Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Storybook
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote        
Allo poppets!

This tale begins back in tenth grade, somewhere around two years ago. We had to write based on a prompt we were given; I churned out my first-ever flash fiction. There were still pieces missing, but for a first attempt, it was decent.

About two years later, I stumble across the story tucked away in a notebook. Inspiration struck, and it morphed from a standalone flash fiction to a small series of flash fictions.

I expect it will be expanded beyond what I have right now, but...for now, I shall just post the nine flashes I have done.

Feel free to critique or comment~
Please note: The numbers are the order in which they were written, not the order in which they occur.

Characters:

Name: Dimitriou, Alexis
Aliases: Li, Ali, Crimson Killer, Dark Skye
Height: 5'9''
Body Type/Weight: Lean but sturdy
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blood Red
Normal Apparel: black hooded cloak, black boots, black pants (tucked into the boots), black tunic with his personal insignia, black undershirt
Abilities: Stealthy, Magic.
Weapons: Daggers, Poisons, Intimidation

Name: Xylander, Phoenix
Aliases: Xy, Phe
Height: 5'7''
Body Type/Weight: Fit
Hair Color: Dark red (nearly black)
Eye Color: Copper (molten copper when pissed)
Normal Apparel: worn but comfortable brown boots, green leggings, dark green over tunic, white long-sleeved undershirt, and dark green hooded cape.
Abilities: Magic.
Weapons: Daggers, Sword
Affiliation: Neutral Good
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote        
(1) - Flee

The girl's eyes flick backwards as the fog rolls in among the trees. Her eyes return forward as she races down the path, dodging errant branches and upraised roots.

"They won't stop."

The thought first came three days before; she has since accepted it. She is Phoenix Xylander and she is the last of a dying breed. As the last of that breed, she is much sought after. Unlike the last of most breeds, she is not pursued for capture or slavery. This girl, this Phoenix Xylander, is followed as a fox is by the hounds.

The problem is that the master of these hounds cares not if his fox is torn to shreds by his hunters. In fact, he actually encourages it. That is reinforced by the fact that he has let an insane assassin loose, promising the sadistic killer freedom if he brings him the head of that last pest.

Footsteps behind her almost make the girl turn but she pushes her battered body faster, willing her screaming muscles to keep moving. She knows that this is one fight she cannot win; she is outnumbered and, more importantly, outmatched. Unfortunately, her enemy knows this as well.

A dagger whistles through the air, slicing it as cleanly as it is about to her flesh. She whirls around to face her opponent, unsheathing a dagger as she goes. Metal meets metal as she blocks sloppily. Her pursuer draws his blade and they dance...until his becomes lodged in her chest.

She falls to the ground, taking the hope of a kingdom's salvation with her. The manic grin and cruel eyes of her killer are the last thing she sees. Said manic killer erects a sign, carves something into it and leaves.

This woman tried to kill the king.
She was fairly punished.
Long live the false king Andiyar

Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote        
(2) - Saving Grace

Alexis smirked as he entered the throne room, his blood red eyes glimmering, so like the lifeliquid he spilled often.

The king, lounging languidly on his throne, snapped to attention. "Well?"

"She's dead." The insane assassin stated, his victory smirk plastered across his face; the effect, combined with his sparkling blood eyes, assured the owner of the ill-begotten throne far more than his words.

"Then...be about your business!" The drunken lout stated, sloshing the wine from his glass over the assassin's face.

Alexis merely grinned his crazed grin and strode out of the throne room.

Once he was free of the palace and the grounds, he roughly wiped the thin, runny, red liquid off his face with his sleeve as his expression darkened; the smile ran off his face much line the wine did.

"I am rather glad...I betrayed him."
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote        
(3) - Digging His Own Grave

Alexis frowned at the dirt under his fingernails; he then opted to switch to the stick he had brought. He calmly scraped the dirt off the still corpse's face, then moved further down the inert body. Scowling, but knowing that burying her had been a necessity, he continued digging up the woman he had killed and buried mere days before.

Once she was uncovered, he calmly scooped the corpse into his arms, bridal style, before striding towards the river. He glanced up; it was not yet noon, he still had time.

With a few moments to spare, he made it to the river; across it, he could spot movement in the bushes. A slight smirk curled his lips as he set the corpse into the river.

It slowly drifted straight across, though the river flowed onward as usual. A person leaped from the bushes and carefully, gingerly slid the body onto the opposite bank.

Alexis turned, jammed his hands in his pockets and strode away as the breath returned to the inert body across the river.
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote        
(4) - The Assassination

"Xy!"

She turns to face a fellow student. "Yes?"

"The King wants to see you."

Copper eyes flick upwards as their owner scans her brain for any reason why she would be summoned. "Very well. Thank you for telling me."

