Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote        
Oh, I love analyzing things. Embarrassed Seriously, this is something that I could do for an eternity. Analyzing literature is so beautiful because there's really no right or wrong analysis - it's just your opinion on the author's work. I love discussing these things too because hearing about several different perspectives on one piece just thoroughly intrigues me.

When I analyze things, I like to delve into the different levels of multiple influences on the text. I'm definitely a biographical analyzer. When I'm assigned a book I usually research the author and try to decipher what may have caused that perception reflected in their work. I like seeing their circumstance to better understand where they're coming from, rather than what I'm getting out of it. It's like detective work, and it's really interesting.

Oh, and I hate analyzing things from a feminist perspective. I hate feminism in the first place, so it kills me to look at things as a feminist would. DX Ugh.

Anyway, how do you analyze literature? Do you enjoy it at all, or do you prefer critiquing or reviewing it? What modes do you prefer or hate?

[~SHWING~]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote        
I try not allways looking for more in the text, and apparently thats wrong ha ha.
Like with The Old Man & The Sea my highschool english teacher got upset with me because I explained how the old man was a failure by his own definition that a Fishermen catches fish... and he lost the fish so he failed at life, she told me thats not what the story was about, but she couldn't know that maybe there was nothing more to it then things don't always work out Smile and I'm cool with that, but she isn't.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote        
I respect that point of view. XD My boyfriend is the same way, but even though it drives me crazy (I'm bad with calling people that don't use my methods lazy) I just have to accept that not everyone is obsessive with deeper meaning.

Did your teacher try to tell you that you were wrong though? That would piss me off. When I was in eighth grade in middle school, I analyzed a painting of explorers on a boat with a rising sun in the background, saying that the sun symbolized hope and new opportunities. The teacher told me that I was wrong and didn't even grade the assignment. D:< You can't analyze something in the "wrong" way - it's an opinion, after all! The beauty of analysis is that it's about what the individual gets out of it, whether they're the reader or the writer.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote        
Now, I'm usually the type that doesn't analyze books very much. Mostly because I think it takes the fun out of reading.

Analyzing MUSIC, however, is my forte. My one friend and I can go ON and ON about what this line in a song means or how this album ties perfectly in with this album. The best analysis I have ever made, though, was for Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Cats". The whole play can be EASILY summarized in three words.

They're All Aliens

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote        
See, everyone says that, but I disagree. What's the fun in reading something if you're not looking at it from many different perspectives? Analysis brings literature to an entirely new level.

I've never been interested in music so I don't care for analyzing it. Same goes with poetry. ^^;

I wanna see Cats though! It looks so interesting.

ecco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote        
*whisperwhisper* Cats is based on a book of poems.... lol

you guys probably know that already, this comment therefore is pointless. woo! Hai

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote        
Most of what I read is pretty straightforward (Redwall, Nightside, Drizzt). There's no HUGE symbolism in those books. I do like mapping out family trees and relationships in the Redwall books.

Twenty one books, every one with different characters. It's interesting to try and figure out of one was the father of another, or if those two characters got together, and the main character of that OTHER book is their child... It gets pretty confusing.

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote        
@ecco: I never knew that. xP I just saw a clip of it once and immediately told myself that I'd watch it eventually.

@Key: Ah, my favorite books are ones that can be read on different levels. Like 100 Years of Solitude. Beautiful.

ecco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote        
hehe yea i think the book is poems about Cats with the names of the characters in the play, tho ive never actually read them. i think my mum has an old copy of the book somewhere... i should ask her XD

[~SHWING~]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote        
Yeah I was told I was wrong even though I used evidence....
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote        
That's stupid. :/ Not everyone is going to get some philosophical, poetic analysis out of something. English teachers should be open minded.

[~SHWING~]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, unfourtunatly I'm more scientific minded o.O; so I like to acctually use whats in the text and she... well she made stuff up.
But I've also had really amazing English teachers as well.