Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote        
I'm an... extremely apathetic person. Thus, I don't have much of an opinion on anything or anyone. >.>; I've always had trouble with writing pieces such as persuasive letters because of this and absolutely despise them. I mean, how are you supposed to sway someone when you're not even passionate about the thing that you're writing about? D;

Basically, my English teacher shows immense favoritism for the “preps” of the class and teaches in this corner of the room where only they can hear him. He calls out the other side (my side) all the time and gets angry at us when we give up on listening to something that we can’t even hear in the first place. The ONLY people that never listened to start with were these guys sitting in the back (who – yay – I sit in front of) and rather then telling them to shut up, he gets angry at all of us. I tried approaching him for help today but he flat-out ignored me so I actually went to all of my other teachers and asked for some bit of help. I’m desperate. We’re beginning and turning in our rough drafts tomorrow so I’m either going to write on the prices and preparation of school lunches or test strategies for teachers.

For aesthetic purposes, the room looks a bit like this:

(Yeah, I kinda just wanted to show you how weird the layout is. XD)

Anyway, how should I go about this piece? Should I basically “make up” or rather fabricate an opinion or should I think deeply on something that I actually care about? (I really doubt I will. You’d be surprised at how little I care about things.) Something tells me I should do something on our economic crisis but still, I don’t care. I’m in serious need of help. D: Give me an opinion.

Raspberry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote        
Well, I've got a few things to say about it.

I don't think being persuasive has anything to do with being passionate about something. Take debating for instance, you don't have to care or believe in what you are debating. You do it for arguments sake. You put your opinion in someone else's shoes so to speak.
Now I'm not sure what your exact task is. Maybe he told you it has to be something you genuinely care about.

Also if you can't hear, move. Simple. I think you might be a bit paranoid with this "prep" business. Sure it's possible... But I see no reason why a teacher would care what 'social standing' those people have. It probably seems like favoritism because as you said yourself, your side gets frustrated and stops trying to listen. So of course he'd snap. So either move, or confront him about the volume of his lectures.

And... that's a messed up layout for a room. But anyways, if there is something you care about I say write about that. The only reason being it's WAY more fun to write about something you know/would like to know.
If not I don't think it really matters Wink Good luck on it!

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote        
Sadly enough the teachers in my school are much more aware of social standing than you'd think. ._. I haven't the faintest clue why though; merely the psychological want to be accepted by a group that we all know ignored him in his high school days.

I would, but it's not as if there's a lot of room in the classroom. There are a lot of new people that aren't very qualified for advanced classes this year, to the point that teachers even had to kick students out because there are too many. I get to class right as the bell rings so there are only a few seats left and mine is the best I could get out of it.

Yeah. XD People sit on the inside and outside of that... structure. There truly is nothing that I care about and yes, he did say specifically to write about something you're passionate about in order to make a good piece. I understand his high expectations and quite frankly don't doubt my talent, but it'll just be a long and hard process without any help from the teacher. Luckily enough my business teacher put a lot of work into these persuasive letter packets and he gave me one, which helps quite a bit.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote        
I hate doing persuasive letters, especially on final exams...
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote        
I can already tell that my final exams will be easy this year but that's because I'm using FACTS. D: Persuasive letters involve opinions, which I seem to lack.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote        
I'm just bad with words, so...
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote        
Haha, I'm sure I've made it obvious that I can always write about something. xP

neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote        
Lucky you. Jab (Love that emote!)

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote        
Haha, not really. Not everyone reads gargantuan posts and such.

neomattlac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote        
Well, usually I'm wasting time anyways, so I read them...