Both bow formally and go their separate ways.

Smothering a sigh, she calmly enters the King's chambers.

"Phoenix Xylander." The King's voice is faint.

Suppressing a cry of alarm, Phoenix Xylander--known to most as only Xy--rushes forward to find her King bleeding to death.

"Sire-" Horrified, Xy kneels beside him. Her mind is blank; the healing spells studied and memorized will not come.

"I knew...it would end...this way...my child..."

"Sire, what do you--"

With the last of his strength, the King draws a golden rune in the air; it sinks into Xy's forehead.

"This will tell...you all...you need...to know..." A line of blood drips from his mouth. "Go!...now..."

"But..." Xy begins as tears prick her eyes.

"Go!"

She rises and runs, barely remembering the rune to muffle her footsteps.

"You...must...escape..." The King murmurs as his sight fades to black. "....my...daughter..."
Sameth_Delaetus

(5) - Forewarning

Alexis blinks his blood red eyes lazily as he lounges indolently in the scant sunlight that enters through the small, barred window. Yawning and stretching, catlike, he shifts slightly on the uncomfortable stone floor.

Red eyes widen, the gentle, dreamy quality vanishing, as their own sits bolt upright. A familiar crow, one eye a rotting pit, lands on the edge of the barred window. It seems to smirk at him; its cackle triumphantly smug.

He matches its stare calmly, not phased by the maggots squirming in the remainder of one eye. "What brings you here, Alric?"

The crow smirks again. "I'm sure you know, Ali!"

Suddenly tired of the charade, he lies back down and affects his lounging posture.

"Don't you want me to tell you?"

He ignores the crow as he ignores the maggot that falls from its movements to the ground.

"Aren't you the slightest bit interested?"

His eyes slowly swivel from the ceiling to the crow; his manner bored, he raises an eyebrow.

"Just you wait, Ali." The voice, light and mocking before, has become deep and deranged. "I'll make you appreciate what I've done."

When he continues to ignore it, it huffs, ruffles its feathers and then flies away.

His gaze travels to the small, writhing pile of maggots. "It will not be long before it infects the whole kingdom..."
Sameth_Delaetus

(6) - Zenith

Blood red eyes meet conflicted copper. "You're not going to save the kingdom, are you?"

"I'm sorry, Alexis..." Xy murmurs as her grip tightens on a golden chain.

"Phe, don't do this." He starts for her, motions alarmed. "I'm not worth it!"

"Yes, you are." The conflict is gone now, replaced by molten copper. "You are, or I wouldn't do this."

"Phe..." Blood red dims to a muddy brown-black as he meets the gaze of the most stubborn person he has ever come across. "If I tell you the truth, will you give it up?"

"The truth?" A red-black eyebrow arches as the molten copper cools slightly. "I'm listening." Her grip on the chain does not loosen.

"The real reason I was imprisoned was a cover-up. One of the people I 'killed' was a witch of renown--one who was famous for helping, healing and doing everything she could for the public. No one knows why she snapped or why she did what she did--all I know is that, because of my master and my ties to her, I was blamed. She was taken from the kingdom in the dead of night; she...well, she has been heard from since, but not by anyone that matters."

"That would be code for 'you'." Xy acknowledges coolly; a tight twist of a grimace is her confirmation.

"She took great pleasure in taunting me for the first few months afterwards...but it eventually tapered off. I then only heard from her about once a year...until more recently. About a day or so before you had to flee the kingdom...one of her familiars showed up. It..." He pauses, hesitant. "It told me she would make me appreciate what she had done. I hadn't known until..." He stops. "It doesn't matter; what matters is that--"

"Sorry, Li." She murmurs; the use of the nickname she created for him causes him to hesitate for a second, but that is all she needs. Xy is gone before he can recover; he collapses, punching the ground in frustration. His eyes darken from the muddy brown-black to black as he continues to punch the ground; his knuckles split and blood mingles with the dirt; still, his fists connect with it.

Then a slight lifting sensation around his navel jerks him from his recrimination; his punishment for not stopping her and saving who they had come to save. His eyes rise from the ground that resembles his former eye color in time to watch the entire area become enshrouded in white light. He begins to fall even as the mountain beneath him fades away.
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote        
(7) - Not In Name Only

Xy opens her eyes slowly, cautiously; she marvels that she can at all.

"Ah, yer awake."

She hesitantly sits up; other than a light twinge in her chest, all is fine. "Where...?"

The man grins. "Come wiv me. After yeh've eat'n 'un drunk I'll explain."

Not having any other choice, she slides out from under the blankets that pooled at her waist; she is pleasantly surprised and pleased to note that she is dressed. She silently follows him to the back area of what appears to be a well-frequented tavern; a frown contorts her lips as she searches for a familiar or defining decoration that could clue her in to where she is.

