Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Amlynd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote        
Your choice of media doesn't make you any more or less of a writer, in my opinion. As was mentioned further up in this thread, the product of writing is an idea, not a thing on a piece of paper, and as such, you cannot define it by the media it uses. I mean, when you write something, people don't ask you "Oh, did you use a pen?" the same way they ask you "Oh, did you use watercolors/paint/a tablet/etc?"

Because it doesn't bloody matter.

However, I think there are some people in the world who feel like better writers when using a pen and paper, myself included. There are certain pens that glide, and since I'm very easily amused, the feel of the pen sliding so smoothly against the paper while I pour my soul out onto the page before me just makes me really happy. I don't know why. I'll never know why. But that's a physical experience--it has nothing to do with the writing itself.

Quick note: Not trying to bring this thread up after a week of inactivity just for the sake of it. I remembered how much I loved writing with pen while working on my Creative Writing homework, and it occurred to me that there was already a thread here in Writing Chat about it. :P So I felt I would share.
lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I read this and I just said, "PEN?!?!?" I hate pen. I much prefer pencils because i make so many mistakes. And a true writer doesn't need to write on pen and paper. As you said, that's bullcrapo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote        
Hm...I'm kinda divided on this subject.

While typing is soooo much faster and easier and eliminates the time spent typing something up later because I hand wrote it first...

Hand-writing something is more portable, more stealthy and can generally be done in class or at lunch without the worry of the horrid tables attacking/assaulting/maiming my poor beat up laptop.

So as far as either goes, both have their benefits and drawbacks.

I certainly don't look down on someone who doesn't use pencil/pen-and-paper as a means of recording their writing. Some like it; some don't.

Looking down on someone who doesn't use pen-and-paper is as stupid as looking down on someone who uses only pen-and-paper.

*cough*

TL;DR:
Either is a viable method of recording writing and looking down on someone for not wanting to handwrite something is stupid.

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote        
Wow, well. I have never heard that myself, but I agree that it's pompous. I, myself, tend to write pen and paper. I don't do this because I think it's better though. There are two reasons that I write this way. I LOVE journals, and since I don't keep a diary the next best thing is to write stories in them.

The other reason that I write by hand, instead of typing the stories up, is because I usually only find the time to write when I am at work. This means that I cannot use company property to do so. Therefore, it's easier just to do it by hand. I know that sounds kind of odd. I work in a call center though. Some days are VERY slow.

I think that you should write in whatever way makes you most comfortable. I have typed stories up before, and I've done it by hand. There's really no difference, except that with word you have a built in spell/grammar checker.
Rhemiyl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote        
Personally I've always preferred typing my work out to writing it by hand. My penmanship is terribly abhorrent and my wrist takes enough damage from drawing. I've got shelves beyond shelves of old writings on paper (I lie, two shelves) and I've always hated migrating them to a digital document. I've also loved how speedy I could pump out ideas when typing them; panning is too time consuming, I lose my train of thought. Nowadays we writers share our pieces over the net and some publishers prefer to take them that way as well so I can't imagine the extra work of starting it all on parchment.
Although, lately I've been forced to do a bit of writing in my old notebooks. My netbook is cracked so it can't hold the power circuit in place and I'm afraid of it losing power and thus losing my data or being completely damaged to which it won't turn back on at all. The desktop in the house is shared and I've just never felt all that comfortable typing at it, not to mention not being in my own space. Notebooks seem like the only option to me at the moment...And they're so portable! ; _ ;

Art Shop!Item ShopChat with me!Open for RP!
oceandream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote        
I used to write everything on the compter but then it crased twice, onlying using for essays and copying from the web.

The e-book seems too expensive to get started on and I still like my book collection.
Yggdrasil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote        
I usually wrote tout a bit of what i write down on paper first, to get a feel of what i want or plot, basically notes, drafting and a few earlier chapters before i decided to take tit to the computer, but I do eventually type. It really doesn't matter how you write, it's the writing itself that counts. Look at it like this, maybe writing on a computer helps that person, more so then using pen and paper, while for others, maybe strictly pen and pater is best for them, or like me where both help you out in a way.

