Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote        
Now, lately I've been hit with amazing inspiration, but no will or means to do anything with it. I'm thinking of trying a new method to start a new story though. I want to see how it'll go if I work up to pre-determined quotes. An intricate quote hit me the other day and currently it's the only sentence written on a story of mine. I definitely intend to put it in the story itself, so I figured, eh, why not? Nothing else seems to be working, so I'll build the first chapter with that in mind and put the quote at the end.

Before this, I always just wrote as things came to me, but because of that I never knew how to deal with writer's block. I have tons of half-finished stories because nothing was ever planned. I was all wayward, and without that direction, I'm totally stuck. (I'm actually a person of very strong discipline - I don't know why my writing contradicts that.)

At one point I also tried working in chapter chunks, choosing a chapter title and going from there with it. That didn't work out too well though because I hate planning things piece by piece - I like getting everything out of the way at once.

Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote        
It depends with me. Sometimes I'll get a bizzare idea for a plot or even a character, and I'll try to see if I can do anything with them. Other times, I'll have a dream of something so outrageously awesome, that my imagination will refuse to forget it, and pester me with it until I do something with it.

Now, my problem is that I have files and notebook filled with unused plots that demand to be used, but rarely fit with each other. Maybe a handful will fit with a particular character that I have wandering around in my head. Cool. I'll put them together. But then what? I hate forcing myself to continue when the drive isn't there. I ended up with an unfinished abomination to literature sitting in my files, that way.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Gladde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote        
For most of my creative writings, that is how I start. I begin with a story idea that I either write down in my writing journal or--if it is a good one--I start right into it. I have a lot of story ideas, but only a few of them have been considered for actual book plots. I find that, even though it frustrates me that I haven't finished anything, it is a great way to explore possible situations or characters. For example, I have one story that I have written over and over again possibly seven to eight times. Each rewrite started with a different scenario or plot direction. I might not use all of them, but it has given me some great ideas.

For me, it does help to have a basic idea of where the story is going. Possibly why it has taken me so long to finish my stories XD

I say that, regardless of whether you completely finish something, it is a form of exploration. Writing takes time and it is likely that even if you sat down and forced yourself to write out the entire idea you would end up going back and editing several times afterward.

@Tsemara: I have a lot of story ideas as well that will most likely never be used. Although at some point I feel like they might eventually inspire other ideas in the future, so I keep them.

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote        
@Tsemara: Ooh, I fall into the same habit. D: I don't like it when something fun turns into an obligation.

@Gladde: That's a really good way to look at it. I just hate feeling like I'm not making any progress at all. xP

And I probably couldn't use your method of rewriting things over and over. I don't have patience for redundancy.

Gladde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:49 am Reply with quote        
@Chu: I have a bit of a buffer in the fact that I am also writing and developing my world that most of the stories take place in. Even if I am not writing stories, I feel like I am still making progress or at least going towards a goal. I have several writing journals, one that is completely filled up with all my different story, character, or misc. ideas. It has really helped to satisfy my craving to write, especially if I feel like I have no stories that I want to work on.

Perhaps that is something worth integrating into your life as a writer?

As to rewriting, they are not all the same. In one, the main character is going to be sent overseas to another school. Another has his family killed and he wanders off (I am very much into the fantasy/sci-fi genre) Laugh They have the same character, but completely different scenarios. So essentially, it isn't really the same exact story being written over and over again.

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote        
Wow, I'd love to have your perspective on writing. DX I feel like I'd get much more done that way, haha.

Or maybe I'm just lazy. xP Either way, something's gotta change.

Ah, I understand then. It's really interesting that you write all of those scenarios for your character. I can see how that would make him more interesting and realistic too.

Gladde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote        
Creative writing for me has always been such a passion. It is the same with drawing. The two just developed at the same time and I have a desire to continue to see them grow.

Although I think there is something to be said for obligatory writing. If you have to do something, eventually it has the potential become a chore. I think if you reach that point, that it is important to reevaluate why it has become that way.

I still love to write, but I have been writing less than I used to. I think that is because I am such an internet addict Laugh But also I think college has overrun my desire to write. All those papers for so many different classes can just be so exhausting. Yet it also makes me appreciate the creative process as well.

Maybe you just need a break and take time to examine why you are writing and what you want to do with it. Is your goal to become a published writer or is writing something that you just want for yourself and perhaps eventually it will lead to a potential career?

I've had several dialogues with myself about this, haha Roll Eyes But also with my mom and Grandma as well.

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote        
Yeah, I'm really the same way. I used to be on top of everything when it came to creative writing. I only wrote for myself, but I had so much fun doing it! Then, I got into advanced classes and they totally drained my energy with all of the papers and such. They did help me find rhetoric and purpose, so my writing is MUCH better than it used to be, but I just don't want to write any more than I'm required to now.

But yes, now I want to get published so that I can share my thoughts and ideas with others. Smile I feel like what I have to say - and how I say it - is quite unique and enjoyable. Although I am kind of afraid of misinterpretation. xP

Gladde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote        
Eh, people are bound to always misinterpret something in your writings. There are millions of people, each with their own experience. The best and amazing thing that you can do is try and inspire at least one Happy

That's great that your writing has been improving. I am thinking about doing my Master's in Creative Writing, more as a form of self-improvement and to give me the ability to reach that next step...if I ever wanted to.