"'Ere, younglin', eat up."

She reluctantly accepts the food and wonders if it's possible to use magic to check it for drugs or poison without offending her host.

He watches her, then chuckles at her dilemma. "Iffen yeh be wantin' ta tist it fer poisin's 'un such, goan a'ead."

Xy wrinkles her nose, displeased at being so easily read before she does so; finding none, she thanks her host and digs in.

"Now, Miss...about who rescued yeh."

Both jump and spin to face the door; a drenched and paler-than-usual Alexis enters, carelessly drops a dry carripack on the floor and drapes himself on a chair.

"What...what's HE doing here?!" She cries, jumping to her feet and fumbling for her weapons.

"'Im as bein' tha 'un that rescued yeh." The man murmurs, not looking anywhere near Alexis.

"Yeah right." Xy grumbles. "He's the one that put the damned dagger in my chest!"

"I cahn see 'im doin' that..." The man concurs, earning him any icy-eyed look from the displeased assassin. "But 'e's tha 'un that sav'd yeh. 'E's the 'ead ov tha resistence..."

"Enough." The icy, cultured voice interrupts. "Yes, I killed you and yes, I saved you. If you're done being a brat about it, we have things to do."

"Eh?" The tavern owner gapes. "But she's on'ly jus' got outta bed!"

The blood eyed male brushes dirt off his wet shoulder. "That would be her problem, not mine."

"What d'you want?"

"Many things." He replies smoothly. "At any rate, I'm assuming you know your real first name?"

"It's Phoenix." She retorts flatly. "I don't see what it has to do with you."

"It has nothing to do with me, but everything to do with why my blade didn't kill you."

"Are you saying my name makes me immortal?"

His eyes narrow slightly; he is pleased to note she does not flinch. "No. Merely that your name was given to you because of your ability. Phoenixes typically rise from the ashes...though, in this case, you rose from the dirt."

She glares outright at him, not caring that the man at the table with her pales. "And how would you know?"

"Simple." A smirk curls his lips. "I've killed you before."
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote        
(8 ) - A Jilted View

"Alexis, put me down!" She hisses as he continues to run as fast as his legs can carry him; their pursuers have continued to fire arrows at them, despite not being able to see them through the thick foliage. He ignores her or perhaps does not hear her and merely continues on. When they rejoin the path, at a much higher altitude than they were before, he pauses to catch his breath, then sags to the ground.

"Al--" Xy breaks off when she realizes the blood red eyes are closed; her next realization is that he is breathing shallowly. "Wh--" Her thoughts screech to a halt when she sees the crimson liquid blooming on his clothing in numerous areas. "You're supposed to be the blood spiller, not spill-ee." She thinks in an attempt to cheer herself as she carefully loops his arm around her shoulders; hers goes around his waist. "One, two, three." The girl stands shakily and manages to stumble off the path into the foliage below. Guided by an instinct long honed to find hiding places, she half carries, half drags him to a nearby cave that is barely discernible from the foliage that surrounds it.

A silent sigh escapes her as she peels back the blood-drenched clothing and locates an injury; once she has, she draws a copper healing rune above it. The rune sinks into his skin; moments later, all foreign material pours out of it before the injury snaps closed. Once she has accomplished this, she finds the area where the lips of the wound would be, and places a few stitches to make sure they stay connected. After completing this task for all of his injuries, she moves both of them further into the cave, away from the mess of blood, pus and unidentifiable foreign bits.

That duty taken care of, she then cares for her own wounds; most of which do not require stitching after being healed. "You idiot." She glowers at the unconscious form of her companion. "You go through all the trouble of convincing me that you're a royal jackass, and then whenever we get into trouble, you always put my life first." Her glower deepens to a scowl. "And, yes, I do know that it's you who always bandages my wounds with such gentle hands. You always try to convince me it is some healer you found who weathered us for a while, but I am not that stupid."

A sudden, jerky movement catches her attention; his face, twisted by pain, is her only warning before he begins to thrash around.

"I am going to kill him." She decides as she hurriedly grabs hold of him and forces her magic into him; it stops his struggles once he recognizes that it's her. "I am going to kill him very dead for being as frustrating as he is." A mental glower is all she allows herself when his face contorts further before smoothing out.

"Phe...?" Comes the soft rasp from by her ear; she merely gently tilts his head back and dribbles a bit of water from the waterskin down his throat. He swallows, coughing slightly, before weary blood red eyes open to meet molten copper.

"I guess you were able--" He begins, tone snide.

"Shut up." She snaps before forcing him to lean against her again and resting her head atop his.

He freezes.

Xy mentally smothers a smirk before murmuring into his hair in a completely different tone, "I know".

