Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote        
It's not uncommon to browse and art shop and read something like "Sorry, but I can't draw guys."

Why is this? Can you draw males as well as you draw females?

Personally, I can't draw men. (Okay, so I can't even draw women very well either. :/) I've practiced and such and while I got better at drawing women, I never did get better at drawing men. Something makes me think it's the woman's shape or the fact that I'm one or that an anime chick is just more common than an anime dude, but I'm curious as to what you all think it is.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote        
I can't really, I'm trying, I'm just needing to work on the body and leg and head shape xD
The expressions are a bit different, and I just really need more experience until I cant figure out if I can draw them or not xD

::Shop::
Rutilus Astrum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote        
It's because they're not as curvy. People get stuck on the hips, I bet. I know I do a lot. Like... with women, you can draw a small waist, no problem, and big hips, a-ok, but with guys... It's hard to make them look masculine and at the same time appealing and "pretty", if you will.

And most people like to draw "pretty" things.

ffff. :I I fail at writing, so tl;dr, women have curves, men do not.

I personally think it's silly that people "can't" draw men. It means they're not willing to learn how.
Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote        
I want to, and I will try to, but for now, I don't want to give someone art of a male if I don't think it's good enough, becuase I don't know what to do iwth the hips. I understand that, but I don't understand , like you, why someone would refuse to, period.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote        
The curves would make sense, but I know males that are curvy. XD Seriously, more curvy that some females I know.

Also I didn't take into consideration the facial features. Of course that plays a role in it! A male’s face generally has to be more… I want to say square but something tells me that’s not the word I’m looking for.

Rutilus Astrum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote        
Perhaps angular?

Women are very soft, generally, and men have more angles. That's not to say it's true for everyone, but for most and for stereotypes, that's how to tell the difference between sexes.
Angel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote        
I draw men very well.

Unlike a lot of artists, I started drawing by drawing male bodies and sketching their figures.

But, unfortunately, that means I can't draw women nearly as well. D;

Naked for absolutely no reason.
Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote        
It's probably better that you draw men well, since it's harder to find people who draw men and women well.
I sometimes draw the body, yet sometimes the head, first. Really depends on my mood.

Demon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote        
I'm a female and yet I'm better with male people.
Heck, I personally think my male characters are sexy. ><;
Others agreed so I think I'm alright with them. I'm definitely much better at them than female anime characters. I'm currently practicing at them but it takes me a whole lot longer drawing their shape hair than I do with guys.

Quite odd in a way when other girls can't draw them boys when I can. -gigglesnort-

edit: Now that I think about it. I think my first ever drawing was of a boy. I think I was attempting to draw my father. xD

Marina Toriama

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote        
I can draw both men and women. Women are easier to draw, but I can still produce nice looking males. Smile

Rinni is:

Back after super hiatus; getting reacquainted with the site
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote        
@Astrum: Ah! That's the word. -^_^-

@Angel&Demon: So it's possible that whatever you start out with may be what you have more talent with.

@AD: T_T I can't call you Demon anymore.

Most of the time I'll draw an outline of the pose first, so yeah, the body.

I start with the head with details though.

@Marina: Lucky.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote        
You can, just put an 'A' with it T-T

I like the nickname Demon xD

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote        
I shall, I shall. Happy

Angel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote        
Chu wrote:
@Angel&Demon: So it's possible that whatever you start out with may be what you have more talent with.

I think it's actually just what you draw more.

I know that I drew the male figure first and then kept drawing it because that's just what I was accustomed to.

But I know a lot of people on DeviantART that can draw both genders simply amazingly. @.@

Naked for absolutely no reason.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote        
Well of course practice plays a key role in it.