I think school can be quite draining. It is nice to have a reprieve from it every now and then. I remember reading in one book about how to science fiction that it is important for writers to take a walk. I really find that it helps, during the times that I actually get up and go outside Laugh Also, I'm not big on doing housework, but I find that gardening or doing dishes helps my creative process as well. Mainly because I am there alone with my thoughts, which goes every which way.

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote        
Reading that made me giddy. >< I'm such a nerd.

That sounds good. Smile I think that I'd get a lot out of that experience as well.

Yeah, I always take walks during the school year. Getting the blood flowing is the best way for me to get focused on something. Lately though, there's been a lot of rain so I've settled for exercising inside. I'M GETTING ABS! XD If you knew what I looked like, you'd find it equally hilarious.

Even though I'm really lovin' this conversation, Gladde, we're getting a little off topic. ^^; Maybe I can open up a writer's hangout like Maeve did in the roleplay section? I'd have to run it by Cat though.

Gladde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote        
*pats fellow nerd on the back* Yay for nerdiness Happy

Well, you are one up on me as far as getting exercise in your schedule. I live peacefully in my cave on the western side corner of the house Sweat I come out only for food and occasional conversation with family.

A hangout would be cool ^^
Alright, well, I will cease my chatter here and move it else where :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote        
Weirdly enough, I find that more spiritual things help me with my writing. Church, meditation, the energy shares I used to go to... I always end up coming away from those things with a few ideas. I guess you can call it "divine inspiration" or something like that.

Sharij

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote        
You know, I have a very very very long story made up in my mind... It's a crossover from all the books, movies, animes, mangas or games I like.....

*Now* I know that this was my way to live with my feelings I could not express in any other way.... So I always wrote down pieces of this story, which is in my mind all the time and which I had thought through very often for the last 6 years or so..... (but I stopped when I moved out because I could finally change my way of thinking)

So I always worte down those pieces of the story that expresses my recent mood the most...... Or... actually.... pretty much exactly.....
which were, by the way, very brutal and sad scenes for the last years, though the story has *some* not so sad scenes....

I once then tried to write everything in chronological order (the way it would be written in a book), but I lost the morale after about a month of writing 1 page per day (I posted them in a Harry Potter fan forum because all begins were HP7 ends.... (on computer, 12TNR)
(which was, by the way, because the story started with a dream I had which I didn't want to stop, and I lay in bed and let the dream go on intentionally, that was, when the 5th book had just come out, but I had to make a new beginning after I read HP7 because it was too different....^^

I have not written down many other stories... But I guess I'd just start with some random scene I liked and then start with the beginning and go on... Though I'd also write down the scenes that I think I MUST write down NOW because otherwise I would not remember them perfectly....^^

I made the scenes up while lying in bed, that always worked very fine with me (though that explains the very slow progress; I *rethought* some scenes very very often because I just didn't remember what I thought the night before xD)

Also I think through different alternatives, because then I can see how the work in the whole context of the story.
Martyr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote        
Most of my inspirations / ideas come from dreams, which is quite rare for me to remember. One such dream was like an alternative to Death Note that is basically opposite to everything it represents. Anyway, whenever I get these ideas I have to write them down. Most often I'll run through a scene or two for a couple of hours when laying in bed and then look at the clock and see its 4am, that's when I have to force myself to stop and write down the most important details so I don't forget.

But really the need to write something down varies according to the source of inspiration; if it's a dream I must write it down immediately (the same with a completely original / uninspired idea), if it's a random thought from another story / fanfiction etc then I really need to write it down as well, but if I am truly inspired from another's story or work then I don't really write it down so fast and just let it develop a little until it's been adapted so much I consider it original (I think that if it is truly inspirational then every time I see that work, I'll be inspired all over again).

Now what I do with these ideas is to usually write them out as a short paragraph that contains the theme and purpose / reason of the story. Sometimes it may also be just a question or the dialogue of the main character instead. After that I hit a wall. I just don't go further to develop the stories because I can't decide what would be the best way to present the work. "Oh that would make the perfect manga! Wow such detail can only come from a story or novel! Really, anime is the only was to show such vivid actions!", I just feel that one plot would best be represented a certain way / ways but because I don't regularly draw / write I know my abilities are severely limited so I wouldn't want to spoil the plot.
D.Morrissey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote        
I write down whatever comes to me no matter what else I'm writing. Sometimes I'll manage to turn the page or open a new document before I write the new idea down if I'm already writing, but I don't really care. So I always keep highlighters on the side so that way I can highlight the different ideas. If I want to expand on the idea I'll get a new page on word or in a notebook and use a matching pen or font color so that way I don't lose track of the idea. Sometimes I forget things quickly and so I keep the original thought around to remind me what I was thinking of at the time. I've always been told that if I forgot it it couldn't have been a very good idea in the first place. It isn't completely true. Good, bad, I forget everything.
I'm quite visual and so I tend to work with a lot of colors and I enjoy doodling (even bad stick people doodles) so if maybe I can't fully articulate the idea at the moment I draw what I can. If it is a sad topic I'll use a color that might inspire saddening thoughts.
Another thing I do is I write a one shot. Usually, if I can form a clear one shot then I can create a fully formed story.
I'm at the stage in my writing where my writing is easily influenced and changes with each piece I write. So for me it's important that I get everything down in one form or another.