Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Smite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote        
Sweat I have noticed lately when drawing males that I am completely stumped when trying to draw mens crotches. The bulge either looks WAY to big or flat like a girls. ;>___>

Buying Gala of the Eloquial Dove Paying 5k silver or 40gold
Seitaro Nagase

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote        
I'm actually in college and taking art classes to go into a graphics design major so i know what you mean when drawing males are hard. I've had classes where we have models come in so the class can draw them. My instructor has told me many times before that its because men have a more defined tone with muscles while with women you can actually get your entire arm into the drawing instead of worrying about small details you miss. I personally hate drawing males because of that reason...lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote        
ROFL - crotches. I have that problem too.

I have a way harder time drawing males than females.

I've always blamed it on myself being female but I guess that's not really a valid excuse since there are females who draw wonderful male bodies!

I've been drawing only males for the past year and noticed that (I'm sure it was brought up): Have more angular features, muscles, muscles, and muscles. Where females are curvy (like one continuous line) males are hard (like many different lines connected together). Eh, does that make sense? It did in my head... I think.

I think I enjoy drawing male's bodies more but I like the female form better, just because. Happy

"Abash’d the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is,
and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely."

=Played by Natasha=
Sanzoskitten

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote        
See, I think it's more in how you think about it.
I started out drawing Trees and Dragons... xD

So, my trick is just to keep men and women are different, with a woman's shape think circles and ovals when designing it and men you think rectangles and triangles.

You can soften and harden both as needed to achieve different body shapes. A chubbier man with have rounded corners(if you will).
A muscled woman will have very stretched circles and probably more of them, think of changing the letter S to a letter Z on her body shape.

My very first pictures containing people were of dragons with trees in the BG and a prince and princess. Also lots of unicorns... :T I was a strange and yet quite normal girl ALL at the same time. xDD

Also, looking to trade gold for MANY things!
Sales Thread: http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?t=7770
Art Sales Thread: http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?p=321656#321656
TGPretender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote        
Oh males... I'm actually fairly good at drawing men. Both girly men and macho men, though I have to say I like the middle ground between best.

I've noticed skinny, girly guys are easier to draw than bulky. Most people don't seem to know much about the anatomy of muscle, which is what really makes drawing men hard. Ladies are all about curves, men are all about sharp angles. But when you get the musculature down, it's so much easier. Recommendation? Buy yourself a human anatomy book. It will become your best friend.

Another trick is to make friends with someone who's good at doing the nice, muscly guys and see if they'll give you tips and pointers. Even if you don't do the muscle men, it'll still help you out. (I use this trick. My friend is really awesome about telling me when I get things right, as well as wrong)
Alyssia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I think what you first start out drawing will play apart in what you're better at due to the amount of practice, but I also feel like that for the most part females will most likely start out drawing females because they're automatically familiar with the anatomy and how it should look.

Getting stuck on males, it gives me issues because they tend to be more angular...but its also why I like them too~ Its in the hips, the face, all over the place...but I remembered what helped me out when I was drawing. Posemaniacs.com. I really liked the site because you can manipulate(to a degree) the images, and they're true to life images as well, plus they've got like a bajillion posed to boot~ Too bad I've only seen adults...I feel like kids would help out as well too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote        
I think people who say that either just prefer to draw women, or are too lazy to bother to learn how to draw men. On trick ponies, you know?

Men really aren't that hard, it's a more chiseled look, but you don't need to worry about all the curves you do with women. And more anime guys just look like chicks with flat chests anyway.

Then again, some people just can't do it, or plainly don't want to, and if it's their work, they have every right to decide what they do/don't want to do. ~shrugs~
Crow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote        
Guys are easier to draw, because angles are easy.
Girls are more fun to draw, though, for me at least...
Curves are harder to draw than lines, but are organic.
Organic things allow you to mess up and still look okay.
If you see a round rear and chest bits you think female.
So, it could just be people are relying on generalizations.

✖

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote        
I wish I knew how to draw men, haha.
But when I try to draw anime boys, they all turn out skinny and feminine like.?
I think girls are easier to draw & more fun. n . n;
They have more curved, nice bodies while the boys' are.. kind of plain.
Unless you draw muscles, but that's more detail than shape.
Plus, I like the chibi cute style so I would need to study up on how to draw serious sexy men. Dx

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote        
I think the reason that it is difficult to draw men is that men have
more definite forms than women, and you have to be way more accurate while drawing guys, and can seldom draw soft curvy lines. While women have these "easy-to-draw" curves, which allows you to play around a lot more. Well, that is at least how i see it. And besides, muscles is a real pain to draw! I end up randomly placing them out, which makes my character, to say the least, don't look that anatomically correct :P
Ah, guys are a pain to draw... Wish i was better at it though, since drawing yaoi/shonen-ai is what i do most.
Pikmin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote        
Women are easier to exaggerate, which imo is why people enjoy drawing them more..
I had a drawing contest up on a different forum a while ago, a "draw my character" kind of dealy, and the amount of people who made my char somewhat... More curvy than she was, to put it lightly, was quite amazing.

Actually started another art contest on there lately actually to get rid of all my money on that mmo, and so far they've not been like that at all, which is win for me 'cos I prefer that o\

I wanna start drawing again... If my drawing tablet wasn't being weird lately e.e

JOLLY COOPERATION!
zenphor667x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote        
In my opinion, both men and women can be hard to draw, it all depends on which one you put your focus on more, to make the other more "difficult". I for one draw males more than females. They both have their difficulties when it comes to forms, figures, shapes, angles. I like drawing more straight edge than curvy, why I'm not a fan of drawing women, that, and I don't like drawing female torsos. Also, replying to the above comment, you can exaggerate both male and female. For example females you can exaggerate bust, and male, you can do for muscle. I'm sure there's a lot more I can say, but my brain died half way through this...
Dr. Tick Tock

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote        
I'm typing this without reading any other responses (sorry, I is lazy D: ) so sorry if I repeat something.

I think mostly it's just bone frame. A lot of new artists (the ones I know/knew anyway) start drawing with anime. Now, anime is really easy if you're drawing girls. Small shoulders, curves, pointy chin. Even as the artist gets better and more realistic, they're still going off of their foundation of thin-framed people.

Real life men have wide shoulders, little curves, strong jaws (usually), and no lips (at least, it's hard to draw lips on a guy and have it not look really weird).

I actually have a harder time on woman. I DID start drawing anime before anything else, but I quickly switched over to using stock pictures on Deviantart to reference my drawings. And... well, I felt better staring at a half naked man than a girl wearing a suit that made her look naked. I don't know why. Just made me uncomfortable xD I was only thirteen, fourteen ish at the time.
Anelir

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote        
Alright, so I am going to confess something Smile My females look like males and my males look like females -.- No, I did not intend it to be that way...it just happens Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote        
I've come to the point where I can draw both genders but I still struggle on the elderly and buff men. I used to just about only draw females, then it flopped when I could finally manage a guy that looked there was any amount of testosterone in him (most of my characters are male), and now I just draw whoever. Muscle placement must be the hardest part, so drawing buff men with always elude me...

Art Shop!Item ShopChat with me!Open for RP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next