Watch Frieza Transform
Elrakis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote        
I personally don't care what method any writer uses, paper or not, it doesn't matter. In my honest opinion, I think one should use what ever makes your boat float. If you only use Word, then just use Word. If you prefer NotePad, then do so. If you like carvings your words in stone, then do so! I believe that each writer has his/her very own personal way of doing their work, and I look down on no method.

In my case, I write with paper and pen first. Then when I'm done, I copy the handwritten text into word, which gives me the simultaneous chance of both reading, correcting and alterning what I've written. I'm very pleased with that method, and I stick loyaly to it! Smile
Revolushion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote        
This, along with all the other stereotypical ideals out there are just pigheaded BS. I writer could record themselves talking through the story and convert it to text for all I care - being a writer is about the experience of creating something you can be proud of and no one has any write to look down on someone because of the methods they use.

I LOVE writing on paper, I really do, but I do about 98% of all my writing on the computer. Why? Because A) my handwriting is pathetic, so I can't read my own words; B) I can't write fast enough to keep up with the thoughts in my head - sometimes even typing is too slow, but it's faster than penning... C) I can type for longer periods of time before my wrists give out than I can pen.

Does that make me less of a writer? Hell no.

Rev's Quest Thread! Come chat with me?

PM me 5 Random Words. Do it.
(Here's why.)

Currently questing:
Deity Axe; Deity Spear; Elegant Summer Lotus Set
Saygen40

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote        
Most of the time I simply write in Word because of the quick editing ability. I can then save my story in multiple different areas to prevent losing it somehow in an unfortunate laptop theft.
However, I do my best free-flow writing on paper. Pulling up a chair outside on a sunny day, leaving the electronics out of sight and earshot, and simply writing non-stop for pages at a time. I'll usually return inside afterwards and type up my story to save it, then begin the arduous process of looking over what the hell I wrote while soaking in the radioactive sun rays.
I may disagree with most of it in hindsight, but starting a story has always been the hardest part for me. At least I have something in print to really begin my story off of.
Asterus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote        
For me, pen and paper is the way to go when I have an idea. Since I'm not always seated at my computer, I usually jot down thoughts into a small pocket notepad I have. Even when I'm at home, I can usually write at a speed that keeps up with my train of thought, while my typing speed is sadly inadequate.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote        
I'm pretty much always at home, on my computer anyway. It's either that or I'm at work/school/otherwise occupied. My handwriting is absolutely horrific, so jotting down ideas doesn't often work because no one could read it, myself included...luckily though, sometimes my brain works like a steel trap, and I can remember the ideas that I get when I'm away from the computer.

That being said, I do have a binder full of looseleaf pages, on the off-chance I feel like writing or drawing, and I always have two pens (one smooth as butter, and the other more normal-feeling), a pencil, and a sharpie.

stazzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote        
I find it helps to write with pen and paper for some things, like short stories and poems. I don't really know why, but being able to write in a spiral shape or drawing in the margins really helps for me. Also I have to write in exercise books at school.
However, using a Word document is much easier for me when writing long novels or a series of stories. I think it makes me feel more organised.
But I don't really see the point of being a Word Document Snob, because writing is writing. It doesn't really matter - whatever helps you write.
superbinka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote        
For me it all depends on what I'm writing. For creative things, fiction, poetry, etc, I much prefer the handwritten approach. I cross bits out and draw arrows and doodle the characters' outfits in the margins but I write much faster by hand and it seems more personal.

In contrast, never make me write an essay by hand. I can't structure things without nice paragraphs that I can rearrange and delete.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote        
I like to write by hand at times, but I find it far better for myself to use a computerized medium. When I'm out and about, I always keep a notepad with me, both to doodle and write random poems as they come to mind. However, when I want to write something quickly, my handwriting is atrocious (actually it stinks even when I write slowly, but at least it's generally legible). I'd say compare my quick writing to the mythical 'doctor's chicken scratch'. You'd probably read the later more easily. Unless it's my doctor. Then I feel less scared of my handwriting.

But anyway, ramblings aside...I think always keeping pen and paper handy is important. However, if you need to go with the flow, go with whatever flows best for you. In my case, I've been typing since I was two. It comes far more naturally, and so it flows better for me as well. Not all people are like me, though. Paper and pen isn't what makes you a writer. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but it's really the words that come from the pen that matter.