Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Storybook
ikittycat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote        
This is a journal entry I did speaking in first person as Bruno from the movie The Boy In Striped Pajamas. Warning this material is graphic containing imaging based on that of a little boy's mind during World War II. Please understand the names used are strictly to keep WWII content only. I am not racist in any way. I agree with Bruno. : )
Please share your thoughts, kay.
Thanks in advance,
Kitty : )

Topic: Friends are everlasting; how would Bruno describe his strong friendship with Shmole?

Dear Diary,

They say the Jew is bad. They say the Jew is the reason and fault for the Great World War and that the Jew must be punished. They say the Jew must pay, but how it is the Jew’s fault? I just do not understand. Father says what he is doing is for the good of our country, and that mean soldier told me never to befriend a Jew. Even Sister is now changing. She told me it would be impossible to find a nice Jew, but I disagree. I disagree with them all!
Shmole and I are friends no matter what. I do not see him as a Jew; I see him as a person. For that is what he is. Our friendship is spectacular, and nothing will ever break it. Not hate, not people, NOTHING! We will continue to be friends regardless of what anyone says. I will go and see him everyday because friendship can withstand the hardest of obstacles.
Shmole and I will bounce basketballs over the high fence. We will play checkers and giggle whole-heartedly over the silliest of things. We will knock tennis balls back and forth against our rackets. However, most of all, Shmole and I will have fun no matter what anyone says because friendship stands though thick and thin.
Sincerely,
Bruno

Kliz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote        
Well, I have not yet seen the movie you're referring to, but I figure I'd give a review of this piece individually. If that’s alright, of course.

Apparently his sentences are very short and simple; even his conclusions are very simple. This implies a lower level of intelligence, If that is what you were going for. It seems like in two/three very short paragraphs he goes from caring/wondering about why other people think what they think to not caring at all for the sake of friendship with a "Jew". I understand it's a journal entry meant for himself, but as an individual piece of literature it leave many questions about what situation he is talking about.

Unless you are supposed to know the character well before reading your journal.

Hmmm... I don‘t know fully, but as an individual piece it needs some more explanation. But if meant to be a part of a whole journal (as it may be) it might be okay. As long as everything else is explained elsewhere in the ‘journal’.

Are you making a whole journal, then? Or are these meant as individual pieces of literature? ^^
ecco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote        
when i watched the film, i remember finding Bruno to be a child who was intelligent, but also incredibely naive. and that is the feeling i get when i read this second journal entry. well done i say Happy

killerkitty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote        
=( reading the book The boy in striped pajamas made me sad...

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote        
This is good,but referring to what ecco said he was very naive, and i find this does not entirely display that. He doesn't really know or understand what is going on and keep in mind the family also influences him so every now and then he will think the jewish boy is bad, so he should be confused and not as lenient towards the friendship but not as prejudiced either. Its a strong but still very childish friendship.

He should more neutral methinks. E.g, "The Jewish boy must be bad.They all say so, but he is great fun nonetheless and exceptional at checkers. He is much smaller and is always hungry, he looks frail, and with that aside what harm can he really do behind a fence? I guess I just wont let father find out because I would really like to and will continue playing with him."
fireman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote        
I like this topic! your storybook is amazing! keep going!