Alexis relaxes. "Now you know why they kept me locked in a tower..." He mumbles softly. "If anyone spent enough time with me..."

"They would figure out you are no more a psychopathic killer than I." She finishes softly before covering them both with a cloak.

"Killing you was the first time...first time I..." He stops, his throat tightening.

Xy pulls him closer and finishes checking his stitches with her magic; none have been pulled out and no wounds have opened. A small frown dances across her face; she is unsure of what to say, as she has yet to kill someone.

He tries to pull away only to find himself gripped tighter.

"I can't..." She pauses to collect her thoughts. "I can't say as I know how you feel...but...I've needed your help at almost every turn on this crazy journey. It's only fair that I help you if I can..."

With a quiet breath that sounds remarkably like "thanks" he drifts off in her embrace; she mentally rolls her eyes, as she knew he was exhausted and only pretending to be fine so she would let him alone.

"You are a shade more transparent than you would like to be, I'm afraid..." With a slight smile, she, too, dozes off.
Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote        
(9) - Partners In Crime

"Let me get this straight." Xy begins caustically. "We're on a quest to find an object only you know the name of; no one knows where this mythical object is; we're supposed to be saving the kingdom that locked you up for ten years; all the while we're dodging bandits, roving bands of soliders and assassins sent by our drunken nemesis and yet we're traveling on the main road in broad daylight."

Alexis, forcing himself to maintain a calm facade, nods.

"Are you insane?!"

He smirks. "You said yourself that I was locked up for ten years; you seem to have answered your own question."

"...bastard."

"Ah, the fine manners of those raised in the royal court are showing themselves."

"Says someone who grew up in a cell with mold, mildew and bedding for company." Xy shoots back coldly. "Why did you drag me into this mess?"

"You dragged yourself." He retorts calmly, and then will speak no more, no matter how riled she makes him.

"Sure I did." She mutters angrily as she follows him. "I was asking to get killed, dug up and taken along by some crazy who murdered eighteen people...oh yes, I was just begging for it."

He hears her, but pretends he does not as he continues to lead them towards a local bar known for its seedy nature and law-breaking patrons. They enter the bar as the sun is setting; he frowns, as he was hoping to have found the information he needed and leave before the sun had even risen to noon.

"We don't want none of your kind here, Skye." The barkeep sneers when he sees who it is.

"Then may I assume you'll give me the information I need quickly so my name does not appear on the list of patrons known to frequent this place?" Alexis questions smoothly.

"Whaddaya want?" The barkeep snarls quietly; it is Alexis's turn to sneer, though he does so far more elegantly.

"And that served what purpose?" Xy grumbles as they continue on their way.

"Shut up, keep your head down and keep moving." Her male companion snaps, far from in the mood to placate her.

"Excuse you--!" She breaks off abruptly when an arrow whistles past her head. "What did you do?"

"I'm not well liked." Is the flat reply.

"I couldn't tell." The girl hisses back as she makes an effort to sneak quickly through the thick underbrush. Time passes in a rushed frenzy as they race on, keenly aware of the arrows narrowly missing them every time. Xy pauses, ducking behind a tree, to catch her breath; the sound of a nearby struggle fills the gap between the roar of her heartbeat. "Oh great..." Smothering a sigh, she draws her weapons and lunges into the clearing; her blade hilt meets the back of an attacker's neck. He goes down and stays down; she turns her attention to another attacker. The skirmish is over in minutes; Alexis stares at her and the immobile bodies of his would-be killers, oblivious to his injuries.

She rolls her eyes. "Were I you, I'd stitch those up." Xy states, gesturing to the long gash on his arm and the slice across his kneecap. He wordlessly kneels and does so; when a hand enters his vision, offering him a numbing balm, he takes it without question.

"Perhaps...she does not hate me as much as she claims to...?" He smothers a curse when he pricks himself with the needle and decides to leave the question of his confusing companion alone...at least while he is sewing himself back together.
catsmeow111

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote        
OOOO! I luffs Alexis. May I take him home, gift wrapped?
Yeah, I just love the anti-social characters but... Can I still have him gift-wrapped? I'll give you a cookie.
Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote        
(This is my main account XD)

If you want, but--*ducks*--uh, Xy might disagree.

Xy: HE started this mess--now HE gets to help clean it up!
Alexis: >>; Technically--
Xy: I'LL WOUND YOU D<<<<
Alexis: ...where's the wrapping paper?

...hoboy...

(XDXDXD)

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
catsmeow111

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote        
*jumps up and down excitedly*

Please continue writing!
Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote        
I shall do my best >D

I have a rough outline for all this insanity in my head, but it involves a LOT of crazyness...including--but not limited to--the entire freaking timeline being reset by one crazy-determined Xy xD

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o