overt activity recently, the police presence on the mountain was still vigilant, so he was taking a very round-about way to get to the site today. This trail should take him another hour or so to make it to his overlook where he'd be able to watch the site and stay far enough away to avoid detection. glancing upwards as a shadow passed over him, he caught a glimpse of T'kell swooping down onto some unlucky mountain creature. Chuckling a little to himself, he climbed on. The morning was young and there was no telling exactly what they'd find on site today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote        
Meanwhile, Thomas had been busy discussing with one of the team's foremen for the best part of the last half-hour. Apparently a small part of gallery B had collapsed during the night. Fortunately, no one was around at the time, but it obviously meant the work on that part of the site would need to be delayed until everything was repaired. Judging from the damages, the foreman estimated it would take about a week...

After some discussion, both men went back to what they were doing, the foreman carrying order to his workers and Thomas... Oh, right, the archives! the old man remembered with a small sigh. He resumed his walk through the small hallway he was in. Passing near a large door, he noticed an unusually large group of people gathered outside, and stopped in his track to obverse what was going on. Although it was frequent to see group of workers talking together during breaks, it seemed a bit out of place during work time, and on a Saturday, when most of the "office" workers where not even around...

He adjusted his glasses and, noticing a few people with whom he needed to talk in the side of the scene, he decided to head outside and see what was going on by himself. As he reached the group, he heard Victoria addressing a young man he wasn't sure he recognized. He stopped beside the two inventors, saluting them, and lifted an eyebrow as he looked at the young man, waiting for his answer.

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote        
Rhys recognized Victoria as well, and he was slightly confused when she asked him who he was, but went with it.

"No, I haven't been here before," He said, noticing that more and more people were arriving, "I don't really go anywhere outside of the farm and the city. I train animals for a living. I found that little thing," he pointed to the pter still lying on Gem, "in the mountains. Have I done something wrong? I mean, I seem to have made a bit of a...um..." the crowd was making him nervous, and the scrutiny by the old man, who actually just threw a salute, wasn't helping.

Torch decided to make an appearance. The silvery-gray lizard slithered up Rhys' arm, and perched on his head, to study the gathered scientists. The sudden movement stopped Rhys' unfinished sentence flat. Torch's head rotated, staring at each of the people in turn, and settled on the old man.

'Oh please,' he thought, 'somebody say something.'

Atraea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote        
((EVERYBODY GET IN HERE))

Al blinked a couple of times as the lizard slithered out and sat right on top of the young man's head. She froze still, trying to remain as calm as she could. For all of the things int eh world that didn't bother her: heavy machines, big scary men, getting hit in the face by said men during her matches, walking the streets of the South part of town at night...lizards terrified her.

It was taking everything she could not to shriek, so she just stood and looked at the ground, becoming fidgety. When she looked up again, the lizard caught eyes with her, if only for a moment, and Al, unable to contain her irrational fear, made a shrill and audible squeak, and jumped behind Marcus, and by extension Pandora.

"IhatelizardsIhatelizardsIhatelizards, putitawayputitaway, ohmygodsohmygods, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." By the time she realized just who it was she'd taken shelter behind, she twitched, and jumped back, giving another squeak. At this point everyone was more or less looking at her, as she'd broken the awkward silence twice. If the heat she was feeling was any indication, she was beat red again, and shelooked left and right, for an excuse to leave without making herself look sillier that she already had. She caught sight of Thomas, and pointed at him, in a more enthusiastic fashion than she probably intended.

"YOU. I NEED TO TALK. TO YOU," she said, her delivery was stilted and awkward, as she tried to sound more confident than she actually was. She grabbed him by the shoulders, turned him back around toward the admin building, and gently made attempts to shuffle him back that way and away from the humiliation she'd manage to cause herself...for the second time that morning.

MGRP OTB OoC Thread
MGRP SHipping Thread